Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What comic are you reading at the moment.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭spooydermot

Reading Garth Ennis new one The Boys, I’m a fan of his stuff and this one makes me laugh with the usual violence and sick humour. It also has a character that looks an awful lot like Simon Pegg

Yeah I thought that, I wonder if its a kind of tribute to his character from 'spaced' ?

Just finished reading Preacher (the whole lot) , its amazing , up there with Watchmen and V for Vendetta

Supermarket #4
    Nice little story well presented, feel ever so slightly let down by the ending but the sum of the whole makes up for it, also glad to see that it wasn't dragged out further than it needed to be.

Wormwood: Gentleman Corpse #2

Love the artwork, story also moving along nicely

Now to continue on with transmetropoliton....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

the boys is excellent. tell you whats blowing my mind right now...DMZ. its absolutly amazing. Starting reading Fables too, seems pretty good so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Tonight I took the time to flick through one that has been aside on my desk for a few weeks, Robert Venditti's The Surrogates. I rather enjoyed it. The ending was a bit abrupt, but didn't need anything added to it. The world was well developed, and I found the overall premise interesting. I was a bit surprised by it, given that it was Venditti's first published work, let alone series.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Hellblazer : Stations Of The Cross

Weirdly enough arriving before Staring At The Wall (which precedes it, storywise), this is the perfect antidote to All His Engines in the context of "traditional" Constantine stories, because the entire trade is dealing with Constantine minus his memories and sense of identity. Looking forward to reading the conclusion to this and seeing how Constantine fares with the next writer on the series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭thumbninja

Yeah I thought that, I wonder if its a kind of tribute to his character from 'spaced' ?

thread rot: if you like spaced.. check out 'big train' comedy sketch show. \thread rot

re-reading Halo Jones. First time in many many years. And it is as good as I remember it. Great story.

re-read swampthing, v for vendetta and watchmen. Is there any other old school ones I'm forgetting to look for?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Demondaze

Spent the weekend getting up-to-date with Runaways, Astonishing X-Men, and Y The Last Man (home of the best cliffhangers in the medium I'd wager) ... and intend getting similarly up to speed with the current run of Peter David's X-Factor soon enough. I'm also looking forward to finishing Mike Carey's Lucifer once I get a loan of the necessary books.

reading Cable and Deadpool at the moment and while a lot of it is very entertaining I feel that the writer isnt the greatest storyteller in the world. Great dialogue etc but as far as a coherent story goes its kinda out the window to a degree.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

just finished st swithin's day, seaguy, second volm of the league of extrordinary gentlemen, and parliament of justice. <3 the league and grant morrison very much so

currently waiting on jack b badd to receive some more storm watch :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 maze

I'm reading the summer event of a tragic Chase reeling from the death of Gertrude in Runaways and the X-Men fighting the Children of the Vault in X-Men.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,444 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Finished Watchmen a few weeks ago - first proper comic/graphic novel ive read and woah. It was spectacular. Realistic characters, epic storyline, superb writing / artwork, it really was an eye opener for me. Not only the best graphic novel I've read (the only one incidentally) but one of the best novels, period.

Picked up David Boring this week. Just had a glance at the first few pages the other night seems very witty and quirky. Will get into it proper soon.

Any reccomendations for a newbie to the field?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

Volume 5 of the Walking Dead finally came out last week. A nice change of pace from Another Zombie Menace(tm), but still a bit predictable.

Winter Men #5 just confused me. I don't remember the english from the presvious issues coming across as heavily translated (if you follow what I mean). Maybe I just have to go back and read it as one lump.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Planetary : Crossing Worlds

Utter cack. The only one I was interested in was the Authority crossover. The JSA and Batman ones sucked fat donkey. Surprised and disappointed at Mr Ellis overall.

Stormwatch : Force Of Nature

Not bad at all. It's doing a reasonable job of selling me the superhero premise, though we'll see how it ends (I'm half way through at the moment).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Demondaze

Finished Watchmen a few weeks ago - first proper comic/graphic novel ive read and woah. It was spectacular. Realistic characters, epic storyline, superb writing / artwork, it really was an eye opener for me. Not only the best graphic novel I've read (the only one incidentally) but one of the best novels, period.

Picked up David Boring this week. Just had a glance at the first few pages the other night seems very witty and quirky. Will get into it proper soon.

Any reccomendations for a newbie to the field?

Ah, Watchmen... brilliant. Such excellently realised characters.

"I did it thirty-five minutes ago..."

Anyhow, I'll take it upon myself to recommend Y: The Last Man... it's currently on volume seven, the first of which is called "Unmanned". The premise... well, the series revolves around one Yorick Brown and what happens when he becomes the last man on earth after a cataclysm. It's very witty (great, sparky dialogue), has the best cliffhangers in all comicdom and constantly surprises with the interesting ways it depicts a world devoid of men.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

third volume of stormwatch, (istn jack b badd great with her lending of stuff :))

30 Days of Night - boring
    Iron Man-The Inevitable - Boring

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Longshadow

Must say, I liked St Swithins Day. Also, liked what I read of SeaGuy an awful lot (thankee Fysh).
    Fallen Angel #9 was the strongest issue in a while. It's been comparatively poor since the IDW restart, but this issue hints at bringing Bete Noire back properly as a 'character' in the series, inasmuch as a city can be said to be a character. The role played by Bete Noire was always one of the most intriguing aspects of the series, and I'm looking forward to reading more now.
    Brubaker's Criminal #1 was good, but far from brilliant. With 26 pages of story, I felt he could have done a lot more than character introductions and set up. I'm a big fan of his writing, and I expected more. Gonna stick with it though, it was a fair start.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭limey_tank

Cerebus volume 8.

It should be getting more boring with Sim's descent into madness :p but it's becoming more compelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

Read St Swithin's Day recently too and was quite surprised at Morrison's ability to develope his characters beyond one dimension. Oh, that he did it more often.
    Absolutely adored the superheroiness of StormWatch but Vol 5 was a let down and far too rushed an ending for such a good series. That said I then rushed out to buy the first two volumes of The Authority. Did I mention I love Jenny Sparks?! :D Volume 2 was my first taste of Millar too and I'm dying to get my hands on more of his work - all donations welcome :)

Is the boys #3 out yet?

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

bombidol wrote:
    Is the boys #3 out yet?
    Out last week. It was okay, no great shakes.

• Advertisement

must pick it up. im thinkin that if Ennis is trying to pull another "preacher" theres gonna be loads of Slow issues to build up the characters

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Miss Shelly

Currently reading.
    - New X-men.

But only because of Nimrod really....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

Currently reading.
    - New X-men.

But only because of Nimrod really....

Read alot of the New X-men. Its pretty good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Longshadow

Liking 'The Boys' myself so far, and yeah, it's standard Ennis six issue story arc format. From the past few years of Punisher, and Preacher, I almost know the way he'll lay out a story by heart now, but it doesn't actually stop the stories from being great. Aside from a few dead notes in his Punisher run that is, but it has picked up notably since he was moved to MAX imprint.
    Thinking 'The Boys' will be worth following..

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭the Shades

gen 13 vol 4 #1 was gen 13 #1 again only different... Bobby's hair has changed, Grunge has lost his tattoo but otherwise it was a 'movie' remake. Is this going to happen to the entire Wildstorm line?

Ultimate Wildstorm?

finished reading 'house of M' collected ed last night. unsatisfying.

Started 'truth serum' last night. was a birthday gift. Not some thng I would have picked up myself. Is rather odd - I'm only 4 pages in. Like it so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭the Shades

Picked up The Authority #1 and Wildcats #1 and found both really disappointing. Do the titles need to be virtually re-booted? Wildcats in particular looks like it could suffer from Morrison doing his usual twist and re-hash old stories trick, but these titles aren't old enough for that and ignoring what Casey was doing with Wildcats in his run would be a mistake as it was really interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I've been reading Ultimate Xmen since it started,pretty consistant in quality and generally better than the mainstream version.Invincible,Walking Dead,Fables,100 Bullets all excellent.
    Picked up the 1st issue of The Other Side the other day,looks promising.Oh and of course can't forget Conan.Nord's art is sensational

the Shades wrote:
    Picked up The Authority #1 and Wildcats #1 and found both really disappointing. Do the titles need to be virtually re-booted? Wildcats in particular looks like it could suffer from Morrison doing his usual twist and re-hash old stories trick, but these titles aren't old enough for that and ignoring what Casey was doing with Wildcats in his run would be a mistake as it was really interesting.

I hear you there Shades. wasn't gone on the first issues either both very 'groundwork'. I'll give it a chance to warm up before I dismiss it. Used to read authority and wildcats a while ago. Liked some of the ways authority went before we shall see how it goes this time.

Bad writing/story arcs really do put you off a comic.. stopped reading hellblazer for a good while over it.

• Advertisement

thumbninja wrote:
    Bad writing/story arcs really do put you off a comic.. stopped reading hellblazer for a good while over it.

Just out of curiosity, whose writing put you off? I've heard a few people weren't impressed with Mike Carey's run but I'm not quite decided yet...

Advertisement