Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Saturated?

• 19-06-2004 8:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Chemistry is on tuesday for us doing the LC. I know the difference between vegtable fats and animal fats is one of 'em is saturated but its not in the book.

Can anyone help?

btw I'm hoping to goto UCC to do physics and astrophysics. I'm glad oi found a small community of other people who are also intrested.:)

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

I dimly recall saturated meaning that the carbon atoms used each link to bind to a hydrogen atom rather than binding to another carbon atom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Saturated = when there are only single bonds between the carbon and hydrogen atoms.

fatty%20acid.jpg

The first fatty acid contains no double bonds between carbon and hydrogen atoms therefore is saturated.

The double bond in the unsaturated molecule is highlighted in green.

Animal oils tend to have higher levels of saturated fat and this solidifies at room temperature.

Vegetable oils tend to be liquid at room temperature due to the higher levels of unsaturated fat.

Animal fats are more harmful for human consumption as a result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Marxx

Thanks for the help, :D

Advertisement