Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless Print Server

• 20-06-2004 9:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Does anyone have any suggestions or know of any readily available products for setting up a wireless print server, that can also act as a broadband internet firewall/modem/router. I basically want something that I can plug my broadband enabled phone line and my printer into..... and then surf the web and print away happily with no wires sticking out the back of my laptop!!!

Any ideas?????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭corkey

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭knucks

Thanks Corkey......

.....but maybe I didn't describe my situation very well.
    • I have only 1 computer (laptop)
    • I have only one printer

I want to use this laptop wirelessly, to surf the web and to print documents. I am looking for an all-in-one stand-alone (i.e. does not need to be hooked up to a pc) product that has the following functionality....

Broadband Modem
    Wireless Access Point
    Print Server
    Firewall (not too bothered about this)

Are any such devices available anywhere in Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

You are looking at at least 2 pieces of hardware here,

What i have is an Eircom modem for dsl, connecting to an AP such as http://komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=122989&cks=PRL

Which allows you to connect a printer

Unfortunately, I have a USB modem at the moment, so I think that means I need to plug this into a computer (needs drivers etc). Correct me if I'm wrong, but you would have an ethernet based modem and a USB printer for your setup. I have neither.

So I suppose I'll have to bite the bullet and get an ethernet Broadband Modem (should have gotten one of these in the first place!!!!) and hook it up to a wireless AP.

But still I need to get an AP/Print server that will allow me to attach a parallel port printer.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=118092&cks=PRL would be perfect if it had a built in modem.

I am assuming that I could telnet into any of these devices and configure them from there. Is this correct? or would I need to plug them into the laptop initially?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

you can either telnet in or just connect to the device from a web browser

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭ADSLUSER

The new Apple Airport Express might be your answer. See www.apple.com

Thanks guys, what I did in the end was get a d-link modem/ap/router and I will upgrade my printer to get an ethernet card and use it that way.

Thanks again, Paul.

Advertisement