Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

20GB MP3 player for €120?

• 20-06-2004 1:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭

Rio Riot for €120 (possibly inc postage from Hong Kong) here

Not in the market for one myself ATM so I haven't researched it but that seems very cheap, also selling the player for about €70 without the HDD.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭blobert

This seems like a fantastic deal.

I'd be a little worried about ordering from Hong Kong though. Has anyone else ordered from these folk???

And there seems to be no warenty either...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

From the FAQ

'2. How can you avoid import taxes?
    There are several methods I do to avoid import taxes. Firstly, I will always mark all parcels as gifts. This is good enough for most of the countries to avoid taxes. If that doesn't work I will have to go a little farther and slip in a personal letter and make the parcel look as personal as possible. I will make up the contents of the letter. The last method I will use is by decorating the parcel with stickers and maybe a ribbon to really, really look like a present. With a packaging like this you are almost guaranteed to be 100% exempt from taxes.

I usually do not fill in the parcel value declaration, so far there has not been any problems.'

Heh.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

" Supports Global Multiple Language No"
    Wondering would it be in english or not..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Seems very like a scam site like WebElectronix as discuessed in the techo tread, looks the same site,really cheap prices and the same number of visitors in april 2004,and they dont except credit cards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,837 ✭✭✭✭cormie

They are onbiously not risking very much with their shipping method (I think a birthday card works best) If they were a big company, they wouldn't want to ruin their reputation or get caught with that kind of method but I have ordered from companies before who have marked things as gift.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭elvis2002

seems like an okay website to me, looks professional enough, I think i'll buy that mp3 player without the case.

http://www.gadgets-online.com/robertriot.jpg

I asked him to prove that he actually has some of this gear. He put the above pic up on his website and yes, that is my ICQ number. This goes against my better judgement but I'm going to buy one. If you guys want to hold on for awhile, I'll let you know if this is actually genuine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

No idea about the legitamacy of that guy but I did get the link from a reputable site
    http://www.minidisc.org/ (frontpage on the left)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Kazu

If anyone buys anything from this site let us all know how it goes :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

hmmm,looks like a good deal.pity i just forked out €130 for a 256mb creative rhomba.wil def consider this if its legit

• Advertisement

I'm going to pay for one of these tomorrow, he also said that he's going to throw in a Rio Volt cd/mp3 player for $15. Postage to Ireland is $13 by the way. I suggest you guys hold on to your money for the moment, no point in all of us getting scammed!

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Originally posted by Raskolnikov
    http://www.gadgets-online.com/robertriot.jpg

I asked him to prove that he actually has some of this gear. He put the above pic up on his website and yes, that is my ICQ number. This goes against my better judgement but I'm going to buy one. If you guys want to hold on for awhile, I'll let you know if this is actually genuine.

haha, madness how he did that.
    so seems very reputable..
    Let us know how it goes, how long did he say shipping would take?
    and do they accept creditcards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

No Lenny,

No Credit cards. Money orders, Bank deposit, Paypal or western union only.

Smells like a scam!

beware

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

No credit cards = no real comeback if scammed.

I'd advise everyone else to hold off until Deco (:)) actually receives the gear. It's great that this man has the gear - but whether the paying people actually receive it is an entirely different matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

I've come across one or two HK sites like this the dudes always get their goods from the warehouses - one of the sites was very bad looking BUT he was for real - I can't find it in my bookmarks I may have deleted it. Brit living in HK.

paypal is ok for me.. but isee what you mean
    cause with a cc if you don't recieve an item you can just tell the bank you never recieved anything and you're not going to pay them and they don't pay the person..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭positron

Warranty No, since this is a warehouse clearance product

???

What does that mean? A refurb?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by positron
    ???

What does that mean? A refurb?
    More like a discontinued line, so spare parts for it will be unavailable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,052 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

However, our least-favorite feature is its USB connection for transferring music from the PC. While USB has become ubiquitous for both Mac and Windows users and is relatively fast, it's not a great solution for transferring large amounts of data. We did an initial transfer of 5 GB of music (one-fourth the Riot's capacity), and it took well over seven hours
    From Amazon .
    Would take 28 hours to fill it !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭toil

Thats because it is USB 1.1
    This is what turned me off of it....iriver!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,813 ✭✭✭SteM

Originally posted by toil
    Thats because it is USB 1.1
    This is what turned me off of it....iriver!

This is the one I want........

http://www.advancedmp3players.co.uk/shop/product_info.php?products_id=72

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

For those of you thinking of getting an iRiver, I can't recommend it enough. I've got a iHP-120 (H120), as does my sister and friend.

All of us agree that it is one of the best pieces of technology we have ever bought and is almost a life changing experience!!!

No really, it is just amazing having your entire music collection in your pocket at all times.

IMHO and after much research, the iRiver is the best DAP on the market, much better then iPod.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Altheus

Have to say, the guy looks as reputable as any trader, probably gonna buy from him something small to check it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

Originally posted by bk
    IMHO and after much research, the iRiver is the best DAP on the market, much better then iPod.

As off topic as this may be, I refute your humble opinion. The iPod wins for me, just for its pure sexiness.

Back on topic: Raskolnikov have you paid for the stuff? Did you get a tracking number off him? Is the package insured? I might be up for a digital camera if all goes well. :)

Originally posted by daveyjoe
    As off topic as this may be, I refute your humble opinion. The iPod wins for me, just for its pure sexiness.

Again OT, if your read any comparison reviews in mags most seem to rate the iRiver as being a better product than the iPod.

The iPod does look great but seems to have become popular for it's looks rather than it's performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

My Creatuve Muvo^2 does the trick for me. Far more discreet than an iPod or iRiver. Before anyone complains about space, I have my entire collection in it, and it's only half full. I have no need for more space (yet). A 20GB iPod would be completely wasted on me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

Originally posted by SteM
    Again OT, if your read any comparison reviews in mags most seem to rate the iRiver as being a better product than the iPod.

The iPod does look great but seems to have become popular for it's looks rather than it's performance.
    Okay this is my last off-topic post, but whats all this about performance, I want an MP3 player that is small, good looking and sounds good. Alright I'll concede that the iPod has useless earphones, but you can buy new ones. In terms of performance the hard disk access time is reportedly excellent and the iPod has an intelligent cache which means that it's not accessing the hard dive and vibrating like a mofo every 2 seconds. It does everything I need it to do, FM tuner and all that would be overkill for me. Most importantly, can you use the back of your iRiver as a mirror? I think not!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

Originally posted by SteM
    This is the one I want........

http://www.advancedmp3players.co.uk/shop/product_info.php?products_id=72

I got it at this site for a few quid less too, http://www.mx2.co.uk/acatalog/MX2_co_uk_MP3_Players_50.html

I ordered this little beauty yesterday. I also did loads of research and not one I read said the iPod is better. What is it with everyone saying the iPod looks nicer? I think it's bland and boring, the iRiver looks much better to me. The battery kicks the hell out of the iPod too. 16 hour playback instead of the iPod's 8 hrs.

Seamus I was interested in the Muvo 2 aswell but the size of the LCD was a big drawback for me. Other than that it looks like a very good player.

Cheers Davey Devil, I was going to order one in the next week or 2 from the link I posted but yours is even cheaper.

Is shipping free to Ireland as well as the UK?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

Yeah it's free postage, everything seems in order. I've never bought anything of this site before now so if it goes tits up don't blame me.

From site:

Shipping And Handling
    Free Post & Packing on all orders within the UK & Republic of Ireland. All other countries P&P is Charged at Cost.

Tax Charges
    For the UK and the Republic of Ireland, All Prices displayed are the Prices you Pay. There are No further Duties or Taxes to Add. Some of our products have VAT included where applicable and some Items are Vat exempt.

Advertisement