Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What comic are you reading at the moment.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Thwip! wrote: »
    The thing is though, when it comes to characters beyond Spidey Bendis has never been happy writing anyone other than Wolverine and Luke Cage. It's kinda why he shoves them into every team book he can. You can almost guarantee an appearance of them in his new Guardians of the Galaxy book.

Although it must be said he's kicking all kinds of ass on All New X-Men with Immomen

There are a few others, he seems happy enough writing Daredevil too, not that I am complaining because his guest role in USM was enjoyable
    especially the scene where he goes to kill Kingpin's wife
    . And Moonknight was a fetish of his for a while so he gets a starring role, although it doesn't really work....Likewise
    Jessica Drew.
    My main complaint with it is that he just disrespects the characters. X-men was one of the core books when the Ultimate Universe launched but when Xavier shows up in Spider-man he is there mainly for cheap laughs.

I have still only read issue 1 and 2 of X-men but I enjoyed it in places, although I guarantee
    Scott and Jean from the past
    will be clones of Pete and MJ (not literally.....I hope.). Also not too gone on Immomen's art, even the change over from Bagley to him in USM is off putting, it kinda looks like a poor mans Lenil Francis Yu.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,090 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

On issue 41 of DMZ. Decided to start reading since I found out it helped inspire Infamous on PS3.

Now I want to replay Infamous. :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I finally got around to reading Dark Horse Presents #17 & 18, which had been waiting for me to read them. After a bit of a break from DHP, I've concluded that I just don't get enough out of it to be paying £6 an issue, especially not now they're pushing this idea of commissioning #0s of new series, splitting them into 3 or 4 chunks, and running the resultantly-crap snippets of story in DHP.

On the plus side, I've got Fatale vol. 2 and a Spanish adaptation of 1001 Arabian Nights waiting for me :)

DMZ's pretty decent alright, it has certain bits of shared DNA in common with Transmet (though DMZ doesn't have anywhere near as much humour).

Planet Hulk: Just the first six issues as part of the Marvel Forthnightly thing but really good so far, part Spartacus, part John Carter. The only complaint I would have is the art makes it a little difficult to distinguish between some of the Imperial Alien characters at times.

Ultimate Spider-man Vol 2: Getting close to being up to date now. Bendis still shines in this, and I like it, but the status quo is such a shift from the rest of the series that it feels like it should be a separate title. It's a bit closer to the cartoon series than the previous issues of the comic too and probably would have been better if they had followed this exact lay out rather than just taking the general idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

Finished reading #1 of Superior Spider-Man. ALL THE FEELZ GUYS, ALL THE FEELZ. So good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

I quite liked Superior #1 as well. It's really interesting to see Ock interact with other people who think they're dealing with Peter and I especially like the language difference. I don't normally read Avenging Spidy but I will be picking it up for, hopefully, more of the same.

As for
    Peter at the end, I hope they don't focus on this too much. Yes he will make a return but I'm happy with this new status quo for the foreseeable future.

I quite liked Superior #1 as well. It's really interesting to see Ock interact with other people who think they're dealing with Peter and I especially like the language difference. I don't normally read Avenging Spidy but I will be picking it up for, hopefully, more of the same.

As for
    Peter at the end, I hope they don't focus on this too much. Yes he will make a return but I'm happy with this new status quo for the foreseeable future.

Well we know
    at the earliest that he'll be there till at the very least April as the april solicitations show Ramos taking over art and there's a big promo image with spidey in the foreground, the word FIRED in the midground and the avengers in the background. so for in order for him to get fired it would still have to be Ock i would imagine

I love Ock as Spidey so far. He's very much a badass and i love his interaction with the Sinister 6.

Also anyone who's a Miguel O' Hara fan like I am should start reading Superior. He's making an appearance apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭TheEscapist

Just finished off the latest Unwritten trade, such a good series.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I got myself caught up with some comic reading today, read Legend Of Luther Strode #1 and Where Is Jake Ellis #1 along with Fatale Vol. 2.

Legend Of Luther Strode takes a pretty interesting approach narratively, and has me interested considering that I was originally disappointed at the existence of a sequel.

Where Is Jake Ellis is a much more natural sequel, to the extent that it starts as chapter 6 of the overall story. It ups the ante and puts both Jon Moore and Jake Ellis in tight spots, making for an exciting read. Between Jake Ellis and The Activity, Nathan Edmonson has shown himself to be a very strong writer for espionage-based action/thrillers.

Fatale volume 2 was excellent, but then again I'm a big fan of both the Brubaker/Phillips Criminal series and Lovecraftian fiction, so I was always going to enjoy the whole thing. My only bugbear is the wait until the 3rd and presumably final volume.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭SamBrugha

I'm after finishing the Deadpool Team ups and now i think im going to read Die Hard Year One.... either that or more Deadpool

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

"Heartbreak Soup" Gilbert Hernandez of "Love & Rockets" fame. They don't make 'em like this, anymore.

old hippy wrote: »
    "Heartbreak Soup" Gilbert Hernandez of "Love & Rockets" fame. They don't make 'em like this, anymore.

It's great, isn't it? A real knockout when it comes to character-based comics.

You might be interested in Sacred Heart if you're particularly keen on Heartbreak Soup - it's a currently-in-progress webcomic that reminds me of Gilbert Hernandez's deft character work.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,090 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

DMZ done. Now moved on to my first read of Preacher. 5 issues in and in the words of Colin Farrell "Christ, he swears a lot" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

OH got me book 1 of 100 Bullets for Christmas and just got around to starting it today, loving it :)

“Roadstrips” a look at what it is to be American (specifically during the Dubya years). Particularly impressed with Gilbert Hernandez simple but effective contribution. Pete Bagge is in there, too. I’d love to see an Irish version of this, especially with the sometimes heated debates on nationalism, unionism, immigration and accents!

Ultimate Spider-man: Have yet to read the 'Fallout' parts of the storyline that I suspect will really wrap this run up nicely, so am still waiting to properly close off this title, but I have to say it was one hell of an enjoyable run. I am far from a Bendis fan but this is easily his best work, and for me up there with the definitive takes on Spider-man. I felt the final story arc was a little lacklustre up until the final issue, but that final issue really makes up for it and is one of the most emotional comic issues I have read in a long time. My only gripe is that it ends a bit too soon and I would rather
    see some of the results from Peter's death shown in the pages of the main title rather than cashing in with a mini series dedicated to it.

The Walking Dead 1-99: A bit of a latecomer to this. Had read the first three volumes a while back but was never really gripped enough to stick with it, glad I gave it another go though. It reminds me a lot of Breaking Bad in the way that it is so character driven, especially in relation to Rick,
    although I find it hard to get behind, or justify the actions of Rick as easily as I can the ones of Walt in BB.
    . It also moves at lightening pace, and if I was critical of it I would say that there is too much reliance of shock value, with too little time for the previous shock to have a real impact before the next one comes along. However on the plus side this really lets you know that none of the cast are safe, which cannot be said for many books. Personally I also would have preferred Moore to have carried on his art duties throughout the series, Adlard probably is a better stylistic fit for the series but for me Moore's is much better to look at. Just about to read issue 100-106 which should bring me back up to date, and 100 should provide the latest shock which I suspect
    won't be Andrea kicking it as that has been foreshadowed a bit too much so I suspect Rick might finally die.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Burky126

'Palestine' by Joe Sacco.Quite an impressive piece of work.

"Human Diastrophism" by Gilbert Hernandez, darker in tone than "Heartbreak Soup" but every bit as essential.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Ultimate Spider-man: Have yet to read the 'Fallout' parts of the storyline that I suspect will really wrap this run up nicely, so am still waiting to properly close off this title, but I have to say it was one hell of an enjoyable run. I am far from a Bendis fan but this is easily his best work, and for me up there with the definitive takes on Spider-man. I felt the final story arc was a little lacklustre up until the final issue, but that final issue really makes up for it and is one of the most emotional comic issues I have read in a long time. My only gripe is that it ends a bit too soon and I would rather
    see some of the results from Peter's death shown in the pages of the main title rather than cashing in with a mini series dedicated to it.
    Been meaning to ask you TurtyTurd, how are you reading these...through trades or back issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Fuzz McG

"Human Diastrophism" by Gilbert Hernandez, darker in tone than "Heartbreak Soup" but every bit as essential.

Those Love & Rockets collections are really great. Always been more a fan of Jamie's books though.

• Advertisement

“Roadstrips” a look at what it is to be American (specifically during the Dubya years). Particularly impressed with Gilbert Hernandez simple but effective contribution. Pete Bagge is in there, too. I’d love to see an Irish version of this, especially with the sometimes heated debates on nationalism, unionism, immigration and accents!

Peter Bagge & Gilbert Hernandez in one comic? Sounds like something I really should track down, since I'm a fan of both their work :)

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Stormageddon

Older brother lent me his copies of the entire run of Preacher, so glad he did. Read it over the past week, loved it from start to finish. Unlike anything I've ever read before.

Been meaning to ask you TurtyTurd, how are you reading these...through trades or back issues?

A mix of both...and to my shame some torrents. I will invest in the trades for the whole run over the next few years though and use them introductions to the comics for my kids. Hopefully they will have the same impact the original issues had on me.

A mix of both...and to my shame some torrents. I will invest in the trades for the whole run over the next few years though and use them introductions to the comics for my kids. Hopefully they will have the same impact the original issues had on me.
    I managed to pick up some cheap back issues of USM at the Comic Mart in Dub if that's any use to you? worked out at 50 cent each :) I'll post the details of it in the Events thread as it could be seen as indirect advertising in this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

AvX X Sanction
    I picked this up before Christmas via comixology's filthy $1 sale and I wasn't too impressed. The fight scenes weren't great and the whole thing just felt dull. I may only be having this feeling as the revelation at the end was impossible to hide from once the main AvX series started so there was nothing really new in one sense.

I managed to pick up some cheap back issues of USM at the Comic Mart in Dub if that's any use to you? worked out at 50 cent each :) I'll post the details of it in the Events thread as it could be seen as indirect advertising in this thread

I will probably stick to the trades but stick them up just incase....you never know.

Marvel Now: Have been away from buying Marvel comics monthly for a good few years now and decided to use this as a jumping on point to get back into it. Got some titles from week 1 and 2 so not sure what I am missing.

Marvel Now Point 1: Nothing more than a showcase for some of the upcoming new titles tied together with a few scenes featuring Nick Fury...I am sure THWIP will be able to answer this (regarding Nick Fury)...why is he
    The Ultimates version?

Out of the titles showcased:

Nova really hooked me, a big fan of Ed McGuiness' work and it has a real Ben 10 look/feel to it.

Miss America: Part of the Young Avengers Relaunch I think which has been getting rave reviews lately so I will give that a chance.

Ant-Man: I dunno if this is going to be the version that they go with in the film but I prefer him to Pym...think he is part of the New FF set up, the story was a nice background on the character but Mike Allred's art is painful to look at.

The other two were Guardians of the Galaxy and X-Force which were a bit meh.

Red She-Hulk: The red thing was interesting at first, it's been overdone. I eagerly await the arrival of the Spectrum of Hulks, ala the Lanterns.

Fantastic Four: I have never been big on Fantastic Four but I like Bagley, and Fraction and the whole
    death
    concept is intriuging so I will stick with it.

IronMan: Ironman has firmly become Robert Downey Jr. Not that that is a bad thing. Most recent Iron Man I had read was the Extremis storyline so nice to see that back in play....hopefully Greg Land only lasts for the initial arc.

Thor God of Thunder: Thor hasn't crossed over into movie Thor...good first issue, and the painted artwork looks beautiful...will stick with this.

Deadpool 01: I think the trick to writing Deadpool well is balancing absurdity with the 'regular' stuff in the MU...I think this crosses too far into the absurd territory. I will give it until the next arc to see if it becomes a bit more grounded.

Avengers Assemble No 9: I am torn on this and a few other books, as they are good in themselves but I am unsure how/if they fit into the larger universe. It was one of the highlight issues for me but I am not sure it fits in with continuity and characterisations. It seems closer to the movie continuity (although Wolverine is in there), and a lot of characters are just comic relief.

A+X No 1: Let's take a character from our current popular franchise and team them with a character from the franchise we dismantled to make it our current popular franchise. Pointless team up between Cable and Captain America that I could have written, second team up between Hulk and Wolverine hints at something more but I won't be around to find out.

Uncanny Avengers 1: Another book Wolverine can be in yay:rolleyes:....the last page was interesting but overall it reminded me a little of X-Factor when they worked for the Government.

All New X-men 1: Bendis surprises me again...if he keeps this up I might just change my mind about him.

X-Men Legacy: Legion is a horrible character, and not strong enough to carry a book, found this to be a struggle to get through.

Wolverine and the X-Men 19 and 20: Possibly my favourite title from the ones I have read, took a bit of catching up and as with Deadpool and Avengers Assemble I am not sure the tone fits in with the rest of the X-men books but I will seek out the back issues. Does Bachalo still do regular art on the title or has he left?

Marvel Now Point 1: Nothing more than a showcase for some of the upcoming new titles tied together with a few scenes featuring Nick Fury...I am sure THWIP will be able to answer this (regarding Nick Fury)...why is he
    The Ultimates version?
    He's the original Nick Fury's long lost son and his blood contains the infinity formula too, a fact that he found out during Fear Itself and its aftermath
    Miss America: Part of the Young Avengers Relaunch I think which has been getting rave reviews lately so I will give that a chance.

Fantastic Four: I have never been big on Fantastic Four but I like Bagley, and Fraction and the whole
    death
    concept is intriuging so I will stick with it.

IronMan: Ironman has firmly become Robert Downey Jr. Not that that is a bad thing. Most recent Iron Man I had read was the Extremis storyline so nice to see that back in play....hopefully Greg Land only lasts for the initial arc.

Thor God of Thunder: Thor hasn't crossed over into movie Thor...good first issue, and the painted artwork looks beautiful...will stick with this.

All New X-men 1: Bendis surprises me again...if he keeps this up I might just change my mind about him.

Definitely give Young Avengers a shot dude, the first issue was brilliant

Fraction is doing a very good job on Fantastic Four so far :)

Bad News: Land is one of the few artists that hasnt been announced to be changed :/ Reason why i dropped it after the initial arc

Thor is hands down my favourite Marvel NOW title so far alongside All New X-Men which again is a surprise brilliance from Bendis and has an amazing art team to back it up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Finished up the Irish stuff i hadn't gotten around to yet

Jennifer Wilde 1 & 2: great detective book. The dialogue is smart and it's a bit talky so you feel you get your moneys worth.

The Crimson Blade 1(of 3) great set-up issue telling years of the main characters background. Short on plot but hopefully the payoff will be worth it.

Noe: The savage Boy 1(of 3) Fantastic use of Irish history for the setting, but i felt the book is a little bit preachy. It also doesn't help that we're told everything that's going to happen in the synopsis so we're just watching the characters go through motions.

The art on all four issues was brilliant.

Zombies, Hi! 5 & 6: as good as the previous four issues regarding content. The addition of colour is a great benefit, especially in helping to distinguish characters better. The art itself isn't as good as the Atomic Diner books (my opinion, feel free to disagree) but is still very serviceable.

He's the original Nick Fury's long lost son and his blood contains the infinity formula too, a fact that he found out during Fear Itself and its aftermath

Definitely give Young Avengers a shot dude, the first issue was brilliant

Fraction is doing a very good job on Fantastic Four so far :)

Bad News: Land is one of the few artists that hasnt been announced to be changed :/ Reason why i dropped it after the initial arc

Thor is hands down my favourite Marvel NOW title so far alongside All New X-Men which again is a surprise brilliance from Bendis and has an amazing art team to back it up

Have you read Nova?...if so what do you think?

• Advertisement

Have you read Nova?...if so what do you think?

Read the Point One.... and read the previews and interviews and such, gotta say...I'm not excited for it. The art will be stellar but the story doesnt excite me at all and i'm usually quite the Nova fan

Advertisement