Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What comic are you reading at the moment.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭thumbninja

Draco wrote:
    No, he doesn't and he seems to get quite annoyed at people suggesting that Spider is a distillation of him.

In keeping with my restricted comic purchasing of late, all I got this week was the 4th part of Grant Morrison's first arc on the main batman title. Good dialog, a little bit of a twist and a nice set up for future stories but I think Morrison could have done better.

I was only teasing. funnily enough grant morrisons king mob is actually a distillation of grant.. (including some freaky co-incidences involving hurts and illness). re-reading some doom patrol stuff.. not read in years. tis odder than I remember.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

ultimates two is reasonably good, would very much like to know where it's goin next

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

thumbninja wrote:
    I was only teasing. funnily enough grant morrisons king mob is actually a distillation of grant.. (including some freaky co-incidences involving hurts and illness). re-reading some doom patrol stuff.. not read in years. tis odder than I remember.

If any has read The Invisibles they'll remember the
    bit where King Mob is getting tortured by Sir Miles, and he gets skin cancer, and gets abcesses all down one cheek?

Grant got necrotizing fasciitis after writing that (backlash of magical energy from the series), and ended up with abcesses in the same place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

Undergod wrote:
    backlash of magical energy from the series

/me holds head and weeps...

Undergod wrote:
    Grant got necrotizing fasciitis after writing that (backlash of magical energy from the series), and ended up with abcesses in the same place.

ehhhhh.. yeah.. OR.. now maybe Im being waaay out there in this - his subconcious knew what was wrong in his body and it came out through his writting?

(no offense to magic believers)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Ah, joy. This is starting to sound like the discussion of the Kabbalah mappings of the Seven Soldiers in the Seven Soldiers of Victory and Grant's specific magickal purpose in creating the series. Although I have to respect the sheer daftness of deciding to save the world...through COMICS!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

That's his version of the story anyway. Even if it isn't true, its a great story in itself.

and his stories are why we love him so ;)

going in today to pick up my weekly jolt of comics. anything on the shelves this week I should pick up ?

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭the Shades

The Escapists has a very fetching cover by Paul Pope. If that wasn't reason alone to buy it, it's a great little mini.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Madrox

I am reading Uncanny X-men, X-men, Astonishing X-men, new X-men, Exiles, X-Factor, New Excalibur, New Avengers, Civil War, Civil War Frontline, Runaways and Nextwave(pissed off thats ending). will be getting Mighty Avengers when it comes out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

i'm reading the walking dead,lucifer at the momment and just finished BATMAN YEAR ONE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 jack19

Does anyone on these forums read comics? Or am I the only one. If there are other readers, how about some suggestions.

Currently I am loving Y the Last Man, Ex Machina, Ultimate Spider-Man, Girls, Walking Dead, Invincible, and She-Hulk. Among others. And just picked up DC's collected works of Alan Moore in TPB and look forward to the second hardcover collection of Jack Kirby stories from Marvel

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

jack19 wrote:
    Does anyone on these forums read comics? Or am I the only one. If there are other readers, how about some suggestions.

well there is a huge thread titled what comics are you reading at the moment so i guess there must a few other readers knocking around here

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

just finished vol 1 of technopriests, can't wait to read the second. started stray toasters, so far it's a bit of a headwreck but i'm loving it anyway, and the artwork rocks

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Picked up a few things between the con and comic shopping, so:

Robots Don't Cry:

A cute kids story from Bob Byrne, of all people. (I was waiting for it to end in a similar style to Timmy Kat, but unusually for Bob there wasn't something disgusting or just plain weird happening). I quite enjoyed this, and liked the illustrated style.

Sancho #2 & 3

Both bloody brilliant, with some absolutely hilarious moments (Zombie elvis versus various others, for example) and surprisingly varied stories. I'm really digging this and want more. Now.

Freakshow One-shot

Bob Byrne's contribution to the growing saga that is Freakshow. Nifty artwork (particularly cool to see Bob's "less cartoony" art style in action) and a nice story. Probably a nice way to start off into the regular Freakshow series, which is well worth a read.

Hellblazer : Staring At The Wall

I quite like this in context with Carey's overall run on the book - I'm finding that being able to read it all in one go helps it fit together more as a story, rather than feeling like a series of 6-issue arcs with comparatively weak endings. (One thing I do like is the way that small things in earlier arcs have repercussions in terms of character interactions in the later arcs - it's nice to see the characters developing gradually in a sense)

Hellblazer : Empathy Is The Enemy

And for some reason DC decide to release the trade of Denise Mina's opening story arc before the trade that concludes Mike Carey's run. Not sure why, but it's been pushed back to an April release. Irritating, but hey - Mina's run on the book is good, a faithful rendition of Constantine in new surroundings and a n unfamiliar situation. A worthwhile story, I reckon, and evidence that I won't be getting bored of Hellblazer any time soon if things go well.

Nextwave #10:

You know the score, if you don't love it you're dead inside etc. Anyway. This was a bit weird, really - Ellis even said that this issue was written at a time when his head was a bit messed up. Bloody good, but comparatively few laughs. Made up for by the presence of more traditional Ellis moments (I kind of get the feeling that the weird snippets in here were discared ideas for reinventions of the cast used in Nextwave). The Aaron Stack : Machine Man sequence should be given some sort of bloody medal, though. Nextwave deserves to have your babies for dinner.

I read Freakshow and found the racist undertones to be quite distasteful. Couldn't reconcile myself to whether it was 'fitting in' with the 50s kitsch Curly is attempting to capture or was the underlying traces of something more distasteful. Either way I wouldn't be inclined to pick up any more. Bob's work was great though.

In fairness it's going to be quite hard to have a comic that comes off as being in any way convincingly set in the 50's if the characters don't have mindsets and attitudes that fit with the social norms of the day. One of the things I've liked about the Freakshow series is that it doesn't shy away from dealing with such matters...the first couple of issues involving one character's sexual orientation being discovered (and discussion of why he'd kept it secret) shows that quite well; even people sympathetic to him make jokes at his expense which would be considered harassing by today's standards, because the point is that back then that was how people behaved. There's no point in refusing to read stories with historical settings unless they're airbrushed to match up with today's values; that just detracts from the story being told.

So you didn't find it at all offensive or unbelievable that a badly beaten black man would be considered a 'monster' by the public? Even under the guise of satire it doesn't sit comfortably with me. Not to mention that I can find no reason why he was beaten in the comic, other than that character being a nasty person. (I'm refraining from using swear words) The Scooby Doo model was in play, why not just go whole hog and at least add a costume to the villain rather than something which I personally found very distasteful.

Even in the 50s I don't think Americans were so naive as to mistake a badly beaten human for a monster. No matter what colour their skin was.

I've not read that issue.. but. can tell you that forget 50s america they'd believe that now. Met a man (only 30) who told me about shooting at black men on his poperty (though - as he says with regret - their not supposed to shoot at them anymore). He viewed them as little more than vivcious animals to be put down. Terrified (that this exsists) and disgusted was how I felt.

but sorry. I digress.

Currently reading - between that four letter word that is 'work'

a short story by green laterns love child called 'someone stole france' :p

four starman books.

marvel zombies

latest hellblazer

latest nextwave (totally agree with you fysh)

comics day tomorrow yay!

Green Lantern's lovechild? What the hell?

(Which green lantern, for that matter? Are we talking the eternally boring pederast-in-denial that was and is Hal Jordan, the bland-but-at-least-not-a-pervert Kyle Rayner, or the crappy-haircutted-but-hilariously-obnoxious-plus-once-mooned-batman Guy Gardner? It's important to know which one, damnit!)

(also, in glancing at the Marvel Zombies wiki page, I discovered Peter Porker, Spider-Ham! - how brilliant is that?!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭galactus

Just finished "Watchmen" the other night. Its not a comic, its a work of art.

hummm.. green latern freelance artist called kyle.. who else could I mean?!?

bless

Hrmmmm. I was hoping it'd be Guy Gardner, personally. I can live with the crappy haircut if it means matching personalities with someone who once mooned Batman from a space station :D

Edit:

Crappy comment? Who knows what I was thinking as I typed. Anyway, never mind, nothing to see here. Honest.

Picked up the tpb of Y: The Last Man vol 8 today, along with desolation Jones #8. I've read DJ on my lunch break, damn good as always and Daniel Zezejl's artwork looks, if anything,even better than it did on issue 7. Y : TLM is being kept for tonight.

Anyone picked up Ellis's NewUniversal #1? What did you make of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

Fysh wrote:
    Picked up the tpb of Y: The Last Man

Yoink! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,276 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Newuniversal was alright.Am i wrong or is it a retread of the 80's comics set in the New Universe?I know the characters were recently in one of the Exiles story lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

Newuniversal was alright.Am i wrong or is it a retread of the 80's comics set in the New Universe?I know the characters were recently in one of the Exiles story lines.

more than that, marvel were testing the waters earlier in the years releasing one shots of old characters from that universe including spitfire , DP7 ,starbrand , nightmask and psi force but they were abominally put together. the art was appalling and sod all were ordered. i think the new universal is meant to follow the starbrand character but im not sure. saw it on the shelf but didnt pick it up. still at least larocca's a decent artist. might be worth picking up. ellis on a bad day is still better than most

picked up transformers; escalation myself. its the kick off to an arc so its basically setting the scene but still theres some good stuff in it. nice bitching about prowl from the bots, one of the bots gets his fender handed to him by humans! and for a good guy ironhide does some brutal stuff in a traffic jam. some nice character stuff in this issue and looks like theyre off and running to max up the action, theres definetly more of a military vibe to this take on the TFs and alot of it harkens back to the old marvel uk days. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭BrenC

Just finished 'wanted' the other night, pretty good, very short though

read wanted.. duno. have read the ol' handing of the mantle story so many times. and better. Giving my copy to my bruv - reckon he'll enjoy it.

I am 3/4 way through starman book 5 (only cause they didn't have 1 to 4 in the shop).. had forgotten how much I liked it. It ebbs and flows but over all it's a great body of work. got 6, 7 and 8 waiting for me next :)

I know it's not a comic but - my housemate has the JLA series. I'm making my way through season one at the mo' - the storis are surprisingly robust for what would be a show watched by kids. I approve bigtime! smart stories = smart kids. Some excellent one liners and character interplay

• Advertisement

JLA and JLU were both pretty damn good shows; Batman Beyond/Of The Future and The Batman (at least the first two seasons, before they introduced the Batgirl character) were also worth a watch.

Advertisement