Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What comic are you reading at the moment.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

I started reading Scott Pilgrim on Monday, I reached Volume 3 last night. They're great, so hard to put down. I actually have to stop myself reading, I don't want to get through the five volumes too quickly. It'll just make the few weeks until Volume 6's release seem that much longer!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 josephtoole

Very lighthearted and humorous, but very good. Cyanide and Happiness at www.explosm.net

A hilarious web comic.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭noodlesmcfilthy

Very lighthearted and humorous, but very good. Cyanide and Happiness at www.explosm.net

A hilarious web comic.

You've obviously never read any of their Depressing comic weeks...

[SIZE=-2]comicdepressing4.png[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-2]Cyanide & Happiness @ Explosm.net[/SIZE]

Hilarious Yes... Lighthearted... Nooooo..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I hate that webcomic, the above is a perfect example of why, what's so funny about it? :confused:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    I hate that webcomic, the above is a perfect example of why, what's so funny about it? :confused:

It's a bit of an in-joke - Cyanide & Happiness is done by a group of 4 guys who take turns in writing & drawing the strips, and each has their own take on the humour. A lot of the strips involve macabre situations or set-ups with off-the-wall closing panels or punchlines, and the Depressing Comic Weeks came about as a series of metagags basically imagining what those strips would be like if the punchlines were subtracted.

So by itself the strip above isn't particularly funny. It's only in the context of the general tone of the strip that the humour emerges.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭TheEscapist

Friend recommended this series a couple of years ago but I just couldn't get into it. Started it again last week and now I'm on the 6th book. It's a great piece of work and most importantly great fun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 JordanRHughes

I am currently looking for Obama comics. there sure are a lot of them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Finsihed the first collected volume of Ward's Irredeemable. The premise is, what happens if the ultimate super-hero goes darkside.
    It has a grim, tragic feel to it, with a fairly heavy loss of character body count. Enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

Manach wrote: »
    Finsihed the first collected volume of Ward's Irredeemable. The premise is, what happens if the ultimate super-hero goes darkside.
    It has a grim, tragic feel to it, with a fairly heavy loss of character body count. Enjoyable.

I liked this a lot too, though I'd hoped it might finish up in a reasonable number of issues, it looks like it might stretch out to a long run.

You might like Incorruptible by the same author - it's a spin off featuring Max Damage (considered as the only villain with half a chance if he was to go toe to toe with the Plutonian) who decides to turn good after witnessing the Plutonians rampage. It's not as enjoyable as Irredeemable, but still pretty good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭DualBladez

the batman comics, never fails for the lolz

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 whamuel

I'm finally getting around to reading Watchmen. The graphic novel is so much better than the movie!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 nokialovers

I love Spiderman, and my favorite villain is Doc Ock.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Great stuff ,really enjoyed this one.part 2 and 3 already ordered.

From the dark and twisted mind of Garth Ennis, co-creator of "Preacher" and "Hitman", and the savage pencil of Darick Robertson, artist of "Transmetropolitan", comes a darkly hilarious story that will change the way you look at superheroes forever!Meet Billy Butcher. He's not a nice man, and neither are his team: the Frenchman, Mother's Milk, and the Female. They hate "capes"...and so does Billy's newest recruit, Wee Hughie, whose girlfriend has just become collateral damage in a super-brawl. But does Hughie know what he's getting into?This hugely controversial new series - which caused an uproar upon original publication - explores the sordid side of superheroics! Warning: Adults Only!

http://www.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&rlz=1T4SNYK_en-GBIE307IE307&q=the+boys+garth+ennis&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=IZc3TLiXCtGSjAfA-IiKBA&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=12&ved=0CFoQsAQwCw

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Some sick sh!t in this one,definitely adults only. One scene is of a bloke been raped while his intestines are hanging out.Although i love post apocalyptic stuff and i am a big fan of Walking Dead by Kirkman,not sure if i will get part 2 of this one, i will think about it.
    Crossed is Ennis' horrifically visceral exploration of the pure evil that humans are truly capable of indulging and collected here are all ten heart-stopping chapters. This gut-wrenching vision is brought to vivid (and more than a little disturbing) life by his partner in crime Jacen Burrows. .......................................................................................................
    If extreme gore and violence depicted beautifully isn't your thing stay away.

If you love Garth Ennis, and can handle comic book violence in the extreme, you'll enjoy this read

http://www.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&rlz=1T4SNYK_en-GBIE307IE307&q=the+boys+garth+ennis&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=IZc3TLiXCtGSjAfA-IiKBA&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=12&ved=0CFoQsAQwCw

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Roomic Cube

reading superman: red son

superman is raised in the ukraine and becomes the communist soviet superhero

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭PaganKing

Currently Reading:

The aformentioned The Boys by Garth Ennis
    The Walking Dead by Robert Kirkman
    Most of IDW Transformers G1 line
    Some of Eric Powell's The Goon
    Anything by Warren Ellis including his online comic FreakAngels (:pac:Highly Recommended:pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

The Star wars omnibuses. i'm already on volume 3 of x-wing rogue squadron :D

gonna move on to IDW's Classic Transformers collections next (Marvel reprints)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭Ridley

Star Wars: The Clone Wars: In the Service of the Republic
    Conan: The Blood-Stained Crown and Other Stories
    Conan: The Spear and Other Stories
    Thunderbolts: Widowmaker

X-Factor 8: Overtime -
    Man, almost everyone has a snappy comeback in that book. Plus more stuff to annoy Rob Liefeld. :D

Judge Dredd vs Aliens: Incubus - First Dredd comic I've ever picked up so no idea how faithful it is to the proper series but it's by Wagner so I assume it does okay there. As an Aliens story it ain't that bad. I was expecting a lot of flippancy with the xenomorph but it does try to keep them a threat. Mostly.
    Midwife walking away from a xenomorph with it hanging over a newborn baby and doing nothing
    I call shenanigans on.

I could have done without
    the robot ...things trying to punch out a fullgrown xenomorph
    and Dredd doing an uncessary comic cliché play by play of what he's doing as he
    falls and fights a xenomorph
    but his
    smacking away a chestburster with the back of his fist when it emerges
    was quite fun. In character aswell I guess. Shame it ended
    with Dredd getting his own xenomorph removed
    . No idea how Dredd canon works but as a story
    he should have gone down.
    An unexpected good crossover really.

Green Lantern vs Aliens - Offal. Probably doesn't help that my experience of Green Lantern is mostly Johns' stuff but blarg. Nice art though. Hal Jordan and other members of the Corps find the xenomorphs on a planet but, as they're not evil, Jordan decides to transport them to
    Mogo
    so they can't harm anyone else.
    And the xenomorphs are carried off all cute in those green balls to be relocated safely. Awww.
    ;)
    Ten years later a ship crashes on the planet and the ex Lanterns go get Kyle Rayner, as the only remaining Green Lantern, to help them with the survivors. Some die.
    Rayner
    loses his ring early on and when he eventually gets it back he decides to wipe all the xenomorphs out with the uber ring so... erm.. they're no longer a threat to anyone else who might accidentally crash there or something.

Well gee that's not immoral. I'm guessing it's supposed to do with Parrallax/Jordan since the idea is that
    Jordan is such a jerk for leaving them alive.
    To quote Wikipedia's plot summary
    "Crowe, fatally damaged during the melee, tells Rayner that he shouldn't leave the xenomorphs alive to endanger someone else in the future as Jordan did..."
    To me it's Rayner who just looks like an ass.

That is the kind of story I expect from these types of crossover. I dislike the all-powerful ring but at least it can be removed. I've got the Superman/Aliens crossover aswell so I imagine that's going to be a painful read. ;)

Lone Wolf 2100: Shadows on Saplings - Reinterpretation of Lone Wolf and Cub set in a dystopian future world where America's lost its prestige, the Asian nations are more united and the humanity being devastated by a virus. Android "Emulation Construct" Itto flees across the land with the daughter of his murdered creator who may be the key to eradicating the virus despite their pursuers claiming she is a carrier.

I like it. ;) I remember the art from an Boba Fett issue and like the style.

lw21001p3.jpg

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I've been reading an absolute ton of stuff recently but haven't made time to write it up, so I figure if I don't start now it'll never get done.

In no particular order:

Rambo 3.5 by Jim Rugg url=http://jimrugg.blogspot.com/2010/04/rambo-35.html]Link[/url

A minicomic from one of the guys behind Street Angel and Afrodisiac, this is basically a mentalist sort of sequel to Rambo 3, in comics form. Rather than try to explain it, I'll just post up the introduction:

"In 1988, Vietnam veteran and ex-Green Beret, John J. Rambo pushed the Soviets out of Afghanistan (see Rambo III for complete details).

With the Ruskies gone, the Taliban, led by anti-Soviet Mujahideen, siezed power in Kabul. After apparently forgetting how awesome and badass Rambo is, the Taliban gave refuge to Osama bin Laden and his terrorist gang - al Queda."

From there on, it goes on to depict a team-up of Dubya and Rambo in the immediate aftermath of September 11th, in a suitably mental fashion.

The art shifts around a lot in ways that don't always work to the story's best advantage, but this is at least as much an excuse for some ridiculous laughs as it is a plot-based comic. Personally, I loved it.

Werewolves of Montpellier by Jason url=http://www.fantagraphics.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=1884&category_id=325&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=62]Link[/url

A slim but very pretty book, I loved this. I've enjoyed everything I've read by Jason, but that only amounts to 2 or 3 of his books and a couple of strips here and there. His use of dialogue is excellent - there's never more than you need, but it doesn't feel sparse or minimalist. Similarly his visuals are deceptively simple while conveying a great deal of information and guiding the narrative steadily.

Basically, this book has told me that I should be spending a whole lot more money on comics by Jason.

Ghostopolis by Doug TenNapel url=http://tennapel.com/comics.html]Link[/url

I first heard of Doug TenNapel through his contribution to Flight Volume 2, Solomon Fix. Somehow I didn't find out until very recently that he's the genius behind Earthworm Jim (A HERO FOR ALL TIME!), but I figured I'd take a chance on his new book, particularly when it's 200+ pages of full-colour artwork for £10.

Ghostopolis is published under Scholastic's Graphix imprint and thus somewhere in the all-ages/young adult band, like Kazu Kibuishi's Amulet: The Stonekeeper series. That being said, this doesn't get in the way of it being a thoroughly enjoyable read.

I found Ghostopolis to have a solid mixture of fantasy adventure and humour, with a mixture of nutty ideas that could easily have gotten out of control but were kept just in check enough to let the story flow. Part of me would like to have seen more exploration of the different ghost kingdoms themselves, but at the same time I think the story is stronger by having avoided that sort of meandering (which, while interesting, would have diluted the overall narrative).

I Am Legion #1-6 by Fabien Nury and John Cassaday url=http://www.humanoids.com/album/223]Link[/url

I originally picked this up as single issues but, since it wasn't quite coming out monthly, I gave up on actually reading it until all 6 issues were out. Then I forgot about it until last weekend.

Having finally gotten to read it, I'm kind of disappointed.

Firstly, the art. It's gorgeous stuff, but clearly repurposed from an original printing with a different page aspect ratio. As a result this gives us artwork that's probably been shrunk down and which is laid out oddly on the page - there are frequently bands of a couple of inches of empty space at the top and bottom of the page. It's like having your comics in letterbox format.

Secondly, and rather more seriously, the writing and story. There's a huge cast of one-off and recurring characters in this series. It's set in WWII, with a story involving a Nazi plot to use a supernaturally-possessed child to create a new breed of soldier - a plot aspect that leads to some characters being possessed (said possession being identifiable only through a certain tattoo that appears on the victim's back). Between the huge cast, the repeated instances of cast members who look alike, and writing that's non-expository but coy about identifying people, I found it tough to keep track of what was happening and who was who. Which is a shame, because it's a well-plotted and taut thriller. The ending is a bit limp, but then I always find that about stories based on plots to build WWII superweapons - there's only one way they can go, really.

Overall, I can't say I'd recommend it. Which is a shame, as I'm sure the artwork at its original size is beautiful stuff. But even with lovely artwork, the story remains too fiddly to follow for my liking.

Peter Bagge's Hate Annual #8 url=http://www.fantagraphics.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=1711&category_id=135&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=62]Link[/url

I've not read much of Peter Bagge's stuff, but I've liked what I've read. It's good, clean, occasionally bitter & twisted fun. As with Jason, an apparently simple drawing style hides deceptively strong caricature and storytelling ability, with some great humourous notes coming to the forefront in this annual.

I'm not sure it's quite worth the $5 cover price, but it's definitely an enjoyable and funny read.

That's it for now - more later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Panda

Give White ninja a look for a good shot of random in the arm.

Dr. McNinja is probably known but always worth a revisit to read the recent updates.

and more recently i've found Pug Davis
    unfortunatly the first two issues were taken down coz they're getting printed but the preview is worth a look imo.

also theres two other short stories up that are worth looking at if you've got a few minutes to spare...

• Advertisement

I read Volume 6 of Scott Pilgrim last night. It was up the usual standard, but it was a bittersweet feeling, similar to finishing The Deathly Hallows!

It kinda changed
    how we view Scott as character, since his treatment of past girlfriends could have ended up turning him into someone like Gideon

Mr. K wrote: »
    I read Volume 6 of Scott Pilgrim last night. It was up the usual standard, but it was a bittersweet feeling, similar to finishing The Deathly Hallows!

It kinda changed
    how we view Scott as character, since his treatment of past girlfriends could have ended up turning him into someone like Gideon

Yeah, I was surprised at how good an ending it was tbh. I'd read the previous books all in one go and found it a bit meh - the story was ok, the retro/gaming stuff was a fun side-detail but seemed a bit too self-conscious at times, but Scott's character always stood out as a bit of a prat and it irked me that nobody seemed to call him on it.

This volume changed all that, and it did it in a really satisfying way. I have to read it again in a while, but having read how the story finishes it hangs together remarkably well.

Fysh wrote: »
    but Scott's character always stood out as a bit of a prat and it irked me that nobody seemed to call him on it.

Kim kinda did call him on it though, didn't she?

I'm really looking forward to the movie and game now!

Kim kinda did call him on it though, didn't she?

Ah yeah, but with Kim there was this weird vibe because of their history together. I don't get why someone like Wallace would continually fund Scott's deadbeat life, or why anyone would think he was cool and worth hanging around with when what he seemed to spend a lot of his time doing was staring into his own navel and sponging off his friends.

Being temporarily broke is one thing. Being too damn lazy or stupid to get any kind of a job and fund yourself is another.

And yeah, the movie looks like it should be great fun :)

Fysh wrote: »
    Being temporarily broke is one thing. Being too damn lazy or stupid to get any kind of a job and fund yourself is another.

Loads of people are like that though, aren't they? We all know someone who's a bit of a sponge. Scott is obviously a bit of an exaggeration, but not entirely unrealistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Uncle Spunk

Just started reading Blue Cold Desire by Stan Lee in the 60's, really dark material. Best comic I've ever read

• Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

I just finished Batman & Robin: Batman Reborn. tbh, it was good, but not great. really nice hardcover though.
    in contrast i also read Red Robin: The Grail, the first trade in that new series and it was extreamly enjoyable in comparison! :D
    moving on to The FLash: Rebirth!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭Ridley

None of Vol 6 is in the movie. Note that I haven't finished writing it yet, but they're already making a movie. Their ending is their ending

( http://twitter.com/radiomaru/status/1875098540 )

Should be interesting to see where/when the film diverts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Scalped - Jason Aaron
    Invincible Ironman - Matt Fraction
    Invincible - Robert Kirkman
    The walking dead - Robert Kirkman
    DMZ - Brian Wood
    Ex Machina - Brian K Vaughn

Hmm thats all I can think of right now .

• Advertisement

Ridley wrote: »
    Should be interesting to see where/when the film diverts.

Wouldn't it be interesting if they went with Lee O'Malley's original
    downer
    ending?

Interview about last book:
    I just finished Batman & Robin: Batman Reborn. tbh, it was good, but not great. really nice hardcover though.

Which part of the Batman Reborn storyline does Mark Bagley do the art for? I love his work, I've been meaning to pick up some of his DC stuff. I know Frank Quitely does the main one.

Advertisement