Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COL LOKI a question to you

Options
  • 20-06-2004 12:52am
    Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭

Hey COL LOKI I noticed in your sig that you use water cooling. Most people who know me....know I'm deperate to burn more money into my computer. Water cooling is a possible area of interest (as well as phase cooling and just about anything else you can think of).....Now my question to you.

Is water cooling difficult to set up and maintain (risk factors). I reasonable compotent with computers but never attempted anything like water cooling.

I know water cooling kits are expensive but apparantly you can custom build your own better water cooling kits . What would you recommend here (given I'm a novice at modding). Money isn't a issue unless I fry the computer in my sig by springing a leak.

Any advice would be good.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Hey Mate, will go into a good bit of detail with links 2moro for you. Should be a pretty good help, just give me a little time to research the last few bits ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Im interested in WC too... Lokking at building a custom kit from watercooling.de

Not really sure what to go for cause there's so much out there

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I feel another sticky comming on.....:D

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/

Scroll down to the watercooling section there (or the liquid nitrogen!) ....plenty of info and water cooling and where to buy.

I have been looking around this site quite a bit...www.coolercases.co.uk

Have a look anyway. Chat to you later

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Same here my next rig is going to be H2O cooled - I'm just going to get a kit from HiTiDE.ie I'm presuming that it should be easy enough to set up - I hope;).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Is water cooling difficult to set up and maintain (risk factors). I reasonable compotent with computers but never attempted anything like water cooling

Ive had the water cooling for about a year now, and i havent bothered doing anything else with it after installing except adjust fan speed. So no theres generally not much to maintain !! It is recomended to change the water mix in the system after 1-2years which is pretty much it.

As reguards risk, your using de-ionised / distilled (distilled recomended - pharmacy) so it is far less conductive (actually i think its almost non-conductive) than regular water. The main reason water conducts is because of the other particals mixed in with it......... deionised/ distilled doesent have them. Due to this generally leaks etc arent as fatal as you might think. Obviously there is a risk factor but if you take some precautions you will be fine (ie trying the cooler outside the case first - test run, checking for leakage now and then...) .
    I know water cooling kits are expensive but apparantly you can custom build your own better water cooling kits . What would you recommend here (given I'm a novice at modding). Money isn't a issue unless I fry the computer in my sig by springing a leak.

TBH you have two options , do a bundle of research seriously know your stuff and then get the parts seperatly. Advantages are better performance (you would use 1/2" pipe as apposed to 3/8") , more tailor made solution, possibly cheaper.

The other option is to get it out of the box (ie innovatek , waterchill etc etc). The instructions are with it, there clear and easy to follow. The kit is made to be user friendly and will insure everything fits toghter nicely. Its the easier option and is prob best for your first time.

A nice advantage of watercooling is the easy upgrade ability. Ie you just change the cooling block (or fitting adapters) when you change to another socket / rig........ that works out pretty cheap . Also you can cool your GFX / NB / A second CPU / even PSU.........

Heres a link to some great water cooling sticky's .........http://www.ocforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=127

General places to buy.......or start looking
    www.dangerden.com
    www.hitide.ie
    www.jes-computer.de
    www.pc-look.com
    www.dtekcustoms.com
    www.watercooling.de

Not really sure what to go for cause there's so much out there

What are you looking for? Silence OR Performance? What price range? What do you want to cool with it?
    I feel another sticky comming on.....:D

lol, not just yet. I will prob be changing my system , adding new parts or mabye even a totally new system. Have alot more to learn before i can start a sticky on that....... but after my re-build (1-2months)then you might just see one!!
    Same here my next rig is going to be H2O cooled - I'm just going to get a kit from HiTiDE.ie I'm presuming that it should be easy enough to set up - I hope.

Well it depends on what sort of setup you have. You will have to do some drilling and cutting but its not that hard really. Drill four little holes, cut a blowhole (or mount it in a sonata :)), little bit of testing and you should be fine.

Which are you looking for silence / performance? The innovatek has a good mix of both........

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Silence - performance will be provided by the shiny new Athlon-64 sck 939 and one of the new Ati/Nvidia cards - but it will take a while before we see all this stuff so I'm just waiting and using my quite rubbish rig (1900+ GeForce4 Mx440:( ) till then - 4 months I give it. Drilling does not sound like something i want to do to a brand new case:dunno:, but I suppose the coolness and quiet I'll get from H2O should be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Aye watercooling is the $hit tbh,Iv have recently gone off the idea of getting a new case and then having to cut it up to fit the WC rig in,because it makes the case kinda worthless if you want to sell/change it later on,as i tend to do....i change my case about twice a year.My next case "the coolermaster CMSTACKER" (http://www.coolermaster.com/index.php?LT=english&Language_s=2&url_place=product&p_serial=STC-T01&other_title=STC-T01CM%20Stacker ) should have lots of room to fit in the WC rig without attacking it with a dremel...but will still have the opertunity to mod other parts of the case.So think about the case size before you buy a WC rig if you dont like the idea of metal cutting work.;)

CombatCow

Advertisement