Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What comic are you reading at the moment.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

thumbninja wrote:

I know it's not a comic but - my housemate has the JLA series. I'm making my way through season one at the mo' - the storis are surprisingly robust for what would be a show watched by kids. I approve bigtime! smart stories = smart kids. Some excellent one liners and character interplay

you know i actually caught myself watching that on TG4 even though i cant understand a word of irish :D surprisingly good looking series which i cant wait to get on DVD , really makes me with marvel could get its act together in terms of its animated shows. can someone please tell my why its not on the den where the rest of the country can appreciate it :confused::confused:

ah well, comic collection day tomorrow. be back then to report if theres any buys :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭thumbninja

woohOOo. comics day! :D (and a nice lil pressie awaits me today apparently)

synchonise watches constitutionus.. meet back here in a few hours ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

bah! nothing in :( have to wait till next week. hope your stuff was in thumbninja :D

aye opp..

got 'authority' book one fer my lil bro. He likes main characters that are smartarse bakstids.. suggestions? (I started him on preacher. He loved it)

gat latest 100 bullets. latest DMZ. and a drawing by sean philips :D

being fud poisioned yestrday means I've only read DMZ of that batch.. (the waves of nausea and stomach pains making the issue filled with beautifully identifiable main character)

I like DMZ. I've only read one other brian wood apart from that - channel zero. Check out DMZ folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

Just after finishing Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi; it's about her youth in Iran during and after the Islamic revolution. Well worth a look from a historical and political point of view. I am slowly but surely coming to appreciate comics as a medium in which real issues can be dealt with, not just a stage for superheroes and supervillians :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭the Shades

I picked up Pirates of Coney Island #3 this week and have to say it's a fun little mini. Not many comics out there with that old school indy feel and asome kick ass art, as well as a nice twist on the whole pirate theme. It reminds me of how Vertigo books felt when I first started reading their books and makes me realise that they've become quite mainstream. This is closer to the kind of books I'd like to produce myself and for that I'd recommend it to anyone.

Also picked up The Spirit last week. A very retro book with some great 40's overtones and just different to everything else. a nice homage to Eisner's stuff while also being quite contemporary, but then that's what Darwyn Cooke does best.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

just finisehd vol eight of y, hurrah for christmas reading times

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

the Shades wrote:
    I picked up Pirates of Coney Island #3 this week

Pirates of Coney Island is great, thou I am biased cus its penciled by a fellow ex-SVAer's. His girlfirend does American Virgin which is great too :D

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

thumbninja wrote:
    I know it's not a comic but - my housemate has the JLA series. I'm making my way through season one at the mo' - the storis are surprisingly robust for what would be a show watched by kids. I approve bigtime! smart stories = smart kids. Some excellent one liners and character interplay
    From what I remember, Warren Ellis wrote a script for it and another story was adapted from an Alan Moore orginal, so I not surprised at the quality. It's something I've been meaning to get around to watching myself but something always gets in the way.

My comic buying is still fairly sparse. Got 'A man called kev' #4 and #5. It was a weak ending and although I like the character I wouldn't mind it being left there. 'The Boys' #5 felt a little bit like filler - it and #4 could have been combined. we'll see how it pans out this week.

The new LEague of Extraordinary Gentlemen is supposed to be out soon - anyone heard anything about it?

On a side note as well, I was in Melbourne last week and there was a gallary there with Alex Ross superhero paintings for sale. Great stuff althogether. Nearly bought one and had it shipped home but common sense took hold.

Chrimbo pressies yaay :)

JLA:greatest stories ever told. Supreme Power (book 1). Next wave collected. Bunny Suicides.

also have latest;

y:lastman (as much as I love the series I feel a little like it's just been dragged out for a good while now) *que simon pegg from spaced* "skip to the end..."

Hell blazer. I'm liking the empathy engine storyline.. though poss because it's similar to a short story I made up years ago.. of course they can write/draw whereas english good is mine not.

Fables.. awww the obliquitory christmas issue.. but would be disappointed if there wasn't one

• Advertisement

Draco wrote:
    On a side note as well, I was in Melbourne last week and there was a gallary there with Alex Ross superhero paintings for sale. Great stuff althogether. Nearly bought one and had it shipped home but common sense took hold.

that sounds like it was good. well done - think I would have just caved in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Got the first collection of testament for Christmas, not sure what to think yet. It's interesting and could turn out to be a great book, but this collection is quite hard to follow.
    But I trust Vertigo know what they're doing.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Last I heard of the next League book (Black Dossier, I think it was) was that it had been delayed to February. However, the current listing shows it as being an October 2007 release, which is a shame....

Fysh wrote:
    Last I heard of the next League book (Black Dossier, I think it was) was that it had been delayed to February. However, the current listing shows it as being an October 2007 release, which is a shame....

hmmm... after reading the last War of the Wor... sorry League, I wouldn't be too disappointed about the next hack file.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

As my lungs have decided to pack it in, i've had much reading time for christmas :)
    so at current point i have read:

atomika volm1 - fantastic comic about a god created by communist russia, NEED to read volm 2 asap
    fallen angle volm1 - also need more of this, who IS teh fallen angel?
    morrison's kid eternity - lovely pictures, great story, you needs to read this
    volm's 3 and 4 of the invisibles - morrison is teh man, and the invisibles are a great bunch of characters
    and as previously mentioned, 6-8 of y, cant wait to see how it all ends

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

comic im reading at the mom?
    well,read Franks millers Batman:The Dark knight strikes back, a sequal to his fantasic,properly the best comic of all time imo, Dark knight returns

dksb is a big dissapointing compared to dkr ,but is still good in its own right

comic im reading at the mom?
    well,read Franks millers Batman:The Dark knight strikes back, a sequal to his fantasic,properly the best comic of all time imo, Dark knight returns

dksb is a big dissapointing compared to dkr ,but is still good in its own right

Oh no, the word good does not belong in the same sentence as Dark knight Strikes Back. The horrendous colouring is only the beginning of what's wrong with that book. Although the first book (colouring aside) had some great moments and teased that there'd be a lot of potential the final two just desolved into a quagmire of cliches and a Superman story written by someone who obviously has no clue about the character.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Ichiro

The Flash,
    Midnighter,
    Wildcats,
    Deathblow,
    Blue Beatle,
    WetWorks
    and
    Iorn Fist

My Missu's loves the Flash

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Stuff Wot I Done Read Lately:

Ultimate Nightmare

I'd already read most of it as single issues, but wanted to pick it up again. A pretty good first chapter of the Ultimate Galactus storyline, though I much prefer Nick Fury's team to the annoying pack of muppets that the Ultimate X-Men (possibly except Colossus) appear to be.

Ultimate Extinction

A rather disappointing ending to the story, again compounded by the relative crapness of non-Ultimates characters. (Reed Richards will never be an interesting character, as far as I'm concerned. And the Ultimate X-men are just annoying.) I like the idea of Galactus being something different in the Ultiverse, particularly after the rubbishness that was the Marvel Zombies version of Galactus. But once again, Ellis got bored with the project and pretty much phoned in the last chapter. *Sigh* (There again, Ellis phoning it in is still much better than most monthly stuff)

Ultimates 2 : Gods & Monsters

Again, had read this as single issues but wanted to own it. I'm kind of glad I only got into the whole Ultimates thing last year, means I'm not hanging around cursing the name of Millar while waiting for issue 13 (or ("#7 of 6", as I was informed it was listed on the solicitations forms). Good solid stuff, though I want to read the conclusion sometime before I grow old and die.

Walking Dead Volume 4

I kind of fell off the boat with this for a while, at the end of Book 3. It's a good series, with some interesting characters and a decent storyline. The problem lies in Kirkman's initial idea - to chart the ongoing struggle of a group of zombie survivors in an apocalyptic world. For a time, that's interesting - while the possibilities of the new world are still being explored. But eventually, especially when characters become settled to a given geographical location, it will degenerate into a sort of drama/soap opera. There may still be a greater story being told here, but I've lost sight of what it is and don't have much interest in carrying on reading to find out what it is....

Albion

Decidedly strange fare for a Wildstorm comic; in other words, I really enjoyed this. That being said, I remember a few of the characters (and more importantly, countless other comics along similar lines which gave me enough scope to understand the starting point for this series) and I wonder how accessible or interesting readers completely fresh to these type of comics would find the series. Artwork is fresh and interesting, and the story is good (although a tiny bit contrived). Can't escape the feeling that all the new angles on old characters are kind of lost on readers who by and large didn't know them in the first place...

99 Ways To Draw A Comic : Exercises In Style

I can imagine this being really dull to anyone who doesn't draw or have an interest in making comics. I thought it was brilliant though, a really nice reference for comparing different styles on a standardised idea. One for the reference shelf and probably also occasional leafing through...

Nextwave #11

Nextwave deserves your reproductive organs, and has probably already bought them from your dodgy GP on the black market. Buy this, read it, buy five more issues, then get creative with sellotape and start to take over the walls of your house. Great stuff, gutted there's only one more issue in the current run :(

Fillerbunny

I want to like this, I really do. But the more I see of Fillerbunny, or Jhonen Vasquez' non Squee/JTHM stuff, or Lenore, or the entire bloody genre that arises around it, the less interest I have in it. The joke of "crappily drawn but horrible ideas" is, frankly, not worth one page, never mind 16, and the whole thing feels like something he rejected when doing the "Happy Noodle Boy" strips. It's kind of funny, but, well, so are a whole load of webcomics, and plenty of them are better-drawn and funnier. Feh. (That said, I blame the existence of this comic on the huge market of fan-'tards who appear willing to actually eat poo if it could be proven to have originated in the anal passage of Vasquez himself....)

Yeah it has to be said Fillerbunny is really only around to fill Vasquez's pockets while he thinks of something new to do. Originally created to fill in space in the trades where he needed it now he fills in space in Vasquez's career, and the joke wore thin by the end of the first one. We didn't really need 2 more. Although I do admire his lack of respect for his fanboy fans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭galactus

Got a loan of the first four "Invincible" graphic novels over the weekend.

Yeah, I love superheroes! So shoot me! I love this old-school stuff. Its very well written, very tongue in cheek and has loads of subtle comic references (Marvel, DC, Watchmen etc.)

Next up: Marvel's Essential Thor vol 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭spooydermot

haven't posted in a while so heres the swag:

Ultimate Power:
    Not a huge fan of the Ultimate universe but thoughtI'd pick it up for Squadron Supreme. Intersting enough but i think 9 issues might be pushing it a bit much.

Astonishing X-Men 19:
    I'm usually really impressed by the combination of Whedon and Cassidy but I get the distinct impression that this is about to head in a very silly direction

SpiderMan:Reign:
    Really well written love the idea of Jameson showing up at 'old' Parkers door

Battlestar Galactica: Zarek :
    Not as good as the 'mainstream; BSG comic book, I'll give it another issue and see hoe it shapes up.

The Boys:
    Pretty good, still waiting for it to kick into full speed

Civil War: Front Line
    Usually a great read but I was supremely irritated by the 'embedded' storyline, which went something like this:

A: I figured out the whole conspiracy!
    B: Me too, be we can't discuss it on the phone.
    A: Lets meet in a few panels and discuss it
    B:OK
    (a few panels later after running from some superheros)
    A:Well here we are, shall we reveal the conspiracy
    B:No, lets recap on the last few panels instead
    A: Oh its the end of the issue, talk to you in a couple of weeks
    B Bye then

New Universal #2:
    Reminds me heavily of Rising Stars

Transformers/GI Joe: Black Horizon:
    Good fun, a step u from the other Devils Due Transformers offering (Although the third storyline was quite good) Also a solid 48 pages was a nice treat.

Transformers: Sixshot:
    Fairly uninteresting , not as good as the other transformers series that IDW are producing.

Planetary 1:All over the world
    Really liked this, didn't realise until I opened it that John Cassidy was the artist.
    Can anyone tell me how many volumes there are?

Killing Time:
    Found this lying about, hadn't read it in ages and had forgotten how good it was. From 2000AD which I haven't read in years, I think its from a series called Indigo Prime or something, does anyone remember this?

There's only three volumes of Planetary so far, but gotta say it's really good stuff. The second two volumes are really enjoyable and have some neat ideas in them. To be honest I'm not sure if it's still going or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Re-read Grant Morrison's run on Animal Man.

Great stuff, even if it gets a bit pretentious in parts. Very re-readable.

the Shades wrote:
    There's only three volumes of Planetary so far, but gotta say it's really good stuff. The second two volumes are really enjoyable and have some neat ideas in them. To be honest I'm not sure if it's still going or not.

Issue #26 was out a few months ago and finished up the main storyline; Ellis has stated that there will be an issue #27 to serve as an epilogue of some sorts, although when that comes out is anyone's guess. I could probably grow a beard waiting for the final TPB, though...

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Zoton

Just finished The Invisibles Volume 1 and Fire; am now on to Alias. Gotta love Brian Michael Bendis, a fantastic writer!

This week I picked up:

JSA #2 (why the change back to the stupid long title?)

Not a bad book so far, interesting to see the team coming together and the whole 'legacy' heroes theme. Not so sure about the ending, but will stick around to see where they're going with it. Johns has a habit of really annoying me in the past so will see how long it lasts.

Batman Confidential #2

Ooh what a stinker! This book really is just a series of Batman cliches thrown together all in one handy story. Bad! Bad! Bad!

Welcome to Tranquility #2

Issue one of this book started out well and had lots of nice ideas around the premise of a superhero 'retirement' village, but it all seems to be slipping away fast in issue 2. It started out well and was an ok read but by the end it was just a bit blah! Still like Neil Googe's pencils though.

Just finished Global Frequency and found it enjoyable if not overwhelming. The one thing that really grabbed me about it was Lee Bermejo's artwork on one of the issues (I can't seem to find a title for it) in the second trade. Can anyone recommend some more of his work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Is the second TPB for Global Freq out now yeah?

• Advertisement

I'd say yeah since I was reading it :)

Advertisement