Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What comic are you reading at the moment.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭noodlesmcfilthy

Actually.. when The Exterminators was cancelled they were given a few issues to wrap things up. So while, things seem a little bit rushed at the end.. you'll be surprised just how little is left unanswered...
    Great series.

Reading The House of Mystery (Vertigo) at the moment... great series, first 3 volumes are out in trade, bizzare little anthology series from the creators of Fables.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

wrapping up volume 1 of JLI now, thinking of moving onto astonishing x-men or the doom patrol (grant morrisson)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 202 ✭✭John 187

Punisher Max #5: Wraping up the Kingpin arc in a brutal way. These has been great so far and hope it stays that way with the start of the next arc Kingpin. My only problem is this is a max book, bloody and violent, but yet the book is filled with ads for Marvel regular books. It's a bit like watching a HBO show and getting ads for glee or cougar town ever 15 mins.

Ultimate Spider Man #8: I only buy this book for my nephew(Honest) but I read it too. For the big re-launch of the book everything seems the same and now Ultimate Spider-Man seems more like regular Spider-Man. Think Bendis should leave this book and give someone else a go. Not bad or anything.

Batman & Robin #10: I been reading since the start and enjoyed it all so far all down side has been the art on some of the story's. But art very well handled here. Not to give to much away but Damien mother tries to make a wedge between Dick and Damien and the serach for Bruce Wyane began's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Sleazus

Finished Fraction's first nineteen issues of Invincible Iron Man. He's great with Stark and I loved Five Nightmares (okay, except maybe the epilogue), but World's Most Wanted just suffered from the same crossover-fatigue which affected Captain America, but it's bloated and padded and lacks focus. Iron Man doesn't have the villains to do a proper run-the-gauntlet-style story (at least not without some solid work put into them), and it just seems all over the place, though I dig Fraction's "regression" theme, harking back to the good old days before comics became overly focused on being dark or gritty with Tony literally returning to the place of Iron Man's birth and with the whole mental regression angle. The character work makes it one I'll probably stick with, but I suspect it will work better once Fraction has more control over the character.

Also finished the first half of Bendis' Daredevil run. Incredible stuff. Just incredible. Probably one of the most consistently entertaining mainstream books produced in the last decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,808 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I'm using the site: http://www.lorencollins.net/freecomic/ to read 1st issues of comics for free (all legit!!) Now I need to get Preacher, Y: The Last Man & 100 bullets. I can't afford all this comics!!! What to do!?

Really liked the last man, what an original story! (so far anyway)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭Ridley

sheehy83 wrote: »
    I'm using the site: http://www.lorencollins.net/freecomic/ to read 1st issues of comics for free (all legit!!) Now I need to get Preacher, Y: The Last Man & 100 bullets. I can't afford all this comics!!! What to do!?

Really liked the last man, what an original story! (so far anyway)

That Dark Horse list is missing a couple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭owlwink

Just about to dip into Sandman Vol.4 :D

Recently read:
    Indiana Jones Further Adventures Omnibus 3
    Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 8 (Destroyer)
    Star Wars: The Clone Wars: The Colossus of Destiny
    Star Wars Adventures: Luke Skywalker and the Treasure of the Dragonsnakes
    - Fun story set during Skywalker's training on Dagobah.
    "Mysterious are the ways of the Force." "Did you just make me stand on my head for two hours because I was annoying you?" "Very mysterious."
    Banya: The Explosive Delivery Man 5
    Green Lantern: Secret Origin - Geoff Johns dedicates a whole TPB to the stuff he's mentioned a billion times already in the run thus far. ;)
    One Piece 23
    One Piece 24
    One Piece 25
    Essential Luke Cage, Power Man 1
    - I'd been reading this on and off for about two years but it was until I starting trying to Aztek: The Ultimate Man that I found the will finish. The pain I'm going through with Aztek reminded me how much I appreciate Marvel's characters being inherently better than most of DC's capes. Main thing that stands out in the book apart from the supsect number of black women who are indistinguishable is that Luke Cage is a murdiddlyurderer. Cage might get cleared of the frame up that put him in prison later on but he very intentionally knocks a guy down from a lethal height and fails to catch him as planned.
    There's a DCesque named town called Security City that's claimed to hold two hundred families when the picture clearly couldn't but there's an issue where Cage is paid to break into Stark Enterprises to 'test' Stark's security systems. The hero for hire concept never seems to get used in general.
    Spider-Man 24/7 -Skipped ahead in my reading of S-M (last read Brand New Day 1) because of the Fantastic Four Human Torch issues and enjoyed it a lot. First couple of pages sum up their personalities/roles quite well though it turns out Sue Richards knows who Frank Frazetta is.
    in a different dimension (take a shot) Spidey and Torch rush off (take a shot) to save a couple they see being attacked, Thing follows while Reed Richards holds back totally because they aren't aware of the place's customs and nothing to do with him being an ass while his wife sticks by him until Richards invites her along (take a shot).
    I may be letting my anti-Reed Richards bias get in the way in summarises that. But not much. ;)
    Turns out in they end they interupted their customs and of course Reed Richards is right from the start (take a shot). Just like that time he screwed Torch/Thing over when they decided to go out on their own (take a shot) to prove they couldn't handle stuff without him.

Anyway the important part is that
    Torch knows Parker is Spider-Man again
    . So do the rest, but it should just be him of the group. They can say Parker's friends with all of them but
    it is just Torch really. Reed and Mrs Richards are Torch's parents in that scenario and Thing's the brother.
    Other stories in there have the return of
    the Spot
    (hooway!) and a new
    Vulture
    . Though it felt like he came out of nowhere and I think he would have been better with a new name since I like the look rockin' an awesome red trenchcoat. ;)

Reread:
    Banya: The Explosive Delivery Man 4 - Didn't realise I'd already read it until I saw a specific panel.
    Indiana Jones and the Arms of Gold

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭MarkHall

owlwink wrote: »
    Just about to dip into Sandman Vol.4 :D
    A most enjoyable Read.

Are you working through the series for the first time or a reread?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭MarkHall

smokedeels wrote: »
    The Exterminators (Vertigo), really enjoying it, although I was initially hesitant about investing time in something that was cancelled, I'm expecting to be left with a lot of unresolved questions.

It does manage to Wrap up most of the outstanding Question.
    A Strange book to be honest. I wasn't sure what to make of the first trade.
    But really enjoyed the overall story it told.

Althou some of the Bug scenes where Horrible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Kick-Ass and up to issue 23 of The Boys. Class.

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

I just finished Scud: The Dispossable Assassin The Whole Shebang this morning. There are some wonderfully demented moments in it but as a whole I don't think it quite works. The last issue in particular I though was very weak with a silly Deus Ex moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

Working my way through 100 Bullets

Just started 6 Feet Under The Gun

I buy one every month as a little payday treat for myself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 offshore coders

Does anybody like Naruto??? I'm big fan of it :X.

Snip

Fysh Sez:
    Sigspamming is naughty. Attempted-but-failed sigspamming is worse. Blatantly-trolling failed sigspamming worst of all. Read the charter and cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭T83

Reading Darwyn Cooke's adaptation of The Hunter at the mo, he's one hell of a story teller not a word of dialogue for at least 15 pages at the beginning.

Last read Fraction and Larroca's Invincible Iron Man Omnibus 1 (#1 - #19) - "Makes Iron Man readable" I think is what was said to me a couple of month's ago. Don't really have much to to judge it against since I've only read Extremis and Essential Iron Man vol 1 and 2.

Suspiciously echoing the movie in places but I liked it just fine. Haven't seen Osborn not be ridiculously entertaining as director of Thunderbolts/SHIELD/HAMMER yet. Don't particularly care for
    Pepper Potts having a suit
    , always good to see
    Sub-Mariner slapped about
    but minor moans with
    Reed Richards' portrayal. As much as I hate on him, the art doesn't particularly look like him
    . Not sure I believe he'd lose either. Stark
    losing his mind was the best thing about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Gothamite

For me, every month it's:

Batman and Robin by Grant Morrison: This series has consistently jumped from being the most awesome fun Batman has been in years to being too completely far-out and Morrisony to make any sense. Nevertheless, I will continue to buy it and sing its praises.

Invincible by Robert Kirkman: In the running for my favourite superhero comic, ever. It's had its ups and its downs and while it sometimes seems that Kirkman is more interested in attracting new readers than he is at rewarding the older ones, it's an absolute must-read.

Superman: Secret Origin by Geoff Johns and Gary Frank: There's been dozens of comics about Superman's origin and this is the newest one. It's probably not quite as good as Mark Waid's Birthright from a few years ago, but it's still very good in most respects and even better in some. Geoff Johns is a master at characterisation.

I also occasionally pick up Panini's Superman and Batman Legends reprint comics as they're handy for reading comics I missed out on when they were first released, and the price they offer is excellent (€5 for three comics).

Comics I'm looking to get into include: Chew, Green Hornet: Year One, Iron Man Legacy (maybe, if it's any good), Adventure Comics and a few others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Picked up Ultimate Avengers (Ultilmates) Part 1 for €13, I heard it's not everyone's cup of tea but it's a premise that has always interested me.

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Picked up Ultimate Avengers (Ultilmates) Part 1 for €13, I heard it's not everyone's cup of tea but it's a premise that has always interested me.

Ultimates vol 1 or Ultimate Comics Avengers vol 1?

Ridley wrote: »
    Ultimates vol 1 or Ultimate Comics Avengers vol 1?

Not sure, it says Super Human Vol 1 though.

• Advertisement

Not sure, it says Super Human Vol 1 though.

That's Ultimates. Best version of Thor too. ;)

(Try to avoid Loeb's version unless you like Joe Madureira's art. :p )

That's Ultimates. Best version of Thor too. ;)

(Try to avoid Loeb's version unless you like Joe Madureira's art. :p )

Sweet, the guy tried to sell me Vol 1 & 2 together but I just said I'd test the waters first. :pac: I am interested in how Thor is portrayed, I reckon that they'll treat Thor as a nutjob in the Avengers film.

Last read Fraction and Larroca's Invincible Iron Man Omnibus 1 (#1 - #19) - "Makes Iron Man readable" I think is what was said to me a couple of month's ago. Don't really have much to to judge it against since I've only read Extremis and Essential Iron Man vol 1 and 2.

Suspiciously echoing the movie in places but I liked it just fine. Haven't seen Osborn not be ridiculously entertaining as director of Thunderbolts/SHIELD/HAMMER yet. Don't particularly care for
    Pepper Potts having a suit
    , always good to see
    Sub-Mariner slapped about
    but minor moans with
    Reed Richards' portrayal. As much as I hate on him, the art doesn't particularly look like him
    . Not sure I believe he'd lose either. Stark
    losing his mind was the best thing about it

just started it yesterday. on Issue two so far and it looks pretty good. finished off Essential Iron man vol 1 a few months back. it's good, bus still, very sixties-ish.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Sweet, the guy tried to sell me Vol 1 & 2 together but I just said I'd test the waters first. :pac: I am interested in how Thor is portrayed, I reckon that they'll treat Thor as a nutjob in the Avengers film.

The portrayal of Thor is a major story element in the second Ultimates series (collected as Gods & Monsters and Grand Theft America). If you enjoy the first series it's definitely worth reading though it does get stupidly propagandist in the second half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Sleazus

Finished Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men. Impressed, but not as in love with it as I was with Grant Morrison's New X-Men.

The Ultimates is great - the most solidly entertaining 'blockbuster' comic of the past decade. Though I didn't really care for The Invincible Iron Man.

Waiting for some Wolverine stuff to arrive next week (and Batman & Robin). The Marvel omnibuses are freakin' sweet, even if I'm not the biggest Clarement fan.

Picked up Homeland Security and Gods & Monsters yesterday, I've only started to read the series today because of Uni work. Observations so far (from the perspective of just about finishing Super-human);

Betty Ross is a biatch.

The Hulk is comical.

Not really digging the Iron Man Suit.

Cap's a bit of a dick.

Not a fan of how Thor is drawn.

All the same I'm enjoying it so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Miguele1

Old HULK comics... awesome stuff :D

One Piece 26
    Deadpool: Dark Reign - More crazy Osborn. Turns out I read Thunderbolts, Deadpool and Dark Reign: Deadpool/Thunderbolts in completely the wrong order.
    Captain Britain and MI:13 vol 1 (Secret Invasion)- Largely meh. Got it because I wanted to find out what the Captain America analog was presented as. Felt detached rest of the Marvel Universe - ie America - for might tastes. The Skrulls want magic for their invasion so they attack the source, Avalon. Which Britain is the gateway to. I may be misinterpreting but the interview in the back asks Cornell what attracts him to British superheroes and he responds "availabilty" but you get things like:
    "When Captain America died, Americans heard it in an American way: Through the media. When CAPTAIN BRITAIN died, the British felt it in their chests."
    Blech. Needs more Elton John.

The forming of the flags looked good though. Even if the message might be a bit "hrn..." I like Black Knight, Braddock although he ditches the better costume and the humour in general.
    Skrull John Lennon.
    Largely the book's what Ennis does, and Claremont in the two "Cappy" Team-Up issues included in the book, where the author plays to the US' perception of a nation. Maybe it's part of the humour in this case but no way would a government official (officially) say Britain over UK.

The Team-Up issues are populated by morons. Spider-Man suspects visiting student Braddock is Britain by accent and other things throughout the story but Braddock can't figure out the Parker connection. A European division of the Maggia hire Arcade to kill Braddock because their computers say he may one of their suspected Captain Britains. And they don't seem to figure it out when Captain Britain turns up convieniently in New York at the same time either. Good thing
    the Punisher cripples their organization off-screen then.

I bought the rest of the run at the same time so when I complain about them later on it's not because I went back out and bought them. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭HereticPrincess

Still waiting on the next Invincible.

Taking... SOO... Long!!

I must read it :D

• Advertisement

just finished volume 4 of 52. it doesn't dissapoint, even if some of the storylines feel a little rushed. all in all, 52 was probably the best thing from DC that iv'e read!

Advertisement