Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old TV ads.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Yeah there is another video on youtube thats a compilation of these ads, about four or five them.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭jeanjolie

Anyone know that old mobile phone exchange/network advert in 2011? I'm not sure what it was but I remember they used the same music in an An Post ad in 2015?

OTOH, does anyone know where archives of ads on Irish TV are kept? Ironic that I can be looking so for something that is supposed to be memorable advertising a product/service on various media platforms but can't find it no matter how hard i try....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5 MadDogGames

Anyone remember the ad where the baby drank the guinness?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

Didn't that actually happen for real??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73 ✭✭Splishsplash

JBoyle4eva wrote: »
    I'm only 15, but recently I remember distinctly two old ESB ads.

1: A father turns on a lamp in his bedroom and goes to his baby in the middle of the night. He then goes to his kitchen to make the baby a bottle of milk.

2: I think it may be a son of the family, but somebody is coming home from somewhere and the mother at home is preparing a eal for him/her.

Does anyone know these ads, and if so, do you know a clearer discription? Also, feel free do talk about other old ads.

Jesus imagine this poster is 28 now ha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

I dont think that was an advert. It was a clip from an RTE documentary back in the 1990's. It was show only last week on RTE News...they even tracked down the mother and son to Propserous in Co. Kildare. The mother said that the 'sup of drink' didnt do him any harm back then! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

I remember this one from when I was very young.

http://ifiplayer.ie/irish-hospital-sweepstakes-vault-advert/

Thank you Aprés Match of The Day!!

I was asking about this terrible ad on one of these threads a good while ago,and I was half thinking that I imagined it all.
    Tis so ridiculous that there isn't even any need for input from the Aprés Match boys!!

Thank you Aprés Match of The Day!!

I was asking about this terrible ad on one of these threads a good while ago,and I was half thinking that I imagined it all.
    Tis so ridiculous that there isn't even any need for input from the Aprés Match boys!!

Jaysus I remember that now!

darkdubh wrote: »
    Jaysus I remember that now!

And they had the gall and the barefaced cheek to destroy "Danny Boy" with "Denny Pie"!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

I can only vaguely remember this but there was a bank ad years ago, around 1999-2003 and it was interviewing people.

A girl who was a student was talking about a loan and she says something like "braces aren't cheap, you know, chi ching"!
    God I hated that add! :/

Lorelli! wrote: »
    I can only vaguely remember this but there was a bank ad years ago, around 1999-2003 and it was interviewing people.

A girl who was a student was talking about a loan and she says something like "braces aren't cheap, you know, chi ching"!
    God I hated that add! :/
    Yep, I remember that well enough.
    I used to always wonder what the hell she meant when she said
    "..... train tracks are ching ching".

I actually found it a bit funny how they made out in the ad that all the students were lying about why they wanted money!!

Yep, I remember that well enough.
    I used to always wonder what the hell she meant when she said
    "..... train tracks are ching ching".

I actually found it a bit funny how they made out in the ad that all the students were lying about why they wanted money!!

Ah ye, they were meant to be lying and it was train tracks she said! The ad was so cringeworthy! :/:)

I remember the lads in my class quoting from this as a sort of in joke one for ages!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

lord lucan wrote: »

Must be a bit of traffic on the site today (understandably) because its slow and crashing a bit.

Some belters there though and some that should never have seen the light of day again :D. Different times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭cml387

Predictably enough the site has been laid low by the demand.
    Maybe in a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭Hendrickp

Hi All, I know this is a long shot but can anyone help with an old advert I’ve been looking for, for ages. It's an ad from 1990 (either 1990 or 1991) and it was for a Bank of Ireland Accent ATM card. It had Dervla Kirwan and the guy who played Imelda Quirke’s boyfriend in the Commitments in it (I think). My wife is apparently in the advert somewhere in the background and I’d love to get another look at it after all these years. Does anyone else even remember the ad???

Re the IFI player ads theres very few that I remember, a lot of them seem to be pre 1975. Of those that are theres a few that I'm sure have been shown on Reeling In The Years.

darkdubh wrote: »
    Re the IFI player ads theres very few that I remember, a lot of them seem to be pre 1975. Of those that are theres a few that I'm sure have been shown on Reeling In The Years.
    Definitely. They have the Schweppes "Slimline look" which was on Reeling In The Years.

The picture quality is incredible on them.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Don't seem to be any of the old health and safety ads included, I was hoping there might be a few of those.

I remember this one and finding it slightly creepy at the time.

http://ifiplayer.ie/three-hands/

laughing at this irish army one here

http://ifiplayer.ie/the-irish-army/

"its a mans life" :D there would be war if it was said today and quite right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56 ✭✭omah

That ifiplayer is great, really enjoyed seeing the old ads - the CIE one is so funny seeing the latest technology at that time....the voiceover guy's accent is well interesting...bit of a BBC accent creeping in...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Don't seem to be any of the old health and safety ads included, I was hoping there might be a few of those.

Didn't think they would be. Not sure who has the rights - most of them were commissioned by the long-defunct Health Education Bureau.

The Brits have the Central Office of Information and as a result can get their hands on DVDs like these and also this

Didn't think they would be. Not sure who has the rights - most of them were commissioned by the long-defunct Health Education Bureau.

The Brits have the Central Office of Information and as a result can get their hands on DVDs like these and also this

It's rather a pity that they have chosen to monetise them.

Most are still available on youtube. Though I'm too old, I think this ad scared teh bejasus out of many and English youth at the time:

cml387 wrote: »
    It's rather a pity that they have chosen to monetise them.

Most are still available on youtube.

I don't agree. I think archive television is worth paying for. YouTube is fine but doesn't compare to owning a DVD. It's important to preserve the past on a durable medium - RTE could learn a lot from them. One excuse I heard for the lack of Irish archive DVD releases was this

"The contracts that the actors signed didn't envisage home video releases - just television broadcasts."

What a load of crap. The same type of contracts were in force for ITV and BBC productions and that hasn't stopped Network and Simply DVD releasing vast numbers of quality programmes from the golden era (1960 - 1989).

I don't agree. I think archive television is worth paying for. YouTube is fine but doesn't compare to owning a DVD. It's important to preserve the past on a durable medium - RTE could learn a lot from them. One excuse I heard for the lack of Irish archive DVD releases was this

"The contracts that the actors signed didn't envisage home video releases - just television broadcasts."

What a load of crap. The same type of contracts were in force for ITV and BBC productions and that hasn't stopped Network and Simply DVD releasing vast numbers of quality programmes from the golden era (1960 - 1989).

I agree. If the will was there it would be done RTE would rather let it moulder in an archive than do something with it.

• Advertisement

cml387 wrote: »
    I agree. If the will was there it would be done RTE would rather let it moulder in an archive than do something with it.

Yes, they could do a licensing deal with Network who would gladly release the likes of Bracken, Glenroe, various dramas (especially ones that also got broadcast on UTV / HTV). But they seem happier to let them rot.

Advertisement