Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What comic are you reading at the moment.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

I read "War of the Supermen" yesterday. it brings to a close the (2 year!) New Krypton saga and was really quite disappointing, especially following the much better "Last stand of New Krypton"

here be spoilers.
    The book is far too short and doesn't have any sense of a culmination of storylines or that epic feel that Sinestro Corps War had. It seems that this last volume was rushed through to return the superman books to the status quo as quickly as possible. thus, New Krypton gets blown up without any warning or forshadowing (or explanation). characters who had been built up since 2008 were just killed off at leisure and for no reason.
    Kal El doesn't actually do anything in the book, instead it's Connor (Superboy) who saves the day.
    The big Guardian versus Codename: Assasin confrontation only lasts about three panels.
    The big General Zod versus General Lane confrontation never happens!

overall, very weak considering that THIS is the story they had been building up to for 2 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭eco2live

Just starting Sandman for first time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

fiasco9661 wrote: »
    Go to Forbidden Planet in Covent Garden. Was there before Xmas and thought it was amazing! Any Comic/Sci-fi fan would love it.It's Huge with lots of merchandise and figures. :D Got The Punisher and Spiderman books from the Marvel Noir Series and was quite dissapointed.The Punisher one was good but both very short.:(
    Meant to reply to you mate,

went to Forbidden Planet after seeing this, got Batman - The Dark Knight Returns, and The Dark Knight Strikes Again...

Read them both and loved them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 kristy01

simu wrote: »
    I bought "Summer Blonde" by Adrian Tomine yesterday. It's pretty cool - similar to Daniel Clowes' stuff.
    I am too reading that same comic book lol!

I like it's storyline, which are pretty enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    went to Forbidden Planet after seeing this, got Batman - The Dark Knight Returns, and The Dark Knight Strikes Again...

Read them both and loved them!

Is the Dark Knight Strikes Again that good?

I just read TDKR, Long Halloween, Killing Joke, Year One, and Arkham Asylum and I'm wondering what to read next, I have a felling that it'll be no where near TDKR. Kinda seems like a horrible sequel similar to films.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Currently reading deathnote , first book that made me stop playing videogames.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Masked Man wrote: »
    Is the Dark Knight Strikes Again that good?

The Dark Knight Strikes Again is a divisive book - a lot of folks seem to like it, but equally a lot of people (including me) dislike it vehemently.

Personally, the things that I dislike about it are the shift in tone and the changed approach in the artwork. Miller admits to having made an effort to make the tone less over-the-top-gritty than it was in DKR, as a reaction to the overall shift to grim & gritty comics in the aftermath of DKR's success, but after reading it I felt that DKSA's lighter tone coupled with the wider range of full-on superheroes featured in the story just didn't work very well compared to DKR's more grounded, thoughtful and somewhat dark tone. The colouring in DKSA was done digitally, and while I appreciate the experimentation I just don't think it worked at all, certainly not in comparison to DKR.

Of course, all of this is opinion and there are plenty of folks who loved DKSA, so take my comments with a pinch of salt. The main thing is to be aware that you're unlikely to find the exact same set of elements in DKSA that you found in DKR.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭johnnyivan

Star Lord of 1977. It really was superior to the comic which soon absorbed it: 2000ad.

Pat Mills' writing on Ro-Busters is terrific - very reminiscent of his other classic strip, Charley's War.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭Ridley

Fysh wrote: »
    The Dark Knight Strikes Again is a divisive book - a lot of folks seem to like it, but equally a lot of people (including me) dislike it vehemently.

Personally, the things that I dislike about it are the shift in tone and the changed approach in the artwork. Miller admits to having made an effort to make the tone less over-the-top-gritty than it was in DKR, as a reaction to the overall shift to grim & gritty comics in the aftermath of DKR's success, but after reading it I felt that DKSA's lighter tone coupled with the wider range of full-on superheroes featured in the story just didn't work very well compared to DKR's more grounded, thoughtful and somewhat dark tone. The colouring in DKSA was done digitally, and while I appreciate the experimentation I just don't think it worked at all, certainly not in comparison to DKR.

Of course, all of this is opinion and there are plenty of folks who loved DKSA, so take my comments with a pinch of salt. The main thing is to be aware that you're unlikely to find the exact same set of elements in DKSA that you found in DKR.

I've got no problem with the colours but I don't like DKSA because it's a Justice League story when I paid for a Batman title. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Chaim

Dear Guys I am reading the The best Comic book in my view which is named as"The Adventures of Evil and Malice" . which is th full of comic .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭TheEscapist

Just about to start Blankets by Craig Thompson, I'm thinking it'll be a change of pace from all the Hellblazer I've been reading lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭uprooted tradition

I am reading the civil war comics at the mo. Terrific stuff.

Halfway through Sandman and it is fantastic. I'd read a fraction of it previously but didn't really like it but from start to er-middle it is brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭smokingman

Just finished book 5 of "The Boys" by Garth Ennis.
    Still think I prefer Preacher so far but as long as he doesn't introduce a mini-story (the hicks coming across the "beautiful people" in the swamp) in the middle, I'll be happy. Always thought he should have removed that bit from Preacher.

Still though, The Boys is a hell of a lot of fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Just finished Arkham asylum - madness and Batman - battle for the cowl.

I have got Batman - no mans land to read, as well as The Cobblers Monster to get stuck into.

Anyone got any good recommendations, preferably superheroish, but I wouldn't mind non superhero ones either!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

smokingman wrote: »
    Just finished book 5 of "The Boys" by Garth Ennis.
    Still think I prefer Preacher so far but as long as he doesn't introduce a mini-story (the hicks coming across the "beautiful people" in the swamp) in the middle, I'll be happy. Always thought he should have removed that bit from Preacher.

Still though, The Boys is a hell of a lot of fun.

As far as I know most of the stories collected in the Ancient History collection were originally done as "Preacher Special" spin-offs - so not exactly required reading, but more about filling in the histories of secondary characters...I'm inclined to agree, though - the Saint Of Killers' background wasn't a bad story (it would've been pretty good, bar the bits set in Hell), but most of the Ancient History stories weren't particularly good.

The Boys has also had at least two spin-offs that I know of - Herogasm and Highland Laddie - and there's been some sort of announcement about what may be a third - The Butcher, The Baker, The Candlestick Maker. I'm not reading it so I don't know whether they're central to the overall storyline or just fleshing out background characters, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

Just starting the X-Men Messiah Complex arc. Two issues in. Really liking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭smokingman

Fysh wrote: »
    As far as I know most of the stories collected in the Ancient History collection were originally done as "Preacher Special" spin-offs - so not exactly required reading, but more about filling in the histories of secondary characters...I'm inclined to agree, though - the Saint Of Killers' background wasn't a bad story (it would've been pretty good, bar the bits set in Hell), but most of the Ancient History stories weren't particularly good.

The Boys has also had at least two spin-offs that I know of - Herogasm and Highland Laddie - and there's been some sort of announcement about what may be a third - The Butcher, The Baker, The Candlestick Maker. I'm not reading it so I don't know whether they're central to the overall storyline or just fleshing out background characters, though.

I tend to wait to get the final "all encompasing" editions when I like a new series. As a result, I never notice if the collection contains spin-offs from the original print runs that I wouldn't have seen. I really need to get a bit hipper'n'quicker with my comic choices :rolleyes::D

el dude wrote: »
    Just starting the X-Men Messiah Complex arc. Two issues in. Really liking it.

is this any good? iv'e been meaning to get it at some stage. what kind of prior reading is necessary beforehand, if any?

I just read "the road to Civil war" the Illuminati story is quite good, the Fantastic four 2-parter is okay but i don't see the reason it was included, other than to say
    Thor's hammer is back
    . the spider-man 3-parter tie in is very good but really makes you dislike tony stark.

Just picked up today absolute justice , cant wait to sick endless hours into it ;)

• Advertisement

Just picked up today absolute justice , cant wait to sick endless hours into it ;)

stupid question, is there a book called absolute juistice, or it an absolute edition of the Justice by...um...Waid(?)i recall hearing the name absolute justice somewhere before bt just can't recall where

• Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭Ridley

is this any good? iv'e been meaning to get it at some stage. what kind of prior reading is necessary beforehand, if any?

I didn't have a problem with it and I only got the book for the X-Factor issues. If you know who the main players are and what the Decimation was you should be fine.

Personally I think it's meh. X-friend called it Baby's Day Out which is fairly accurate and didn't make me think the revelations were worth following up in other books.

stupid question, is there a book called absolute juistice, or it an absolute edition of the Justice by...um...Waid(?)i recall hearing the name absolute justice somewhere before bt just can't recall where

First off not a question ;), secondly yes its a absolute edition of justice comics

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justice_(DC_Comics)

justice_1_1280x1024.jpg

Love alex ross artwork

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭sir snackbox

I just read "the road to Civil war" ... but really makes you dislike tony stark.

yeah i read all of the civil war stuff, like all the tie ins n all (took ages haha) and loved it but you do end up hating tony stark by the end of it.

im currently lapping up The Walking Dead, i cant get enough of it and im on 4 or 5 volumes in!

Just starting Scalped, heard good things about it but I believe it takes a while to really suck you in. Suppose I'll find out soon.

First off not a question ;)

:confused:

Some Bendis, Jinx and Daredevil - excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,596 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Been reading a lot of Batman stuff lately. Battle for the cowl, Batman and Robin - Batman Reborn, Batman - Life after Death, Red Robin - The Grail, The Return of Bruce Wayne. Excellent stuff.

Really liked Red Robin. Probably going to pick up some more of that next.

Barrington wrote: »
    Been reading a lot of Batman stuff lately. Battle for the cowl, Batman and Robin - Batman Reborn, Batman - Life after Death, Red Robin - The Grail, The Return of Bruce Wayne. Excellent stuff.

Really liked Red Robin. Probably going to pick up some more of that next.

you should definitely check out "collision" the second Red Robin trade. it's pretty much a continuation of the story and has some great moments. RR is probably the best of the bat books IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭Flojo

Currently reading Freakangels, The Walking Dead, Sandman and Transmetropolition. Want to start on Preacher, Locke and Key, House of Mystery and Fables soon enough. :)

Advertisement