Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What comic are you reading at the moment.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Just finished Blankets, absolutely fantastic.

ahhh Blankets, god i hate that book. My friend loved is and actually cried after reading it but I just found it beyond boring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Just finished Mouse Guard. Was excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Jonesy3110

I read Civil War: Iron Man hoping to find out at which point they switched Tony Stark with an alien/robot/clone and turned Iron Man into Total Asshole Man :( It hasn't happened yet but I know it will. At least, thats what I've been telling myself :(

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭the Shades

Jonesy3110 wrote:
    I read Civil War: Iron Man hoping to find out at which point they switched Tony Stark with an alien/robot/clone and turned Iron Man into Total Asshole Man :( It hasn't happened yet but I know it will. At least, thats what I've been telling myself :(

Since Tony got the Reality Infinity Gem in Illuminati #2 there's a thought on the Avengers boards that it might all be the result of him driven mad by it and bending reality with the stone.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Jonesy3110

Since Tony got the Reality Infinity Gem in Illuminati #2 there's a thought on the Avengers boards that it might all be the result of him driven mad by it and bending reality with the stone.

I'm willing to accept any theory. *sob*

• Advertisement

Jonesy3110 wrote:

have you seen Civil War redubbed?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 lucy333

now im bzy with my all time fav TINTIN:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭MarkHall

NextWave Agents of Hate. Book 1.
    Great book. Five Minor characthers used in the most mental way possable. A great addition to the marvel universe.
    Worth it fot the Machine Man and Captain ***** Origin.

Not really reading. But Simon Bisely presents the BIble is a great art book.
    For fans of his style well worth picking up.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭the Shades

On a whim I picked up The Amazing Joy Buzzards Vol. 2 the other day, I liked the art and hell it's abotu rock stars. Still slowly savouring it because man, this is good comics :D *does a little dance that is simple yet highly embarrassing*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 obrien_jimmy

Reading Batman: Hush and Superman For Tommorow,
    Havent read a comic book in years since I was like 9 or so, But once I seen Jim Lees artwork on the pages was kinda drawn to reading them and they were actually quite good. Plot and art on both titles are extremely cool, Hopefully getting Kingdom Come on monday or so, been hearing its an extremely good comic book.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

At long last I got around to picking up some new reading material for myself (typically, just after being lent a whole bunch of comics, but them's the breaks).

First up was Heartbreak Soup : A Love And Rockets Book, which was absolutely awesome. I've been meaning to pick up some Love & Rockets stuff for ages, but kept putting it off. What I've read so far is great stuff - a cohesive art style that's far more expressive than I would've expected, a hugely diverse cast of characters, some great storylines, and wonderfully sympathetic writing. Considering how devoid of interest I'm finding mainstream comics at the moment, it's great to know I've got a load more of this stuff waiting for me to get around to reading.

Then there's Should You Be Laughing at This?, more awesomeness in book form. A collection of crudely drawn single panel cartoons, these things will delight anyone who enjoys That Which Is Wrong. I think Explosm is the easiest comparison to make. Check out the link to see a few samples.

I've still got Joe Sacco's "Safe Area Gorazde" and Harvey Pekar's "Quitter" to go before I start on the pile of borrowed comics, but damn it's nice to have a bit of variety in my comics reading again...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 M. Sean McManus

galactus wrote:
    Exiles Vol 4.Conan #16
    Kurt Busiek and Cary Nord are GODS! I've been reading Conan since the oceans drank Atlantis but this is up there with the best of them (ie Roy Thomas & John Buscema).
    I totally agree with this. I can't think of a single issue of the new Conan that has disappointed me. I didn't like The Book of Thoth that much, didn't even finish the series, but everything else has been great. Mignola's stuff was fun, and the stuff Truman is doing is really a great as well. It's a great series.

Right now I'm reading the Powers GN #9.

Fysh wrote:

I've still got Joe Sacco's "Safe Area Gorazde"

If you enjoy that keep an eye out for Sacco's "The Fixer" [or rob it from me], by far my fav of his works. Everyone always goes on about "Palestine" I think his other books tend to get overlooked.

I think I've seen a snippet of Palestine in one of the D&Q compilation books, but will be checking out more of his stuff if Safe Area Gorazde is any good. (I'm pretty sure one of the local bookshops just got a bunch of Fantagraphics stuff in as well so I'll be along to rifle through them too :D).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭ActorSeeksJob

just read volume 1 of the Punisher Max Series. Was good, although not as good as I was expecting. Still entertaining stuff and look forward to the rest of it. In particular the scene with the main female bad guy Ma Gnucchi at the end, in her room, having her hair/lipstick done was genius.

Going to finish off 100 Bullets and The Invisibles now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭spooydermot

just re-read Judge Dredd:Judgement day - 'twas a bit of a nostalgia trip, haven't been tempted to read anything from 2000AD in a long long time.
    Some great art in places and in parts the writing is a bit hammy but as a package it works on entertainment value :D

Was Judgement Day released as a trade? Love to get my hands on that.
    Ma Gnucci wasnt Punisher MAX if i remember correct. Just normal Ennis/Dillion Punisher. The first arch in Punisher max is the Micro one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭spooydermot

bombidol wrote:
    Was Judgement Day released as a trade? Love to get my hands on that.

Yeah, it's out now as a trade, I saw a copy in the Forbidden Planet last week, or its also available here

anyone know if Rouge Trooper: The War machine is ever going to get a release?

Ma Gnucci wasnt Punisher MAX if i remember correct. Just normal Ennis/Dillion Punisher
    Yeah you are right, damn I really wanted to check out the Punisher MAX series! Is there a name for the Ennis Punisher series? Do you know how many volumes there are? I think I read that there was 12...just curious :)

Was reading volume 2 of Y : The Last Man. Really love it. Should have bought more of the volumes. Extremely entertaining it is, would be one of my favourite graphic novels if it stays this good.

Also finished volume 10 of 100 Bullets, it's decent..

• Advertisement

Y-The last man is great. There arent that many TPBs of the Ennis Dillon stuff (Its just bog standard "The Punisher") I think there may be 3 or 4? "Welcome Back Frank", "Army Of One" and "Business As Usual" are the only ones that spring to mind

Far as I can tell on the Marvel catalog site, there's 7 volumes of the Max series out.

I found a few things going cheap second hand in a local bookshop so have purchased yet more comics. Thus, reading so far has included:

Harvey Pekar's The Quitter:

Haven't read anything by Pekar since I discovered American Splendor around about when the film came out. I really enjoyed this, it seems that Pekar's writing is stronger than it was at some points during American Splendor. The artwork suits the story and makes the whole thing feel more cohesive, while also managing to keep a dynamic feel which is sometimes missing in American Splendor. I'll be keeping an eye out for other work of Pekar's now.

"It's A Good Life, If You Don't Weaken" by Seth:

According to Drawn & Quarterly's site, the paperback version of this isn't available at the moment so picking up a second hand copy for a tenner strikes me as a bit of luck. I enjoyed this, it's in the vein of Daniel Clowes, Adrian Tomine or Chester brown and with a very particular style. The paper in the book is coloured to appear aged and the cover has a certain nostalgic vibe to it, which makes sense when the story is chiefly about a character who thinks that life was "simpler back then". As ever with these kind of stories, there are some nice moments of character examination and the self-criticism is honest without being self-pitying. Worth a read.

"Paul Has a Summer Job" by Michel Rabagliati

Borrowed from ztoical, I'd wanted to read this for a while (since reading a Paul short story in one of the Drawn & Quarterly collections) and it didnt disappoint. The linework is simple but stylised and the story is your classic coming-of-age tale. Unusually for a lot of comics of this type, there's a strong humourous vein running through this, which makes the story and the characters all the more engaging. Definitely worth looking at as a lighter, humorous alternative to the likes of Tomine or Clowes.

Still left to go :

David Mack's "Kabuki : Circle of Blood" (already read it once, but picked up a cheap second hand copy so will be re-reading it), Joe Sacco's "Safe Area Gorazde" (started, but not finished), and something else I've forgotten the name of. Damn. (And thats before moving onto the big heap of books I was lent recently...)

Fysh wrote:

"Paul Has a Summer Job" by Michel Rabagliati

i have his other two books as well if you want to read them...Paul in the country is just a small 30 odd page story and then theres Paul Moves out which i think is better then summer job [its about the same size thou i have the hardback verision of that]

I always love that Seth is just called "Seth" and everyone knows who you mean even thou there are tons of artists with the name Seth.........its the same with Jason, that cartoonist from norwary, its just Jason but everyone knows who you mean.

Is Kabuki any use? I seen one or two of them in the chapters second hand section but didnt pick em up.

Circle of Blood is the only part I've read, it's pretty good - I'm not too sure about the rest of them though as I've read that they're more concerned with memories, philosophies and ideas than actual plot and not a lot happens. (That being said, I've been tempted to pick up volume 2 repeatedly just because the artwork is pretty...)

Kabuki sounds good from what I've read about it online. Going to check it out next time I'm in town.

Was just reading The Sandman vol2, it's strange but I quite like it I think. Neil Gaiman seems to be pretty talented. Also read Walking Dead vol1 which I thought was really good. Was expecting it to be not great, so was a pleasant surprise. Annoyed that I didn't buy more volumes of it.

Next things for me to read are final volume of The Invisibles and Maus, I have way too much stuff to read at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

offtopic but still-
    does anyone know when ultimates 2 vol 2 is out?been waiting for it for ages.....

According to this, it's out on the 27th of June.

Getting that ultimates 2 vol 2 TPB myself gonna be awesome. Read World War Hulk #1 last night. its rocking, it satisfies all Hulk criteria. Hulk smashing, and Hulk smashing some more.

• Advertisement

just got these :

Y : The Last Man vols 4-9
    Walking Dead vol2
    Punisher Max Series vol 1-3

going to have a nice relaxing weekend reading those :)

Advertisement