Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What comic are you reading at the moment.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

I would recommend The Cobblers Monster, I must say I enjoyed it alot.

Recently got all of Deadpools comics, and the Walking dead, so plan on getting stuck into them both, should be a while before I finish them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭Ridley

Star Wars: Dark Times 4: Blue Harvest

What's Michael 10: Sleepless Nights -
    Wish the book wasn't so thin as I was entertained on what was pretty much an impulse purchase. Basically an anthology of very short stories about a cat called Michael who does things. Kinda hard to explain.

Deadpool: Suicide Kings
    Deadpool 3: X Marks the Spot
    Spider-Man: Election Day

Fantastic Four 3: Future Foundation -
    Seems back on track for Hickman's story arc after the previous volume's filler.

Dragon Ball 1
    Dragon Ball 2
    Dragon Ball 3 - Got the VizBig editions so I'm through to volume 9 of the original collections. Basically getting around to owning the story I mostly know inside out already and collecting Toriyama's art. The VizBig editions are better quality paper, bigger pages and have some of the original coloured pages but for some reason they're not all done so the certain pages that should be coloured are greyscale. Tempted to get the DBZ sets too even though I have the original 26 already. With the format I might try out other titles under the banner aswell.

Street Fighter: The Comic: The Ultimate Edition: The Complete First Series (Capcom wink.gif) - Surprised I enjoyed it as much as I did and I'm eager to get the second collection as soon as possible. Shame They decided to use the Evil/Dark Hadou Ryu blended with the background on the cover as the second and third use Ken and Chun-Li in their traditional attire so it would have been nice for the first set to be white instead of black. Although googling it seems there might be version of it.

SFultedition_CVR1-100x150.jpgSFIIultedition_CVR-100x150.jpgimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcSko35ue01ZN93rUuaULVeCTnJFDu6czPI59oFdgS0WWr_fB0NSimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcSVig_OiFwGQ9cqHi66rCLVVX2AkY6aBC16Z68gfa7LdfPGmt6zgg

Meh, Ken's the better character anyway.
    wink.gif

The stories tend to weave in and out of each other quite nicely.
    Ryu wants to get Akuma
    Shadaloo wants Ryu
    Chun-Li/Guild want to take down Shadaloo

I'd trade so much darn Cammy for Dan personally, especially when she's hanging around a laughable version of London which seems to have a population of around six people, and want to see the actual tournament from the games but I think I might actually prefer the book to the animated movie. Appreciate the name checks too. Wouldn't have thought They'd bother with any of the non-recurring characters from the original Street Fighter but there they are.

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz - Shanower and Young's adaptation of the original novel. Big on Young's art so I plan on getting the follow ups (plus I have a curiosity of what happens next compared to that Return to Oz movie). Love his Scarecrow and the Tin (woods)man with legs that realistically couldn't hold up his body.

scarecrow.jpg

Bit awkward sequentially near the start with Aunt Em last being seen in the house before the cyclone carries it off. Funnily enough, my issues are mostly with the original plot. Not that I'd want it changed for the adaptation, I just find the predilection for monarchies and
    Dorothy waving away her damage to the china town
    a bit suspect and, having not read the book, I call shenanigans on the decision to have the Cowardly Lion,
    now with courage, decapitating the giant spider in its sleep and remarking how "it's easier to fight it asleep than awake."
    Yep, that's cowardly, all right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Read the 2nd and 3rd issues of Tony Moore's new Venom there, it's good stuff. Moore has made Venom fresh again, Marvel have actually been doing interesting things with the character for a few years now.
    Flash
    makes for an interesting host, given his relationship with
    Spidey
    . I must track down issue 1!

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭TheEscapist

Just finished Goldfish by Bendis and just 2 trades left on Ex Machina.

Goldfish was brilliant, Bendis is such a talented writer, dialogue in particular.

Really enjoying Ex Machina but looking forward to finishing it now. Not a fan of Tony Harris' style but a very good series nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Richv1

260577_215571785142555_213753245324409_675121_8020853_n.jpg
    The Dark Muse # 1 - Birth
    Publisher: Norman J. Wilson
    Creator/Author/Artistic Photographer: Norman J. Wilson
    Creative Director/Partner/Make-up: Melanie Richards
    Make-up: Michelle Parezanovic
    Technical Assistant: Chriss Duncan
    Cast:
    Victim # 3, Melpomene, The Dark Muse: Kat Krawczuk
    The Vampire Queen: Paulina
    The Young Vampire: Jennifer McElmon
    The Doll: "Cecilia" by Jacqui Gallant
    The Punished One: Michelle Parezanovic
    Coven Vixen # 1: Emily Hill
    Coven Vixen # 2: Nicki Dennis
    Victim # 1: Vanessa Roodzant
    Victim # 2: Amanda Eagles
    Price: $ 4.00 Can to download
    Rating: 4 out of 5 stars

darkmuse.jpg
    Comments: The photo style art right away captivates your attention. We see in photos some beautiful young women. From the way they are acting you can feel the tension. There is something wrong here. The build up starts as you read and follow along in photos you begin to feel their fear.
    Vicki is shown beautifully as a lovely and sexy victim. The setting as we see her is breathtaking. A vision of beauty but also one of horror.
    The way colors are blended with the real photos gives this comic a unique look.
    Evelyn one of the vampires is shown feeding and it is a gruesome sight. The wound she has on her face is a colorful gory mess. She is a fright to behold.
    A spell check was needed for this comic.
    The Queen vampire has a sexy deadly presence. All in black she presents an ominous presence.
    Katie now there is definitely something off about her. She has changed. Melpomene, The Dark Muse now stands revealed for all to see. She has a mission and nothing will stop her.
    The darkness of this comic comes through easily. If you love vampires and a high sense of evil with some hope mixed in you'll love this comic. And of course a touch of the erotic. The characters all stand out and will have you following their every word and move.
    The artistic art style though is what really makes this comic stand out. Its different and new and wonderfully to see.

Richard Vasseur
    www.jazmaonline.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Mr. K wrote: »
    Read the 2nd and 3rd issues of Tony Moore's new Venom there, it's good stuff.

I just noticed that my post implied that Tony Moore was writing the Venom series, he's actually the artist. Rick Remender is writing it. Issue 4 was great too and it's going to tie in tightly to events in Amazing Spider-Man in the coming months.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭HereticPrincess

Just read the most recent Invincible.

Mind. Blown. As usual :)

Incredible!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,596 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Read Avengers Volume 2 (2010 I think, with Red Hulk) and finally got round to reading Batman: Year One. Enjoyed them both. Year One was fantastic though, a great read. Looking forward to the animated movie of it

Street Fighter II: The Comic: The Ultimate Edition: The Complete Second and Third Series (Capcom ;)) - Got the tournament I wanted. More of the same and that ain't a bad thing.

Star Wars: Invasion - Refugees - Re-read.

Star Wars: Invasion - Rescues - Didn't care for the developments that were too similar to revelations in the novels the comics weave around
    (forbidden love between castes and lone Jedi with ability to sense Yuuzhan Vong/aliens)
    but I think Tom Taylor's Star Wars stories are worth reading and the book has a nice surprise of its own.

Star Wars: Blood Ties - Jango and Boba Fett - Shame Dark Horse never ran with the book as a series. Actions in Jango Fett's past effect his clone son Boba some twenty years later. Was expecing more Jango but it's a fun story with dark humour.

Star Wars Adventures: Boba Fett and the Ship of Fear - Fan of Daxiong's art but I'm struggling to recall anything about the story.

Aliens vs. Predator: Three World War - Don't think it explained the red ant/termite xenomorph variation but meh, it didn't need to. Prefer it that way and we know about the xenomorph taking the form of its host. Thought Randy Stradley was better at AVP stories over his Star Wars tales until it was revealed he's the author of the SW: Dark Times series. The lady that inspired the character in the first AVP movie returns to help take on a clique of hunters that don't play by the usual rules. Aliens vs Predator it ain't, and I gravitate toward this stuff for the xenomorph which wasn't portrayed at its best there.

Naruto 51
    Dragon Ball 4
    (VizBig edition)
    Ultimate Fantastic Four 5 (hardcover)

Jurassic Park: Redemption - Sucked. Subpar pseudo-sequel story with inappropriate art and deceptive Frank Miller cover with a Spinosaurus. Or maybe it was on every page since the dinosaurs have the same head. I can understand if they didn't have the permissions required to use the (human ;)) actors' faces but they look nothing like those from the movies. An exception can be made for
    Peter Ludlow (even though he should be dead)
    as there's a reason for looking like Arseface but there's no excuse for
    Alan Grant being well built, tall and sporting glasses
    thirteen years after the first film. Tim and Lex Murphy are now sporting fantastic peach coloured hair.

Better overview than mine.

Jurassic Park: Devils in the Desert - Much better offering from John Byrne. Techincally no dinosaurs at all
    (it's all about the pterosaurs)
    and the covers are a little misleading in that regard but they're all drawn from the perspective of the animal's mouth. Some time after JP3, cattle mutilations have the locals worried. Simplistic story but fun.

Batman and Robin: Batman Must Die! - Oogle boogle Grant Morrison blip blop bleep. tongue.gif

Brightest Day vol. 2 - Enjoyed the Deadman sections, but this part of the story was largely focused on Hawkman and Martian Manhunter. Don't care about them at all.

The Walking Dead Compendium 1
    The Walking Dead 9
    The Walking Dead 10
    The Walking Dead 11 - Saw the TV series first. The comic moves at a faster pace but they're distinct enough to be enjoyed equally. Seems the show is taking on and rearranging the bits they like. Kinda reminds me of the approach to the 90's Spider-Man cartoon so I'm assuming
    Merle lost his hand so Rick doesn't have to.
    Shame they have that spoiler on the cover of the compendium... Think I'm down to one character who I actually like now in the comic but thanks to the set-up of the show I wasn't ahead of the plot. More like an alternative path.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 wolferine

X-Men, Avengers & Thunderbolts. Just realised how loyal I am to Marvel lol!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

ASM is the only one I'm reading. Occassionly pick up the odd trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 jensennhook

I'm currently hooked up in manga,I am reading now Fushigi Yuugi: Genbu Kaiden combination of action, comedy and love story.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Bistoman

Liking the New 52 at the moment, Action and Detective started very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

got about 4 hellblazer trades and blew through them, excellent stuff considering it's from about three separate runs.

Good Intentions
    Freezes Over
    The Laughing Magician
    Bloody Carnations

I also picked up a bag of 10 old Booster Gold comics and 14 old Guy Gardner comics from the 80's and 90's in the back of a comic shop sweet :D

Marvelous Land of Oz - Can't really get into Baum's writing. Hard to root for the protagonist when he treats his companions like dirt. Love the Scarecrow's sewn on crown.

Siege: Mighty Avengers - The Siege of Asgard is firmly in the background for an
    Ultron
    story. I'm gonna miss Slott's nutty Hank Pym.

Siege: Dark Avengers - Gonna miss nutty Norman Osborn aswell. Not one that can be read comfortably without the main Siege book since there's a gaping hole between the last two issues where the fighting takes place and where
    Sentry's story ends

Siege: New Avengers - There's a big gaping hole here where Siege doesn't happen. ;) Fine for me since I was collecting the trades anyway but the Siege takes a backseat to Ronin's issues with Osborn and The Hood's role in events.

(New) New Avengers 1 - Still burnt out on the frequency of Doctor Strange's JMS Spider-Man appearances to not groan when he turns up.

Adjectiveless Avengers 1 - Time bending adventure. Always a fan of time travel stories.

Ultimate Avengers 3: Blade vs the Avengers - Meh. Can't get into Dillon's non-Preacher art cause it's all a bit samey to me. Not Millar's best either.
    The new Daredevil is just a character clone of the original put back in the red and yellow suit
    . Did like the
    Twilight parody
    though. Link (spoilers)

Avengers Thunderbolts: Cage - Happy to stick with Thunderbolts after the restructuring of the team. USAgent out of the suit looks similar to the Great Lake Avengers' Flatman. And that's enough Avengers for one post. ;)

Essential Fantastic Four 7
    - Must have been reading this on and over for at least two years. Good to see the first appearance of Jamie Madrox and how similar the character still is. Bit surprised at the issue dropping in his birthday (September 7, 1953) considering the passage of time in the Marvel Universe. Might be because I'm biased toward the Human Torch but the Madrox appearance and the last couple of issues dealing with some Torch continuity gave me the itch to speed through them.

Green Lantern: Brightest Day - Plenty of Larfleeze? Good, good. Keep it up. tongue.gif "
    I want to be queen!
    " Doesn't seem to be much connection between the GL:BD's story and Brightest Day's.

The Walking Dead 12 - Still enjoying it. Should have mentioned last time that Rick Grimes' tic seemed to have been phased out quickly. The one which makes him feel the need to call people 'man' back within a couple of panels of someone saying it toward him. Ah nobody reads these posts anyway.

Star Wars: Knight Errant: Aflame - Set during the Dark Age about a millennium before Phantom Menace when the Sith have a strong presence in the galaxy, everything's going wrong for the Republic and it's a couple of decades away from pulling itself out of it. That's why I wanted to read it but Daiman's introduction is what won me over.

Star Wars: The Thrawn Trilogy - Adaptations of the novels. Nice to get some visuals but it's dialogue-heavy for a comic at times. Better off with the novels.

The Guild - Prequel of the web series. It's alright. Been a while since I've seen the first season but I don't think Zaboo's penchant for adjectiving was so heavy.

Empowered 1 - Very self-aware comic lampooning the treatment of female superheroes (one panel seeing Emp – a superhero who loses her already fickle powers the more her thin, skintight supersuit is ripped – posing in front of a fridge while she takes out a cheesecake before the chapter descends into her fanfic make-out session between her two male colleagues of whom one has a cinder block for a head) which, erm, I found out about through "The Big Sexy Problem with Superheroines and Their 'Liberated Sexuality'" article at Comics Alliance. Ahem. Not quite what I was expecting with a series a four or so page chapters but the second volume I bought at the same time claims the stories will be longer.

Cigars of the Pharaoh - It'll take a while for Tintin to find his groove. ;)

Pyongyang: A Journey in North Korea - Funny if ultimately depressing account by Guy Delisle of his time spent working as an animator across the 38th parallel.

Shenzhen: A Travelogue From China - Thought it was the follow-up but googling I see it came first. Not as good as Pyongyang, I thought, simply because Shenzhen doesn't seem to be as interesting as kerazy North Korea. I imagine I'll fare better with his adventures in Burma.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Hmm, month 2 of the DC relaunch has been a bit wobbly for me.

I'd picked up Action Comics #1 and quite enjoyed it, as Superman stories go. Basically Young Superman done with a Peter Parker approach to Clark Kent's personal life.

Action Comics #2, however, was a bit rubbish IMO. A remarkable amount of nothing much happening (with some clunky moving-into-place of pieces that will be relevant in future storylines), and only 20 pages of comics despite the $3.99 price tag. Oh, but it's alright, because we got some backmatter of Morrison & Morales showing us some design sketches etc :rolleyes: So much for that one.

Demon Knights #2 was pretty good, building on the events of #1 and continuing with the humour that made it enjoyable. So far, so good, though I have the feeling this title won't last particularly long for some reason...

Batwoman #2 was more of what I want/expect from a J H Williams III comic ie bloody lovely. I may bail on this after a while but it looks gorgeous. MOAR PLZ.

I didn't bother with Stormwatch #2 because #1 was just dreary. I like Cornell's writing, but between a concept that's already been reinvented half a dozen times too many and artwork that's just ugly, #1 was just ugh. If you want Stormwatch go and read the Ellis/Raney TPBs again, there's nothing that's come out since worth reading anyway.

Wonder Woman #1 was pretty good, by virtue of basically being an ancient mythology/horror book with Wonder Woman in it. I'll see what #2 is like.

Aside from that, David Hahn's All Nighter miniseries has been enjoyable fluff so far, and Who Is Jake Ellis? finally wrapped up this week with a good solid ending. I realised recently I'm still waiting on Choker #6 to come out but I've given up caring about how that story plays out, and have resolved not to buy anything more by Ben Templesmith (except Fell) until it's out in trade...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 29 shellyhowell

I'm rereading Geek Love by Katherine Dunn.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭TheEscapist

Chew
    Picked up the four trades cheap, wasn't sure I liked it at first but the art work and writing are perfect for each other. Doesn't take itself seriously and tongue is firmly in cheek which I think is probably good in between all the college books I'm reading at the minute. Just a lot of fun.

Wolverine: Old Man Logan

Saw it in Easons during the week so went back on Saturday to get it and it was gone. Got it from the Marvel App though so read through it all last night. Really enjoyed it. Was very interesting and threw out some great ideas. Only thing it didn't really explain was Hawkeye's age, but a minor point to say the least. Enjoyed the story, though the Hulk Gang could have been shown to be a little stronger and more of a threat than they were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 gibster

orbiter-warren-ellis.jpg

Great story, great art, great comic. Proper hard sci-fi. Quite short, though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,784 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

I'm only reading DC's New 52 at the moment and I've been following Batman, Batwing, All-Star Western, Action Comics, Aquaman and Green Lantern. Of those six, Batman is a real standout though I've been surprised with the quality of All-Star Western, especially as it's introduced a completely seperate storyline in the past two issues.

Had to stop reading Detective Comics as I grew tired of the awful red herrings and 'shock' endings, not to mention a few cringeworthy lines (Batman telling Joker "I own the night"). I'm getting a little tired of Action Comics - the Krypton-heavy #3 was a turn-off for me.

I'm only reading DC's New 52 at the moment and I've been following Batman, Batwing, All-Star Western, Action Comics, Aquaman and Green Lantern. Of those six, Batman is a real standout though I've been surprised with the quality of All-Star Western, especially as it's introduced a completely seperate storyline in the past two issues.

Had to stop reading Detective Comics as I grew tired of the awful red herrings and 'shock' endings, not to mention a few cringeworthy lines (Batman telling Joker "I own the night"). I'm getting a little tired of Action Comics - the Krypton-heavy #3 was a turn-off for me.

picking up a few myself, i'm loving All Star Western and Aquaman, but i'm also getting Nightwing, Captain Atom, Justice-League, Resurrection man Justice-League-International and the absolute best book they have out at the moment, Animal Man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 thewatcher87

I picked up Green Lantern, Batman and Detective from the New 52. My pull list also has all the Supes titles.

At the minute though I am thoroughly enjoying "The Walking Dead".

Just got Red Robin: Hit List, so going to re-read the other Red Robin comics (Collision and Grail) first.

Penn wrote: »
    Just got Red Robin: Hit List, so going to re-read the other Red Robin comics (Collision and Grail) first.

Finished this last night. Loved it. Tim Drake is one of my favourite characters. The perfect blend of Batman and Nightwing, and his relationships with both, and with the new Robin are really interesting.

Penn wrote: »
    Finished this last night. Loved it. Tim Drake is one of my favourite characters. The perfect blend of Batman and Nightwing, and his relationships with both, and with the new Robin are really interesting.

he also has a past of sorts with Steph (batgirl) but we'll see how much of his characterization stays intact over the next few months

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Got my first 3 comics since I was a little kid!!

The Flash: Chronicles Vol: 1
    The Green Lantern: Chronicles Vol: 1
    Superman: Red Son

I got a lend of the new 52 of The Flash, Green Lantern, Action Comics and JL and wanted to go back to the start of their stories before I jumped into any new stories or Rebirths.

So I ordered the 2 chronicles one off amazon. You can sense reading them in Showcase how much has changed from then to The New 52, the writing is alot less dramatic and the tone of danger and tension is almost non-existent. Its almost a skit on itself when reading it. In saying that it is great to see it from the start to see how the style of writing has changed and to know the history of both characters and see the villians first appearances and plot points. I'ld recommend them for anyone who wants to read them as they are cheap enough also.

Have read the first thrid of Red Son and I loved the concept and the excecution of the internal monolgue is great. With Superman fighting with himself and the people around him driving him to a place he doesnt want to be. The conflict internally and external with Luthor and with the Party is believable. I cant wait to see where the story leads next now that he is the leader of the party.

Got my first 3 comics since I was a little kid!!

The Flash: Chronicles Vol: 1
    The Green Lantern: Chronicles Vol: 1

I got a lend of the new 52 of The Flash, Green Lantern, Action Comics and JL and wanted to go back to the start of their stories before I jumped into any new stories or Rebirths.

So I ordered the 2 chronicles one off amazon. You can sense reading them in Showcase how much has changed from then to The New 52, the writing is alot less dramatic and the tone of danger and tension is almost non-existent. Its almost a skit on itself when reading it. In saying that it is great to see it from the start to see how the style of writing has changed and to know the history of both characters and see the villians first appearances and plot points. I'ld recommend them for anyone who wants to read them as they are cheap enough also.

Okay man, unless you REALLY want to wade through 50 years of Continuity, just get Green Lantern: Secret Origins in trade

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Okay man, unless you REALLY want to wade through 50 years of Continuity, just get Green Lantern: Secret Origins in trade

No I'm not intending on going through all the years! I just wanted to go back to the start as a good reference point for myself to see where it all started adn have the general jist of the past. I'll pick up more trades but not everyone.

Do you know where I could get a good reading order or timeline for The Flash and GL? I never know which one has happend before which one by the names.

• Advertisement

Do you know where I could get a good reading order or timeline for The Flash and GL? I never know which one has happend before which one by the names.

For the Geoff Johns GL collections since Rebirth in publication order:

Rebirth
    No Fear
    Revenge of the Green Lanterns
    Wanted: Hal Jordan
    Sinestro Corps War 1
    Sinestro Corps War 2
    Secret Origin
    Rage of the Red Lanterns
    Agent Orange
    Blackest Night
    and Blackest Night: Green Lantern
    Green Lantern: Brightest Day (There's a concurrent three volume Brightest Day series that has little relevance to the Lantern aspect. Admittedly, I haven't read BD3 yet though so that could change there.)
    War of the Green Lanterns

Didn't start with the originals myself. Tempted to get the Showcase Presents collections but the black and white print for a series about a green man weak against yellow puts me off. I just started with Rebirth and the introduction text was incredibly useful in covering the history for me. Shame Flash: Rebirth didn't do the same.

Advertisement