Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What comic are you reading at the moment.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,596 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Read Venom: Vol 1 over the weekend. Really enjoyed it, a great new take on the character of Venom and Flash Thompson's relationship with Peter. The battle for control between Flash and Venom is pretty cool at times too. Plus Flash/Venom looks fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Ridley wrote: »
    For the Geoff Johns GL collections since Rebirth in publication order:

Rebirth
    No Fear
    Revenge of the Green Lanterns
    Wanted: Hal Jordan
    Sinestro Corps War 1
    Sinestro Corps War 2
    Secret Origin
    Rage of the Red Lanterns
    Agent Orange
    Blackest Night
    and Blackest Night: Green Lantern
    Green Lantern: Brightest Day (There's a concurrent three volume Brightest Day series that has little relevance to the Lantern aspect. Admittedly, I haven't read BD3 yet though so that could change there.)
    War of the Green Lanterns

Didn't start with the originals myself. Tempted to get the Showcase Presents collections but the black and white print for a series about a green man weak against yellow puts me off. I just started with Rebirth and the introduction text was incredibly useful in covering the history for me. Shame Flash: Rebirth didn't do the same.

Cheers that is brilliant.
    Dont get the Showcase Presents. Get theThe Chronicles Vol 1. I got it myself, its in colour, paper quality was decent and covers from the start upwards. Its not amazing hardback new colourings but I mean it was only approx €13 and it done exactly what I wanted, to see it from the start, so was well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Cheers that is brilliant.
    Dont get the Showcase Presents. Get theThe Chronicles Vol 1. I got it myself, its in colour, paper quality was decent and covers from the start upwards. Its not amazing hardback new colourings but I mean it was only approx €13 and it done exactly what I wanted, to see it from the start, so was well worth it.

you could get the omnibus for about €40 online. it has showcase 22-24 and GL issues 1-21 in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Martin Walker

After picking up a Comic book reader for my Android ive revisited my youth and im going through the ABC Warriors. Just finished "The Meknificent Seven" and starting "The Black hole".
    Also since i got it ive read Judge Dreed vs Batman "Judgement on Gotham" (Remembered loving it as a kid) and i looked at Batman "Gotham by Gaslight". Im not the biggest comic fan and ive just started. I didnt realise there were "alternative" story lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭Ridley

Dragon Ball 5 - Last of the original VizBig editions. Not a fan of the censorship but it could be worse, I see someone's allowed 4Kids (a company that wants Japanese cartoons with none of the Japanes elements) to get their hands on the anime.

The Walking Dead 13
    The Walking Dead 14
    The Walking Dead 15

Ghostbusters: Displaced Aggression - Not a fan. I think rewatching the first movie gave me the itch for another story (or two) which overrided my disliking IDW's first book and my belief that they play it too safe with their media tie-ins. The Ghosbusters are scattered across time by Gozer's father, except Zeddemore who barely gets anything to do. As usual. Seems his cover is missing aswell.

Ghostbusters: Haunted Holidays - Anthology of holiday related one-shots. Thought Peter David's Halloween story was the best (with Zeddemore missing) and I like Dan Schoening's art. Which is nice.

Thunderbolts Classic 1 - Strange how Thunderbolts has managed to keep its original numbering from the start. Good to see how it all began but I'm not big on the busy, pastel coloured art style of the 90s and I still favour Ellis and Diggle's version of the team.

Shadowland: Thunderbolts
    Thunderbolts: Violent Rejection

X-Factor 10: Second Coming - Didn't even realise while reading it that it was supposed to tie into the Second Coming crossover. Clue was in the name. Silly me. Not going to be reading that any time soon though. Only picked up Messiah CompleX for the X-Factor issues and Utopia for Dark Avengers and both of those were a big fat meh.

Avengers Academy 1: Permanent Record - You'd think the Heroic Age would focus on people being heroic. ;)

Secret Avengers 1: Mission to Mars - Not big on Marvel going into space.

She-Hulk 4: Laws of Attraction - Not Slott at his best I found. Admittedly it's Marvel in Spaaaace for a fair portion so that might colour my opinion somewhat but the appeal for me is how the title deals with superhuman lawsuits/crimes. This one was Starfox on trial, basically getting accused of effectively date-raping women by misusing his ability to psychicly control the emotions of others. Unfortunately it just kind of fizzles out and the aftermath isn't really dealt with.
    Turns out he was doing that thanks to Thanos messing with Starfox's brain so it wasn't his fault and he's been manipulated himself,
    but then what? Suppose it doesn't help there's a Civil War tie-in to get past as well but I did find it funny that there's one issue there and it's clearly brushed off as fast as possible. Looks like the story was supposed to end when it did though.

More positive reception to the arc here.

Deadpool 4: Monkey Business - Entertaining team-up with Deadpool and Spider-Man taking on... erm... Hit-Monkey, who has an origin that doesn't ring true to the larger Marvel Universe (
    he's an otherwise regular monkey with a beginnign and MO not dissimilar to The Punisher
    ) but never mind.

Fantastic Four 4: Three *head asplode* - Well I knew where this was going to end up before I got to this point and I correctly figured what would happen when FF hit issue #600. wink.gif I did like the
    splitting of the team for what was supposed to keep people guessing who would bite it. Yech, Sub-Mariner appearance. Plus Torch's sacrifice was done well enough.
    As a Torch fan I wish he'd have put up a better fight.
    Still, Ben Grimm's grief was nicely played as was Annihilus taunting Richard just by holding up the ripped Four symbol and cocking his head to one side. Certainly doesn't change my displeasure with the revolving door of comic book death
    (and to be honest I'd rather the Torch wasn't the first to go against the grain in that regard tongue.gif)
    but I think the story did its best to convey the pain for the characters. As much as they can compared to the group literally walking into Heaven to get The Thing back from the dead.

Spider-Man and the Fantastic Four - Much more enoyable than the 'Silver Rage' team-up and First Family which did a similar thing with the FF origin. Story weaves through some old FF/Spider-Man stories to create a new one. Bit strange seeing the 90s Venom symbiote adopting the current Mac Gargan evil killer whale look and I think Gage got Spider-Man and the Torch's ages the wrong way around. The joke requires Spider-Man to be older but I'm pretty sure Torch is one or two years older depending on which book you read. Arc seemed to be setting up Spider-Man joining the FF but the tying together of seemingly seperate events and alot of the overall message of the story was pretty much covered by Slott in the Spider-Man/Human Torch book. Was lot more fun too.

War of the Green Lanterns - Haven't got tired of the emotional spectrum stuff just yet but Johns has been on that topic for six years. It's got to run out of steam eventually. And the Corps fighting. I thought the ending was a neat way to do a 'soft' reboot in time for the New 52 but I've read that the book is largely unchanged and not very friendly to new readers. Shame. Seemed the ending of WotGL had the pieces in a position to retell the story in a way that wasn't actually starting over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭Flojo

Working my way through; Y: The Last Man, The Walking Dead, Preacher, Transmetropolitan, and Sandman still!

I keep getting distracted by documentaries. :(

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I've not been reading a great deal of comics recently, I just seem to have hit a bit of a lull and have been reading more books to fill the void.

Since the whole New 52 thing kicked off I've been reading and enjoying Demon Knights and Batwoman - the former is a fun fantasy-themed adventure story, and the latter is one of the most beautifully illustrated things I've ever set eyes on, and which as a result manages to keep me interested in a well-told superhero story at a time when it seems my tolerance for superhero stories is pretty darn minimal. Aside from that, I tried one issue of Paul Cornell's Stormwatch and decided it was the same as pretty much every other post-Ellis attempt to revitalize the Ellis-era Stormwatch team ie not something I can be arsed reading when I could instead just re-read the Ellis-era Stormwatch books. Wonder Woman was fine for one issue, but I forgot to buy issue 2 when it came out and then realised I didn't really care, so it's been dropped. Action Comics did slightly better, with a strong first issue ($3.99 cover price but on the other hand 40 pages long), but then let everyone including its parents, the vicar, the dog, but most of all itself down with a second issue that was more like 20 pages of (excruciatingly boring, mostly expository setup) story, 10 pages of sketches and interviews with Morrison & Morales about how awesome future issues of Action Comics might be, and a preview of some Batman comic I had no interest in buying. You can probably guess how likely I was to buy issue 3 after that.

The new run of Dark Horse Presents has been consistently good so far, a decent cover price for the amount of stuff in it and a nice variety of material. It's hilarious to see that Neal Adams is, um, nowhere near as good a writer as he is a draughtsman - though apparently according to ComicsAlliance anyone reading Batman: Oddyssey already knows this, as illustrated by the image below:
    odyssey-gun.jpg

What else? There were some more Vertigo Resurrected books like My Faith in Frankie (I really liked this, it was a good and surprisingly dense story with some lovely and very clever art) and The Eaters (not particularly good, or rather an alright story bundled with some other alright stories plus one quite good story about a WWII survivor in a rather unsatisfying collection).

There was Our Love Is Real, a silly but fun indie book about a future where love is a more varied and...interesting concept than anything we have currently. 27: Second Set has substantially expanded on the storytelling world of the original miniseries and has been a lot better than I would have expected. Spaceman, from the same team that gave us 100 Bullets, is near-future dystopian sci-fi in the vein of Blade Runner with the Noir turned all the way up - which is a long winded way of saying it's great.

The Red Wing and Captain Swing both finished up at last - the former was kind of meh, to be honests, while the latter was pretty good in that way that lots of Ellis books can be - you can't quite shake the feeling that it could have been compressed down a little bit, but the narrative tricks stop you from worrying about it too much. The Strange Talent Of Luther Strode started and is probably the most promising miniseries I've seen in a good long while, a really nice mixture of strong art and strong writing. Oh, and Criminal: Last Of The Innocent was amazing, the best miniseries so far in a series of consistently excellent miniseries.

Oh yeah! I was given a copy of Mesmo Delivery Service for Christmas and it's astonishingly good, some gorgeous artwork and excellent choreography servicing a simple story that's a well-presented excuse for some lavishly-depicted ultraviolent fight scenes.

I'm just after finishing Scalped Volume 7 and it's bloody good. I've got Volume 8 waiting for me, along with DMZ Volume 10, Chew Volume 4, Nelson and Asterios Polyp.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Up to issue 90 of TWD and reading Batman Cacophony atm as big fan of Kevin Smith and Walt Flanagan's podcast work.

Iv read Killing Joke, Long Halloween and the 2 DK books, any other good batman books to get?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 mcfluff

the last of the innocents, not as good as the rest of the criminal series by brubaker

• Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭Ridley

Incredible Hercules: Against the World - Picked it up while trying to figure out a starting point for more modern Hulk stories. Settled on World War Hulk and Incredible Hercules was once Incredible Hulk. I'm still missing an arc in between though. Enjoyed it. Especially the
    Godzilla
    easter egg. Pulling out the
    angular SHIELD helicarrier used in Marvel's 1970s Godzilla run
    was a nice touch as was
    having to avoid mentioning a real Hydra in communications because the government is looking out for mentions of the terrorist group that shares the same name
    . It's one of those little things that work in the Marvel universe's favour, like comics being admissible in court because for them they're biographies.

World War Hulk - Having seen the Planet Hulk movie I didn't feel like reading the trade on the idea that I could skip a space story and already had the gist of it. Plus that way I got to see Hulk going after Reed Richards sooner. biggrin.gif

Hulk: Green Hulk/Red Hulk (hardcover) - Blech. I've got to give credit with the Jeph Loeb stories I don't like: he does managed to make me dislike them for different reasons each time. 'Rulk' managing to sneak up on She-Hulk by smashing through a metal wall behind her that doesn't even make a sound... Geez. I imagine people reading the monthlies would be more dissatisfied than I was as issues are few on panels making them a brisk read.

Ultimate Fantastic Four 6 (hardcover) - Would have got it regardless to complete the set but it wasn't worth tracking down. Four issues of story with the rest (which would usually be another nine issues or so) dedicated to handbook material. Can't remember the story to be honest. If this is the one with the gal with the crush on Sue Storm, and that's putting it mildly, then that was certainly a memorable moment. wink.gif

Ultimatum: X-Men/Fantastic Four

Ultimatum: Requiem - Better than the main Ultimatum run and gets more worth out of it.

Ms. Marvel 3: Operation Lightning Storm

Captain America Omnibus
    - If I ever get around to getting the next omnibus I'm going to be owning issue 25 three times over... Enjoyed the movie, enjoyed this more. Not a fan of
    bringing back characters from the dead
    but this is the kind of event that does it properly. Would mean a lot more if there wasn't the revolving door too.

Naruto 54
    Naruto 55

Star Wars: Darth Vader and the Lost Command - Vader gets tasked with finding Grand Moff Tarkin's son. 'Twas fine. Haden Blackman's best Star Wars work is, in my opinion, Obsession and an Indiana Jones crossover. Bit burned out on the Vader with Anakin feelings thing. I understand it, but since the prequels the stories have a habit of going into "Gee, what would Padmé think of this?"

Star Wars: Dark Empire Trilogy - George Lucas was so impressed with Dark Empire that he gave employees copies as Christmas gifts. Or so the legend goes. There are basically two sequel trilogies out there, one is the Thrawn Trilogy novels (there are comics aswell but they're adaptations) and Dark Empire. The Thrawn books are better but if the first Dark Empire arc was the trilogy, I think it would be a worthy follow up to the films. As is, the third part was cut down from a planned six issues to two. I don't think that a lengthier arc would have improved it though. The premise is that the Emperor returns having transferred his spirit into the body of a clone he kept on standby and Luke Skywalker, recognising the threat, positions himself to destroy the Empire from within as the apprentice to take Vader's place. That's the first book. After that, it goes all over the place. Captions that explain action that has happened behind the scenes such as a little thing like Skywalker going off and getting his first apprentice. Some stuff can be forgiven as Dark Empire was made before the prequels but there are ideas I find odd such as the Emperor making (Dark) Jedi of people with the Force.

Star Wars: Legacy-War - Essentially closure for the Legacy series which has been cancelled. Ties up the main storyline but there's strands left over.

Star Wars Adventures: Chewbacca and the Slavers of the Shadowlands - Liked it. Nice art too.

Star Wars: The Clone Wars: The Starcrusher Trap - Was fine. Too similar to an arc in the Clone Wars TV series for my tastes though.

Star Wars: The Clone Wars: Strange Allies - Seems a bit too throwaway. Loved the sarcastic Trandoshan kid.

Batman: Broken City - Worth checking out if you're a 100 Bullets fan. Same creative team. I'd forgotten about Risso having action in the foreground/background while characters are talking. Hope to find more stories like this over the campy Knightfall I've got a bookmark in at the minute.

The Flash 1: Dastardly Death of the Rogues - Big improvement over Rebirth and I prefer the art. Still got no idea who most of the characters are.

Brightest Day 3 - Well that was a waste of my time. All that to
    bring back Swamp Thing and Constantine
    ? Dang.

• Advertisement

Just finished Batman RIP, wasnt overly impressed tbh, best thing was the drawings of the joker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

Just finished Mark Millar's "Superior" book 1... very impressed, great art style, well thought out story...millar delivers as per usual

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,485 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Just finished "Butcher, Baker, Candlestickmaker". One of the best origin stories I've ever read.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

just re read Kick-Ass in a day, surprised how quick I got thru it, not much substance behind it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Reading Judge Dredd " Day of Chaos " at the moment - it was a slow burner in parts but by god Wagner is really pulling out all the stops ........
    Are they going to release the Dark Judges as well ????????!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭CL7

I'm reading the complete "Maus" atm. It's hard not to get attached to the characters, really moving book.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Got a lend of Black Mirror but was told to read Year One first but does it really matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Got a lend of Black Mirror but was told to read Year One first but does it really matter?

not a damn. read away!

recently i read Fables deluxe Vol.2 Not as good as the first one, but still loving it.

House of Mystery Vol.6: Safe as Houses. great read, loads of fun and keeps you guessing.

All Star Superman. it was okay, nowhere close to what the hype is though.

Currently, i'm reading The Starman Omnibus Vol.2 Simply brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Fuzz McG

Nah. Not at all!

Currently reading the complete King City by Brandon Graham (currently writing Prophet for Image) which is excellent!

KingCity1_450.jpg

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Fuzz McG wrote: »
    Nah. Not at all!

Currently reading the complete King City by Brandon Graham (currently writing Prophet for Image) which is excellent!

KingCity1_450.jpg

I really should post with the stuff I've been reading the last while, but King City is fantastic. I don't have words for just how great it is. Considering I've been cutting down on my comics reading this year, it's been a good year so far between King City finally getting a collected edition and me finally discovering the Finder Library collections.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Sesudra

Fysh wrote: »
    finally discovering the Finder Library collections.

Glad someone else has read this! Had never really heard of it before, then saw the first Library edition for cheap and picked it up...and couldn't put it down! When pressed, I can't really describe what its all about, you just have to read it I think! Also, it was great having the writers "commentary" in the back to flesh out all the background stuff.

I'm delighted that "Castle Waiting" seems to be getting a real ending finally. Another series where not much happens, seemingly, but its all about the atmosphere and the relationships the characters have with each other.

Sesudra wrote: »
    Glad someone else has read this! Had never really heard of it before, then saw the first Library edition for cheap and picked it up...and couldn't put it down! When pressed, I can't really describe what its all about, you just have to read it I think! Also, it was great having the writers "commentary" in the back to flesh out all the background stuff.

Yeah, I had heard of it ages ago (I think Warren Ellis raved about it a few times, for example) but it wasn't until I started picking up Dark Horse Presents and got to read a few of the standalone stories that it occurred to me to look for the previous material. It's really good, too, a great mix of tribal-futuristic sci-fi and deft character-driven storytelling - if it wasn't a direct influence on Transmetropolitan then it's fair to say both of them share at least some influences.

I haven't picked up the second Library volume yet but I expect to change that within the next month or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,596 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Just finished Spider-Man: Spider-Island last night. Really enjoyed it. Would have liked to have seen more superheroes and bad guys using both their own powers and spider powers though, like let's say The Thing used a web to pull someone towards him and hit them.

Overall though, thought it was a great read. And I love the new Madame Web

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Fuzz McG

Fysh wrote: »
    Yeah, I had heard of it ages ago (I think Warren Ellis raved about it a few times, for example) but it wasn't until I started picking up Dark Horse Presents and got to read a few of the standalone stories that it occurred to me to look for the previous material. It's really good, too, a great mix of tribal-futuristic sci-fi and deft character-driven storytelling - if it wasn't a direct influence on Transmetropolitan then it's fair to say both of them share at least some influences.

I haven't picked up the second Library volume yet but I expect to change that within the next month or two.

I read the first Finder collection a while back. Pretty big book - it does have an introduction by Warren Ellis - I initially found it a bit of a slog to get through. I guess it thought it would be more sci-fi. But by the end of it I really did like it. The second volume is waiting to be read now.
    I really should post with the stuff I've been reading the last while, but King City is fantastic. I don't have words for just how great it is.

I'm about half way through now and loving it, that cat is amazing! :D

I'd highly recommend Graham's new Image series Prophet if you like King City/Finder/Moebius stuff. Also, James Stokoe's Orc Stain is fantastic too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

Have never really been into comics, but someone got me to start reading Transmetropolitan and I am really loving it.

Almost finished it now, any recommendations for anything similar? Have literally no idea what else is out there....

• Registered Users Posts: 2 F.Castle

Just finished Crossed by G Ennis. Very dark but well worth the read.

Regular stuff ongoing from DC new 52:
    Batman (really enjoying the night of owls crossover)
    Animal man
    Aquaman
    Detective comics
    Action comics
    Swamp Thing
    The Flash
    Superman

Of course The Punisher

abelard wrote: »
    Have never really been into comics, but someone got me to start reading Transmetropolitan and I am really loving it.

Almost finished it now, any recommendations for anything similar? Have literally no idea what else is out there....

If it's sci-fi with a humorous bent you're after, try Finder or King City (both mentioned above). You could also try some of Ellis' other sci-fi work like Ocean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

got back into comics again after i went to see the avengers , picked up xmen schism , great so far love the art and story is pretty good so far

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

On Birth of Venom at the moment really awesome story and cool to see what happened after Secret Wars which is one of my favourite stories ever

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

I had not read much since my late teens (comic wise) but recently I started reading them again. (My 5 year old is obsessed with Spiderman, so I started collecting that Marvel Ultimate Graphic Novel set to keep for him when he is older, I have been reading them in the meantime, and I'm hooked.)

This week a friend of mine gave me some of his favorite DC stuff, which I have been working through.

I read "Red Son", "Whatever happened to the caped crusader" and "Earth One" over the last couple of days. All very good.

Advertisement