Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What comic are you reading at the moment.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Fysh wrote:

I've not picked up much new reading lately; made a start on Persepolis though which is proving to be very good, reminds me of David B's Epileptic in the art style (in saying that, I'm pretty sure Persepolis came first, but anyway...)

Actually Marjane Satrapi didn't really start drawing comics until she met David B and she adopted his style and persepolis was first published by L'Association the publishing house co founded by David B.

Some of the french animators working with us were working on the Persepolis animated feature before coming here and some of the animation tests we saw of it look pretty nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

re-Reading Serenity:Those Left Behind atm

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Secret identity. excellent superman story, havent finished it yet but so far i'm really enjoying it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Secret Identity is one of the best superman books out there i reckon

Buffy The Vampire Slayer Season 8: Issue 1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭the Shades

I've read issue 1 & 2 of Buffy and so far the only thing making me want to pick it up again is the arrival of whatever character he uses as the cliffhanger in each issue. Not quite sure what that says about the book as a whole.

Also read Madman Atomic Comics 1 this week. I love Madman been reading it for years, I love Mike Allred's art I love his weird ideas and this one tops everything that's come before for weird. Won't stop me from continuing reading though :p

• Registered Users Posts: 44 DrFunkenstein

Havent seen buffy yet, one of my mates is raving about it tho..
    but he's obsessed :D :rolleyes:

Reading the sandman series by Neil Gaiman.. :cool:

cant anyone recomdent somewhere to sub to the buffy comic?forbidden planet[uk site] is like 5 pounds for one comic ,every posting
    i could do with the dublin store, but they say you need to sub to at least 3 other comics in order to set up an account
    anyone know of any cheap monthlys that they might sell?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I'd recommend Fell and Casanova if you're looking for stuff to bulk up your sub list cheaply, as they're decent comics and set at a lower price point than a lot of stuff on the market.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Finished Persepolis yesterday, found it very good. The stylistic similarity to what I've seen of David B's stuff is matched by a similar approach to writing in that, though it's a personal story, there's a startling amount of honesty even regarding the sort of unflattering details we tend to prefer to forget or ignore. Definitely worth a read if you like your literate graphic novels.

Not sure what else to read now, want to get the collected Little Nemo In Slumberland books due out this summer but there's not much I'm arsed reading in Other Realms. New Hellblazer TPB out soon though, and there should be more Fables and Y The Last Man too.

• Advertisement

Fysh wrote:
    Not sure what else to read now, want to get the collected Little Nemo In Slumberland books due out this summer but there's not much I'm arsed reading in Other Realms. New Hellblazer TPB out soon though, and there should be more Fables and Y The Last Man too.

Well theres always Persepolis 2 - or is it 3 and 4, I've never looked at the irish/uk printing to see if its the same as the french or the north american verision. In France there has been 4 books but when printed in North American they print books 1 and 2 as Persepolis and books 3 and 4 as Persepolis 2 - bit confusing if you don't know - i should have checked your copy when i was there.

I rec "Paul has a summer job" by Michel Rabagliati - when your up in kilkenny let me know and I'll lead it to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

Hmmm...didn't realise there was a second book of Persepolis, just assumed that the 2 volumes in the book that I have are the only ones. I should really start googling things I like to see if there are follow ups :rolleyes:

Hmmm...didn't realise there was a second book of Persepolis, just assumed that the 2 volumes in the book that I have are the only ones. I should really start googling things I like to see if there are follow ups :rolleyes:

Well the one you have might be all 4 - I just saw it on the table and didnt look through it so couldn't tell you, I didn't even know they'd printed the soft cover yet.

I just know it was published as 4 books in france but the english printing had 1 and 2 as 1 and 3 and 4 as 2. They may have done a printing of all 4 in one, I've never checked.

Just read up on it in Wikipedia and it looks like my copy (the one I lent to Fysh) contains all four sections of the story. Ah well. Sure, I'll probably take a look at some of her other work anyway. And must nick Epileptic off himself at some point too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭ActorSeeksJob

just read Batman : The killing joke last night. I was very impressed, loved the art in it and the storyline was excellent. Shame it was so short though.

Just finished Secret Identity. Not too impressed tbh. I found it a bit flat and whiny. It felt like someone trying to bolt real life problems onto Superman but in a very ham-fisted way, only marginally better than the use of Kryptonite to throw a spanner in the works imo. I quite like Stuart Immonen's artwork though. It's an interesting change after seeing his Nextwave work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

I love Secret Identity. one of my fave supes books

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

Just finished Bad Company : Goodbye Krool World. Next, I'll be reading Batman : Gotham By Gaslight, and mebbe the 04' Christmas prog of 2000AD.

currently reading essential x-men 151-it reprinted the x-men gotilta storyline
    is crap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭early.house

I have to say that the Walking Dead stuff is really good

• Advertisement

currently reading buffy the vampire slayer season 8 issue 2......fantasic

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭galactus

Confession: about to crack open Dark Night Returns.

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

Battle Pope Volume 1&2 Before Walking Dead there was Battle Pope. Un ashamedly a fight comic, the action comes hard and fast along with the jokes. I've wanted to have a look at these for a while as I think the concept of a superhero pope just makes me tingle. Not bad but a little bit fluffy - I don't know if I'd be bothered reading them again for a good long while.

Walking Dead Volume 6At bloody last! It's seems like forever since the last volume came out. This volume seems stronger than the last two but I can't quite put my finger on why. Maybe it's because the zombies have almost become part of the background or because I've been so starved of good comics recently I'll adore any auld ****e.

Fables Volume 1 Again, something I've been meaning to get for a while. I wasn't sure if I was going to like this or not as this sort of wholesale robbery of characters dopesn't always work (with the notable exception of League of Extra-ordinary Gentlemen) but I was pleasantly surprised. A decent enough detective story with some exposition and character introductions nicely dovetailed in.

Ex Machina Volume 3&4 This series is being to lose my interest. It's not that there's not enough 'smashy-smash' for me but the political wranglings leave me just a bit cold.

Battle Pope is great, though I'm not sure I'd be arsed reading more than about 2 volumes of it. It's kind of like Sharknife (though not quite as good). Great fun but not exactly weighty stuff.

I've picked up a complete Little Nemo In Slumberland recently which will need a lot of time and attention; other than that the only new stuff I've read is Armor Wars. And, well, oh dear god. I get a big nostalgia kick any time I read Iron Man stories featuring the silver & red armour, but my god the writing is hammy. Luckily the underlying material is reasonably strong, although even then there's only so many times I can read Tony Stark gurning over "how much suffering and misery has been caused with my technology" before I want to slap him. Vaguely interesting to see that the Stark in Armor Wars does, to a certain extent, foreshadow the Stark in Civil War in his attitudes but not in his ideals...

Read The Ultimates and the first book of Ultimates 2 over the weekend and was pretty impressed. Captain America just pissed me off though, All American righteous git that he is. The artwork in Ultimates 2 was a bit annoying, a lot of it just looked like the artist was tracing over famous actors faces. Working on the Ultimate Galactus series now.

aye,ultimates is legendary....cant wait till ultimates 2 volume 2 is released....been waiting ages.........

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

did the last issue with the smack down with thor in issue 13 ever come out? i got fed up waiting so i honestly couldnt tell you. i usually check wiki to see whether a storylines been finished and they still say its ongoing

if its not out its giving image a run for its money in the late stakes :D

Bryan Hitch finished the artwork for it earlier in the year, it's due out sometime in the next few weeks, which should hopefully mean a trade in June or July...

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭the Shades

Issue 13 is due out on May 16th accordnig to Marvel.com.

As for me I've finally caught up with Y:The Last Man ready for this week's trade. I'm kind of making my way through Fables and Little Nemo (joy!)

I've also almost finished catching up with Joe Casey's work on Wildcats. I read it ages ago so some of it was re-reading but there's no doubt Grant Morrison didn't even look at it when he started talking about 'adult' superheros. casey's corporate superheroes in Version 3.0 are more adult and entertaining than Morrison managed in his one issue 6 months ago. I know it's too early to judge Morrison's entire run (2015 might be a good time) but Casey's work was fresh original and certainly entirely different to anything superheroes had done before. (Yeah even with Alan Moore) Might include it on the Ultimate Comic Bookshelf actually (haha pimp my own thread) :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

read the first two volumes of claymore. kinda want to read more even though it's not the sorta comic i'd normally pick up (also the boys at work will disown me if i dont~)

Advertisement