Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disconnection / Termination charges

• 19-06-2004 5:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

'The Process of Choosing Irish BB', aka
    'The Lesser of Four / Five Evils'
    That was going to be the Subject, but it would have just been truncated.

I'm trying to find a reasonable BB provider, 512 speed, reasonable download cap and reliable - although the last point could be tricky.
    I'm quite sure I won't be staying around long enough to run out the 12month contract that is common place among providers so termination charges will affect my discussion. I have drawn up the following table that I have been working on to help me, but some I can't find some information. So if you know the values marked with a ? can you let me know. Also, information on reliability would be good, from the posts I've been reading Eircom seem to be the most reliable - but expensive and a low cap.
    Eircom	= Home Plus
    IOL	= Broadband Plus
    UTV	= Clicksilver Plus
    Digiweb	= Homejet
    NS	= Origin Plus

Eircom	IOL	UTV	Digiweb	NS
    Contract	12	12	12	12	2
    Break contract	?	?	€85	€100	€85
    Pay re. Months	Yes	Yes	Yes	?	?
    Speed		512	512	512	512	512
    Cap		8	16	16	10	16
    Monthly		€54.45	€47	€45	€39	€45
    Free		Sept	4 Mths	4 Mths	3 Mths	NA
    Connection fee	free	€80	€99	free	€81.81

TIA

-aland-

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 refused

I realise some of the terms I used in the table are not instantly obvious.

'Break contract' - Amount of money you have to pay if you break the contract before 12 months.
    'Pay re. Months' - If you have to pay for the remaining months in the contract.
    'Free' - If they are offering the 'free trial' that Eircom are offering these days.
    'Connection fee' - Well this is obvious, but the UTV connection fee is carefully written in legalprint (ie - small print), and I almost missed it in my researching.

Peace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 refused

No one has anything to say?
    I'm sorry if this has already been covered before in another thread and that's why no one is replying. I couldn't find anything last night but I'll go looking again.

Peace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by refused
    'Free' - If they are offering the 'free trial' that Eircom are offering these days.
    Eircom aren't offering a free trial - eircom are offering free broadband until August 31st. If you sign up today, you'll be lucky to get 2 months free.

IOL and UTV are offering a free trial - but the 12 months contract doesn't start until after the 3 month free trial, so if you signed up today, and wanted to quit at the end of December, for example, you'd still have 9 months of your 12 month contract still to pay for.

Advertisement