Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What comic are you reading at the moment.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭galactus

Davedubh wrote:
    Judge Dredd case files 1.I remember one of the stories in it though i would have been 4 at the time.My brother used to get the weekly comics then and would usually get roy of the rovers but would occasionaly get 2000ad.

Classics!

Was leafing through some old 2000ADs the other day. Unfortunately most of the very early ones have not survived :(

Did come across a yellowed copy of Prog 71 which, thanks to McDonalds legal team, isn't reprintable: see Banned in Britain (scrool down for scans of the progs themselves).

"Everything at McDonalds is disposable! Including the staff!"
    (allegedly).

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

Is Crecy the stand alone graphic novel? any good?
    It is an enjoyed it immensely. It's a history lesson wrapped up in swearing and humour.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Wow, it's been a while since I picked up any new comics. I've finally finished Safe Area Gorazde, which proved to be a good if harrowing read in a similar vein to the likes of Maus.

I've also picked up Maggie The Mechanic (from Titan Books), after having found Heartbreak Soup to be fantastic. And...it's good, but suffers a bit from being less good than Heartbreak Soup. Interesting nonetheless.

Other than that, still no sign of the recent Ellis stuff in Other Realms and their supplier seems to be about a month or so behind, well, the rest of the world. I finally got to read Y: The Last Man volume 9 which, well, was very interesting and made up for the lack of plot development in Volume 8 but also presented science of a hilariously hand-wavey nature, which undermines the series a bit but not much. There are enough nice touches and one-liners from Yorick & co to keep me happy though (especially the scene where Yorick asks Alison to smile, but instead she bursts into tears, then rails about how miserable her life has been since she met Yorick :D).

Also picked up the first two books of Fables, on the basis that I want to pick re-read volumes 1-8 again and then decide whether I'm sticking with it or not, before I pick up 1001 Nights Of Snowfall or Sons Of Empire. (From the solicitation text it sounds like Sons Of Empire may contain enough plot development to keep me on board the series, but the announcement that there will be another spinoff series launched next year disheartens me - this series is enjoyable but without an end point in sight will just drift off into nonsense).

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭the Shades

You know Fysh, I'm pretty certain the 3rd place do a mail order service if you were looking for something more... reliable ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

At the moment I'm reading Essential X-men, Astonishing spider-man, Marvel legends, Mighty world of Marvel and House of M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭MarkHall

the Shades wrote:
    You know Fysh, I'm pretty certain the 3rd place do a mail order service if you were looking for something more... reliable ;)

They do. And tend to be fairly decent at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

the Shades wrote:

So do FP, and subcity prob does as well but if your going to do that you might as well buy online even with postage it works out cheaper [hurah for media mail] .........but its not the same as going into a comic store and picking stuff up. I don't even like getting stores to keep stuff behdind the counter for me, even if it means I miss an issue. i really like spending ages going through everything, plus I'm such a bad impluse buyer, i will just grab stuff cus "oooo pretty". I know I end up spending alot more money cus of that but I look forward to shopping for comics. I will spend around 10 mins buying clothes but an hour shopping for comics.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I'm with Cliodhna on this one - I know that I've missed out on stuff by not just having a box behind the counter in Other Realms or going in with Diamond order codes for everything I might want to pick up, but I do enjoy the whole browsing thing, rooting through everything on the shelf to see if I find anything I'm interested in. Hell, I keep finding myself wandering round second hand bookstores these days when I get free time.

The thing about mail-order services for shops is, I don't read monthly stuff. At best I'll buy the monthly issues of six- or eight-issue miniseries. But even at that, I prefer to wait for the trade. So mail-order services would effectively be no different than going on a spending binge on one of the online services.

That being said, between my recent purchase of a 1Tb external hard drive and my sorting of a bunch of my floppy comics to see what I wanted to get rid of, I'm getting increasingly annoyed with the non-existence of a legit digital comics distribution network. I'd happily pay a euro or whatever for a digital copy of a whole bunch of monthly comics that I might never otherwise check out. (Plus, this would get around the whole problem of print run size limitations for indie ventures...). But anyway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭spooydermot

Draco wrote:
    It is an enjoyed it immensely. It's a history lesson wrapped up in swearing and humour.

ah! just like history class in school then...but without the humor..ah the memories....:eek:

reading vol 1 of Tank Girl at the moment, I remember leafing through a friends copy years and years ago. I have to say it stands up quite well for sheer madcapness (it's a word!) and theres something about the art in that book that really appeals to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Having finished The Authority, I feel disappointed in Volumes 2 & 3. Good stuff for the most part but just not up to the same (ridiculous) standard of the first volume.

• Advertisement

Undergod wrote:
    Having finished The Authority, I feel disappointed in Volumes 2 & 3. Good stuff for the most part but just not up to the same (ridiculous) standard of the first volume.

Was volume 2 where it moved on from Ellis writing to Millar? With that odd Jack Kirby tribute story that wasn't actually particularly good once you got over the whole "ZOMG Jack Kirby tribute!" aspect?

The only problem with Millar's run was the big gap in the middle when Quitely pissed off to be the sometime artist on Morrison's X-men. Had he stuck around and finished it the whole thing would have seemed a lot better. Kind of like his run on X-men, when he was there it was great when he was absent it was a Kordey scrawled mess.

Fysh wrote:
    Was volume 2 where it moved on from Ellis writing to Millar?
    I think so. There was a lot of editorial interference as well if I remember correctly.

Draco wrote:
    I think so. There was a lot of editorial interference as well if I remember correctly.

Millar seemed to generally suffer censorship according to this Wikipedia page, including DC proving its editorial stance of "Gay superheroes? Yeah, lesbians rock, huh? Wait a second, whaddaya mean, gay male superheroes? Not friggin' likely!". *sigh*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Just finished "The Dark Knight returns" yesterday, and just started "Year One" today. Batman overdose!

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭galactus

Am catching up with recent-ish Marvels, so last comic was Avengers Disassembled (yes all of them). Didn't rock my world apart from the Thor episodes.

Not a comic but just finished Stan Lee's autobiography (arrived 9.30 this morning in the post). I can't remember the last time I read a book cover to cover in once sitting. Highly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

galactus wrote:
    Am catching up with recent-ish Marvels, so last comic was Avengers Disassembled (yes all of them). Didn't rock my world apart from the Thor episodes.

Not a comic but just finished Stan Lee's autobiography (arrived 9.30 this morning in the post). I can't remember the last time I read a book cover to cover in once sitting. Highly recommended.

check out the avengers civil war stuff. surprisingly good. particularly the luke cage issue (the civil war tie in is in six different parts did by different artists focusing on seperate team members) which got me as i dont really like the character.

i got the rise and fall of the shiar empire about a week ago off play . com (ive ordered newuniversal and the latest new avengers trade as well but the bloody things seem to have got lost in the post :( ). the hardbacks slightly bigger than the usual size comic and gives a nice look to the art. im not too pushed on the fill in guy but billy tans work, while being classic top cow, is nice enough and he draws a good warpath (god i miss x force. i know i know hardly high art but it was dynamic fun in its day!)
    the story's pretty good but seems a bit drawn out. they really couldve got it done in 8 issues max. ill be honest im not fond of havok/polaris/rachel as characters but seeing as i read deadly genesis i thought i'd get this and it is fun to get back out into space again with an x team.

its an ok book. not brilliant but ok. TBH it makes me glad i didnt invest in it as single issues as its not worth the extra expense and it doesnt really wrap it up all that good.

still ive read worse :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7 5x5

Seems most people round here wait for the trade, any of you guys read monthly?

Just finished last weeks batch including the 3rd last issue of Y:TLM!

I almost cried...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Steven

5x5 wrote:

I almost cried...

I follow a few monthlies, Y numbers amongst them. I fought hard to hold back the manly tears. Also reading Immortal Iron Fist, Fables and Green Arrow: Year One.

Just finished reading Ultimates 1 and 2, Ultimate Iron Man, Ultimate Daredevil and Elektra and Ultimate Elektra (All in the one day. I need another hobby). There's some good stuff in there but it's wildly inconsistent. However I thought the generally unfavourable reviews of the Daredevil books were unwarranted.

picked up issue 1 of the umbrella Academy. Wasn't expecting too much, mainly picked it up for the art [namely the james jean cover] but though the story was going to be uber emo'd out as its written by Geard Way, the lead singer of My Chemical Romance. Have to say I was very suprised - its the first floppy I've picked up in ages that when I finished it I couldn't wait to read issue 2.

Trade wise picked up Robot Dreams by Sara Varon. Really lovely book, simple but strong storytelling.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭spooydermot

5x5 wrote:

I almost cried...

given up on a lot of monthlies, just too expensive.
    anyone know if the last trade of Y will be out by the end of the year?

read the last issue of Strange Girl, some nice touches but a bit of a feeling that parts it were rushed and 'too easy'
    the conversation with God
    - also the art work seems to have seriously degraded in this issue.

Fables book 1&2 , really enjoyed these and looking forward to the rest

Transformers Devastation #1 - too short, but good cliffhanger. Was fortunate enough to be in Belfast a while back and got to see the exhibition of Nick Roches work, really nice stuff.

Buffy Season 8 #7 - no it's good really!:D Brian K.Vaughan is writing it. Also loving the painted covers on each issue

Doctor Sleepless #2 - great follow-up to the first issue, I really hope this carries on for a while

read The Vinyl Underground #1 from Vertigo and have already decided to pick it up as an ongoing. Really strong first issue and some gorgeous art which is like Steve Yeowell (spelling?) and Philip Bond mixed together! Great stuff.

ztoical wrote:
    picked up issue 1 of the umbrella Academy. Wasn't expecting too much, mainly picked it up for the art [namely the james jean cover] but though the story was going to be uber emo'd out as its written by Geard Way, the lead singer of My Chemical Romance. Have to say I was very suprised - its the first floppy I've picked up in ages that when I finished it I couldn't wait to read issue 2.
    I'd not have picked it up if I'd know about the emo connection - I'd seen it described somewhere as being a hellboy/steampunk type thing and that piqued my interest. Definitely looking forward to the next issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 bryan philips

Picked up # 1 of The Umbrella Academy. Have to admit I'm not much of a Gerard Way fan but I though this was a good first attempt. Looking forward to # 2

Picked up # 1 of The Umbrella Academy. Have to admit I'm not much of a Gerard Way fan but I though this was a good first attempt. Looking forward to # 2

its not really a first attempt in that he did study comics at the school of visual arts in new york and was working in comics up to 9/11 After the attacks he decided to focus on music. I just thought the comic would be like the music my chemical romance puts out which wouldnt be a sound I'm that into.

Well, I hadn't posted in this thread for a while but I can see myself posting a hell of a lot more in the coming months, now that I have easy access to proper comic shops again!

Recent purchases have included:

Iron Man : Hypervelocity
    A damn fine read, this. My decision to wait for the trade paid off, as it so often does. I've whinged elsewhere about my views on what they've done with Stark and Iron Man in the main Marvel Universe, but this works really neatly as a standalone story. Heck, they even worked out the plot so that it fits into mainstream continuity. But the best thing about this story? It starts off with one of Tony's test armours becoming conscious, only it's handled by a writer who knows what he's doing (ie unlike Joe Q). The writing in here is great, and deals with a Ghost In The Shell haunting Tony Stark 2.0 while the Technological Singularity hangs over everyone's head. This may well become my all-time favourite Iron Man story.

Crecy

It's Warren Ellis writing a cranky Medieval character talking about fighting the French. So yes, it's pretty much guaranteed to be awesome. I'd heard a lot of talk about this before picking it up and had figured it to be the offshoot of Ellis's desire (as stated in his mailing list) to do a Robin Hood type story a while back. I wasn't convinced it would make a decent, and the first few pages didn't quite draw me in. And then, I'm not sure exactly how, I found myself entranced and looking at the last page thinking "I want to read this again". As someone else said, it's a brilliant 48 page history lesson with swearing and jokes. Most definitely recommended.

Flight Volume 3

Long overdue but worth the wait, I feel. I've loved both the previous volumes so this volume didn't disappoint. Was interested to see that Becky Cloonan's contribution was like a shorter, better version of 300 with Vikings :D I'll be picking up volume 4 shortly too.

There's a ton of other stuff I want to pick up as well as the above (about 3-4 volumes of Hellblazer, another volume of Fables, another couple of Love & Rockets books, the IDW trades of Fallen Angel, and plenty more) but in the interest of not just handing over all my money to a comic shop, I'm trying to behave and keep my spending to a moderate level...

Fysh wrote:

another couple of Love & Rockets books,

just saw theres an Hernandez Q+A at SPX this weekend - want me to see if i can pick you up any signed love and rockets stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

I'm always out on the hunt for something more to read (huh, who isn't!) But I am finding it harder and harder to find the type I like though. If I tell you the titles I liked can you help me find more?

Chosen

Sleeper
    Preacher (only read this recently when a friend gave me the complete collection!)
    The Walking Dead

I don't mind super powers but not Superheroes ála Superman / Spider-man / Hulk
    No On going series - I prefer one shots or short series 1 - 9 issues! Just so I can get a good dose without having to wait for a weekly installment.

What I usually dois attack the back issues place in FP in a comic roulette kind of way and if I find one I like then I hunt everywhere for the rest of the series! So...any suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Transmetropolitan
    Hellblazer
    Fables

Im sure theres loads more people will recommend

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭RobbieMc

2000AD is my current read, just been flicking through my collection and I can't believe I've got so many.:rolleyes:
    I pulled out two graphic novels Dead man and Judge Dredd Case files.

Rob

Advertisement