Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What comic are you reading at the moment.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Ridley wrote: »
    Aliens Omnibus 4
    i was thinking of picking up the first few Aliens books...would you recommend them?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭Ridley

i was thinking of picking up the first few Aliens books...would you recommend them?

I'd suggest Aliens 1 (as long as you keep in mind that "Billie" and "Wilks" should be Newt and Hicks) and AVP 1 first rather than of buying 1 - 6 together blind like I did because after those two the stories go all over the place. The short Mondo tales in vol 4 with the guy shrugging off a chopped off hand is not what I want from Aliens. ;)

But Nightmare Asylum and AVP: Eternal are good.

Oh and I read Penny Arcade 2-5 since my last post.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

preacher1.jpg

I bought this today and I'm hooked on it. Really enjoying it at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

Ridley wrote: »
    I'd suggest Aliens 1 (as long as you keep in mind that "Billie" and "Wilks" should be Newt and Hicks) and AVP 1 first rather than of buying 1 - 6 together blind like I did because after those two the stories go all over the place. The short Mondo tales in vol 4 with the guy shrugging off a chopped off hand is not what I want from Aliens. ;)

But Nightmare Asylum and AVP: Eternal are good.

Oh and I read Penny Arcade 2-5 since my last post.

I read all five Aliens Omnibus books. I thought they were kinda weak tbh, would you recommend the AVP ones over the Aliens ones?

Funglegunk wrote: »
    I read all five Aliens Omnibus books. I thought they were kinda weak tbh, would you recommend the AVP ones over the Aliens ones?

They're not all that different though I think AVP: Eternal should have been a movie. And still could with Requiem's ending (but it won't).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I can't remember when I last posted up what I've read recently so it's probably been a while. Interestingly I've been reading through a good few webcomic print collections recently, while at the same time finding myself a bit bored of most comics on the shelves at the minute.

Cyanide & Happiness: I'm Giving You The Finger

I've loved C&H for a good while so I was delighted to find out that they finally put out a book. It's pretty good - a decent selection of strips and 30 new strips to boot.

XKCD Volume 0

As with Cyanide & Happiness I follow XKCD regularly and so getting the book has been long overdue. The alt-text gags from the comics are included, as are numerous margin doodles with anything from comments on the comics to obscurely-encoded additional gags (eg on the Mario Kart Double Dash strip there are QR codes which translate as his best times for given tracks). Well worth picking up, though given the shipping costs you might as well get other merch at the same time. I expected this to take ages to arrive but it was quite fast - seems they have some crowd up in Northern Ireland who look after some orders around these parts.

Simon's Cat

I'm part of the way through this and can't make my mind up. On the one hand some of the strips are very good, but on the other hand I keep finding myself thinking I'd rather be watching the cartoons. Worth having, though.

Doug Tennapel's Iron West

I picked this up on sale in my local shop pretty much on the basis that I remembered loving Tennapel's contribution to Flight volume 2 (it had a very Calvin & Hobbes sort of vibe, as I recall). This has nothing to do with that strip, though there's a certain whimsy throughout which is similar. A couple of moments feel a bit "out there for the sake of it", but for the most part it's a decent sci-fi/western mashup, and even the couple of moments when it doesn't quite work have a distinct personality to them that I find lacking in too many comics.

Criminal: The Sinners #3

It's more Criminal, and it's great. Pretty much all there is to say.

Chew Volume 1: Taster's Choice

Chew has been one of the "little comics that could" in 2009 - a relatively small independent thing that suddenly got nothing but great reviews. I can see why, reading this - it's great. Each issue has a decent amount of entertainment in it, the writing isn't dense but it's not sparse either - there's an ongoing format issue with the first page being a standalone gag that also serves as an introduction. I don't think I'd want to pick it up monthly because I'm going off monthly comics at the minute (or at least monthly comics where I know there are plans to collect them later) but this is definitely one to check out. Great writing, great art, and an intriguing premise.

Other stuff: Phonogram #6 (Further awesomeness as expected), Supergod #2 (as with #1 it's interesting but feels a bit leaden), Zombies That Ate The World #7 (entertaining, funny, and always a bit wrong in the brain), Scalped Volume 4 (not read yet), I Am Legion #6 (not read yet, because tbh after trying to read #3 without refreshing on previous issues I realised the whole thing needs to be read in one go, so I'm waiting to have time for it).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Dr. Baltar

I'm reading Calvin and Hobbes - the entire collection :cool: - from start to finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

n10924.jpg

I've only just started it but so far so good. I finished the first one and I couldn't wait to get the second one but couldn't get into town for ages because of the stupid snow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭livingtargets

Just started reading Preacher today.I`ve always walked by the paperbacks in the comic shops but haven`t bought any for various reasons(AKA being broke),but I had a few dolla dolla bills saved up and it was 25% off so I took the plunge.Genius stuff so far.

Also snapped up Peculia by Richard Sala for a few bob upstairs in Chapters,which was a nice find.I love Sala`s stuff and this is Sala through and through.Weird villains and purty wimmen aplenty.A fair lashing of the aul nipples as well.Could hardly turn the page without being poked in the eye by someones` nips.No compaints here,though.Am I right,men?

Bought 2000AD Prog 1666 and 1667,as wellfor the fantastic D`Israeli art in Stickleback.The rest was a bit mweh with the exception of John Burns` art on Nikolai Dante.The art in ABC Warriors is so mechanical and lifeless that I couldn`t even be bothered to read more than a page.

I also chanced upon an absolute gem in alittle second hand shop near Tower Records.Saxon:The Astral Adventures of Rocco Vargos Vol.3 by Daniel Torres.Torres is a fantastic storyteller and his cartooning style is a brilliant mix of Herge and Mike Allred with a little Moebius.This is part three in a series of slim(56 pages)graphic novels,so I didn`t fully "get" the story at first seeing as how this is the first I`ve read,but it`s easy enough to piece it together.
    And I won`t spoil it but the last page is a masterclass in effective comic book storytelling.Well worth the €4 pricetag,methinks!

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

My, it's been a while since I posted to this thread.
    Bought 2000AD Prog 1666 and 1667,as wellfor the fantastic D`Israeli art in Stickleback.The rest was a bit mweh with the exception of John Burns` art on Nikolai Dante.The art in ABC Warriors is so mechanical and lifeless that I couldn`t even be bothered to read more than a page.
    Clint Langley's art just leaves me cold. Add that to another Pat Mills preach-a-thon and there's a distinct lack of interest in the story.

Anyway, the stand out item last week was The Walking Dead Vol. 11: Fear The Hunters. Probably the strongest collection in a while. From the justification for the other group's actions to Carl's actions it just gripped me completely. Crossed seems very pale in comparion.

• Advertisement

New Exiles vol 4
    Fantastic Four: Master of Doom

Not read enough clearly. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 BaelNaMblath

My friend just gave me preacher and I'm really excited to start.

• Moderators Posts: 51,765 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Picked up chew. Premise of the comic looks promising.

Chew_01.jpg
    From play.com

Tony Chu is a detective with a secret. A weird secret. Tony Chu is Cibopathic, which means he gets psychic impressions from whatever he eats. It also means he's a hell of a detective, as long as he doesn't mind nibbling on the corpse of a murder victim to figure out whodunit, and why. He's been brought on by the Special Crimes Division of the FDA, the most powerful law enforcement agency on the planet, to investigate their strangest, sickest, and most bizarre cases.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I really enjoyed the first volume of Chew and will be picking up the next one as soon as it's out.

Fysh wrote: »
    I really enjoyed the first volume of Chew and will be picking up the next one as soon as it's out.
    From what I've read of vol.1, it's safe to say I'll be keeping an eye out for the next volume:D

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Chochese

Reading through Greg Rucka's Whiteout: Melt today.

On recomendation from a friend, I'm going to start on 100 Bullets when that's done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

I'm about three issues into Essential Avengers, vol 1, and i gotta say, silver age stuff is kinda crappy. on the plus side, yesterday, I read War Machine: Iron heart, fast paced, political and very good. i was a bit dissapointed when i found out it was cancelled after 12 issues.
    (But i'm a Moon Knight fan, so i'm used to my mags being cancelled on me! :rolleyes: )

(But i'm a Moon Knight fan, so i'm used to my mags being cancelled on me! :rolleyes: )

Hey there, as a Human Torch fan so we should totally be frien-- Moon Knight?!

Death_by_face_melting.jpg

To be fair, I've only read Essential Moon Knight vol 1 and I do like the issues that were were supposed to be black and white to begin with. And he's at least he's not Sub-Mariner or Reed Richards. ;)
    Lee/Kirby's Avengers picks up after
    Captain America joins
    for me. It's one of the better standard of Marvel comics from that time alongside Thor (just ignore the horrible text heavy back-up stories) and Silver Surfer. Though Spider-Man is easily the best them of despite the aged references, dad. And I ain't just whistlin' dixie! As a Spidey clone at the time, Daredevil isn't too bad either.

Plus, if you just want to roll along with the naffness of it all there's Essential Human Torch and Essential Ant-Man. But with that era in general, just marvel at the number of times Jack Kirby provides a panel with a character man - usually a scientist, especially Reed Richards - does that super-cereal pondering face at the 'camera'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 spiderdad

just in the process of reading cap america :winter soldier.preety good never took an interest in the character until they killed him,just goes to show the guys in the suits know what their doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Sleazus

spiderdad wrote: »
    just in the process of reading cap america :winter soldier.preety good never took an interest in the character until they killed him,just goes to show the guys in the suits know what their doing.

Yeah, I liked Brubaker's run. Didn't think it was as mind-numbingly awesome as everyone else did, but it's clever and solid stuff. I actually preferred the series after they killed Cap, but maybe that was because it felt like Civil War just bulldozed over the climax of Brubaker's run.

I'm think of picking up Fraction's Iron Man. Word on the street is good.

• Advertisement

Sleazus wrote: »
    I'm think of picking up Fraction's Iron Man.

So am I. I like Fraction's Punisher and Iron Fist (w/ Brubaker) plus I've had it recommended. I've got Extremis and ideally I want the TPBs in between but that's probably not going to happen so I'm best off just waiting for the Invincible hardcover out in March.

----
    Last read:
    Dark Avengers vol 1
    Thunderbolts: Bringing Down the House - Which Marvel haven't called volume 4 for whatever reason
    X-Factor vol 7 - Pretty bleak
    Madrox and Layla MacGuffin (http://www.floatinghandsstudios.com/houseofm.html) DO NOT WANT
    but it ended with Liefeld's annoyance. :D

Sleazus wrote: »
    I'm think of picking up Fraction's Iron Man. Word on the street is good.

I read the first 7 issues and in itself it's very good - Fraction has a good feel for making Tony Stark interesting, not to mention Ezekiel Stane as his foil (no idea what's been happening with him since that first "Five Nightmares" storyline though). I dropped it because it was getting caught up in Dark Reign and I wasn't interested in having to follow a wider-universe storyline, but the critical reception seems to be pretty good across the board so it's worth checking out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Sleazus

Fysh wrote: »
    I dropped it because it was getting caught up in Dark Reign and I wasn't interested in having to follow a wider-universe storyline, but the critical reception seems to be pretty good across the board so it's worth checking out.

Yeah, given how I was less than pleased with how Civil War messed around with Brubaker's Captain America run, I'm worried about the World's Most Wanted bit (even though reviews seem to suggest it's Marvel's Green Lantern).

Maybe I'll pick up the Fraction omnibus when I complete my Daredevil set in the summer (then I'll have the complete Bendis/Brubaker run, which has my inner nerd delighted - it feels like I never complete a set).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 BaelNaMblath

Just finished Gone to Texas from Preacher. It was awesome, but I cant wait to get to the third book. My friend keeps insisting there's some amazing character that pops up in that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Just finished Volume 9 of Transmetropolitan.
    All hail the chair leg of truth! It is both wise and terrible!

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Lame Lantern

Just read issues 3 and 4 of Cowboy Ninja Viking. Very good stuff indeed. Best thing out of image in a while. If anyone comes across a store in Dublin stocking the first issue please let me know, would be interested in picking it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

I bought the Alien vs. Predator Omnibuses (Omnibusi?) and the first story of the 2nd book is kinda confusing...

BopNiblets wrote: »
    I bought the Alien vs. Predator Omnibuses (Omnibusi?) and the first story of the 2nd book is kinda confusing...

Claremont's Deadliest of the Species, right? That felt like it lasted forever.

Picked up Air vol. 1 + 2 today. Looks like it could be a good series.

200px-Air_1.jpg
    From amazon.com

Ladies and gentlemen, there's been a change in our flight plan. You may have heard of a group called the Etesian Front -- vigilantes dedicated to taking the skies back from terrorism. Sounds like a noble cause, right? But there's more to them than meets the eye. They're after someone I know. Someone who is either an average frequent flier -- or a terrorist. And he's got a secret. Something that will change the way we fly -- and the way we see technology -- forever.

To find him, we've altered course. We're en route to a country that doesn't exist on any maps. Only one person knows how to get us there: me. My name is Blythe, and I'll be your stewardess today. So buckle your seatbelts -- this will be the flight of your life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Lame Lantern

I've been reading the single issues. A bit hit and miss when read that way but on balance very, very solid.

On the subject of vertigo, Grant Morrison's Joe the Barbarian got started last week and was an interesting albeit very quick read.

Advertisement