Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What comic are you reading at the moment.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Wonder Woman
    Amazing Spider-man
    Black Widow
    and just began Shadowlands which was shocking for me for obvious reasons.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭_Godot_

These days I just read 2000 AD and the Judge Dredd magazine.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭JangoFett

Avengers
    The Flash
    Green Arrow
    Green Lantern
    Green Lantern Corps
    Batman and Robin
    Wonder Woman
    Red Robin
    Batman/Superman

Return of Bruce Wayne
    Time Masters: Vanishing Point
    Brightest Day

I have to say I'm enjoying each book I'm collecting at the moment. Batman/Superman is weak at the moment though, old stories not REALLY concerned with continuity, the bookw as at it's best in the first 20 issues

• Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Mr. K wrote: »
    Which part of the Batman Reborn storyline does Mark Bagley do the art for? I love his work, I've been meaning to pick up some of his DC stuff. I know Frank Quitely does the main one.

I flicked through the credits on the trade and his name doesn't come up on it, now the Batman Reborn tie in of Red Robin (The Grail) so i'm afraid I cant help you. Batwoman: Eulugy is suppose to be a Batman Reborn tie in, so i'll check out the credits on that one when I pick it up.

Anyway, Just finished Final Crisis. I found it disjointed, impossable to follow and made no sense. very dissapointing, not because of the story, I just couldn't tell what was going on half the time. Morrison really needs to be reigned in by an editor...and maybe stop writing things while stoned.:mad:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Anyway, Just finished Final Crisis. I found it disjointed, impossable to follow and made no sense. very dissapointing, not because of the story, I just couldn't tell what was going on half the time. Morrison really needs to be reigned in by an editor...and maybe stop writing things while stoned.:mad:

I recall reading some comments from Morrison about how he'd written it with the idea that readers would be going online and basically over-analyzing each chapter before reading the next one, which sounds suspiciously like "I've written an impenetrably crap story and you're going to need to read a whole bunch of Wikipedia articles at the very least before it makes sense".

There again, I find an awful lot of Morrison's stuff to be impenetrably-written guff. I have enjoyed some of his stories, but not much of his recent output...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭Ridley

Fysh wrote: »
    I recall reading some comments from Morrison about how he'd written it with the idea that readers would be going online and basically over-analyzing each chapter before reading the next one, which sounds suspiciously like "I've written an impenetrably crap story and you're going to need to read a whole bunch of Wikipedia articles at the very least before it makes sense".

There again, I find an awful lot of Morrison's stuff to be impenetrably-written guff. I have enjoyed some of his stories, but not much of his recent output...

I dunno, that reads like "I've written an impenetrably crap story and trick you into thinking it's avant-garde. Now watch me do a thriller about a horse with a monocle" to me. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Ridley wrote: »
    I dunno, that reads like "I've written an impenetrably crap story and trick you into thinking it's avant-garde. Now watch me do a thriller about a horse with a monocle" to me. ;)

I found myself thinking this while reading Batman RIP. I kinda enjoyed it, but it was a bit mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Nabeshin

I flicked through the credits on the trade and his name doesn't come up on it, now the Batman Reborn tie in of Red Robin (The Grail) so i'm afraid I cant help you. Batwoman: Eulugy is suppose to be a Batman Reborn tie in, so i'll check out the credits on that one when I pick it up.

It was J. H. Williams who did the art for Batwoman. Which is stunning by the way. Good story too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jennifer18

simu wrote: »
    Just read the first collected Invisibles book - Say you want a revolution - recently. I'd already read one of the later collected books of this comic - Entropy in the UK - but the first volume was good as an explanation of the ideas behind the series even if it didn't seem quite as amazing as Entropy. The story of Dane, the young guy whom the Invisibles, (or one cell of the secret organisation known as the Invisibles whose purpose is to prevent aliens from taking over the minds of humans), are trying to recruit was pretty cool, reminded me of some of the Hellblazer comics. Lots of trippy goings-on, time travel (they went back in time and met the Marquis de Sade who turned out to be a pleasant, tubby guy!), weird creatures from other dimensions and funky human characters - even though you get the impression the writer (Grant Morrison) was trying to set the scenario for future story developments quite a bit in this book, I'm looking forward to reading more of his stuff.

invisibles_say_you_want_a_revolution.jpg
    yup those kabuki are really good just finised the fourth book.

I recomened the Authority (More Kev) story line which is out at the moment. Its very funny i think anywway. Seaguy is pretty good also.

Hellboy just read wake the devil graphic last night, good also.

Also Ex machina is lookin like it could be good, just read the first part today.

Maybe check those out if you have time

Wouldn't it be interesting if they went with Lee O'Malley's original
    downer
    ending?

I almost thought they would...

----

Knights of the Old Republic 9: Destroyer - Last of the run. Thought the series started to ebb
    with the end of the Jedi Covenant
    but it was cancelled/concluded when it started picking up steam again. It's being replaced by something better in theory anyway.

Star Wars Adventures: The Will of Darth Vader - Dunno if I liked this. Set around Empire Strikes Back, guy with connection to the Rebels who is needed by Vader to be kept alive basically spends their time together irritating and baiting him. The guy's rattling off one liners in Vader's face could be seen a detrimental to Vader's character but there's an argument that with the time it's set, Luke Skywalker's an influence.

Didn't care for the eye bulging out for the recipient of the Force anyway.

Superman/Aliens - Better than Green Lantern's crossover since the xenomorph doesn't get punked out in the first couple of pages. It's actually a decent threat
    although Supermullet is depowered for it. *sigh*
    . Was alright until the end when it pulled the same thing the Judge Dredd and Aliens crossover did by
    having the facehuggers actually get an egg in the protagonist
    then completely undo it at the end. Would it kill them to have them
    lose? At least Dredd didn't vomit the chestburster out of his gut. I hate Superman.

Green Lantern: Rage of the Red Lanterns - Enjoyed it but quickly replaced by:

Green Lantern: Agent Orange - I caved and bought the hardcover instead of the usual waiting on the TPBs because I like the emotional spectrum. Glad I did because Agent Orange is great. From the look, to his personality. Not sure how/if he could sustain multiple future appearances but it's nice to have a villain that actually plays by the rules.

green-lantern-39.jpg

Happy to rock Green and Red Lanterns and Agent Orange T-Shirts aswell. :pac:

The Flash: Rebirth - Not so much bad as being a bunch of concepts I'm just not familiar with and the kind of thing that makes me a Marvel fan. What the heck a Speed Force? Wikipedia sez

"The Speed Force is a vaguely-defined extra-dimensional energy force from which most, but not all, superspeed-powered heroes in the DC Comics universe draw their enhanced abilities." ...okay.

I got help with Green Lantern: Rebirth as there was a written introduction that explained some of the background that the book itself didn't cover but not in The Flash. I might get a follow up volume to see if there's anything to latch onto but somehow I doubt it.

(Hickman/Eaglesham's) Fantastic Four vol 1- Liked it more than Millar/Hitch's run (although that is partly due to their run not being anywhere near as good as Ultimates) but it falls back into the same themes that seem to always turn up when a new creative team takes over.

Dark Avengers 2: Molecule Man

New Avengers 10: Power
    - Namor has a thing for female Loki. Not a surprise. ;) Though I wonder how intentional the dialogue was on the last two panels of a page:

LOKI: I'm pleased you find this new form so appealing.
    NAMOR: Well, I-I didn't say that I was merely--
    DOOM: He's coming.
    FROST: Yes.
    *Osborn turns up on next page*

New Avengers 11: Search for the Sorcerer Supreme
    New Avengers 12: Powerloss

Mighty Avengers: Earth's Mightiest
    - Dan Slott has made me a Hank Pym fan. I was indifferent the regular version before and liked the character of The Ultimates' wifebeater, but almost everyone in this book recognising Pym as the insecure, loser nutjob he is was great.

Hercules' reaction to Pym declaring himself The Wasp after his dead ex-wife was the same one I had: "You-- you don't think he's cross-dressing do you?"

But the one reason to be a Ant-Man/Giant-Man/Yellowjacket/Wasp fan:
    "Dr. Richards?"
    "Hank?"
    "It's on, bitch."

Mighty Avengers: The Unspoken
    - More of them same which is a good thing. Surprised DC didn't get their hands on the name "US Agent" first since it's more their naming style.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (vols 1 & 2) - Adaptation of the (greatest) game (of all time TM). Diverts from the source material for sensible reasons I think, but after quite a long introduction it feels abbreviated.

Pokémon Adventures 1 - Don't judge me! Thought it would be decent. It's not. Loosely follows the plot of the games in a similar style to the TV show but feels more abbreviated than the LoZ books with the battles so short. The intro is good but no real suspense. Bought two other volumes at the same time so maybe it'll improve as it goes along and I'll continue reading something not aimed at my demographic. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 wondertrash

Wonder Woman

ww_602_dylux-5-copy.jpg

Which part of the Batman Reborn storyline does Mark Bagley do the art for? I love his work, I've been meaning to pick up some of his DC stuff. I know Frank Quitely does the main one.

I just got Batman: Long Shadows HC. that's the one that Bagley does. It looks superb.

In other news, I picked up volumes 3-6 of The Question series from the 80's. really looking forward to them! :D

Exiles: Point of No Return - Missed this off my last list. Shame the relaunch got cancelled after six issues since I think it got back into the flow of the books I enjoyed before Claremont took over.

Only time I lost interest was during his stuff or that World Tour arc which I found dull (I didn't want to see any of those old universes again).

Blackest Night - (BN #0 - 8) Liked it for the most part. That FCBD issues included was what drew me to Geoff Johns' Green Lantern after all. I assume the big gaps will be filled by Blackest Night: Green Lantern and the questions answered in Brightest Day but seems to ebb towards the end.

It actually had a variation/explanation on
    the returns from comic book death
    that was interesting. Should be a good thing if
    the cap on resurrections
    is actually maintained. Also like that the earlier
    Sinestro Corps Scarecrow which was teased
    got page time.

And Larfleeze/Agent Orange is still good fun. :D

What I didn't like was
    Earth being the origin of life in the universe
    . Making space expansive and alien is something I think DC does better than Marvel so that felt like it was just the clichéd story element of
    arbitrarily making Earth special simply because we're on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭De.Lite.Touch

Ridley wrote: »
    Exiles: Point of No Return - Missed this off my last list. Shame the relaunch got cancelled after six issues since I think it got back into the flow of the books I enjoyed before Claremont took over.

Only time I lost interest was during his stuff or that World Tour arc which I found dull (I didn't want to see any of those old universes again).

Blackest Night - (BN #0 - 8) Liked it for the most part. That FCBD issues included was what drew me to Geoff Johns' Green Lantern after all. I assume the big gaps will be filled by Blackest Night: Green Lantern and the questions answered in Brightest Day but seems to ebb towards the end.

It actually had a variation/explanation on
    the returns from comic book death
    that was interesting. Should be a good thing if
    the cap on resurrections
    is actually maintained. Also like that the earlier
    Sinestro Corps Scarecrow which was teased
    got page time.

And Larfleeze/Agent Orange is still good fun. :D

What I didn't like was
    Earth being the origin of life in the universe
    . Making space expansive and alien is something I think DC does better than Marvel so that felt like it was just the clichéd story element of
    arbitrarily making Earth special simply because we're on it

It's hardly arbitrary then is it :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

It's hardly arbitrary then is it :D

It is if there's no explanation as to why Earth is so important in that regard, given how many alien races are present in the DC Universe...

It is if there's no explanation as to why Earth is so important in that regard, given how many alien races are present in the DC Universe...

Okay, I'll play.

Who created the DC Universe?

De.Lite.Touch.

Okay, I'll play.

Who created the DC Universe?

De.Lite.Touch.

Probably not the humans who live on the Earth within that universe.

And frankly that kind of metatextual twaddle (Earth is the centre of the Universe because in the real world humans on Earth create these comics) just helps to yet again make the DC Universe at one and the same time more convoluted and less interesting to anyone who hasn't already become a fan.

I got Serenity: Those left behind and Better days. great so far, i'm hoping there's a third volume, but i don't think so. anybody here know

I got Serenity: Those left behind and Better days. great so far, i'm hoping there's a third volume, but i don't think so. anybody here know

There's Float Out, and The Shepherd's Tale in November but they're one-shots. Probably won't be a third volume until there's enough issues for a collection.

Edit: Apparently Shepherd's Tale is the third volume.

http://www.darkhorse.com/Search/serenity

So no. I don't know. ;)

Probably not the humans who live on the Earth within that universe.
    You're forgetting that Julie Schwartz story involving Flash, Green Lantern, Superman and Green Arrow and Batman, when they were "drawn" to Earth Prime, where it was stated apparently for the second time [I can't remember the first] that "certain writers of mine" [Julie's] could affect history on Earth 1 and Earth 2.
    That was befoer Crisis on Infinite Earths, but no Hypertime is in, anything could happen - well, fifty two anythings. :-)
    [or is it back down to 51 now - I can't recall - losing the plot]
    And frankly that kind of metatextual twaddle (Earth is the centre of the Universe because in the real world humans on Earth create these comics) just helps to yet again make the DC Universe at one and the same time more convoluted and less interesting to anyone who hasn't already become a fan.

Its not twaddle.

I know what you're trying to say, but it doesn't seem to stack up and better than my argument.
    Its like those metaphysical arguments that deny God because we can't prove he exists - we can't prove he doesn't.
    Earth being important is no more unlikely than having OA as the beginning of life or even that any such "beginning" place would still exist.

Its unlikely any place old enough near the galactic centre to hold such a title would still exist - the great attractor would have engulfed it long ago.
    Plus, we are made of elements that can only be formed in stars and supernovae - life came late in the day and there's no reason for it to have started in a particular space sector - its a big lottery out there.
    So making a nondescript planet in a nondescript spiral arm important is no more unlikely than find life on the third planet of Sol.

We are the unlikely reason earth is so important - comics just elaborate on that fact.
    If you're looking for the metaphysical why you'll have to read that other great story - the Bible.

But if you're looking for the contextual why then its obvious.
    Without this "importance" DC would have a pretty lame "interstellar" back story.
    And it'd lose sales to Marvel - which also shares the same predilection with Earth.

Let's go further an - why do most of the English speaking comics - by volume sales - centre on America?
    Because most people who buy hard copy comics live in America or want to read about America - its a requirement for success.
    Even Lewis and Leons's The Winter Men had to have an entire issue wandering around New York just to cheer up its Russian Mafia readership.

De.Lite.Touch.

• Advertisement

You're forgetting that Julie Schwartz story involving Flash, Green Lantern, Superman and Green Arrow and Batman, when they were "drawn" to Earth Prime, where it was stated apparently for the second time [I can't remember the first] that "certain writers of mine" [Julie's] could affect history on Earth 1 and Earth 2.
    That was befoer Crisis on Infinite Earths, but no Hypertime is in, anything could happen - well, fifty two anythings. :-)
    [or is it back down to 51 now - I can't recall - losing the plot]

I'll be honest, I've no idea what's happening with DC's multiverse, and they make it so bloody difficult to keep up that I don't care either.

As for the Schwartz story...that's all well and good, but if you're going to seriously try and reconcile every published DC comic into one internally-consistent and factual story-continuity where such comments make sense, you have my sympathy as regards your imminent mental breakdown ;) I understand why writers like to throw in that sort of "wink at the reader" moments into their story, but taking them seriously as any kind of plot point is one of the steps on the road to madness...
    Its not twaddle.

I know what you're trying to say, but it doesn't seem to stack up and better than my argument.
    Its like those metaphysical arguments that deny God because we can't prove he exists - we can't prove he doesn't.

Not quite the same, though - either one is willing to go along with Occam's Razor (simplest explanation which predicts all observed facts) or one is at odds with the scientific method anyway, at which point the argument may as well be one of one faith vs another and thus pointless since faith and reason are effectively irrelevant to one another.
    Earth being important is no more unlikely than having OA as the beginning of life or even that any such "beginning" place would still exist.

Its unlikely any place old enough near the galactic centre to hold such a title would still exist - the great attractor would have engulfed it long ago.
    Plus, we are made of elements that can only be formed in stars and supernovae - life came late in the day and there's no reason for it to have started in a particular space sector - its a big lottery out there.
    So making a nondescript planet in a nondescript spiral arm important is no more unlikely than find life on the third planet of Sol.

There's a difference between "life being somewhere" and "that somewhere being the origin of all life". Given that you evidently understand why a universe as diversely populated as that depicted in the DCU would have one central source of life (rather than countless separate instances of life spontaneously evolving), it's kind of weird for you to then say that having a central Birthplace Of All Life makes sense.
    We are the unlikely reason earth is so important - comics just elaborate on that fact.
    If you're looking for the metaphysical why you'll have to read that other great story - the Bible.

But if you're looking for the contextual why then its obvious.
    Without this "importance" DC would have a pretty lame "interstellar" back story.
    And it'd lose sales to Marvel - which also shares the same predilection with Earth.

De.Lite.Touch.

I say this is a lack of imagination. If that's the only way DC thinks they can have interstellar comics that find an audience, maybe they should just stop trying to push their characters out beyond Earth.

It helps to compare this sort of space-opera/sci-fi to what you find in other media- and frankly, the comparison to prose sci-fi shows up a lot of DC's interstellar stories as being throwbacks to the bad end of 1950s scifi.

I don't think we're at loggerheads on this FYSH, I'm just being the devil's advocate for a bit.

I agree that multiple "outbreaks" of life makes more sense statistically.

If the critical conditions can be met once - positing an infinite universe, then there is a high liklihood of several points of origin even allowing for a restricted time frame for dominant species' generation, growth expansion and degeneration.

The logic of the Rising Stars series, which I'm starting to read at the moment, makes more sense, where a happenstance comet does things to earth people.

De.Lite.Touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Recently finished

The Boys :get some

51s61iLTtDL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

The Stand :Captain Trips

51Xg%2BDRB%2BiL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

The Stand :American Nightmares

51U6R0nn9sL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Borgia :Flames from Hell

61fAJf9Yr-L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

No Pasaran Vol 1
    51jTQHz6j6L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

No Pasaran Vol 2

61lFVQzap0L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Green Manor: Assassins and gentlemen

51HNP3415WL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Liked them all but my favourites were "the boys" and "the stand"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Waiting for this to arrive.
    Samurai Detective Noir collection:
    samnoir.jpg

First issue is onine free:
    http://www.imagecomics.com/iconline.php?title=samnoir_001&page=cover

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Not a huge comic book guy, don't have any form of collection really, but this was reccomended to me..and I'm hooked.

Easily one of the best storys I've ever read, enthralling stuff :)

I'm sure most of your probably already know it, or read it, but I never knew of its existence, and I love zombie stuff !

WalkingDead001.jpg

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Not a huge comic book guy, don't have any form of collection really, but this was reccomended to me..and I'm hooked.

Easily one of the best storys I've ever read, enthralling stuff :)

I'm sure most of your probably already know it, or read it, but I never knew of its existence, and I love zombie stuff !

You might be interested to know that AMC are producing a TV series based on the Walking Dead at the minute. I'm intrigued to see how it'll go, as the comic does quite a good job of taking a long-form look at how life in a post-zombpocalypse world would play out...

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭NotInventedHere

2000AD issues 400 - 500 with my son

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

I picked up the four issues of this summer's Spider-Girl mini-series. I read the first issue last night, it's really cool so far. I liked that May looks more like MJ than she did at the start of her series!

Wow, I haven't done any kind of write-up on my recent reading in ages. Time to rectify that, I think!

Choker #4
    After a substantial delay that effectively killed the momentum of the series, #4 does a good job of reminding me what I had been enjoying in this series. Templesmith is given enough oddness to draw that the stagnation of his artistic style isn't grating, and the story moves on at a good clip.

Supergod #4

Continuing on the established "retrospective documentary about the end of the world" of previous issues, I think the highlight of this issue was the outcome of the fight between Krishna and Maitreya. Given that I'm very much uninterested in shared-universe ongoing tales at the moment, I'm really enjoying this series.

20th Century Boys volume 10

Every time I find a volume of 20th Century Boys on my standing order, I'm delighted. The artwork and story in this really come together just perfectly, and although I've already seen the trilogy of films based on the series I'm still entranced by the story being spun out in the comics.

Dark Entries: A John Constantine Novel

Having decided to stop reading any Hellblazer-related material at the end of Mike Carey's run (though I've read good things about Diggle's material and may pick it up in due course), I decided to have a read of this and see what it was like. Some parts are very good - Rankin's characterisation for Constantine is strong, and the dialogue is pretty good.

On the other hand, there are issues with the storyline that necessarily ignore chunks of Constantine's history for the sake of being easy for new readers. Not a major thing, but enough to have you wondering why they stuck the John Constantine name on it if they were going to ignore those details.

That being said, it's worth a look, not least because the art works very nicely in black & white.

Hey, Mister volumes 1-3

I picked up volume 1 of Hey Mister (The After-school special) on a whim when I saw it going for cheap, figuring it would have to be awful to not be worth €3. As it turns out, it was very good - a collection of minicomics published by Top Shelf with a vicious streak of black humour running through them.

After enjoying the first volume, I was delighted to find out that there were a further two volumes of standard comics also published by Top Shelf. Having since picked them up on Amazon, I'm very impressed overall. There's a strong undercurrent of jet-black foul-mouthed humour here (which I'm a fan of when it's done well), but there's also a lot more to it - some very clever satires are thrown in as well, particularly in the third volume.

Daydream Lullabies: A Billy Dogma Experience

Another cheap purchase, this time facilitated by the name Dean Haspiel being on the cover. Having enjoyed other work by Haspiel in collaboration with Harvey Pekar, I found this quite fun - some interesting ideas thrown around and discussed through the device of Billy Dogma ("The last romantic antihero") and his career-driven girlfriend Jane Legit, with the spark and wackiness of the best silver-age comics.

Amulet Book 3: The Cloud Searchers

You might guess from this being the third volume of a series that I was reasonably confident of enjoying it, and you'd be right. Emily's ongoing quest as a novice Stonekeeper becomes a deeper and more involved one throughout this book, as she learns more about just how big and strange the world of the stonekeepers can be.

It's a great all-ages book, with a similar sensibility and visual guide to Kibuishi's Copper comics. I'm always happy to find a comic that I enjoy myself and could happily give to my nieces and nephews to enjoy as well.

Rasl Pocket Book One

After hearing about how good Rasl is every time I saw reviews of it, the pocket book seemed a good point to try out the series. I didn't really know anything about it going in, so I didn't realise just how much I'd enjoy it - the sci-fi conceits and complex characters involved are right up my alley, with a storytelling sensibility and visual style reminiscent of some of the weirder Love & Rockets comics.

My only issue with it is how long I'll probably have to wait for the next Pocket Book volume. That aside, it's well worth looking at.

XIII: The Day Of The Black Sun

I made an attempt to start reading XIII a few years ago when Alias Enterprises still existed and had started to reprint the series in translated form, but I never got past one issue of it (I think Alias hit problems with production schedules shortly afterwards). It's always been on my list as one of the European comics I wanted to get into, though, and now Cinebooks have started to release them in nice 48-page volumes. Considering that the comics are over 25 years old, the artwork and colouring hold up surprisingly well. The storyline itself is an intriguing mystery about an amnesiac man who appears to have connections to some sort of underground group and a high-profile assassination attempt.

Sergio Ponchione's Grotesque #4

I was delighted to see this on the shelves recently, as I had assumed Grotesque ended with #3. Being a beautiful, complexly-intertwined and surreal series of ideas and explorations of concepts like the meaning of life and the pursuit of happiness presented in a gorgeous oversized package, it's not the sort of comic I can imagine myself tiring of any time soon. I assume that this is the final issue, but at the same time I would be very happy to find out that I'm wrong.

• Advertisement

XIII: The Day Of The Black Sun

Got my own copy of XIII sitting waiting to be read in a pile along with Blacksad and Isaac Adamson's Billy Chaka novels.

----

Mostly been taking the chance to fill some gaps in my Spider-Man collection since the start JMS' run and the gap between Brand New Day 1 and Spider-Man 24/7 which I skipped ahead to for more Human Torch interaction.

Spider-Man: Brand New Day vol 2 - Apparently Peter Parker can walk out the front of an blown up meth lab of no problem. ;)

Spider-Man: Brand New Day vol 3 -
    Haven't read anything by Slott that I've disliked so far. Hope he evetually does more Great Lakes Avengers/X-Men/Initiative one day.

Spider-Man: The Other -
    I thought Marvel Knights was supposed to be for more mature stuff? How come it's an issue of ASM that has
    Spider-Man getting his eye plucked out and eaten
    ? Didn't think it was a bad end of days story for Spider-Man. Sure,
    he comes back but I don't see what Mary-Jane's beef was with letting the world know that despite being battered he'd used the last of his strength to take out Morlun and save her.

Oh hey, Doctor Strange in a JMS arc. Shocking. ;)

Can't remember if that cocoon hanging in the church window ever got resolved. Certainly didn't in The Other.

Marvel Knights Spider-Man: Wild Blue Yonder -
    Lying Wolverine cover disguises meh Superman parody. I'm sure Spider-Man has the ability to carry stories that would otherwise be horrible.

Sensational Spider-Man: Feral -
    Quite like Medina's art apart from the way he does fingers and arm muscle.

Batman & Robin: Batman Reborn -
    Quickly borrowed it while it was within arm's reach. Damien Wayne says "tt" while Grayson hates on the cape and tries to stop the machinations of Professor Pyg.

Dragon Ball Z vol 25
    Dragon Ball Z vol 26 -
    DBZ collection complete. Now to finish collecting Dr. Slump.

Blade of the Immortal 4: On Silent Wings I - This series is an ongoing battle to get the volumes before they go out of stock for me. :p You can actually watch the short anime series legally on youtube but the style does no credit to the book's art in my opinion.

boiv1p2.jpg

Advertisement