Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What comic are you reading at the moment.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Read Blackest Night 1-8 the other night don't really like DC but loved this and would recommend for anyone its not Marvel Zombies for DC its so much more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

picked up future foundation volume 1 issues 1-5 by jonathan hickman
    havent got around to reading it yet but spiderman looks awesome :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

It's an age since I posted here last, and I'm not about to get bogged down in trying to list everything so I'll just mention some highlights in no particular order (mainly stuff I picked up at the Bristol Expo recently):

Funrama #1 & 2 (Ryan Kelly) - 4.5/5

(Ordered online direct from Ryan Kelly's website) I really liked these issues. A lot more than I thought I might, especially after seeing someone describe the writing as "Silver-age influenced" (I don't have much interest in or time for silver age comics or homages to them). But this was great, explaining what's going on without too much exposition (neatly helped by an inner monologue via caption boxes rather than convoluted dialogue) and some lovely art. At first I thought each issue would be self-contained but it seems that while they work that way, there's a thread that will run through future issues as well. And yes, I look forward to issue 3 with Cactus-Man the Union Buster.

More info here.

No More Heroes #1 & 2 (Gordon McLean) - 4/5

There's a lot to like about NMH. At a publishing level I'm delighted that Gordon has decided to make this available in digital form using both CBR & PDF formats at a wallet-friendly £1, and at a narrative level I'm happy to see that he's bringing nasty pitch-black humour together with his particular notions about superheroes and supervillains. The humour, I think, is what I'm liking about this more than anything else - it's not unlike Garth Ennis when he's on form (eg Dicks or the best bits of Preacher). For example, what's not to like about
    a villain who blows up a polar bear with a rocket-launcher at a zoo, spraying kids nearby with bear innards? :D
    It's serious when it needs to be, but nastily, devastatingly funny otherwise. The art is very nice as well, rounding out the whole package. At £1 a go digitally you could do a lot worse.

More info here.

Tuk Tuk #1 by Will Kirkby - 5/5

Will's one of those folks whose work I find very visually appealing. It's been a while since I picked up something of his - probably Birdsong/Songbird, the reads-both-ways comic he put together with Naniiebim - so when I got a chance to catch up with him at Bristol, I figured I'd pick up Tuk-Tuk #1. It's an oversize full-colour comic with a very nice print job, so it's not cheap, but my oh my is it ever lovely. I've mentioned before that I get annoyed at folk taking the piss with pricing on their comics - you can sell expensive comics, but you've got to back up that price tag. I think this is something like £7, but despite that it's worth it. It's written in what I think of as a traditionally-British style, so 2-page stories that are relatively self-contained but flow together to make a bigger story. This leads to some very clever ideas for integrating the logo into the page in different ways, and some glorious artwork. A standout for me was the strip that's set up as a 2-page spread combining a story, a detailed map of the city where events are taking place, and a breathtakingly pretty vista of the cityscape.

The only problem I have with this being so bloody good is that Will takes his sweet time in putting stuff out. I imagine I'll be re-reading this rather a lot, though, because it's bloody gorgeous.

More info here.

Tales Of The Spiffing by Various - 5/5

It's no secret that I'm an absolute mug for anthologies. I like the idea of getting a bunch of different stories and styles in one book, and for every crap anthology I've read at least one bloody good one so for my money it's usually worth the risk.

Enter Tales Of The Spiffing, a collection of comics from folks who've all done work for Aardman Animation in the UK. It's sort of like what you'd get if you tried to capture the magic that infused the first 2-3 volumes of the Flight anthology series and recreate it with a mostly-UK animation creative base and used Britishness as a theme. Visually, it's gorgeous - as you'd expect, the storytelling is top-notch, and there are some lovely tricks on use here. The range of styles is impressive, and the quality is tremendous. To make it even better, since I picked my copy up at Bristol I ended up having a lengthy chat with two of the contributing artists and thus have two amazing sketches adorning my copy.

I can't say enough good things about this comic. I'm on board for the next volume (Taxi, using a taxi-driver and his various fares as the framing device for the anthology) and can't wait.

More info here.

Done To Death by Andrew Foley & Fiona Staples - 4/5

I'm not a fan of emo vampires, whether they're from Anne Rice or any of the more recent fad of foppish fawning fools a la Twilight. I am, however, a fan of nasty writing with black humour, and atmospheric painted artwork.

As a result a cheap collection of the single-issue form of Done To Death was right up my alley. After a clever scene-setting insert on the inside front cover, we're quickly introduced to our protagonist - a bored book editor stuck at a niche publisher sifting through endless books of terrible vampire prose (and worse, occasionally poetry - or worse yet, poetry disguised as prose). We're fairly quickly informed that our protagonist is a serial killer. And yet she remains the closest thing to a hero in this story, which should tell you all you need to know about the kind of story this is.

I really liked it - it doesn't settle for merely skewering a tedious trend that has been generating unimaginative knock-offs for years, and it has fantastic artwork to boot. Well worth a look if you like your horror but are tired of clichéd vampire tales.

More info at IDW's page.

More later when I'm at home looking at the pile o' comics.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 chrismartin4u

Serenity- float out...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭ec18

avengers vs xmen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

ec18 wrote: »
    avengers vs xmen
    Any good?

I got that thick trade for Batman: no man's land vol:1. Gonna tear into it over the next week.

also reading more of ALan Moore's Swamp Thing, it's a bit surreal to see John Constantine interact with other Superheroes. Say what you want about Alan, he was a master storyteller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

Starting Shadowland tonight, anyone read it and let me know what you thought?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Omrick

I’ve just finished reading The Sandman. It was quite interesting. The character development, narrative and scope of story are on a level with high literature. I highly recommend it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

Finished Shadowland, was quite interesting. i thoroughly enjoyed it :)

Omrick wrote: »
    I’ve just finished reading The Sandman. It was quite interesting. The character development, narrative and scope of story are on a level with high literature. I highly recommend it!

the entire series? well done. I started on the re-coloured editions so i'm only up to volume 8.

side note. got Before Watchmen: Minutemen #1 the other day on a whim. quite good, even if it is all setup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Reading Batman Dark Victory atm, really enjoying it so far, I quite like the darker Batman storylines

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Fuzz McG

side note. got Before Watchmen: Minutemen #1 the other day on a whim. quite good, even if it is all setup.

Well it is a prequel! :D

Superman: The Man of Steel Vol. 1: Picked this up second-hand recently and quite enjoyed it. Old-school superhero adventuring, they don't make 'em like this anymore!

It's funny reading some older comics from the 80s compared to newer comics; they take longer to read but seem a lot less muddled and all-over-the-place as new stuff in terms of panels and artwork.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Just finished reading League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Century 2009 and really liked it. It concludes the Century story in a fairly interesting fashion, pulling together a thematic arc through the three volumes that I hadn't noticed when reading the first two by themselves.

(That said, if you haven't enjoyed the Black-Dossier-and-beyond League, this will do nothing to change that).

I like the approach, though - I enjoy Moore's writing and the breadth of influences and references he tends to weave together, and I also really like Kevin O'Neill's artwork, so all in all this is a win for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Im still reading Day of Chaos in 2000ad - its being going on for months and it gets better every week......

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Bistoman

Fuzz McG wrote: »
    Well it is a prequel! :D
    Unfortunately it smacks like a prequel to movie !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Finished reading Ex Machina last night, and made a start into Saga. Really enjoying Vaughan's work. Read Y, the first Runaways run and Ex Machina after they were finished, so looking forward to being able to follow Saga as it develops.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Snitchy

Just read Marvel Civil War today, really liked it, I know alot of people hate crossover stuff but I really enjoy them! I'm also reading Fables at the moment; I think it's the only non Marvel/DC thing I've read besides Johnny The Homicidal Maniac. Give me anything Fairytale based and I'm all over it :)

Snitchy wrote: »
    Just read Marvel Civil War today, really liked it, I know alot of people hate crossover stuff but I really enjoy them! I'm also reading Fables at the moment; I think it's the only non Marvel/DC thing I've read besides Johnny The Homicidal Maniac. Give me anything Fairytale based and I'm all over it :)

Check out Sandman and Hellboy if you like some of the supernatural stuff. Both great series!

I'm also reading Fables at the moment; I think it's the only non Marvel/DC thing I've read besides Johnny The Homicidal Maniac.

Fables is DC (though it's a creator owned one)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Angel8ie

Just readin the Sherlock Holmes hounds of baskerville graphic novel, awesome!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Snitchy

Fuzz McG wrote: »
    Check out Sandman and Hellboy if you like some of the supernatural stuff. Both great series!

Thanks! I think Sandman would be quite good alright, a friend of mine is reading them at the moment and she loves them.
    Fables is DC (though it's a creator owned one)

Really? Oops, shows how little i really know about comics... :o

Thanks! I think Sandman would be quite good alright, a friend of mine is reading them at the moment and she loves them.

Yup it's generally considered one of the best comics of the last thirty years. The Unwritten too is very good. That's also on Vertigo along with Fables and Sandman (which is DC Comics' imprint for creator-owned stuff though these days it's not really creator-owned anymore!) Hellboy then is Dark Horse Comics and a bit more action-orientated. A lot of the earlier stuff is just Hellboy interacting with various old myths and legends with some lovely art!

Beasts of Burden is fantastic too. About a load of cats and dogs that solve occult phenomena. It's, uh, better than it sounds :D

Beastsp4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭TheEscapist

Locke and Key, first trade hasn't given away too much but I can imagine it'll be getting darker and crazier as it goes on. Definitely caught my interest anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Richv1

silkie.jpg
    Title: She Is...Silkie
    Publisher: Seajay Ventures and CE Publishing
    Co-Creators/Co-Writers: Jonathan Gilbert/Laura Wright aks Michelle DeVarennes
    Artist/Cocer Artist: Seppo Makinen
    Letterers: David Vance/Stan Wong
    Co-Story Editors: Nathon Massengill/Dave A. Law
    Editorial Consultant: Llyod Smith
    Production: Mike Rickaby
    Price: $ 5.00 US digital, $ 9.95 US printed
    Rating: 4 out of 5 stars
    Websites: www.graphicly.com/publishers
    www.redlionpublications.blogspot.ca/
    www.cepublishing.wetpaint.com/page/COMICS
    Comments: "Chapter One: Of Myth and Reality" On this Island there is a legend of Silkies. They are underwater creatures that you should be careful of according to the local legends.
    A reporter is investigating the legend. The reporter ends up joining a hunt for the Silkie.
    The story is accompanied by some well drawn scenes of the local and people. The story is filled with a lot of build up and suspense. The Silkie turns out to be more than just a legend.
    "Chapter Two: Obsession" Barry the reporter is the main character. Heather a beautiful young woman plays a good part to as she helps Barry. The town is unsure what to do with the Silkie it has caught. Barry we see is thinking a lot about this Silkie.
    Barry and Heather start working together and now they have a common goal.
    The art really does bring this comic to life.
    The Silkie this were-seal creature does not talk at first or do much. Having her do so creates a sense of mystery about her. Is she good or bad? Or just a creature of nature?
    "Chapter Three: Storm Warning" Barry heads out on his own to find the Silkie. The water is choppy, a storm in brewing. Barry`s friendship towards the Silkie pays off for him. When she finds him at sea.
    The Silkie is a thing of beauty. Her curves are well drawn. Plus she is fully nude but her long hair hides her sexual areas.
    Barry while in the home of the Silkie learns of her nature. It is wonderful to see the story unfold. As you read more you are drawn more into the story.
    "Chapter Four: Revelations" This chapter has Heather shown a lot more sexy in the art. Her concern for Barry is more noticable as well.
    Barry continues to learn more about the Silkie. She seems so kind and sweet and caring.
    "Chapter Five: Passions"The search for the Silkie goes on. Meanwhile Barry and the Silkie become very close.
    Also Heather meets a man who washed up on shore with no memory. Whats his story?
    Evans a vengeful hate filled man finds Barry and the Silkie. His reaction is not calm or nice. The Silkie is so peaceful she deserves to be left in peace.
    "Chapter Six: What Price Vengeance?" Mr. Evans still wants revenge for the death of his son which he blames on the Silkie.
    The artwork continues to be very detailed.
    Things are building and moving faster. All the players are gathering. Things play out as they most often do when humans are involved, with violence.
    Things do turn out ending as most endings do not entirely happy but not entirely sad.
    The story keeps you focused on it and the art is a visual delight.

Richard Vasseur www.jazmaonline.com

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,485 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Just finished the latest TPB of the Boys. Excellet stuff. Good to see Ennis doing a proper job of wrapping up the series.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Hi, has anyone read the 100th issue of The Walking Dead? I flew through the latest two trades this past 24 hours so I could read the 100th before coming across any spoilers... it was a gruesome read but could have been a hell of a lot worse for Rick and friends...

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Bistoman

Hi, has anyone read the 100th issue of The Walking Dead? I flew through the latest two trades this past 24 hours so I could read the 100th before coming across any spoilers... it was a gruesome read but could have been a hell of a lot worse for Rick and friends...
    Read it the other day, Jasus it couldn't have been much worse
    Poor Glen, What a fecking hammering He got
    But it looks great for the continueing story. What I loved from the start was the fact that You knew that no one was safe, The 100 issue proved it true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

I read "A Larger World" straight through to 100 last night and
    there was a section in that book where a man returning to hilltop mentioned that Negan and his men kept the man's girlfriend after dropping off half of their supplies. With that scene fresh in my mind I expected Negan to take either Maggie or Michonne with him as he walked away from group... and this still could still happen with the opening of issue 101
    Yeah Glenn's death was absolutely brutal, especially after he takes the first hit one of his eyes pops out... brutal.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 202 ✭✭John 187

Read Batman: Earth One by Geoff Johns and Gary Frank. The art work is great. The story is just disappointing. It really the same old with just a minor few changes. Bruce Wayne is really underwritten in this story as-well.

Advertisement