Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What comic are you reading at the moment.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Mogdonny

Reading the Dream Hunters, Gaiman and Yo****aka Amano. I'm never sure if it can be considered a true comic book, especially with the P. Craig Russell edition floating about, but it is still brilliant.

And not to stuck in the Sandman backstory so that you can't read it as a standalone

...not that you wouldn't want to read the Gaiman's original Sandman series. Incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭Ridley

Mogdonny wrote: »
    Reading the Dream Hunters, Gaiman and Yo****aka Amano. I'm never sure if it can be considered a true comic book, especially with the P. Craig Russell edition floating about, but it is still brilliant.

And not to stuck in the Sandman backstory so that you can't read it as a standalone

...not that you wouldn't want to read the Gaiman's original Sandman series. Incredible.

I dunno. Read the first Sandman volume with no real incentive to pick up the others. Although it is pointed out in the book that the first eight issues are meh.

Yo****aka Amano is filtered? Didn't even know this board HAD a filter.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Ridley wrote: »
    I dunno. Read the first Sandman volume with no real incentive to pick up the others. Although it is pointed out in the book that the first eight issues are meh.

Yo****aka Amano is filtered? Didn't even know this board HAD a filter.

I'm as amused and confused by that filtering as everyone else. Oh well.

As for Sandman, it's amazing how little first volume has to do with the rest of the series, and how poor an introduction it is to the series as a whole. It's only the last issue that really gives you any idea of what you might get with the rest of it, and even then that's not much of a hook to get people coming back. (Though I did like the rather strange Dr Destiny story, 24 Hours).

If you want to get an idea of the series as a whole, you're much better off reading the second volume. There's no guarantee that you'll enjoy it, but it's a much better fit tonally and thematically to the rest of the series so at least you could be reasonably sure that your enjoyment of the rest of the series will be commesurate with your enjoyment of volume 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Fysh wrote: »
    I'm as amused and confused by that filtering as everyone else. Oh well.

As for Sandman, it's amazing how little first volume has to do with the rest of the series, and how poor an introduction it is to the series as a whole. It's only the last issue that really gives you any idea of what you might get with the rest of it, and even then that's not much of a hook to get people coming back. (Though I did like the rather strange Dr Destiny story, 24 Hours).

If you want to get an idea of the series as a whole, you're much better off reading the second volume. There's no guarantee that you'll enjoy it, but it's a much better fit tonally and thematically to the rest of the series so at least you could be reasonably sure that your enjoyment of the rest of the series will be commesurate with your enjoyment of volume 2.

i actually got the first 2 trades for christmas! i'm currently half way through the 1st (4 issues in) it's good but not great so far. i like it, but in a sunday afternoon light reading kind of way. certainly not something i would read if i had a new trade of Jonah Hex, Booster Gold or The Question lying around. but based on what you say, i might sludge through it in the hopes that it picks up in "The Dolls House"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Just finished Guy Delisle's Pyongyang - A Journey in North Korea. Funny and depressing, as expected. Not as detailed as say, Sacco's work but very much a page turner all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 kevincaz

Well i've moved on a bit from the Batman , Watchman novels

Really getting sucked into The Punisher Max series

Also going to start Preacher soon, heard good things.

Any other suggestions?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

kevincaz wrote: »

Any other suggestions?

Enjoy Preacher, you are in for a treat.

I'd recommend The Invisibles as a worthy read.

kevincaz wrote: »

Any other suggestions?

100 Bullets, 100 Bullets, 100 Bullets, 100 Bullets, 100 Bullets.

Ultimatum - Picked it up despite its reputation because I wanted to continue on with the Ultimates now that Millar's back and figured I needed a more recent referral point for what went before since I have zero memory of Ultimates 3 apart from the Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver's... hrm. Plus my Ultimate Fantastic Four hardcover collection is volume four, X-Men at two and Spider-Man at still at one.

Best criticism I've read is "Jeph 'I ruined Ultimates' Loeb". wink.gif It's an example of book carried only by its art cause the plot is thin, has "your father, the king" dialogue, Radioactive Man and Fallout Boy die on every page, heroes that embrace murder and a reference to The Dark Knight which felt suspiciously like Loeb patting himself on the back for The Long Halloween to me.

I did like
    Wolverine's skeleton stabbing Magneto
    though even if it did require suspension of disbelief. If the story means that he
    (Ultimate Wolvie)
    never gets brought back then it makes the book worthwhile.

Ultimate Comics Avengers 1: Next Generation
    Ultimate Comics Avengers 2: Crime and Punishment

Hooray Millar's back! tongue.gif Nothing on his Ultimates stuff but it's readable. I appreciate the effort with variations from the regular universe (unlike, say, Bendis
    making mutants a product of science
    ) but Red Skull being
    Captain's America's illegitimate son
    felt like one callback to
    Gail Richards
    too many for me. She's already
    Mrs. Bucky
    . If she turns out to be related to Reed one. Ugh. Don't care for
    Nick Fury having plowing through the Chang family
    either but that's just something that makes me dislike the character.

Ultimate Ghost Rider has a more palatable version of his story for me and I like the look of
    human Satan
    but I'm not a fan of mixing and matching real-word figures like
    Obama
    (who is white in a panel for some reason) with fictional
    staff members in a prominent position
    when the real one could be found out with Google. Obviously I'm not suggesting
    the real vice-president
    be used in a situation like that but there's something about
    being asked to accept real people as the same
    when events around them are different that irks me. What's so different in the Marvel Universe that
    Obama
    who for all intents and purposes is the same as in real-life would pick
    a devil worshipper for his staff
    rather than
    Joe Biden
    ? If that makes any sense.

XIII - Day of the Black Sun
    Naruto 50

Astro Boy Books 1 & 2 - Hit and miss, really. It's pretty much a 1930's action serial of varying quality. Tezuka's the father of manga and all that but I don't think I'll bother picking up the third book. Really liked the first story "The Hot Dog Corps" up until the revelation I'd luckily forgotten that the author's intro gives away.

Saw clips of the CGI Astro Boy movie the other day and thought it adapted the origin quite well before getting lame. Basically in a future Japan (at least it was) where humans and robots co-exist, Doctor Tenma builds Astro Boy, a replica of his son Tobio who was killed in a car crash. However Tenma disowns Astro when he realises his creation can never grow old.

Problem with the book is the inconsistency which is pulled from various years. That origin tale has Astro Boy removed of his human clothes but once he's adopted he sticks to his traditional black trunks and red boots. Couple of stories later, he wearing clothes and has a robot family? confused.gif

One story has the plot point of
    masked Deadcross
    wants to
    usurp the robot president Rag
    so he
    kidnaps him, removes his robot brain and replace
    it with
    one that will follow his commands. Namely going on TV and give Deadcross power
    Astro Boy finds
    Rag's shell and using Rag's body Astro goes on TV and reveals Deadcross's plot. Eventually Deadcross is discovered to have the same face as Rag.
    So why didn't he
    go on TV himself as Rag instead of replacing the man's brain?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 pole drift

I finished reading watchmen. I think it really catches your attention and is easy to follow.

Im reading V for Vendetta now, its good, but the images are difficult to understand

• Advertisement

got a lot of stuff online in recent days. slowly working my way through
    Batman: life after death,
    Supergirl: death and the family,
    JSA All Stars: Constellations,
    Judge Dredd: the complete case files vol.1,
    Jonah Hex: Guns of vengeance and...
    Birds of Prey: Old friends, New enemies

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Bistoman

The Walking Dead
    Brightest day
    Batman-Heart of Hush
    2000AD

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Haven't bought a comic in years, but picked up the first issue of 'League of Volunteers' in SubCity during the week (after I read about it in the Irish Times).

I thought it was quite good... shades of Indiana Jones, Hellboy etc.

Haven't bought a comic in years, but picked up the first issue of 'League of Volunteers' in SubCity during the week (after I read about it in the Irish Times).

I thought it was quite good... shades of Indiana Jones, Hellboy etc.

I spoke to the guy in Sub-City last week. he said the first trade will come out when they have 3 issues done, and will move onto longer storylines in time. i'll check it out then

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭rgiller

Just finished the whole Preacher series and have also read the Boys recently, so I was looking for some more Garth Ennis stuff to read. I started Just a Pilgrim but it's not that good so far. I guess the bar has been set quite high by Preacher. Any suggestions?

rgiller wrote: »
    Just finished the whole Preacher series and have also read the Boys recently, so I was looking for some more Garth Ennis stuff to read. I started Just a Pilgrim but it's not that good so far. I guess the bar has been set quite high by Preacher. Any suggestions?

Hellblazer: Dangerous Habits is (I think) his first story with John Constantine. it's a 6 issue trade that was the clear inspiration for the 2005 film while at the same time, immensely better (and i'm speaking as someone who really liked that film)
    highly reccomended :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I would really suggest leaving a gap between reading Preacher and the Ennis/Dillon run on Hellblazer. I quite liked their run overall, but there are a lot of similarities to Preacher which, IMO, work against it. In saying that, the Heartland one-shot that served as an epilogue to the whole run was one of the finest comics I've ever read in terms of character work.

I'd suggest checking out Dicks or True Faith, myself - both are excellent examples of Ennis at his best. Hitman's also supposed to be very good, though I've not read it so I couldn't say for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Saw a picture online from a comic and found it funny, so decided to start reading it.

Started on deadpool myself because I love the character, would really love to find somewhere to get all the comics, even if I have to buy them!

Going to london friday so will hopefully find myself a comic book store and make some purchases :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 fiasco9661

Go to Forbidden Planet in Covent Garden. Was there before Xmas and thought it was amazing! Any Comic/Sci-fi fan would love it.It's Huge with lots of merchandise and figures. :D Got The Punisher and Spiderman books from the Marvel Noir Series and was quite dissapointed.The Punisher one was good but both very short.:(

By the way, has anybody any Batman, Spiderman or X:men book reccomendations? Thinking about Batman: Hush.....

• Advertisement

fiasco9661 wrote: »
    By the way, has anybody any Batman, Spiderman or X:men book reccomendations? Thinking about Batman: Hush.....
    Hush is great, The Dark Knight is well worth checking out.
    I quite liked Gotham By gaslight, and a Death in the Family .
    For wolverine I would strongly recommend Old Man Logan, ends a bit quick, But great fun getting there.
    Never been a Big Fan of Spider-Man, But for a great look at the Marvel Universe, Get Your hands on Civil war, and the surrounding story's on Civil War, It will keep You entertained for Weeks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

This; it's from around the time that Korea/Japan hosted the World Cup. Informative and amusing.

korean-unmasked.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

For X-Men start of with the Essentials.

Essential X-Men Vol 1 starts off when they really became popular and over the next few volumes features a lot of the classic Claremont/Byrne storylines and they are fairly cheap too. From recent stuff check out the Age of Apocalypse

Actually it's not that recent....15 years old:eek:

Check out Ultimate X-Men too...a lot of new readers seem to find jumping into that easier.

Spider-man, I would recommend the Essential Volumes too. The cheesy Stan Lee writing is pretty bearable. I also recommend the Venom storyline and the Introduction of Ezekiel.

Blade of the Immortal 8: The Gathering - Problem with this series knowing the next book is called The Gathering Part II. wink.gif

Asterix and Obelix's Birthday: The Golden Book - Falling Sky mirrored the cover to the first book, this one has Golden in the title like the second book so I predict the next book will be called Asterix Goes Emo. Thankfully this one is much better than Falling Sky. Didn't particularly like it when All At Sea pulled out
    Atlantis and Obelix the statue (you tasted the potion in Cleopatra dangit)
    so
    aliens
    in Falling Sky DO NOT WANT by Toutatis! Plus I didn't think it was particularly subtle or and at this point in the game I think each book could be the last so the threat that it could have been that was unpleasant.

Anyway, Golden Book is an anthology of stories surrounding Asterix and Obelix. A large part of me likes it because it isn't Falling Sky but there's some nice idea in there and being wrapped around a central theme benefits it better than the last collection of short stories (Class Act). There's something about pages of text in comics that puts me off even though I read 'proper' books.

Dr. Slump 12
    Dr. Slump 13
    Dr. Slump 14
    Dr. Slump 15
    Dr. Slump 16
    Dr. Slump 17
    Dr. Slump 18

Akira Toriyama's pre-Dragon Ball success. Mostly I've found it to be okay but around 13 - 16 the stories were really enjoyable. The ones more focusing on characters who aren't Arale Norimaki (the main character) like back when
    Senbei "Dr. Slump" Norimaki was practicing proposing to Midori unaware she was out of the room aswell and she screams yes through the toilet door when he's walking past
    . Wish Toriyama had done more of those in retrospect. And his fourth wall breakage. Those are the ones I'll miss. Nice to see the influences that would carry over into Dragon Ball aswell. One character's design is just Master Roshi without the sunglasses and a star on his forehead. I also confirmed my suspicions that
    General Blue
    was implicated to be a paedophile with his infatuation with Obotchaman. Obotchaman's
    an android that is technically around 17 at that point but physically he's a thirteen year old boy
    . Which is an unfortunate implication when coupled with
    Blue's homosexuality
    . The Dragon Ball anime dub's censorship makes it worse by having
    Blue claim Obotchaman looks like his little brother "Samuel".
    tongue.gif

Still had to put up with Toriyama's fixation with poop and pervert humour that I'll never understand but I confess I did laugh out loud (at 4:00am) when
    Senbei, turned into a fly, decides to crawl into his sleeping wife's underwear for a peek when she just flips from back to stomach in one panel
    with the little *splut* sound effect.

Bistoman wrote: »
    Hush is great, The Dark Knight is well worth checking out.
    I quite liked Gotham By gaslight, and a Death in the Family .
    For wolverine I would strongly recommend Old Man Logan, ends a bit quick, But great fun getting there.
    Never been a Big Fan of Spider-Man, But for a great look at the Marvel Universe, Get Your hands on Civil war, and the surrounding story's on Civil War, It will keep You entertained for Weeks.

I've read Civil war and The dak knight returns and Enjoyed them alot both.Gotham by Gaslight sounds good as I also read alot of Holmes stories. I'm actually reading Batman R.I.P. at the moment and enjoying it alot though I was quite confused at the start, and the joker's parts are cool...By the way, how cool would a Sherlock Holmes series of graphic novels be?

Turtyturd wrote: »
    For X-Men start of with the Essentials.

Essential X-Men Vol 1 starts off when they really became popular and over the next few volumes features a lot of the classic Claremont/Byrne storylines and they are fairly cheap too. From recent stuff check out the Age of Apocalypse

Actually it's not that recent....15 years old:eek:

Check out Ultimate X-Men too...a lot of new readers seem to find jumping into that easier.

Spider-man, I would recommend the Essential Volumes too. The cheesy Stan Lee writing is pretty bearable. I also recommend the Venom storyline and the Introduction of Ezekiel.

I have X-men first class vol 1 and Age of Apocalypse vol 4. I was EXTREMELY confused during trying to read that and thought there was a huge amount of characters. I love a good spiderman but unfortunately, there's no local comic book shop in tralee! And Easons only sell Spectacular Spiderman which i hate!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I have X-men first class vol 1 and Age of Apocalypse vol 4. I was EXTREMELY confused during trying to read that and thought there was a huge amount of characters. I love a good spiderman but unfortunately, there's no local comic book shop in tralee! And Easons only sell Spectacular Spiderman which i hate!

Start with AOA vol 1...it will make more sense ;) ...Amazon is probably the way to go if you have no decent comic shop nearby. Another Spider-man story I would recommend is Spider-man Marvel Knights by Mark Millar and Terry Dodson...nothing ground breaking but it is really enjoyable.

You should look out for "Troubled Souls" Garth's first big apearence, set agenst the troubles of the 80's in Belfast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 576 ✭✭✭sarsfieldsrock

Hitman seems the obvious choice after reading that lot.
    Some shorter stuff would be 303 or the individual Battlefields stories.
    These and Battler Britain I found good.
    Crossed was quite good but completely differnt to the above lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

I'm up to number 5 of The Walking Dead. Really enjoying it right now.

I also picked up Niven and McMiller's Nemesis...really unimpressed. I flogged it on eBay as soon as i finished it.

Advertisement