Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

20GB MP3 player for €120?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,813 ✭✭✭SteM

Would you do me a favour and post back here when you get yours from them? No point in us both being stung ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

Haha sure, got an email confirming my order, all looks good so far, only ordered yesterday.

There's a poster over on the computers forum that's uded them and says he's happy with them.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=163151&perpage=20&pagenumber=2
    Originally posted by Explosive_Cornflake
    Yeah, i used them, was very happy. Ordered on a thursday and it arrivied on the monday(last monday)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 114 ✭✭chess

any one hear how John R got on with that buy?

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭BluE-WinG

Im very curious... Have you received the rio yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I'd like to know too. I reckon half of boards is waiting with baited breath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,837 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Welcome to the Iriver club! hehe. I have it with me every time I go to the Fitz.

By the way, after 5 months research Iriver is definitely the best player out there. Anyone who would buy somehting to listen to music on for the "look" of it, then it obviously doesn't matter about performace or anything so enjoy your style. I would consider yourself lucky that you have stumbled across a post mentioning iRiver, most people just know, and buy Ipod. iRiver is cheaper for a better thing, now thats not including the price the Ipod would cost to match to iRiver feature wise (if you were to buy fm receiver, external batter pack etc)

by the way, iRiver users, you can get a perfect external battery pack (if the 16 hours ever runs out when you don't want it to, it's happened to me once since I bought it back in feb, and I use it every day. EVERY DAY) in Maplin Electronics for about €4. Product is L33AK. It says 6v which is too much but it's actually not because if you put 4x 1.2 volt batteries in it, then it is only giving out 4.8volts (power is 5v on plug). But you can find 1.25v batteries to get the perfect 5v.

Anyway, get iRiver IHP-140. It's the best of its kind. No doubt. Ipod is purely for fasion and as with all "branded items" ipod is a rip off. It would be like buying a pair of CK socks compared to St. Bernard, sure, they may look better especially with CK on them (some people huh?) but nobody is ever going to see them anyway, and they are gonna cost you so much more and probably not be as good as a pair of socks you can get in dunnes.

Ring Harvey Norman in Swords for latest price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

as good as the iriver looks the whole appeal of this thread was the €120 bit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,837 ✭✭✭✭cormie

hehe, kinda went ot there alright, the RIO deal seems cool. Please let us know how it works out for ya!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

Yeah sorry about the off-topicness.
    €120 is indeed a great deal for a 20gb player.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Kazu

I'd like to know too. I reckon half of boards is waiting with baited breath. This thread was about the 20gb mp3 player

please will some mod sort this thread out and delete any non 20gb mp3 player info

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭SLIM19198

Rio Riot 20GB MP3 player with built in FM Tuner***

Products marked with *** dont exist in desired quantity in our stock.
    You can buy them anyway and check the quantity we have in stock for immediate deliver in the checkout process.

No more left?

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭neonitrix

Hi Guys,

I have been using my Rio Riot for the past year or so since buying 2 of them on amazon.co.uk for £99 Sterling each, I am very happy with them and it is well worth the price.

Only drawback is that Rio dont make this product anymore and are no longer working on future firmware updates the last update that was released was version 1.25 which fixed bugs like a battery drain problem. But the player still has a few other quirks and only being about to transfer files via usb isnt the nicest due to speed limitations but you can live with them.

Sound Quality is considered to be better than the ipod and having owned an ipod in the past I would agree with this.

Here are some usefull links info updates etc I have collected over the past year

Rio Riot Instruction Manual

Reviews:

http://gear.ign.com/articles/356/356405p1.html?fromint=1
    http://www.web-user.co.uk/products/prod_rev.php?rid=548&cid=211
    http://reviews.cnet.com/Sonicblue_Rio_Riot/4505-6496_7-8530672-2.html

Rio Riot Support:

http://www.digitalnetworksna.com/support/rio/product.asp?prodID=2

Rio Related Forums:

http://www.riovolution.com/
    http://www.rioworld.org/

Windows Media Player Thingy:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/plus/dme/PortableDevices.asp have a read about the thing called powertoys at bottom of page.

File Transfer Software:

I personally have been using a rio package called Rio Music Manager to transfer mp3's to my riot.

Rio Music Manager version 2.0

There are higher versions of this program I think upto ver 3 or 4 I think but this version works just fine. It isnt designed by rio to support the Riot and they dont claim anywhere on there site that it will work, but it does work fine.

There are other file transfer packages that will work with the Riot but I have tested them and am happy with Rio Music Manager.

Here are some of the other programs:
    Sveta Portable Audio
    Red Chair Software

Hope the above helps

Neonitrix

again..anyone hear from John R???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Kazu

looks like our Guinny pig got scammed poor bastard

well bugger that!
    looked to damnd good to be true!

Some great stuff on that site!

oh well, looks like its back to the back o trucks for my purchases!

Originally posted by SteM
    Would you do me a favour and post back here when you get yours from them? No point in us both being stung ;)

Got it on Thursday after ordering on Monday, no problems all is good - no hidden charges - one happy customer.

Originally posted by Davey Devil
    Got it on Thursday after ordering on Monday, no problems all is good - no hidden charges - one happy customer.

good, good, glad you didn't get scammed.

That was for my iRiver not this €120 deal, just so you understand.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

But you ordered the iRiver off that site though, ye?

• Advertisement

It's all on page 2, of this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Smithers

Originally posted by Kazu
    looks like our Guinny pig got scammed poor bastard

anyone know 4 sure if he did or not?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Originally posted by cormie
    Welcome to the Iriver club! hehe. I have it with me every time I go to the Fitz.

by the way, iRiver users, you can get a perfect external battery pack (if the 16 hours ever runs out when you don't want it to, it's happened to me once since I bought it back in feb, and I use it every day. EVERY DAY) in Maplin Electronics for about €4. Product is L33AK. It says 6v which is too much but it's actually not because if you put 4x 1.2 volt batteries in it, then it is only giving out 4.8volts (power is 5v on plug). But you can find 1.25v batteries to get the perfect 5v.

Hi cormie,

I use the L32AK from maplins for the same purpose.

It is the 3 battery version. You can use it with standard 1.5V AA batterys. This adds up to 4.5v (1.5v x 3). While the iRiver is rated for 5v, this doesn't make any difference, it is just a maximum voltage, it works just fine with 4.5v.

I actually have 3 of these, one for home, one for work and one for my family home.

BTW for all you iRiver fans, there is an excellent iRiver site and forum, with lots of interesting info like this at:
    www.misticriver.net

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Originally posted by SteM

FYI, www.mx2.co.uk have been around for a long time, I've been buying ink from them for years, never had any problems.

Those are great prices for the iRiver.

I stick by my love of the iPod but these look f-ing sweet http://www.iriver.com/product/info.asp?p_name=iFP-1095

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,813 ✭✭✭SteM

Cheers Davey Devil, enjoy it you lucky bugger! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

I ordered the Rio Riot last week - payed with paypal. New it was a chance but a few factors made me beleive this guy was the real deal. Anyway a few days later got this email:

Dear David,

First of all, thanks for shopping in Gadgets Online (HK)

However, there is a slight problem with the payment, the paypal payment email is actually paypalpayment@gadgets-online.com.

You can simply cancel your payment in your Paypal account and make another paypal payment to my paypal account. I can only take Non credit card funded payments.

Free shipping only applies to the United States and Australia, for delivery to Ireland it will cost an extra $13US.

And also please confirm your shipping address:
    *edit* *snip*

Sorry for the inconvenience, I have made an error in my website, which is now corrected.

Let me know if you should have any questions, thanks.

Best Regards
    Francis T
    Gadgets Online (HK)

So coupled with the extra money necessary, a few niggling "scam" thoughts, and mediocre reviews for the product - I cancelled my paypal payment - and didn't repay - sent an email cancelling my order.

we were sooo close to finally finding out if it was all a rouse or legit!

oh well till John R comes back.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Jilm

I received the Rio Riot today after ordering last Saturday.

The guy who runs the site is very helpful, even threw in a Rio Volt cd/mp3 player for another $15. Delivery to Ireland is an extra $13.

If you want to buy one, best to email/ICQ him first to find out if he has any left and the best payment option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

I know this post isn't about the i-river, but I'm gonna post about it :)

I bought an i-river 256mb mp3 player about a year back. I use the thing every day cycling in and out of work and cannot fault it. It uses one AA battery and I get about a month's use out of it. But the problem is is that it only has 256mb's of memory. I'm a lazy **** and only change the songs on it every once and a while so I do find myself listening to the same 30 odd songs over and over.

I've been in the market for a hard drive based mp3 player just for the sheer capacity. I've been reading up on the i-river IHOP-140 and will be taking the plunge shortly. Being able to have my entire mp3 collection in my back pocket is quite an awe inspiring concept.

Advertisement