Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old TV ads.

Comments

I was looking at this one and thinking "the poor fish!" :eek:

http://ifiplayer.ie/dublin-corporation-water/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭George White

Yes, they could do a licensing deal with Network who would gladly release the likes of Bracken, Glenroe, various dramas (especially ones that also got broadcast on UTV / HTV). But they seem happier to let them rot.

I recently mentioned this in a letter to Minister Denis Naughten, saying this is one of the problems RTE have, in regards to their archive.

Yes, they could do a licensing deal with Network who would gladly release the likes of Bracken, Glenroe, various dramas (especially ones that also got broadcast on UTV / HTV). But they seem happier to let them rot.

Literally letting them rot probably like the IFI. Those old ad film reels were in a damp warehouse with almost 15 years and had to be restored and digitised. Such an unnecessary waste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭cml387

Literally letting them rot probably like the IFI. Those old ad film reels were in a damp warehouse with almost 15 years and had to be restored and digitised. Such an unnecessary waste.
    In fairness it was the IFI that restored them. They were found in the attic of an advertising company (I'd guess hartnell).

We need to put pressure on RTE to sort their archive out. I've mentioned it in correspondence with Denis Naughten, now I need to tell RTE themselves.

• Advertisement

cml387 wrote: »
    In fairness it was the IFI that restored them. They were found in the attic of an advertising company (I'd guess hartnell).

Oh I thought they were in the IFI warehouse?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Earlier than 92, I remember this was shown during ad breaks between matches during the 1990 World Cup. Weirdly the very first time I saw it I thought that the sour wan looking yer man up and down when he sits on the sofa was a fella and that was why he was acting uncomfortable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

We need to put pressure on RTE to sort their archive out. I've mentioned it in correspondence with Denis Naughten, now I need to tell RTE themselves.

Please let us know what response you get George - would be very interested to hear.

Please let us know what response you get George - would be very interested to hear.

I phoned the archive, and they would only let me speak to customer services, and she told me she'd put it to them, but I went on about how Network DVD would be interested, how something like the BBC Store may be needed...
    And then I contacted the IFI, was told to email Kassandra O'Connell and I am waiting back on an answer.
    I'm not giving up on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

The Creaghs lasted until 1990.

• Advertisement

There was another ad for washing powder with the line "Oh Daddy your shirt smells!"

• Registered Users Posts: 13 nitsujj

And there was that great jingle for Clinic Hair Shampoo - "my mum, my dad, my brother john, they all like it too.  It's not a fancy bottle, its not a fancy price. it keeps your hair so shiny and feeling oh so nice".  How I miss the craft of jingle writing - they don't bother with it anymore in adverts - they just pay royalties for the lastest music hit.

I phoned the archive, and they would only let me speak to customer services, and she told me she'd put it to them, but I went on about how Network DVD would be interested, how something like the BBC Store may be needed...
    And then I contacted the IFI, was told to email Kassandra O'Connell and I am waiting back on an answer.
    I'm not giving up on this.

IFI and Kasandra told me they tried, and basically RTE don't want to pay residuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 GaillimhWest

Old Car TV Advert!

Does anybody remember a TV ad (circa late 90's/early 00's) that featured a car (possibly Volkswagen) driving around Ireland to different Irish towns and through villages but it had computer game style graphics?

I think the car was white or yellow and may have been a Volkswagen Beetle! Remember the ad having a Grand Theft Auto Style to it and this was the era of the Esso filling stations!

Anyone recall ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

No! But I do remember freaking out seeing the Statoil guy as the Finnish hockey coach in Mighty Ducks 2!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

Remember early 90s Calor Gas catchy ad jingle....
    "turn around turn onto gas. ..when you want that instant heat ooooh! Turn around turn onto gas...clean safe Calor gives you so much more!"
    And around the same time, the "ooh you gotta make it-Maxwell House...make it Maxwell House!!!" one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Jack_Ian

youtube etc /watch?v=tAlyRh-KuNU

New user, so can't post images.
    The above will link to the Pepsi Ad with the "Hey Eddie! How come you're such a big hit with the girls" beginning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

I'd love to see more of these ads coming online in the future. Including the one which broadcast in the early to mid 80s when phone box vandalism was a problem. It was set to Pink Floyd's Another Brick in the Wall and featured a gang of leather-clad youths walking up along a darkened street, singing a song set to the tune of Pink Floyd's Another Brick in the Wall. All the time, a vandal is smashing the phone in the local phonebox.

I think these were the lyrics but I could be very wrong on a lot of this
    "We don't need your stupid messing
    We all want to use the phone
    No smash the phonebox ...(can't remember this line)
    Everybody needs the phone.

Hey stupid, leave that phone alone"

Then to top it all off, Bob Geldof appears and says "Phone wreckers are idiots"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

I'd love to see more of these ads coming online in the future. Including the one which broadcast in the early to mid 80s when phone box vandalism was a problem. It was set to Pink Floyd's Another Brick in the Wall and featured a gang of leather-clad youths walking up along a darkened street, singing a song set to the tune of Pink Floyd's Another Brick in the Wall. All the time, a vandal is smashing the phone in the local phonebox.

I think these were the lyrics but I could be very wrong on a lot of this
    "We don't need your stupid messing
    We all want to use the phone
    No smash the phonebox ...(can't remember this line)
    Everybody needs the phone.

Hey stupid, leave that phone alone"

Then to top it all off, Bob Geldof appears and says "Phone wreckers are idiots"

Ah my memory is better than I thought. And the ad looks and sounds even worse than I thought it'd be. I recognise the phone vandal too http://m.imdb.com/name/nm0533942/

• Advertisement

Ah my memory is better than I thought. And the ad looks and sounds even worse than I thought it'd be. I recognise the phone vandal too http://m.imdb.com/name/nm0533942/

Yep, and he also played Johnny One in Fair City.

The voice at the end is recognisable too-tis none other than that arsehole Mark Cagney.

Better quality version here

So much fame in the one ad. Perhaps the most ridiculous thing about the ad is the pristine condition of the phone box itself. Look at the pristine copies of the phone books and the lovely graffiti-free glass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

Better quality version here

So much fame in the one ad. Perhaps the most ridiculous thing about the ad is the pristine condition of the phone box itself. Look at the pristine copies of the phone books and the lovely graffiti-free glass.

I remember when that ad came out they had a feature on the RTE news about the launch of the campaign with Bob giving out about a phonebox that had been vandalised. I think they showed him inside it and he was saying something like "look here, they even tried to burn it".

Can anyone remember those ads for Jaffa Cakes in the late 90s?
    One of them had a teacher eating all the Jaffa Cakes in front of the kids in the classroom,and pretending that each one of them was the moon disappearing or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Can anyone remember those ads for Jaffa Cakes in the late 90s?
    One of them had a teacher eating all the Jaffa Cakes in front of the kids in the classroom,and pretending that each one of them was the moon disappearing or something.

I remember that ad.

Full moon!
    Half moon!
    Total eclipse

branie2 wrote: »
    I remember that ad.

Full moon!
    Half moon!
    Total eclipse

Yep - now tis come back to me in a flash.
    Wasn't she a French teacher or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I think she was a primary school teacher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

• Advertisement

lord lucan wrote: »

That is actually funny seeing it again!!

I've remembered another one,which had a mother pretending to make things from the plastic containers for her child while scoffing the jaffa cakes at the same time,and at the end,
    with her mouth full,she says "Now Mummy is gonna make you a set of funny ears". Obviously what the child really wants is a jaffa cake!!

Advertisement