Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What comic are you reading at the moment.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Moogle

Birds of Prey gaphic novels - there are quite a few comics I collect that way. I decided to pick them up after reading Welcome to Tranquility and deciding that Gail Simone was somebody worth reading.

(Plus, she seems equally mad and sincere when you read her interviews).

Civil War - what a let down. Will not spoil it for those who plan to collect the graphic novel. It seems to be followed up by a million Avengers' books too - New, Mighty, Cassic and the Initiative. Avengers could end up like X-men of the '90s

X-Factor - the best x-book at the moment I think.

Thunderbolts - am I the only one who likes this book?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

I'll have a full report of the uk web and mini comix thing up during the week with tons of links to some fab comics but just had to pimp my fav from the con.

fetishman picked up issues 1 -5 and have read them cover to cover half a dozen times - damn funny stuff!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Not read much lately but a few worthwhile reads have included:

Iron Man : Extremis TPB

I'd picked up 5 of the 6 issues of this as it was being published, then missed the conclusion when it came out so the TPB was a welcome purchase. A decent story in its own right (albeit with a couple of bits of Ellis-by-numbers "characterisation" moments, eg Tony coming out with "I hate you so much I can taste it in my-" while being harangued by his secretary about attending meetings), but what I really liked about this (ie enough to pick it up in TPB) was Adi Granov's art. I know a couple of people felt it was joyless, but I honestly think that Granov's style works fantastically for the character (which makes it all the better that he's involved in the movie). Plus, at long last an artist who doesn't give Tony's helmet a facial expression.

American Virgin : Head TPB

I couldn't tell you why but when this series started, I took one look at the first issue (along with the solicitation blurb on the Vertigo listings) and thought "feh". Ages later, I took a look at the TPB and several things struck me:

1) I really, really like the art on it.
    2) It's written by Steven T. Seagle, whose writing I've enjoyed on the few occasions I've seen it.
    3) Ignoring the blurb and actually looking at the first few pages of the story, I'm enticed.

So anyway, I've read the first 4 issues and now I want more. This had been described as a kind of "Y : The Last Man" but it's easier not to think of it in terms of other series, because it's a disservice to every series involved. All I can say right now is that the first TPB of this series has grabbed my interest; more so than plenty of other TPBs have. If it keeps on at this standard, I'll be buying this until the series is done, I should think.

Wormwood #6 by Ben Templesmith:

Templesmith's art combined with deranged demonic leprechauns, you say? SOLD!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Loved Extremis and Love America Virgin. have both TPBs at home, is vol 2 of AV out yet?

Is wormwood good? heard a lot about it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

American Virgin volume 2 isn't out until July, unfortunately. Ah well, we'll have new Fables, Hellblazer and Y The Last Man in between then to keep us busy...

As for Wormwood, it's...interesting. And pretty. But issue 6 doesn't really work on its own, and I haven't found the first collected trade in Other Realms so I'm kind of dropped into the middle of the story. Mind you, I'm generally happy to read anything illustrated by Templesmith as I love his art style so there you go.

• Advertisement

You goin to this Comic con is Derry?

Looks interesting alright, plus John McCrea (one of the two self-proclaimed "idiots from Belfast" responsible for one of my favourite comics ever ie Dicks, with Garth Ennis) is gonna be in attendance. Not sure if I can make it up though, I'll have to check. (Damnit, yet another way of spending money on comics-related stuff...)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

I've been talking with one of the organisers and was thinking of heading up but thursday/firday are bad days works wise and I'd rather save comic spending money for Bristol and MoCCA.

Im just goin up on sat i think for the day, the other days are drawing workshops etc arent they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭spooydermot

Haven't posted in a while, here's the haul from the apst few weeks.

X-Factor 17
    Still one of the best titles that Marvel are putting out, thanks to Peter Davids writing

Chronicles of Wormwood
    I really hope this doesn't turn out to be another one of Garth Ennis's exercises in "look how outrageous I can be with your perceived moral values"
    Ennis has produced some great stuff (Preacher,The Boys) , but some forgettable fodder as well. (Battler Britain)

Ultimate Power
    This is shaping up quite well considering that I put down Squadron Supreme a few issues back, it was just taking too long to move along, whereas this seems to be getting right to the point.

Buffy
    It's pretty good and sets up a promising story....but I would rather Whedon put his efforts into more Serenity comics ;)

Ghost Rider: Trail Of Tears
    Beautiful artwork and well written story line, puts this is the same high standard as Ennis Last run on GR.

Transformers Spotlight: Soundwave
    The nods to the original continuity make this worth the buy (Mount St.Helens) :D
    The spotlights and stories surrounding the new Transformers universe are far more interesting than the main storyline (which is decent enough in itself) but you can't help but wish that they'd start tying it all together and bring in this 'Dead Universe' that they've been touting....

New Universal
    Reeks of Rising Stars, will give it another issue to see if it gets interesting

Mighty Avengers #1
    Pants of the highest order...and the un-welcome return of the 'thought bubble'

Q_Ball wrote:
    there's a transformers prequel story?!

yeah IDW publishing are doing a 4-part story that leads into the movie, part 2 is out at the moment and it's quite good.

They are also doing an adaption of the movie, I'm never a huge fan of comic book adaptions of movies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

may i ask where you got the buffy comic?been looking for them.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 SatelliteTVTalk

Currently reading (well finished reading actually due to it being canned!) 'The Boys', thought it was cool especially the way it ran alongside 'Civil War.' However it was no 'Preacher,' which is why I picked it up in the first place.

Also reading a collected volume of a book called 'DMZ' by Brian Wood, which is absolutely brilliant, second volume was released early feb and is most defo on my wish list.

Currently reading (well finished reading actually due to it being canned!) 'The Boys', thought it was cool especially the way it ran alongside 'Civil War.' However it was no 'Preacher,' which is why I picked it up in the first place.

The Boys will return in June/July published by Dynamite, who are currently doing a great job in the BattleStar Galactica comic.
    may i ask where you got the buffy comic?been looking for them.....
    Picked it up in Forbidden Planet, I think it may well have sold out, but there is a second printing of issue #1 due out on thursday, so you should be able to pick it up then

DMZ is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

Picked it up in Forbidden Planet, I think it may well have sold out, but there is a second printing of issue #1 due out on thursday, so you should be able to pick it up then[/QUOTE]

deadly,giong up[to dublin] on monday for concert , so will pick up then[ will ring today and reserve copy]

check 3rd place too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭ActorSeeksJob

Finished reading all of Rising Stars. Now finishing up on The Invisibles, on volume 5. Really like it, Rising Stars didnt seem as good as its first volume though :(
    Will be hitting 100 Bullets volume 3 and on soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

Rising Stars didnt seem as good as its first volume though :(

I thought that as well. Really liked the story but I thought volumes 2 & 3 were lacking a bit in relation to volume 1. Still a damn good take on the story though.

I had such high hopes after reading volume one, hate when things turn out like that. I wouldn't even bother reading volume 4, the two mini comic series.

Pretty much worked my way through all of The Invisibles, was pretty good. Reading 100 Bullets now which im finding to be pretty damn enjoyable. Waiting for my "Batman : The Killing Joke" to come from Ebay, read that and Maus, and I will be stumped for ideas for what to read!

I had such high hopes after reading volume one, hate when things turn out like that. I wouldn't even bother reading volume 4, the two mini comic series.

There's a vol 4 you say? Well, I'm gonna have to take a look at that. Much as I found vols 2 & 3 to be less than I expected, I still really enjoyed the story.
    /me googles

Edit: Oh darn, it's not written by JMS :( Pooh to that so!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

yah, i was about to say that. they just look like cash in's ala the doc spectrum and nighthawk minis spinning off of supreme power so avoid is the word.

by the way did you hear thanks to hero's theyre making a TV series of rising stars? i can see the critics slagging it off for being a ripp off when the reverse is more likely :D

bought transformers escalation 5 myself. pretty good smack down between prime and megs thats been building since infiltration and considering thats pretty much all that really going on they got some lovely characterisation going on between prowl and hot rod and some lovely subplots in regards to the machination and a new human group skywatch (yup, i think warren ellis is going to sue too :D though technically it'd be jim lee).
    one of the joys of this series is i really like the idea of humans getting their hands on TF tech. you just know those nasty gov types will get up to no good, plus it means the dinobots are coming soon :):):)

by the way did you hear thanks to hero's theyre making a TV series of rising stars? i can see the critics slagging it off for being a ripp off when the reverse is more likely :D

I might have heard something about a film or a show alright a while back or it might have just been wishful thinking on my part :rolleyes: If Straczynski's involved I'll be a happy bunny!

Haven't heard that about Rising Stars. Unless they get a really good director with a decent budget, it's gonna end badly. From Wikipedia : Rising Stars Vol.4 (collects Rising Stars: Bright and Rising Stars: Voices Of The Dead; just the two storys of Lionel Zerg and the cop(cant remember their names exactly),I wouldn't have bought it myself if id known.

I hear the Daredevil/Ghost Rider director Mark Steven Johnson is gonna bring Preacher to tv for HBO. Suppose if that goes well we could see more. I just dont think there are many people who could pull off bringing a comic to tv/movies successfully

btw have you watched Babylon 5 Jack? Is it any gooD? Always thought of it as one of those crappy shows till i read RS

btw have you watched Babylon 5 Jack? Is it any gooD? Always thought of it as one of those crappy shows till i read RS

Yeah, I started watching it about a year ago and it's bloody great. Anyway, probably not the place to start a conversation about it but check out the B5 forum if you're interested.

bought transformers escalation 5 myself. pretty good smack down between prime and megs thats been building since infiltration and considering thats pretty much all that really going on they got some lovely characterisation going on between prowl and hot rod and some lovely subplots in regards to the machination and a new human group skywatch (yup, i think warren ellis is going to sue too :D though technically it'd be jim lee).
    one of the joys of this series is i really like the idea of humans getting their hands on TF tech. you just know those nasty gov types will get up to no good, plus it means the dinobots are coming soon :):):)

Yeah this issue really did it for me, they're starting to tie the Spotlight issues (most of which were really good) into the main story. Have to say I'm looking foward to the next phase of the story: Devestation.
    I wonder whose head that was at the beginning of the issue?
    I'm guessing it might have been
    Scorponock

Haven't heard that about Rising Stars. Unless they get a really good director with a decent budget, it's gonna end badly. From Wikipedia : Rising Stars Vol.4 (collects Rising Stars: Bright and Rising Stars: Voices Of The Dead; just the two storys of Lionel Zerg and the cop(cant remember their names exactly),I wouldn't have bought it myself if id known.
    Don't bother with the spin off's from Rising Stars, they really don't add a huge amount to the story and aren't written by Strazinsky...and also aren't that interesting. If you want though he did a really good run in Amazing Spiderman which is collected in several paperbacks.

Wolverine #52: Finally going somewhere, then end of this issue could be really setting up something interesting for Wolverine.

Strange Girl #15: Could move a little faster, but over all a pretty satisfying read on a regular basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Dark Artist

Collected Astonshing Spider-Man for about ten years but I eventually stopped for some reason :( I really have to get back into it, I got so lost in those comics.

Just finished Enki Bilal's Townscapes and I'm well impressed. I keep saying I have to get my hands on more of Bilal's work cos the art is just beautiful but this is only the second collection I've got my hands on. Must buy more :)

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭the Shades

The same comics I read every month Pinky!

Sorry, popped into my head and couldn't resist.

brilliant :D

• Advertisement

Goddamnit Murra, that was crap.

I've not picked up much new reading lately; made a start on Persepolis though which is proving to be very good, reminds me of David B's Epileptic in the art style (in saying that, I'm pretty sure Persepolis came first, but anyway...)

Advertisement