Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What comic are you reading at the moment.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭Ridley

Forgot to mention I read:
    Fantastic Four: First Family - Largely inconsequential story that weaves quite nicely between the first issues of Lee and Kirby's run with a nice if apparently unintended indication of how easy Ben Grimm could have become Doctor Doom as he hides beneath his green bed sheet.

For some reason the cast, including 17 year old Johnny Storm, is played by 40 year olds but as I say: Inconsequential. ;)

612LcIh9bfL._SS500_.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭De.Lite.Touch

Re-reading the Lucifer series.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Sammy_G

Read Batman Arkham Asylum and Watchmen (AGAIN!) in the last 2 or 3 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

Decided to finally start reading 100 Bullets.

Shouldn't have, because I'm rapidly becoming addicted - I thought it would just be a well written comic with a cool idea - somone who has been wronged is given a suitcase with a gun, 100 untraceable bullets (any investigation into crimes committed with them will cease once these bullets are discovered to have been used), and absolute proof of who the guilty party who wronged them is, by the mysterious Agent Graves.

But it's exploded into this massive, epic crime story - and it's damn good.

Only thing I don't like so far is
    Dizzy turning into an uber ninja assassin so quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭MarkHall

I've just finished the run after getting them out of my local Library.

Strange ending left me a little cold. But up till that I was fairly hooked. Some great character work. And Strands of plot all over the place.
    Quite enjoyable dispite the ending.

How far in are you Mike?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Adr.

Just finished the first volume of The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen by Alan Moore and Kevin O'Neil. Really enjoyed it. Great fun all round and some lovely artwork from O'Neil.

Not sure what to read next. Possibly Lost Girls by Moore.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Adr. wrote: »
    Just finished the first volume of The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen by Alan Moore and Kevin O'Neil. Really enjoyed it. Great fun all round and some lovely artwork from O'Neil.

Not sure what to read next. Possibly Lost Girls by Moore.

Impressive though Lost Girls is, I'm wary about recommending it (and tbh kind of concerned about even owning it at the minute, given the current climate in the UK on such topics). The artwork is absolutely astonishing, though, regardless of its subject matter.

The DC Universe Stories Of Alan Moore is worth checking out if you haven't already got it - it includes Batman: The Killing Joke and Whatever Happened To The Man Of Tomorrow, along with a few other DC stories and it's impressive because the material holds up a lot better than many other comics from that period, in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Sleazus

Fysh wrote: »
    Impressive though Lost Girls is, I'm wary about recommending it (and tbh kind of concerned about even owning it at the minute, given the current climate in the UK on such topics). The artwork is absolutely astonishing, though, regardless of its subject matter.

The DC Universe Stories Of Alan Moore is worth checking out if you haven't already got it - it includes Batman: The Killing Joke and Whatever Happened To The Man Of Tomorrow, along with a few other DC stories and it's impressive because the material holds up a lot better than many other comics from that period, in my opinion.

Yep, I own the lovely deluxe "Man of Tomorrow" collection that came out ("For the Man Who Has Everything" my be my favourite Supes story ever) and the deluxe Killing Joke, but I really want to get my hands on his Green Lantern stories. Apparently (as with all his works) they are hugely influential.

Read Batman & Robin: Batman Reborn. Pretty good. Not incredibly awesome, but certainly interesting. I'm still not sure Morrison goes hand-in-hand with Batman, though.

Also the Absolute Edition of Green Lantern: Rebirth. It's amazing, but far too light on the old extras.

Impressive though Lost Girls is, I'm wary about recommending it (and tbh kind of concerned about even owning it at the minute, given the current climate in the UK on such topics).

The artwork is, indeed, astonishing. I bought the book when it first came out but still haven't gotten around to actually reading it. I wouldn't be wary about owning it, but it's not something that I would push on other people.

I think Moore is in a league of his own when it comes to comics and I don't know of anybody else who can match him for his body of work. He's just terrific. I have Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow and Batman: The Killing Joke and most of his later stuff. However, he's written so much that it's hard to keep up.

Okay, so I've read the first book of Lost Girls and, I have to say, I was suitably impressed. It is, as you'd expect from Moore, beautifully written but it is Melinda Gebbie's (Moore's wife) artwork that steals the show. It is absolutely beautiful to look at and is, in my opinion, as close to art as you can get between the covers of a book.

• Advertisement

Star Wars: Legacy 7 - Tatooine
    Captain Britain and MI-13 vol 2

Not really much to say about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭MarkHall

How about Dracula and Doom on the moon?
    I really enjoyed Cornells work on the book. I would have loved to see where he could have gone had it not had the plug pulled.
    It was a shame he had to wrap it up in that arc and didn't get to do his whole tale.

But it was nice to have Meggan Back.

MarkHall wrote: »

How about Dracula and Doom on the moon?
    I really enjoyed Cornells work on the book. I would have loved to see where he could have gone had it not had the plug pulled.
    It was a shame he had to wrap it up in that arc and didn't get to do his whole tale.

But it was nice to have Meggan Back.

Ah! Spoilers! ;)

Haven't read Vampire State yet but I haven't been enjoying it at all so far (though I like that Dracula looks exactly like he does from Tomb of Dracula). My opinion of the first is on the previous page though I've never read any Captain Britain before the Cornell volumes and Claremont's Team-Up issues at the back, and I won't be rushing to read any more at this rate despite him being responsible for a good episode of Doctor Who. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 shaysunny

Just found a load of Preacher books in my local charity shop - i've read 1 to 6 in three days!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

I picked up book 1 of the Deadpool & Cable Ultimate Collection the other day. Hilarious read so far! The art is a little confusing in some places but Fabian N does a great job of making this a "non-buddy" buddy story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Talk Talk

I'm a new poster to this thread so some context: I'm an eclectic reader. Don't have as much time as I used to. Put it this way, I remember reading Mill's epic "Charley's War" as a kid in Battle or Warlord magazine.

I read somewhere that Mills has been working in France on the Requiem Vampire Knight series for some time and decided to pick up the first two volumes (in English) - Resurection and Dracula. The basic premise is an afterlife where people are resurrected as ghouls, vampires etc, based on their sins in their previous life. It's hard to explain any more without giving away some of the wonderful ways in which the world is realised. The art work by a guy called Olivier Ledriot is appropriately outlandish and I suspect as good a foil to Mill's ideas as Kevin O'Neill has been for Nemesis and Marshall Law back in the day. Nonetheless, having been left on a cliffhanger at the end of Book 2, I'm wondeirng whether to go on. The "world" doesn't seem to hang together enough for my liking, feeling more like a jumble (of often brilliant) ideas thrown at the page. And the black humour quotient that Mills often brings to his work appears only in flashes.

Am I wrong? Has anyone read the series up to date?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭magwea

I've read some of Requiem Vampire Knight in heavy metal magazine. Not much though so my impression of the story is even more of a jumble. Outlandish is a great way of describing it although it's a strangely compelling series. Olivier Ledriot's art is perfect. Not really that into Mills' writing -it seems strange that it's published in French before English- but it's a great foil for the artist to just go crazy on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Talk Talk

Cheers magwea. Big fan of Mills, but wondering is this just a bit indulgent. Think I'll try out another favourite - Staczynski and the Supreme Power series. Just picked up the first volume!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Sleazus

Tracked down both out-of-print Absolute editions of Alan Moore's The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen for the better half for her birthday, and she let me have a read of them over the weekend. Excellent, although the weird dissonance between the "boys-only" storytelling style and some of the bleak content in the second volume was a little much (as were the crazy sexual undertones). I know the contrast is the point, but still...

Is the Black Dossier any good?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Black Dossier is interesting, but all accounts of the Absolute version were terrible, to the point that I saw it on sale at 1/3 of cover cost within 6 months of release. If you buy it, buy the normal version. Be warned that it's if anything more baffling than either of the previous volumes.

I've been reading a load of small press comics myself lately (including a bunch of stuff I picked up at Bristol) but the most recent thing I picked up was Sinister Dexter: Gunshark Vacation. I like the 7-page chapters that 2000AD enforces when it's done well, and this for me is a great example. I've got the second collection at home, and on the back of this I might seek out more 2000AD material, particularly the strips with painted artwork - there are some gorgeous pages by Charlie Gillespie in Gunshark Vacation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Anna13

Conan, the detective :">

• Registered Users Posts: 10,995 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Just re-read all of Annihilation and it's still as good as ever.

If only every Marvel crossover was this good.

Captain Britain and MI:13 vol 3 - Vampire State Much better reading for me since there were characters I knew beforehand to lessen that sense of detachment I had. And a nice cameo by
    kerazy Norman Osborn to say there's nothing he can do to help
    . :D It's what the series should have been like from the start, personally, but I suppose it gets points for being different. Won't miss it though or the feeling I got of "tally-ho!" flavour of patriotism that I think's outdated.

Star Wars: Invasion - Refugees Enjoyable story set twenty-five years after Episode IV that's an accessable new story but ties into the New Jedi Order novels from seven to ten years ago yadda yadda.

Star Wars: The Clone Wars - Slaves of the Republic Bah Lucas Marangon should have done all six issues' art instead of just the one. Combined with the colouring he's the best at emulating the TV show's art style:

390px-SWCWCS3-FC.jpg

Instead it's mostly (four) issues of Scott Hepburn whose art style is weird.

87px-Celeste_Morne.jpg is supposed to be Celeste_KOTORcover.jpg
    but you can tell 180px-Clonewars4_bg.jpg is 180px-Kenobi_Jedi_armor.jpg

Naruto 48
    - Hasn't done anything I don't like yet. ;)

Outlaw Territory vol 1
    - Got it partly because I thought I should at least own one Image comic but also wanted to see a writer/artist combo due to be in the second volume. Being in the middle of a Red Dead/Deadwood sweary cowboy phase helps but then remembered I don't like short comic stories - eight pages or so (and there's thirty of 'em) - so I probably won't be getting the second. I haven't found a story that short which I can appreciate yet.

Some nice art but found almost all the stories are forgettable. Except the one
    about the guy wanting a kiss from the same woman who knew each other as children then teens and she shoots his lower jaw off.
    Why did that happen? No idea.

Predator: Prey to the Heavens
    Army/mercs go into "a brutal third-world civil war, a merciless sectarian conflict sparing neither soldier nor civilian" in an unnamed African nation and find themselves
    caught between two fueding Predator tribes
    . I'm guessing it's supposed to feel like a free-for-all but I think it suffered do to lack of rebels.
    Military vs Rebels vs Predators
    would have preferable to
    Military vs Predators vs Predators
    . Not really a Predator fan so don't know how much that affected my reading
    I appreciate the Yutani namedrop
    ;) but fairly straightforward stuff based on the two movies. Unlike...

Aliens: More Than Human Same writer as Prey to the Heavens (John Arcudi) but much, much better. Awesome covers for a start:

16781.jpg

A kind of fire ant/termite xenomorph variation which is just by me. Story basically concerns a bunch of planetary prospectors and the archaeological discovery beneath the surface.

It was an internal groan when
    the main character turned out to be an android
    but it's actually important for the story. It's one big
    mindfook for everybody (android gets half his brain blown out) which affects the xenomorphs' behaviour aswell.
    Don't think it would make a good film (unless there was an Animatrix style anthology) but it's the kind of thing I want from an Aliens story. Not just Colonial Marines swarm-a-thons all the time.

Apparently the AVP: Three World War arc is going to explain the xenomorph variant (not necessary at least in this story but whatever) but I really hope it doesn't explain the
    place that's sending everyone crazy
    . It's like the Space Jockey. I think I'm better off not knowing.

Ridley wrote: »

Outlaw Territory vol 1
    - Got it partly because I thought I should at least own one Image comic but also wanted to see a writer/artist combo due to be in the second volume. Being in the middle of a Red Dead/Deadwood sweary cowboy phase helps but then remembered I don't like short comic stories - eight pages or so (and there's thirty of 'em) - so I probably won't be getting the second. I haven't found a story that short which I can appreciate yet.

Some nice art but found almost all the stories are forgettable. Except the one
    about the guy wanting a kiss from the same woman who knew each other as children then teens and she shoots his lower jaw off.
    Why did that happen? No idea.

It's interesting, I wouldn't particularly consider myself a big Western fan but last year I picked up the Outlaw Territory collection and the Accent UK anthology that also happened to be Western-themed.

I quite liked them both for different reasons, although oddly I think I almost preferred the Accent UK one - which had less of a Mature Readers vibe. Outlaw Territory had a pretty grim and relentless vibe to it - but it did suffer, slightly, from having a whole load of people doing grim Western stories that weren't always sufficiently different from one another to stand out. I remember the story you mentioned about the guy chasing his teenaged sweetheart or whatever, because its barbed humour made it stand out. Another story close to the start was good, if bleak:
    a child tracks down the gunslinger who killed his parents to ask that the man "send him to heaven to be with his parents", having taken someone's off-the-cuff remark literally

It's interesting, I wouldn't particularly consider myself a big Western fan but last year I picked up the Outlaw Territory collection and the Accent UK anthology that also happened to be Western-themed.

Is there a page for the Accent UK anthology anywhere online? I'm trying to find one but just keep getting blog reviews and a rant about the quality of the guns on the cover.

Though I have been reminded of that story in Outlaw Territory about the hangman, and the one about "ass meat". They were a bit different. It would have helped if they didn't all end in a similar way at least. ;)

Is there a page for the Accent UK anthology anywhere online? I'm trying to find one but just keep getting blog reviews and a rant about the quality of the guns on the cover.

Though I have been reminded of that story in Outlaw Territory about the hangman, and the one about "ass meat". They were a bit different. It would have helped if they didn't all end in a similar way at least. ;)

Yeah, I think the best Western story I read last year was a western/lovecraft mashup - can't recall where I read that, though. The Accent UK anthology has a page here but it's not particularly visible - I think I found it because someone on another board had an ad for it in their sig (see, they do work!).

Stupid website only lets you link to stupid main page. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

I just finished the 2nd volume of Grant Morrison's Doom Patrol run.

it was good, but not as good as the first book. I also liked the first volume of Showcase presents Doom Patrol.

anyway, i'm just wondering if anybody has read the first trade of the newest run (We who are about to die) and if it's any good?

Stupid website only lets you link to stupid main page. :rolleyes:

Ah, poop. Go to the main site, then click on Publications in the left, then Anthologies, and then you should see the list including Westerns.

They really should sort out that site, it looks bad enough without having crap navigation bolted on as well...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 576 ✭✭✭sarsfieldsrock

Just finished reading Vols 1 and 2 of the Killer by Jacamon and Matz.
    Brilliant book written in French and translated for these.
    I know that there is more but it doesn't seem to have been translated into English yet.

Advertisement