Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Major problem with Internet Explorer!

Options
  • 20-06-2004 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭

Hi there folks, just wondering is anyone else having a similar problem to mine at the moment and do you know of a way to possibly fix it.

Came on the PC this morning, logged into MSN Messenger and it said I had e-mail in my Hotmail account. Clicked to check it as usual and Internet Explorer started to open up my Hotmail inbox. Then, when I went to open my mails, I got an error message saying "Internet Explorer could not open this site.......... Operation aborted".

Tried it a few different times and it still wouldn't work. Tried going into Hotmail directly through IE, i.e. not through Messenger, and no joy there, Still the same thing. Noticed that the buttons at the top (DELETE, BLOCK, all those) didn't seem to be loading properly, i.e. seemed to have a funny kind of look to them.

Thought it might have just been Hotmail itself so I went to check out Boards and, once again, the site started loading but then would stop and, once again, say "Internet Explorer could not open this site.......... Operation aborted". It started to load but the links at the top to the different sections of Boards weren't coming up at all. Tried a few more sites and, with the exception of Google, I think, they're all the same.

Now, I'm starting to wonder is my IE fecked. I haven't done anything to it, though. No changes to settings or anything, it has all the latest patches and everything and was working grand before I went to bed last night. I cleared out my temporary internet files and all that hoping it might resolve it but still no joy. Did a virus check and everything, all clean. So what the hell is going on? Anyone else having this problem and, if you are, were you able to figure out a way to fix it? I had to go and install Netscape just so I could get online and type this.

Would reinstalling IE resolve things, do you think? The problem is, when I go to reinstall it, it says that, naturally enough, the version I'm trying to install is an older one than the one currently installed and won't let me. Is there a way of uninstalling IE completely first so I could go and reinstall it? I can't seem to figure out a way to do it.

And before anyone says it, I know, I know, I should be running Opera or something but a lot of the sites I go to only work properly in IE so I kind of need it working so I can visit them.

Any help would be much appreciated, folks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Have you tried scanning your system for spyware? There's lots of crap out there that hijacks IE and redirects URL's and the like. Try installing AdAware and Spybot search and destroy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Stephen, you're a star! I already had Adaware and Spybot installed and updated but never thought that it might have been spyware. Well, I knew it could have been, alright, but the thought never occured to me at the time. You know how it is when you're severely pissed off with something and desperately trying to fix it...... combined with not getting much sleep the night beforehand. You tend to overlook the obvious. :D

Ran Adaware, found nothing. Ran Spybot, found three things, all linked together. Removed them, all's well again. Thanks for reminding me to do a spyware check again, Stephen. Cheers, mate! :D

Advertisement