Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SWG 14 day free trial

Options
  • 19-06-2004 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭

This has been around a while, but since I haven't seen it mentioned here, Starwars Galaxies is currently offering a 14 day free trial. There are somethings you can't do when on the trial, but it gives a good idea of what the game is like.
    It does however require a 2gb download.

But still, it is free.

http://www.fileplanet.com/files/140000/140938.shtml

- Drakar

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Neocron also has a 10 day free trial.

www.neocron.com

Any others?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Planetside had a 15 day trial that just ended. Only found out about it with 2 days left and all my old characters had been deleted :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

Darn, I really wanted a Planetside trial. Looks like it's quick to pick up (no spending 10 months saving up for +9gazillion composite bow).

On a separate note, I think some people mentioned that Eve can give you 7 days free if someone refers you.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Jilm

Anarchy Online have a free 7 day trial.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

hmmm interoosting , would love to give planetside a go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Rnger

got SwG a few days back on trial.

its good! i picked a wookie marksman on chilastra. anyone else on this server?

My trial of SWG is over now, I thought it was quite good. You do have to buy the actual game though to keep playing (even though you've downloaded it all and no 'real' shop seems to have it in stock). If you buy it from the States is around $28, if you buy it from the uk it's like £28. I'd be on for waiting for the cheapo version to get over here.

Of course, they're just sucking players in for the Jump to Lightspace expansion, so you have to buy another one then hehe. Definately well worth the trial though. I'd be eager to try out some of the others to see are they as money thirsty hehe.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Originally posted by Hobbes
    Neocron also has a 10 day free trial.

www.neocron.com

Any others?

how does that trial work ? you need a buddy key or somthing ? cant find anything on the website.

Originally posted by Tusky
    how does that trial work ? you need a buddy key or somthing ? cant find anything on the website.
    Select Download -> Neocron Game from the left hand menu. You do need to enter credit card details if I remember correctly, but you can cancel straight away and keep playing till the 10 days are up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Ok I downloaded this game and love it. I have like 3 days left on the trial and want to buy it, the problem is I don't have a credit card. Does anyone know where I can get this game?I've checked Game, PCworld and Gamestop and none of them have it, also do you know where to get some game cards for it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

I usually hate these type of games - didnt like DAoC or that other one before it that i can't remember the name of - but this SWG is great!

I picked it up for €19.99 in PC World in Dundalk over 2 months ago so I dunno how you're all finding these prices!

[edit]
    [smack]
    Read the posts properly [/smack]
    [/edit]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Batbat

SWG is ****e, so so dull, insane grind also, the jedi rules are stupid,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

IAF galaxies has its problems but it is still a fantastic game, just like any mmorpg if its not to your tastes doesnt mean its a crap game, just not your type of game.

i recently started playing again, i missed my house will all my rare stuff and items collapsing by 10 days, didnt really phase me as i wanna pvp from now on and hopefully joining kds this sunday. i spent my remaining cash getting back to master smuggler and buying a new suit of armor etc, theres so much in the game now i was only way for a few months and havent got a clue what a credit is worth anymore.

if you like star wars, this is a good game for you, if you like mmorpgs on a very very large scale, then this is prety good. if you like the smaller close nit groups of players maybe not this game.

if you play this game to be a jedi, be prepared to not like this game, as it takes a long long time or a LOT of effort to actualy be a jedi, and then jedi are insanley hard to level.

from day 1 i said i didnt want to be a jedi, but then i found myself with 4 holocrons (jedi clues) and decided to go for it, now ive finished all 4 im not that bothered to finish it, i like playing the game as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

Originally posted by jaggeh

i recently started playing again, i missed my house will all my rare stuff and items collapsing by 10 days, didnt really phase me as i wanna pvp from now on and hopefully joining kds this sunday.

imperial scum :)

were you the fellow boards user i ran into in TSA stronghold the other night?

said he knew me from boards but never got his name, as i got quickly buffed and started to attack some of the scummy imps they left behind after attacking the city :P

that was teethy aka anavel

my char was the master smuggler that helped in the take down, we ravaged TSA and ECHO base :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

And you say you didn't enjoy it?!

It is a great game. The thing I love about it is that you don't have to be playing 24/7 to be quite good at it. I've played for about 10 days at about 3 hours a day and I still feel like I am well up with the guys that play every night for 7 hours! (Maybe not super but at least I can fit in there without looking like an asshole!) #

The fact that it takes a while to become way better than the rest is it's best quality if you ask me. Because then it caters for the real hardcore players as well as the leisure players. And the real hardcore players have to really work to get places. But the latest publish and soon-to-be publish 10 seem to cater for these HCP's fairly well it seems (from a newbies perspective.)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

You talking about power gamers clowny? Yeah the only professions which take more than about 2-3 days of heavy gaming to level are the entertainer professions. Professions like brawler are easy to level. Infact it took me about 18 hours total to level to master fencer from scratch (and at that I was messing about a good part of the time).

Since the start of the game I also said I wouldn't push to become a jedi, and i've kept that idea up until a few days ago. Basically getting more and more into PvP i've found that you'd be equally matched against 1, or 2 PvPers at once (depending on who it is you can even take up to about 8 at once), but as soon as you meet a jedi who's leveled a bit, you're toast. Basically nothing in the game has lightsaber defence, and it means you're royally screwed if they land a hit on you.

The number of jedi doesn't bother me. It's the number of dark jedi, and a certain dark jedi who is making the game a nightmare for some friends of mine on Farstar. CSR don't seem bothered to get involved as they believe that they don't get involved in matters within the game (even though 100+ people have sent in harrassment tickets on the guy) and that everything so far has been political intrigue. It basically means that the only thing so far that has put me off this game, has been the attitude of the people who are supposed to be policing it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Originally posted by ][cEMAN**

The number of jedi doesn't bother me. It's the number of dark jedi, and a certain dark jedi who is making the game a nightmare for some friends of mine on Farstar.

How do you define harrassment? Is the guy just good at killing you people? Ever think to set a trap for him, because AFAIK once the jedi dies they are screwed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

I think I know of the Dark Jedi in question. Does he always seem to travel around with a pack of about 30 imps for protection so you can't really get at him without organising a *MAJOR* firefight?

Nah Lemming I think you're talking about Wood. Yeah he talks about being all powerful and needing nobody yet he doesn't go anywhere without at least 10 other people and a personal master doc with him :)

Hobbes the person i'm talking about isn't going around killing people. It's a matter of a personal fued he has with a member of the city I live in. He's decided that because he doesn't like this guy he'll make the whole city (120+ people) suffer.

After being banned from the city, he used an exploit where he got someone to post on the official forums looking to setup a shop in the city. When the shop was placed, this person transfered ownership to said padawan, who then proceeded to rename it to offensive names. Ones which made a mockery of the city and its residents.

The worst part of this is that the house is situated directly infront of the Shuttleport. This spot had been the place of our Base before it was destroyed, and it was a matter of him putting it there so that we could not replace our base there.

Apart from this, he regularly sends hordes of imps to our city overt (apart from the base which was a test, we don't have overt rebels in our city) who stand around and hurl abuse at the residents. They also tend to get into duels and use the CM bug where if they poison someone in a duel, everyone within the area gets poisoned as well (area poison). It means people don't have to be overt to be attacked and poisoned/diseased.

Said Padawan then goes onto the official forums and regularly posts up threads whenever something happens. Eg. When we placed a base, instead of people finding it themselves, he immediately posted a thread all in capitals informing all imps of the base and asking them to come destroy it immediately. I wouldn't have been as bothered if this had been done for the 30 odd other rebel bases around the galaxy, but this was personal.

I know it probably sounds petty to some, but for those who have spent the last 8 months turning this city into a metropolis to only find that someone can step in, bypassing a city ban and cause so much harrassment for the entire city, it just goes to show how useless CSR are.

• Advertisement

you could always join the dark side :P

or come play on chimera :)

I have a character there. I just don't play with it much :)

Master dancer. I was going to go for master weaponsmith, but now i'm thinking that realisticly Master Fencer would be a better profession for me there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

Originally posted by Big Chief
    imperial scum :)

were you the fellow boards user i ran into in TSA stronghold the other night?

said he knew me from boards but never got his name, as i got quickly buffed and started to attack some of the scummy imps they left behind after attacking the city :P

Ah, that was me. Hi there terrorist scum! :P

Teeth. (Anavel <KDS> on Chimaera)

Hmmm sounds like I should get my chimaera character battle ready :)

If those damn imps are playing up we need to sort that out.

Terrorists? HA! What was alderan!? :p

If anyone's on Farstar, be sure to call by the pVp Superstore (co-ords: 269 -5715) just south of AnchorHead on Tatooine. Not mine, but I'm the resident (fledgling) WeaponSmith.

If you want a weapon made, gimme a shout - character's name is 'grifja'

heh, Chimaera belongs to the empire, and Lok belongs to KDS. :) Terrorist agitators will be shot on sight - a tough measure to be sure but the citizenry are relying on us to restore order.

Teeth, I don't think people on Lok realise, that they're stuck on a bottleneck planet. If enough rebels camped nym's, you wouldn't be able to get past (overts).

Lemming, if you're really any good, I have some components I would love to get made up into some swords and some pistols/rifles.

I take it you're master?

Originally posted by ][cEMAN**
    Lemming, if you're really any good, I have some components I would love to get made up into some swords and some pistols/rifles.

I take it you're master?

Unfortunately I'm a lowly lowly Novice WS. I'm trying to level up fast as I can though. Even at 0-0-0-0 I manage to make fairly decent kit though since I put quite a bit of effort into using suitable materials, and nothing less than a "great success" is generally accepted.

That said, I might not currently have the needed skills to make some of these components. What are you looking to have made?

Iceman, I don't think you realise, we're on a bottleneck planet. If rebels want to attack we can always see them coming. And with only one starport, there is no escape for them. :)

On Chimaera the Imperials rule, thanks in no small part to us.. 3 of our bases have been up for over 7 months .The 4th, which has been replaced once, was taken down using the lame tactic of logging out a demo team inside it a couple of days prior to the takedown.

They logged in during the vuln, set the countdown and then logged out again, so it looked like the base just dissappeared without any rebels being anywhere near it grrr.

The rebs have never had a successful prime-time raid against Luxor, so our bottleneck suits us just fine. :)

• Advertisement

Hmmm, any rebels on chimaera need help? I think some imps need to be put in place :P

Advertisement