Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What comic are you reading at the moment.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Jonesy3110

Im reading Hypervelocity (found out Tony Stark likes Ministry who are one of my favs.. that guy gets cooler by the day) and also, I know its not a comic and I don't read it, but I'm watching the Iron Man cartoon from the 90's and the first series of JLA. And also Essential Uncanny X-Men! I think I do too many things at once :P

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Hypervelocity looks good but I'm waiting for the trade to buy it as I missed the first issue. Speaking of cartoons though, has anyone seen the Invincible Iron Man cartoon film that's out? I'm hoping it's good as the 90's iron man cartoon was, shall we say, not quite up to the standard I'd hoped for. (Compare it to the 90s spiderman cartoon and it's not quite so good, for example...)

I seen it, I thought the mix of 3d and 2d animation was a bit weird, but aside from that I really enjoyed it. I really liked how it shows his progression from millionaire playboy asshole to someone with an actual conscience. I thought it was done well :P I missed the first 4 issues of hypervelocity too, but I went around to all the comic book stores on saturday and managed to find them:P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

read 28 days later :The aftermate again this morning....good,but not great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Captain Smiggy

Watchmen....again, but also gotham central

• Advertisement

Been awhile since I posted here. Since leaving Galway and moving back to Ballina the selection of comics on offer has been rather slim, thank christ for amazon and play is all I'll say.

Anyways I picked up the newest issue of The Dark Tower during the week, I'm quiet enjoying it so far. The artwork is astounding and worth the price alone.

I also got my mitts on a copy of 28 Days Later: The Aftermath and I really enjoyed it. I think the fact that I love the film may make me somewhat biased.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭BrenC

Im just after finishing Blankets and am now on Ultimate Spider-man.
    Just light reading.

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

Y: The last man Volume 9, issues 55, 56: Christ almighty, another bunch of horseapples suggested for the death of all men. Bah. The two stand alone stories weren't great either - the last woman story too smuggly self-referental and the supermodel corpse cleaner felt fairly pointless. The start of what I undertand is the final arc feels rushed. We'll see how it pans out.

I just read the last Preacher last night - Woo they were awesome!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

Just finished all 7 volumes of the Invisibles today - my mind has blown away and I won't get it back...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

preacher is finally over?

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭galactus

Dark Knight Returns tbh. *This came out during my non-comic reading years).

Haven't finished yet but kick-ass. Some paralells with Watchmen (licensed superheroes, over-the-hillness etc). Reminiscent of King Conan! (had to throw that in).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭ActorSeeksJob

the pure joy of discovering The Invisibles, The Dark Knight Returns, and The Preacher for the first time was intense. I plan on reading all of Y : The Last Man, and The Sandman once I finish my exams. Been on a graphic novel hiatus for a while.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

FFS!

Just did some quick looking at DC's listings site, because I've not picked up anything except 2000ad for Bob Byrne's Twisted Tales lately, and I find out that the craptacular Other Realms has now failed to pick up not one but TWO Hellblazer books AND the latest Y: The Last Man trade. Anyone read any of them? Care to tease me as to their contents?

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭the Shades

Y:The Last Men was great :D

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

Fysh wrote:
    latest Y: The Last Man trade.
    Ahem: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=53237594&postcount=609

When did Andy Diggle start writting Hellblazer? I might be interested in picking it up again in that case.

Andy Diggle started as of issue 230, apparently. No idea what it's like as I don't bother with the singles (although at the rate of release of the TPBs and my ability to get my hands on them I'll be an old man before I get to read the end of Mike Carey's run...)

I have a feeling I read that Carey's Hellblazer finale was coming out soon... might be mistaken though.

Well, Reasons To Be Cheerful is meant to be out now but The Gift (collecting his last arc) isn't out until September. Which, considering that all of Denise Mina's run will have been released in TPB format by then, is a bit stupid. That's one area where Marvel wins over DC...

Read The Vesuvius Club by Mark Gatiss (League of Gentleman) and Ian Bass on the train this morning. Quite a quick read but really nicely done and the art is gorgeous. There's even one panel that reminded me of you Kyle (personally I think you'd really appreciate it) :p

• Advertisement

I've got that somewhere, actually. Can't remember which panel you might mean off the top of my head but will have a look later...

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

Currently getting through my stack of comics from FCBD, but I got bored, and so now I'm leafing through the new Hellboy; Darkness Calls 1.

Just finished Civil War: Front Line. The end was quite distressing for me, I have to re-read the last few pages a couple more times, just to make sure I’m not misunderstanding what’s going on :( My bf is jumping for joy that Im not so much in love with Tony Stark now :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Overcooked

just finished Alison Bechdel's 'Fun Home'. it's an autobiographical account of her own childhood with her closeted gay father. despite the potential heaviness of the material, the wittiness and humour make this a brilliant read. intelligent and articulate, it ranks as literature if u ask me. am just starting scott mcclouds 'understanding comics', as am feeling in the mood for a bit of theory and hopefully something that will help me improve my own comics!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Overcooked wrote:
    just finished Alison Bechdel's 'Fun Home'. it's an autobiographical account of her own childhood with her closeted gay father. despite the potential heaviness of the material, the wittiness and humour make this a brilliant read. intelligent and articulate, it ranks as literature if u ask me. am just starting scott mcclouds 'understanding comics', as am feeling in the mood for a bit of theory and hopefully something that will help me improve my own comics!

I really loved Bechdel's Fun Home...........I was fan of hers already from her other comic dykes to watch out for but this was just a totally different level. Fantastic book. Her washes are beautiful and the way she tackled the subject matter i thought was very mature and yet still light and entertaining..if that makes sense. Shes going to be doing panel at MoCCA so I'm hoping to get my copy signed and maybe get some insight into the her whole process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭ActorSeeksJob

just finished reading Batman : The long Halloween, which I felt was pretty good. Never was much of a Batman fan, but TLH, Year One, The Killing Joke, and The Dark Knight Returns are converting me fast. Any other Batman recommendations anybody?

Finished 100 Bullets, volume 9. What a lovely cover on it, and was pretty good read itself. Always enjoy reading it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Theres a good few Batmans that are worth a read. And a whole hell of a lot that aint. One of my favourites, even though its not 100% batman is "Sword of Azrael"

Dark Victory the sequel to Long Halloween is pretty good too and if you can find it the Legends of the Dark Knight one-shot The Gauntlet is a really great read. There's a new collection of Darwyn Cooke's Batman stories about to come out too which I'd recommend picking up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

Just finished reading the latest X - Factor hardcover and I have to say I really enjoy this series. Madrox must be one of the best characters marvel have going at the moment and I just love some of the concepts they have introduced in this title over the last year or so. The writing is intelligent and funny and the art style really fits the noir feel of the book. Try it out you wont be disapointed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭spooydermot

Just finished Blankets, absolutely fantastic.

Also been making my way through Y:The Last Man, really good stuff but the 9th vol is slightly disappointing.
    On the back of Y, I picked up Ex Machina which is also a good read, can't believe that the guy s putting out both titles at once.

Has anyone read 'Pride of Bagdahd' ? - any good?
    MikeHoncho wrote:
    Just finished reading the latest X - Factor hardcover and I have to say I really enjoy this series. Madrox must be one of the best characters marvel have going at the moment and I just love some of the concepts they have introduced in this title over the last year or so. The writing is intelligent and funny and the art style really fits the noir feel of the book. Try it out you wont be disapointed.

Yeah X-Factor is one of the few Marvel titles I can still stomach, I'm about to quit on Wolverine , and Amazing Spiderman seems to only come out on the odd occasion these days.

Advertisement