Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What comic are you reading at the moment.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Fysh wrote: »
    Out of interest, did you go for the hardcover or softcover Civil War collection LZ5by5?

Sorry Fysh for some reason I didn't catch this before. It was the softcover collection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 afaphoenix

simu wrote: »
    I thought it would be cool to do a thread where people post about what comic they're reading at the moment, what it's about and how they find it. Plus, it would give people a chance to find out about new comics they might enjoy.
    So, here goes:

I'm reading the first collected volume of Kabuki - it's called "Circle of Blood" - by David Mack. It's about a woman called Kabuki who works as a secret agent fot the Noh, an covert organisation that tries to keep a balance between criminal gangs and the world of politics in a Japan of the future. I'm about half-way through and I'm really enjoying it so far. The art work is cool, it's black and white, really detailed and is a kind of fusion between traditional Japanese drawing and a futuristic cyberpunk style. The story is cool as well - interesting characters with strange pasts, scheming and intrigue, lots of action and twists and a sort of sci-fi tone.

I am reading Matchmen at the moment and have all old editions of Marvel comics. When did you start reading comics as an adult I mean
    A

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭smokingman

Just finished Preacher again, god damn I love that series!
    Best....comic....ever...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I'm in the process of re-reading 100 Bullets all in one go, up to Strychnine Lives so far and it's impressive how well everything is falling into place. Risso's artwork is delightful stuff as well.

Other stuff I've read recently includes:
    Grotesque #3 - brilliant, surreal, claustrophobic and imaginative. More please.
    Ignition City #4 - pretty good, though structurally a bit rigid in terms of setting up a mystery for the last issue to reveal. Fun stuff but I'm not sure how well this justifies its price tag.
    How To Date A Girl In 10 Days - I picked this up based on a few preview pages I saw somewhere; it's a small press comic with lovely art (yay!) and a semi-autobiographical story about getting together with a girl (oh noes!). The story isn't up to much, but what there is of it is told deftly, with some well-handled bits of metatext and a range of storytelling approaches. Enjoyable, even if it does smack a bit of self-indulgent stories about chasing girls.
    There's No Time Like The Present #1-6 - Offbeat but fun small press series about a group of friends living in a world where time-travel junction technology has arrived and enabled time-travelling tourists to visit the past. There's another half a dozen issues to go yet, and I'll be picking them up as soon as I can.
    Flight Volume 6 - As with the last couple of Flight volumes, I'm starting to tire of this series. Sure, it's jam packed with gorgeous-looking stories, but none of them stand out. There's Yet Another Story About A Fox That Has Magical Adventures that represents the entire series - by this stage I feel like I'm reading the same bloody story over and over, which is never a good thing. I know it's an artist showcase anthology, but to my mind a lot of the comics in this volume suffer from what I think of as the Image problem - the nicest art in the world won't save a comic with a crap story. The aforementioned fox story goes on for aaaaaaaaaaaaages, when it should be about 10 pages max. As a result, I only want to read one more story with that fox in it, preferably involving a farmer, a shotgun, and a very bloody ending. Kazu Kibuishi's Daisy Kutter story in this was a welcome exception to the general pattern, but at this stage I won't be picking up another volume of the series unless it's a significant step up in actual storytelling.
    Lucha Libre: Volume 1 - ridiculous action/comedy stories featuring a team of luchadores who attempt to defend LA from evildoers. It's like someone tried to turn the Jack Black Nacho Libre film into a superhero comic, only more entertaining. Definitely worth reading.
    Zombies That Ate The World #4 - continuing the farcical zombie-chasing adventures, this is great. I'm beginning to suspect I should've just waited for the collected edition though.
    Phonogram #4 - yet more greatness, and a textbook example of how to publish a 32-page comic that delivers value for money.

There's more, but I can't remember them offhand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

I'm reading Sco Pilgrim's Precious Little Life! ^^

jesus. it's good!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Sesudra

I picked up the Omnibus Edition of Alan Moore and Alan Davis on Captain Britain-great stuff!A little dated in spots(it is from the 80s after all) but some great little stories in there,and its great to finally see the Psylocke-as-Captain-Britain story,which I'd heard about but never read

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Elevelyn

I just started reading Trechery (the third graphic novel of the Dark Tower Series by Stephen King) artwork is amazing and so is the story

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

Just re-read 100 Bullets Vol 13 for the second time and it reads just as good the second time around. My only criticism is that
    when Remy kills Wylie in an earlier Volume Cole tells Ronnie he is going to kill Remy in revenge but this never comes about.
    ....only a small thing but something I was looking forward to. Now I'm gonna do what Fysh is doing and go back to the begining and read through again.

Also read "Classic What If? Vol 1"....I was a huge fan of the 90's What If series so picked this up while on holiday a while back. While it does offer up one or two good initial ideas it fails to capitalize on them and suffers from writing that has not aged well. Both of these combined actually make it an effort to get through the stories...however I also have the second volume so will be hoping it picks up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭2040

Just finished 100 Bullets: Wilt last night aswell (
    Cole Burns - haha, i get it!
    ). Tied up nicely, although i'm sure alot probably went over my head, because i left big gaps between volumes. I'll have to start from scratch again i'd say. My favourite volume was probably the counterfifth detective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Trail_Blazer

I'm catching up on Amazing Spider-Man here lately. Reading the "American Son" story arch, leading up to issue #600.

I've already read #600, and loved it. I stopped reading Spidey for a few years, but #600 brought me back for another go-around. Hopefully it lasts this time!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Xabs

Just finished Loeb/Sale's Daredevil: Yellow
    Verdict = Meh for the script. Yeh for the art.

Re-reading The Long Halloween now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Bozzy

my mate lent me his ultimates comics, the spiderman, x-men and iron man ones, can anyone recommend something to move onto now, something kinda similar to those? or even anything that bendis has done before spiderman??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭jasonbourme.cs

finished the long halloween recently , was excellent

also read hush and hush returns definitely worth a read :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭MarkHall

Bozzy wrote: »
    my mate lent me his ultimates comics, the spiderman, x-men and iron man ones, can anyone recommend something to move onto now, something kinda similar to those? or even anything that bendis has done before spiderman??

Aside from the Ulitmates (The avengers in that setting.)
    If you are wanting fresh tales where you don't have to worry too much about past continutiy. The I'd advise you hit DC's All Star Superman and All Star Batman as similar types of story telling.

If your just looking for enjoyable stories then there's lots to choose from.
    Invincable has a good run of 9 trades and is very enjoyable addition to the superhero style stories.

I have recently just read 1 to 10 of the Fables. It never attracted me in Floppy form but after borrowing book 1&2 form the Libary I was hooked.

Also Captain Britian and MI13 book 2 is a whole heap of fun. Shame there's not a lot of it left. But still well worth picking up. Can't wait to see what the creative team do with Dark X men.

Maximum Dinobots.
    A Soild Furman story about everyones favourite Dinosaurs that just happen to turn into robots. Actually had missed the last of these in Floppy form so way nice to finish the story.
    Nicks art is great throughout the book. And the chap who fills in for him does a nice Job with the Designs. The story suffers a little with Furman trying to tie up loose ends before handing over to the Mess that appears to be All Hail megatron. But is still enjoyable. Plus you get to see HotRod get Beaten sensless which is always a plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭MarkHall

I'm reading Sco Pilgrim's Precious Little Life! ^^

jesus. it's good!

I really enjoyed the first one. I do think it speaks very loudly to folks who lived through a certain time period.And Verve towards a certain aspect of life. And I think that's why book one grabbed so many of us when we first read it.
    Let's know when you get finished on book two.
    Sesudra wrote: »
    I picked up the Omnibus Edition of Alan Moore and Alan Davis on Captain Britain-great stuff!A little dated in spots(it is from the 80s after all) but some great little stories in there,and its great to finally see the Psylocke-as-Captain-Britain story,which I'd heard about but never read
    Those Omnibus are pretty sweet. And they do collect some great tales.
    Waiting on them to do other Marvel UK books in the same form. I want to know if Dragon claws was as much fun as I remember. Cause Deaths head definitly was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Bozzy

MarkHall wrote: »
    Aside from the Ulitmates (The avengers in that setting.)
    If you are wanting fresh tales where you don't have to worry too much about past continutiy. The I'd advise you hit DC's All Star Superman and All Star Batman as similar types of story telling.

Thanks a mill, not a big DC fan, but i'll definately check them out all the same!

• Moderators Posts: 51,765 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Just finished the first collection of Scalped. Good read, will definitely be picking up the next book.

And next to read is Doom Patrol vol.2.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 G_Guber

I was in Forbiddan Planet during the week and was browsing the Irish Comic section which I have to say isnt usually the best... But Found a doozy called At Hells Gate.. It's by Alan Nolan (not the sancho one ) If your in town the wkend check it out.. Great story!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭spooydermot

Atomika #8 & 9 - It's been years since this was coming out, and in the intervening time I've picked up the first TPB. It's great to be reading this again, because it's not a massively complex story but it's very well geared towards lush, sprawling artwork.

Was there ever any word on what the massive delay with this title was? I know he moved publishers at one point, but that was before the first batch of issues had finished it's run. In anycase, give me a good opportunity to sit down and read through them again

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭noodlesmcfilthy

I'm reading a ton of books at the moment... few of the best would be Robert Kirkmans "The Walking Dead", Brian Woods "Northlanders", Joe Hills "Locke and Key". They're all great series.. but by far the one at the top of my to read list is "Scalped" by Jason Aaron.

I highly recommend it to anyone who's looking for something new to pick up and the first four story arcs are collected in Trades.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

i'm reading a load too!
    I can't decide between Marvel's "Moon Knight: the bottom", which I got a few days ago, or the ones i just got today, IDW's "Transformers: The War Within" (yeah, I know it was a dreamwave first), or Marvel's "Civil War"

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Was there ever any word on what the massive delay with this title was? I know he moved publishers at one point, but that was before the first batch of issues had finished it's run. In anycase, give me a good opportunity to sit down and read through them again

I don't think so, I'd emailed Sal Abbinanti to ask if it was ever getting back on track a while ago and he replied saying it was all back on track but didn't say why it ground to a halt when it did. I picked up issue 10 recently too, so I look forward to finishing the series.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

JLA Rock of Ages & Crisis of infinite earths
    recently read the sinestro corps war & a lot of the preluede to blackest night. still have to get my hands on #'s 1 & 2, 3 was out today i think. loving green lantern comics atm :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭spooydermot

I picked up issue 10 recently too, so I look forward to finishing the series.

10th issue out already? Cool - I must pick that up, nothing for ages then 3 issues at once! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭Ridley

Finished Spider-Man & Human Torch and currently alternating between Messiah CompleX and Geoff Johns' Green Lantern TPBs.

Tend to avoid DC super heroes as they're so convoluted and even the stupidest Marvel characters bar Batman have better personalities but decided to give Hal Jordan a shot after reading the Blackest Night FCBD issue.

Quite like Rebirth and No Fear but they do tend to celebrate all the things I don't like about DC, though Johns seems to have done away from some of the more over the top elements which I wouldn't have known about if it wasn't for the introduction. Certainly makes space more interesting than Marvel but what are the limits of that power ring? It translates (okay), fires lasers (alright), reads DNA (erm) and... can create a fully human avatar able to steer a ship.

There's even a panel where Jordan is standing right in front of a downed Hector Hammond and the ring emits a hand that curls back over on itself to lift the guy's eyelid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Not quite a comic but I'm reading Bram Stoker's Dracula illustrated by Ben Templesmith. I'm a bit disappointed really, the art is few and far between (one page per chapter) and it's not even that impressive. For example, his art for Dracula "in old age" is not even accurate, he has basically depicted him as
    Count Orlok. I never imagined the Dracula as Count Orlok when reading the novel tbh!

Ridley wrote: »
    Tend to avoid DC super heroes as they're so convoluted and even the stupidest Marvel characters bar Batman have better personalities but decided to give Hal Jordan a shot after reading the Blackest Night FCBD issue.

I'm The Same when it comes to the DC universe... find it very hard to find a Jump on point that doesn't seem so inaccessible. I really enjoy all their out of continuity series.. like All Star Superman and the like, but have yet to find an ongoing series outside of their Vertigo line that I can enjoy. That includes numerous attempts at Johns Green Lantern run...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭Ridley

I'm The Same when it comes to the DC universe... find it very hard to find a Jump on point that doesn't seem so inaccessible. I really enjoy all their out of continuity series.. like All Star Superman and the like, but have yet to find an ongoing series outside of their Vertigo line that I can enjoy. That includes numerous attempts at Johns Green Lantern run...

Starting with Rebirth is the best shot at that from what I can tell. Till you hit the Final Crisis aftermath anyway. :rolleyes: Was going to just try that First Flight DVD originally but got put off when lurking on here and Amazon that they skimmed past the origin.

Is All Star Superman any less powerful/more vulnerable than the main line one? My advisor on these matters directs me away from anything by Grant Morrison. :pac:

Ridley wrote: »
    Is All Star Superman any less powerful/more vulnerable than the main line one? My advisor on these matters directs me away from anything by Grant Morrison. :pac:

Actually it's the exact opposite... All Star Superman is Superman at his most powerful/least vulnerable but the concept of the 12 part series is basically, what exactly that power does to the character. For the most part I hate reading Grant Morrison, I find his writing for the most to be completely void of character and too focused on existential conundrums and the like. But I did really enjoy this series...

I also like what I've read so far of his new Batman and Robin series. In both cases he seems to take himself a little less seriously...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Sesudra

Bought the collected edition of "The Marquis" by Guy Davis today.had heard about it before but never read it,so gave it a go and am loving it thus far!his art work is great,and he has some seriously messed up designs for the demons in the story.

Advertisement