Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opera web browser!

Options
  • 20-06-2004 3:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just downloaded the latest version to test a site & I have to say its way better than firefox, all sites load much quicker & its much more refined.
    As for registering it well there are ways & means around that......;)

Anyways give it a go & see what you think.

Download here

Thanks JoePC

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

Yeah, been using this for years. My favourite thing about it is the way all your browser windows are contained in the main window. And popup management built into a browser? Far out - Microsoft have never heard of such an idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

yeah i type my reply to this from opera's latest version now, been using it for a good while, the main think i like is the integrated email which is by no means unique but i just prefare opera to firefox for some reason that i can't put my finger on

data

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

Here another reason if your on a slow machine.

task.JPG

Thanks JoePC

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Mouse-gestures. Can't live without them these days, or it feels like I've lost a limb. Add to that the increased security, pop-up blocker, tabbed browsing, and skinnable interface... its perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Originally posted by joePC

Thanks JoePC [/B]

your welcome

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

The only thing that Opera has over Firefox in my eyes, is the ability to re-order tabs.

And before anyone suggests it, I don't like TBE!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,403 ✭✭✭ando

I prefar Avant over both of them :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Here's an opera tip - in v7.50 or later if you remove the main toolbar the big square advert changes to a smaller 2 line text one at the top of the screen.
    Just activate the toolbar under the tab's and customise it slightly to get back the main bar functionality and hey presto - almost adfree browsing....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Originally posted by secret_squirrel
    almost adfree browsing....

Hey, isint firefox .... ;)

Most of the Opera advantages over Firefox such as mouse guesters and extra tabbed options can easily be fixed with a couple of firefox extensions.

Eitherway you look at it, Opera has been goign for a lot longer then Firefox so you cant blame them for having a tighter code and less memory hoggy.

Nokia invested in Mozilla for their phone browsers recently as they can see the potential in Mozilla, just as long as they get a bit less ram hungry and the sort.

Opera's had symbian version for years now....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Yes, but Nokia have reportidly invested in the Mozilla symbian OS browser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Originally posted by ando
    I prefar Avant over both of them :rolleyes:

why the rolleyes avant is ok

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Originally posted by Winters
    Eitherway you look at it, Opera has been goign for a lot longer then Firefox so you cant blame them for having a tighter code and less memory hoggy.

Actually, Mozilla formed out of a group that split off from Netscape in the mid-90's. They took with them the intellectual property rights that went with almost all of Netscape's technology, and so the original Mozilla was pretty much the same as the Netscape version of the time. If you look at it that way, Mozilla has been going for as long as Netscape Navigator in everything but name.

Opera seem to be streets ahead in the mobile market at the moment, but browsing ordinary websites on a phone is still very much a niche market.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Mozilla evolved from the old Mosaic web browser that used to come bundled with Compuserve and the like (Old School!). Mozilla eventually became Netscape which was later eaten up by AOL during the Dotcomm boom. Previously Netscape were the only real web browser provider and from memory were seen as being a sure bet. However, MS released the free Internet Explorer and AOL/Netscape just couldnt compete. In 1998 AOL released the Netscape as Open source and Mozilla was formed again.

I am pretty certain Internet Explorer is based on technologies licensed from a company who were a spin off of Mozilla/Mosaic.

Speaking of Mosaic, you can get your old-skool browsing kicks here (2.9Mb):

http://archive.ncsa.uiuc.edu/SDG/Software/WinMosaic/HomePage.html

Surprisingly, most modern sites look like crap in Mosaic.

But them were the days, no ads on sites, no popups... :dunno:

Originally posted by jesus_thats_gre
    I am pretty certain Internet Explorer is based on technologies licensed from a company who were a spin off of Mozilla/Mosaic.

IE is based on Mosaic BTW.

In IE, go to Help -> About Internet Explorer

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Originally posted by ChipZilla
    IE is based on Mosaic BTW.

In IE, go to Help -> About Internet Explorer
    #

Yeah I thought so, they licensed the technology of Spyglass or someone..

I see to remember reading somewhere that opera write the core (or parts or their core ) for each platform in assembler then have a common presentation/application layer over the top. That would account for the small footprint alright. then again I could be getting it completely wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by ChipZilla
    Speaking of Mosaic, you can get your old-skool browsing kicks here (2.9Mb):

http://archive.ncsa.uiuc.edu/SDG/Software/WinMosaic/HomePage.html
    2.9 megs? Bloatware. Netscape 1 fitted on a floppy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

So it did

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

I use Opera everyday in work can't complain about it.:)

Advertisement