Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What comic are you reading at the moment.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

was anyone else disappointed with the first issue of IDW's Tank Girl? In theory I should have loved it, I'm a massive tank girl fan and a massive Ashley Wood fan yet I found the whole thing kinda blah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭ActorSeeksJob

just read Fables volume1, find it to be very good, just hope it stays this way. Finished more Punisher and Walking Dead, not bad.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

finally got around to reading 300, really enjoyed it more than i expected to (the film was pretty but dreadful)
    Also just finished the dark knight returns and batman: year one, also loved these both
    read some more transmet, man i love spider.
    currently fifty odd pages into 2 sisters: a super spy graphic novel. lovin the look of it, will report back
    also picked up more of hte invisibles so ill read them the weekend coming i reckons

yeah frank miller is good, you should check out Ronin(not bad) and Batman The Long Halloween(not Miller but still quite good).

really have to check out more Transmetropolitan, bought volume one months ago but never got the rest of em, skint now unfortunately!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Just finished the Ultimates 2... not sure what to think. The whole
    Army of Asgard thing
    I felt was a little overdone and kinda spoiled it for me. Otherwise an excellent book.

Now about ten issues into The Authority and again, I'm a little disappointed, but I think it could be great later on.

Also Ministry of Space by Warren Ellis, which is just a really fun, enjoyable read, and rereading early Transmetropolitan so I can continue on with the series.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭MarkHall

Ultimates 2 was worth it for the Quicksliver payoff I think. I was a little Disappionted with the Final Issue as I was expecting slightly more.
    And I would have liked to see Hawkeye hunt down those responsable for the death of his Familly.
    Really did love the fight in his Kitchen.

Stick with The Authority and you'll be well rewarded.
    Most Enjoyable book and When your done with it get the Kev Stuff. A good laugh.

The Tale of One Bad Rat by Bryan Talbot - A tale of child abuse told in a very realistic and thoughtful style - very different from Talbots other work, very simplistic with super referenced backgrounds and characters and lovely watercolour washes. Worth getting the trade for Talbots comments at the end where he really goes into his thought process. While the over all style of the book is meant to invoke a Beatrix Potter mood, for me it brought back memories of comics like Bunty and Mandy [prob lost every boy reading this now] and stories like the four marys.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

ztoical wrote:
    The Tale of One Bad Rat by Bryan Talbot - A tale of child abuse told in a very realistic and thoughtful style - very different from Talbots other work, very simplistic with super referenced backgrounds and characters and lovely watercolour washes. Worth getting the trade for Talbots comments at the end where he really goes into his thought process. While the over all style of the book is meant to invoke a Beatrix Potter mood, for me it brought back memories of comics like Bunty and Mandy [prob lost every boy reading this now] and stories like the four marys.
    nooooooooooo not the four marys

/me whimpers in teh corner

Tree wrote:

Just in the style of colouring not in the storytelling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Overcooked

Tree wrote:

i lUVED the four marys... in fact just thinking about them is making me feel all teary-eyed and nostalgic. god be with the days of Bunty and co....!;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Shameful Truths Of My Addiction To Comics:

When I was a kid, mostly reading your Dandys & Beanos (and their spanish equivalents), I repeatedly found myself lacking anything to read and bored senseless. And, well, my sis had a stash of old bunty and mandy comics. I probably read through every one of the damn things, all the while wishing for something involving spaceships or comically exagerated violence.

They do say the first step to recovery is recognizing your addiction, after all...;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Overcooked

Fysh wrote:
    And, well, my sis had a stash of old bunty and mandy comics. I probably read through every one of the damn things, all the while wishing for something involving spaceships or comically exagerated violence.
    and i used to read my brothers beano, buster and dandy... not quite as embarrassing as your revelation though (kidding, kidding, kidding of course!):)

Edited to fix broken quote tag

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭the Shades

Actually I used to read my sister's Mandy and there was one really creepy story about this alien girl that looked like a freaky doll and was trying to take over the world, but she was sweet as can be to everyone and only her big 'sister' could see through her evil scheme! It was pretty good compared to some of the stuff in the boy comics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭pauldeehan

When I was a kid I would read a lot of Beano and Thunderbird comics but I was really into those one-off Commando comics if anyone remembers them? Lots of Boy's Own World War 2 stuff, I used to love them.

Bought a big book of them recently and was rather disappointed at how bad they are. Must have just been nostalgia. But I passed them on to some of my younger cousins, so hopefully they'll enjoy them.

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

Fysh wrote:
    When I was a kid, mostly reading your Dandys & Beanos (and their spanish equivalents), I repeatedly found myself lacking anything to read and bored senseless. And, well, my sis had a stash of old bunty and mandy comics. I probably read through every one of the damn things, all the while wishing for something involving spaceships or comically exagerated violence.
    Snap.

I console myself these days with the fact that the likes of Pat Mills and John Wagner wrote a shed load of them during the 70s.

pauldeehan - those Commando comics are still being made. You see them the odd time in news agents.

Draco wrote:

pauldeehan - those Commando comics are still being made. You see them the odd time in news agents.

Yeah Easons def stock them and last April they celebrated their 4000th issue

the Shades wrote:
    Actually I used to read my sister's Mandy and there was one really creepy story about this alien girl that looked like a freaky doll and was trying to take over the world, but she was sweet as can be to everyone and only her big 'sister' could see through her evil scheme! It was pretty good compared to some of the stuff in the boy comics.

yeah some of the stories in Bunty were creepy - there was one were two girls where sucked back in time and people thought they were witches - the art was very black with very muggy greens and browns - gave me the chills [I was 7 at the time so prob wouldnt have taken much to scare me lol]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Ibjiba

Rocky! It is hilarious! http://www.rocky-digital.com/

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

ztoical wrote:
    Yeah Easons def stock them and last April they celebrated their 4000th issue

I was in Easons the other day and saw a large collected book of Commando stories called something like "The Dirty Dozen". Could be right up your alley, pauldeehan. More info here.

My copy of Flight Volume Four arrived this morning...........its beyond pretty. I didn't think they could top three but they have and then some. Amazing range of art and storytelling styles. Its really hard to pick out a stand out story from the book they are all amazing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Reading The contract with God trology by Eisner at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Hagakure_irl

Reading a lot of Y: The Last man and Blade of the immortal!

ztoical wrote:
    My copy of Flight Volume Four arrived this morning...........

I'd forgotten to pick up Flight 3 so might pick up both volumes sometime soon. God knows Other Realms are managing to avoid stocking anything I might want to buy at the moment...:mad:

I've not read much of late, chiefly because there's not much available in Other Realms.

I've picked up Maggie The Mechanic (the new Titan Books reprint) by Los Bros Hernandez, but I'm not hugely enamored by it. It's interesting to see how they developed, but it doesn't quite have the magnetism that Heartbreak Soup does. Ah well.

Also picked up Marshall Law : Blood, Sweat And Fears, essentially on the basis that Kevin O'Neill did the artwork. Surprisingly enjoyable, that - although I can see how it would get old if you were to read too much of it. As it stands, though, it was a pleasantly savage pisstake of everything that bores me about mainstream superhero comics.

I've also *cough* "read" Black Summer #1 and Doktor Sleepless #1, and am waiting for the opportunity to buy both of them as they're both damn good. Then again, I'm practically a Warren Ellis fanboy so that should be no surprise.

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

Black Summer and Doktor Sleepless are great. Did you have a look at Crecy?

If his talk from SDCC made it up on youtube it's worth a watch. Had the crowd in stiches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭spooydermot

Draco wrote:
    Black Summer and Doktor Sleepless are great. Did you have a look at Crecy?

If his talk from SDCC made it up on youtube it's worth a watch. Had the crowd in stiches.

Doktor Sleepless looks like it could be up to standard with Transmet. I know thats high praise for a first issue, but I really do get the feeling that theres an in-depth world being created in this story, and that was one of the things that made Transmet great.

Black Summer didn't really grab me that much....

I was in forbidden planet there doing my weekly shop and just couldn't bring myself to pick up Amazing Spiderman or Wolverine - the Marvel logo has just become a symbol of blandness to me (with the exception of X-Factor)

Is Crecy the stand alone graphic novel? any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

Recently visited Sub-City and Forbidden Planet, and picked up Hellboy: Darkness Calls issue 4, Everything Can Be Beaten, Legend of Mother Sarah issue 6, Hipira, Akira vol. 6, and Tezuka's Metropolis.
    Currently reading Metropolis, which is really entertaining stuff if you've seen the anime.

God damn you Fysh, I had been on a graphic novel hiatus(saving money for holiday) since spending a few hundred on Y:The Last Man, Punisher, Walking Dead, but your mentioning of Black Summer/Doktor Sleepless/Ellis has destroyed my will power. They sound so good !!!

Am off to town tomorrow to satisfy my blood lust once again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭MarkHall

Went in to the 3rd place with plans on picking up Nexwave Vol 2. Ended up picking up Vol 3 of the Punisher as well. Hell of a Max title. A nice change of pace as the punisher takes on Slavers and Corporate folks.Very nice art bringing out the real grittyness of the Punishers marvel universe.

Nextwave is great too. The book reads like a rollarcoaster feels.Possibly the best of the new marvel books.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭Davedubh

Judge Dredd case files 1.I remember one of the stories in it though i would have been 4 at the time.My brother used to get the weekly comics then and would usually get roy of the rovers but would occasionaly get 2000ad.

Advertisement