Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Carragher/Gerrard bust-up

• 20-06-2004 1:28pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Newspaper reports today claim that there has been a bust-up between
    Liverpool duo Steven Gerrard and Jamie Carragher.
    Rumours of a clash between the two were discussed on KopTalk earlier
    this week. Those rumours and today's reports allege that Carragher
    has become upset with Gerrard because he's considering jumping ship.

A source in the England camp is quoted as saying: "You could say it
    was a heated debate. You could say it was more than just heated, with
    some strong words expressed by Jamie."

Meanwhile former Liverpool manager Gerard Houllier met with his
    former players on Saturday and spoke privately to Steven Gerrard and
    urged him to ignore the lure of Chelsea's millions saying he has the
    stage at Anfield to become an all-time great in front of his "own
    people".

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

hail houllier if he said that. hes got great pride and dignity and hes still a liverpool fan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Eh? Dub13 going mad...... :confused:

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

he punched him because he has left the club for money bags chelski.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Originally posted by irishgeo
    he punched him because he has left the club for money bags chelski.

if its true, then he obviously didnt punch him hard enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I wonder did Carragher throw a dig at Heskey, or was he the one handing Heskey his coat as he exited stage right...;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by therecklessone
    I wonder did Carragher throw a dig at Heskey, or was he the one handing Heskey his coat as he exited stage right...;)

I think heskey left with everyones coats:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭naitkris

the worst bust-up i remember was the Ljungberg - Mellberg bust-up in the Sweden training camp of World Cup 2002.

this one seems more like an argument between two teammates rather then fists flying here, there and everywhere...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

Whatever about the bust-up, if Chelsea have actually done a deal for SG for £31m (as was reported in English papers allegedly) I will be absolutley disgusted. He is worth £40m at least, he has what, 4 years left on his contract and he's pretty much irreplaceable. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

If Chelsea were to come in for Carragher with the supposed contract that they are offering Gerrard I'm pretty confident he'd take it. The only way I can see Gerrard staying is if he picks up a serious injury, like a broken leg. But saying that, once he recovered he'd probably join Chelsea in the January transfer window for a reduced transfer fee. If for some miraculous reason he stays and Liverpool don't finish within nine or ten points of the top two clubs next season, its an almost certainty that he’ll leave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Dewey

I havent seen that in any of the sunday papers i brought but if its true, its cant be good for England agaisnt there crunch game with Croatia.

I think Gerrard will leave Liverpool for Chelsea, its reported he has agreed terms with them and all Chelsea have to do is make the bid official. I was hoping Man United were going to make a bid for him after Fergie said he is the best replacement for Keane but it looks like Chelsea got there first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Its worth bearing in mind that the England squad have a media black out on all club issues so no denials can be made...

This brings up a dilemma , I really dont want to see him leave, maybe there is but i dont see anyone who they can just buy to replace him (someone who will come to the cluba and will be sold by their club) but i have always said that I'd like to see him play with Roy (was hoping against hope that it would be roy coming to Liverpool rather than the other way round, wishfull thinking) I think he could learn so much from Roy and be given the missing parts to his game that will stop him being more than a very good player and make him a great one.

Its as if no1 ( Houllier) has taken him aside and told him about the stupid things he does, he sometimes attempts ridiculous passes that will never come off and is prone to dodgy tackling. Hes like he has a less severe version of Robbie Keane disease where he has grown in his football abiltiy but his mentality has kept some of the childish traits tat hold him back slightly, with Robbie its the glory hunting and not being able to do the simple thing.

In short he needs a less severe kick in the arse than Robbie Keane and if he had to leave, then Roy would be my choice to give it to him, although if he does leave ( please dont, not trying to jinx it) i'm not really going to care to much what happens to him, but i would wish him all the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by Stekelly
    This brings up a dilemma , I really dont want to see him leave, maybe there is but i dont see anyone who they can just buy to replace him (someone who will come to the cluba and will be sold by their club)
    Barcelona have withdrawn their offer of a contract to Davids so he's free to join whoever wants him. He still has a couple of seasons left in him and that young lad in the Liverpool reserves/youths (forget his name) could replace him.

Originally posted by eirebhoy
    Barcelona have withdrawn their offer of a contract to Davids so he's free to join whoever wants him. He still has a couple of seasons left in him and that young lad in the Liverpool reserves/youths (forget his name) could replace him.

im a bit wary of sitting and hoping that another gerrard will come along, but hopefully in an ideal world we could sell hi and have a replacement in a season or two for free, that would be a nice tidy profit to sort out other areas. Would Davids be interested in a move to Liverpool though. Surely Arsenal or Utd would have a look at him aswell so it could be a fight to get him, plus if he has a good rest of the tournament, other european clubs migh want a piece.

Plus the other question that arises is, why does nobody else want him, i mean hes playing well and was very good for barce in the second half of last season when he joined.

That player I was talking about is John Welsh BTW.

Ah right, spurs are always looking to buy him in cm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

Originally posted by Dub13
    Meanwhile former Liverpool manager Gerard Houllier met with his
    former players on Saturday and spoke privately to Steven Gerrard and
    urged him to ignore the lure of Chelsea's millions saying he has the
    stage at Anfield to become an all-time great in front of his "own
    people".
    Houllier hasn't spoken to Gerrard about anything. He'll be meeting him after the game tonight.

Houllier is over there working for UEFA and he was at the England Hotel (everybody seems to be at there hotel) the other day.

Originally posted by Dub13
    Houllier is over there working for UEFA and he was at the England Hotel (everybody seems to be at there hotel) the other day.

I still dont think Gerrard will go...he will give Us (Liverpool) at least another year.

• Advertisement

Here's what I've heard ...

The decision to axe Houllier at the end of the season was taken by the board at the start of the year. Senior players were consulted as to their thoughts on a new manager Owen named Benitez, Gerrard wanted a British manager either O'Neill or Curbishley. The board went with Benitez because they saw him as the key to securing Owen's future with the club - Gerrard was not impressed that Owen's opinion was valued over his and that's where the story of "If Houllier goes I will consider my future" came from. Gerrard was also reprimanded about his comments that the club needed to sign three top quality players, because the board felt the comments were inappropriate at the time. Since then Gerrard's agents (SFX) have been talking to Chelsea with his consent. I don't know if it's his intention to leave the club, but he most certainly wanted to put pressure on the Liverpool board to improve the squad this summer.

Since the end of the season Chelsea made two bids for the player £30M and £50M - both were rejected. They have since asked the Liverpool board to name their price. The response was £30M plus players (Gallas, Duff and Parker were mentioned).

Benitez has spoken to Gerrard about remaining at the club but Gerrard refused to commit himself to the club (this is the cause of the alleged bust up with Carragher).

Houllier hasn't spoken to Gerrard yet about his future at the club but will do so tonight (at the request of Parry and Benitez).

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

we have the players to replace him(i know he did it all last year) but if we hang on to hamann we would probably be ok + there are fairly strong links for the dortmunds tomaz rosiky(not sure how its spelled) our front line is going to be explosive next year anyway so should be lots of goals.

Last night Gerrard told Houllier that he is undecided about his future. Houllier said that the impression he got from talking to him is that his mind is already made up to ask to leave the club.

Moores and Parry are both determined to keep him at the club whether he wants to stay or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Did the same guy tell you this that told you Van Der Vaart would be a Liverpool player before Euro 2004 started?

Jivin Turkey - I've just done a search of Bannor's post and he said this last month:
    I really think that club have shot themselves in the head here. According to the source of the information, he was 90% certain of Liverpool signing Van Der Vaart before the European Chamionships. That deal is now dead.

Originally posted by eirebhoy
    Jivin Turkey - I've just done a search of Bannor's post and he said this last month:

So when did he decide to say this? The day before the championships started?

He said about 7-10 days beforehand that it was happening. I wouldnt mind if he put up links/sources like everyone else, or else just keep it to the transfer spec thread.

And I look quite the fool. I was very certain that he said it closer as I remember thinking they had less than 2 weeks to sign him.

But thats not my point, I just think that transfer spec including things down to the finest detail like what people said and what colour tie they wore should be kept to the transfer spec thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

JT, why bother replying to Bannor posts if you dislike him and his comments so much??

You seem to be very much alone in your views, or at least in the vast minority. So why annoy yourself by reading and replying to him.

Certainly almost all the Liverpool fans enjoy Bannor's comments. And he wasnt off-topic. The thread is about Carragher and Gerrard fighting because SG might be leaving, so it was bound to develop into a discussion on SG's status.

Hard to believe that Liverpool would ask a person they've just sacked to help them persuade a player to stay! Mad.

And it doenst look such bad news now that Van de Vaart isnt heading Anfield way!

• Advertisement
Advertisement