Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Holland v Czech Rep. Preview/Scores/Review

• 19-06-2004 7:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭

Im going for Czechs to win @ 3/1

Should be a great game, starts @ 7.45

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The Czechs should go for it bigtime to render the Germany game meaningless (for them), while 1 point so far means the Dutch have to win given Lativas form, should be good. :)

Czechs to win by a goal.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

2 decent chances withing 3 minutes to the czechs, shaping up for a good game

edit**** 1-0 dutch, header from set piece

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Stiltskin

Could be a few goals in this one. Taking the Czechs to win 3-2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

The Czech's are 6/1 to win now, might be worth a punt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Fuuuuuck 2-0.

They should still beat Germany even if they lose this.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Originally posted by Stiltskin

well you 2 fifths of the way there 2-0 holland

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

2-1 exiting stuff well pld baros

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

2-1!

Woo!

2-1, haha missed the dutch 2nd, then bam

what a game so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

LOL, that was a terrible Dutch mistake.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Good game ,at last a game of lets out score the other team :)

kdjac

FFS First VanDiver is deemed to have dived but does'nt get booked then he scores from an off-side positon!

That rule has to be revoked :( At least the Czechs are very lively up front and the Dutch defense is dodgy.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

the idiots on bbc claimed van nistelrooy dived and looked for a penalty when he was clearly dragged to the ground.

cast iron penalty, no doubt.

great match so far, my 1st actually as im only back from hols.

what a retarded offside rule :/

Can someone tell me if radzinski is playing??/ rte muppets

BAROSSSssSS

goal of the tournie

2-2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

I thought the same too but with The T replacing the C you pronounce it Rositky instead of Rosicky.

3-2 Amazing game!

Best game ive seen in ages, 3-2

somebody here predicted that

not over just yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

3-2 another Pool boy Smicer, a great game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Originally posted by Stiltskin

Hope you had a few quid on that. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

What a game ,shame the ref ruined it by being a wnaker and sending that lad off.

Who had the 3-2 bet on?? gis a lend :D

kdjac

Game of the tornament! :D What a strike from Nedved
    real pity it did'nt go in, but a pity he took a dive too.

The ref was awful both fussy and inconsistent.

Mike.

Baros nets again too. €20 at 50-1 for him to be top goalscorer is looking alright now.

No money on it unfortunately:mad:

Best game I've seen in a while though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Shaque attack

what a game the czechs were especially baros and nedved. all the commentators are saying that a draw would have been a fair result which is rubbish cause van nistleroy was def offside well played czech republic

won 60quid on a 3/1 czech win, great game, it had everything

goals/dodgy decisions/hitting post/sending off/bookings/stupid subs/great saves/everything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭muffen

I am REALLY annoyed right now... who was that guy with the whistle? .. he sure wasn't a referee... I really hope he doesn't see another Euro match from anywhere else than the side of the pitch, because he was straight out horrible!!

Holland played great, but I do not believe that the score would have been the same with a good referee...

I really feel sorry for Holland, its a great team, and the spirit was high.. they got their act together and they loose like this after playing some marvelous football...

I've always said that on a good day, there is nothing more beautiful then seeing the dutchies play ... still cannot believe what happened there :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

awesome game

• Advertisement

Holland should still go through. They'll slaughter Latvia and I can't see the horribly dull Germans beating the Czechs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

What a game, but again this ridiculous new offside rule comes in, how the hell can Van Nixtlerooy not be interfering with the game when he has a 35 yard advantage over the defender, and then scores, this is the most ridiculous rule ever.

I disagreed with schmeicel saying holland deserbed to win the tournament on that peformance, IMO it gets them level after an atrocious performance in the german game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Ive got my lsat 4 games for the pools correct , and all thx to that useless piece of crap Smicer , and of course the not so useless other people in the Czech (especially Poborski Baros Cech and Nedved )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Brilliant game. Czech Republic just don't seem to beatable at the moment, they've made the most impressive start out of any of the teams so far.

As a Liverpool fan, both Baros and Smicer really impressed me. I'm starting to think seeing the back of Michael Owen would be a good thing, if we had Cisse and Baros up front next season! Smicer will prove to be useless as ever, I suspect though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Jaysus this was a stonker of a match... There was 30+ attempts on goal and some incredible long range efforts. This game is now the best game I have ever watched on TV, really was that good in my opinion.

Originally posted by NekkidBibleMan

As a Liverpool fan, both Baros and Smicer really impressed me. I'm starting to think seeing the back of Michael Owen would be a good thing, if we had Cisse and Baros up front next season! Smicer will prove to be useless as ever, I suspect though.

Smicer is'nt useless Houllier was if you get my point.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Originally posted by mike65
    Smicer is'nt useless Houllier was if you get my point.

Mike.

yeah, houllier was at fault for ruining a couple of decent players, Im not a heskey fan but he was a decent striker, playing him as a left winger was ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Worst game EVER!

Nah, just kidding. Wish I had taped it now so I could watch it again. It was that good.

Despite me being an ABH I was to glad to see the Dutch losing after Van Horseface scored with his usual cynical brand of gamesmanship.

Notable how Umpalumpa (or whatever that Czech CB was called :) ) skinned VanHorse for pace everytime tonight. So it's looked like resorting to abusing the offside laws was the only way he was gonna score anyway!

Originally posted by Stekelly
    yeah, houllier was at fault for ruining a couple of decent players, Im not a heskey fan but he was a decent striker, playing him as a left winger was ridiculous.

As far as I remember anyway, Heskey WAS primarily a left winger when he was bought from Leicester - and a decent one too if I remember? Houllier then converted him into a striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Dewey

That was the best match of the tourament without doubt.
    I feel really sorry for holland, they didnt deserve to lose the match but when you have a coach who wants to settle for the 2-1 lead by making stupid subs with over half an hour to play against a very good czech side, then your going to be punished.
    Great goal by Baros, and when a strike from Nedved, he was 30 yards out and had a shot that hit the bar...brilliant.
    That was one of the worst referees ever. Ruudy should of had a peno and there was no why that was a sending off. I not sure if Holland will get threw to the next round, If Czechs play a weaken side agaisnt Germany then the germans might take advantage but i expect holland to beat Latvia 4, or 5-0.

My bet for Czech Republic to win Euro 2004 is looking alright at 14/1. but i had holland to win or draw tonight.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

best game of the tournament so far, great game :D thats what the Euro finals should be all about. A bit disapointed that Holland didnt get a result out of it. They looked great when they were playing 4-3-3 and were unlucky to get a man sent off. Hopefully Holland will go through.

the Czech's look like they will at least get to the final if not win the tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

definately hope holland make it and germany are put out, which is what i tipped from the beginning, but god germany are dull
    i don't think holland will beat latvia 4 or 5, probably one or two
    and germany shouldn't really have a chance against the czechs

could be czech rep., spain or italy to win the championship
    dunno if that fool trapatoni will play the right team though, spain simply have a chance because they play good wide players and none of this ball through the eye of a needle passing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Cynical brand of gamesmanship?
    What the **** :P

Do you expect him to say, oh wait a minute, I don't agree with this new rule, so I'm just gona miss on purpose!?
    Even though every other top striker would do the exact same thing in a second?
    Problem is with Fifa :) and their stupid rule

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

That was a great entertaining game. The Czech's deserved to win it in fairness but the result could have gone either way. The score could have been any one of a number of combinations 4-3, etc.

I agree with most comments about the ref as he was pedantic and that was not a sending off - a foul yes, but not deserving of a yellow card.

In terms of Van Nistelrooy's 2nd goal, he was offside but the linesman and ref missed it. According to the rules a player is not offside if they are not interfering with play for a phase. As it was still the same attack it was still the same phase. vN has used the same tactic in other matches and got away with it. I appreciate vN's poaching and striking capabilities, but with all his gamesmanship, pulling and dragging of defenders, hassling goalkeepers at dead-ball situations, etc, it puts a real tarnish on him as a player imo and my opinion of him has gone down over the last year or so.

Fantastic play by Nedved, Baros, Poborsky and Smicer.

The Dutch formation was quite unusual, a sort of 5-4-1 (Cocu played in defense!) with the full-backs going up and then the two wide midfielders joing RvN up front. Playing both Davids and Seedorf in a diamon and Cocu in between Bouma and Stam.
    Cocu is not as good as Frank Rikjaard in terms of being the total footballer and his mistakes led to some of the goals. The Dutch were poor at man-marking, for example, the Kohler chest down to Baros - they were all ball watching. The Dutch once again used van Brockhurst as a full-back, a player who is clearly midfielder. Robben played well I thought and it was a big mistake to take him off. I didnt rate Advocaat as a manager before the tournament and he will have to go.

Games like these is what makes the EC perhaps better than the world cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Regarding the Van Nistelrroy incident

As far as I know if he is retreating when the ball is played to another player then he is considered onside, under the new rules he has to be the player that the ball is played to to be offside. After that he is considered onside from then on. Not sure if I agree with the rules but he is just taking advantage of them as they are.

I'm sure that this has been discussed at length in other threads in the past. But RvN was in an offside position and gained an advantage in doing so, and hence should have been penalised.

Here is the rule:

A player is in an offside position if they are nearer to the opposition’s goal line than both the ball and the second last opponent.

You can’t be offside if:
    + you receive the ball directly from a goal kick, a throw-in or a corner
    + you are in your own half of the pitch
    + you are level with the second last or last two opponents feet

A player who is in an offside position will only be penalised if the referee believes that he/she is:
    + Interfering with play
    + Interfering with an opponent
    + Gaining an advantage by being in that position

Forget all that codology that commentators and analysts come up with that he moved back to an onside position. He cant. If he gains an advantage from being in the original offside position its an infringement and a free-kick must be given.

The linesman missed it as he was probably just looking across the pitch as he normally does as did the ref.

A discussion took place on another thread about video evidence and this would be a good case of a video ref catching out something that the others missed. It was as clear as day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Did anybody see the after match analysis of RVN's goal on the BBC?
    They got a video clip from UEFA that explained the interpretation of the new offside rule.
    But the weird thing was the clip was almost identical to the RVN goal.
    In the clip you see the forward clearly in an offside position in the 1st phase of play tracking back, with the commentry stating that he was not gaining any advantage.
    But when the ball was played in the second phase he was clearly onside position and then carried on to score a goal.
    I think that everybody would agree that if a player is tracking back from an offside position and has absolutely nothing to do with the play that is going on, the referee should quite rightly ignore his presence, however, where the rule seems to fall short on every occasion is the interpretation of "Gaining an advantage by being in that position". How can they say that a player that's offside in the first phase of play is not gaining advantage by being able to run onside for the second phase of play?
    It really needs to be sorted out, but until it is I don't think that anybody can blame the likes of RVN for taking advantage of this fairly muddled rule, it is job to score goals after all!

B.

Yes, the ref's and linesmen should be catching offsides like this. They are inconsistent and this is where the problem lies, some refs/linesmen catch them and some dont which is one of the problems with football. It is just not fair as the rules cant be applied equally for all.

I would be on for a big overhaul of the offside rule, something like players aren't allowed to enter the 6 yard area (except the goalie) unless the ball is in there (a bit like GAA) and players must stay out of the penalty box until the ball is in the attacking half of the pitch. It should open up the sport a bit and would elimiate or reduce goals such as that scored by Rooney this evening where a 1-2 on the halfway line springs a badly put together offside trap.

Maybe its a problem that will never be resolved. The older system although being harsh was easier to judge and hence was applied more fairly.

Advertisement