Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will a new line guarantee getting BB?

• 19-06-2004 11:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭

If I order a new line, what are my chances of the new line passing the test?

my current line fails broadband test but there ARE ports available in the local exhange, which I am very close to.

Also, if I do fail again, is wireless any good for gaming? Wireless (or dread! ISDN)would then be my only choices...

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Originally posted by Killah_B
    If I order a new line, what are my chances of the new line passing the test? my current line fails broadband test but there ARE ports available in the local exhange, which I am very close to.
    The problem with split lines is usually created by a shortage of local twisted pairs than lack of ports in the exchange -- they split the line to avoid leading a new twisted pair for the line. So it depends really on whether they have a spare pair in your area, and the fact that you're already on a split line doesn't bode well. That being said, even if there isn't, they'll often just split someone else's line to give someone a full line for DSL, so if you make it absolutely clear to Eircom that you want the line for DSL, you could well be lucky. I'd be inclined to place the order in writing meself though... :)
    Also, if I do fail again, is wireless any good for gaming?[/B]
    In general wireless should be fine for gaming, it doesn't have the latency issues associated with satellite connections. You should research the WISP carefully first though.

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

nice one

I've ordered the new line, and I told the guy on the phone that it was for DSL (he didn't seem to know what I was talking about) but the install guys apparently will ring me first, so I'll outline it all to them

Fingers crossed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Gl getting the new line. I was once contemplating getting wireless, but managed to hold out that extra few months and now my exchange is enabled :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Killah_B: Cancel that new line!

First, before you spend a bucketload on a new line, see if your neighbours can get DSL. IF they pass the test, you can more than likely get broadband with a new line, if they cant, then your wasting your money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

I had the exact same conversation with those Eircom retards. They refused to say if a new line would ensure a dsl required connection. Once the line was installed I got the run around by 3 different stupid bitches who did no more to answer my query than say " NO, you cant get dsl". After going ape **** on the phone and vowing not to pay for the installation I was then put through to a very nice and capable lady who went out of her way to check out my phone line and told me "your line pass's the dsl test" . This was all in the space on half an hour lol.

Dont me afraid to lose the head with these muppets as sadly most will just tell you you are out of luck as its easier than doing there job and checking your line for dsl compatability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

thanks for the feedback folks

mutant_fruit: I know it's a risk, but I'm desperate! Some people on the next road have BB (about 50 metres away) so I'm thinking I can probably get it.

I'm gonna talk to the install guy, as I live in a house with a seperate apartment in the basement - from what I gather I need to ensure that my line is MY line, rather than split between the two apartments... hopefully should not be a problem....

Dealing with eircom is a nightmare - I don't think they train their staff at all. Before this problem I lived a kafkaesque nightmare with them - the person who lived here before me ran out on their bill, and the absolute morons in eircom (3 of them before I got any help) said I couldn't get a phone here under my name until the last bill was paid!!! And that I had to get a letter from the previous tenant to say they were discontinuing the service! The fact that the previous tenant was exported to Latvia didn't cut any ice with them...

I have worked in a number of call centres, and the problem IS the individuals AND the company itself, I have very little sympathy for the ones that answer the phones, I have done it myself and it is not hard to be good at that kind of job - idiocy is tolerated at all levels and even those that try to do their job properly will eventually get forced out because getting things done is not the yardstick they are measured by, doing things the WAY THEY ARE TOLD, is...

morons...

damn! I'm all angry now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Funkydoodle

My line has failed but i have an available exchange.
    Who should i contact in eircom about broadband.
    Really want broadband.
    Much appreciate number.

Thanks

Advertisement