Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What comic are you reading at the moment.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,090 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Dunno why but I just dropped nearly all Marvel stuff. Only one I get now is X Factor and, if they're available, Runaways. That's going from reading Punisher Max, Amazing Spider-Man(think 3 issues a month was too much), Ghost rider, Astonishing X Men and maybe 1 or 2 others

Still working my way through Preacher. Currently on Cass's backstory.

Will be doing my monthly run to Derry to pick up my issues from the past month.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I picked up the Stan Lee/Moebius Silver Surfer oneshot this week. Lovely art and about the only time Galactus has seemed an actual threat rather than a giant idiot in a purple gimpsuit, but hot damn was the dialogue ever dreadful. Even more over-written badness than Chris Claremont era X-Men.

I reckon it'd be better as a silent comic, frankly. And the £6 price tag for 50odd pages of story, 16 pages of good backmatter, and nearly 40 pages of crap (18 pages of ads!) certainly didn't help.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Knigthfall Vol 1: 90's tastic. All DC books from this era for me look like they were drawn by some kind of robot that churned out all their monthly books in the same style. I do like the exaggerated style of Kelley Jones' covers but the extra muscles really kill it.

tumblr_m8eufw0pKq1rnhr86o1_500.jpg

This is the first time I have read this since I was a kid and it had a much bigger impact back then than it did this time around. I think if the story was done today it would be a lot better. Originally when I read it I really felt like Batman had run through a gauntlet of his villains but now most of them are 2nd rate, although the Zsaz encounter still stands out.

It does a good job (or bad job if you're cynical and think they are padding it and bumping the price) in collecting nearly all of the issues connected to the event although the inclusion of the Two-Face/Scarecrow mini's really disrupt the flow of the Bane storyline and adds nothing other than a couple of panels showing the disintegrating relationship between Batman and Robin. There are also two points which play into the story
    Riddler being pumped full of Venom, and Killer Croc having his arms broken by Bane
    which are completely left out but should have been included since they are referenced numerous times throughout the book.

Jean Paul's
    downward spiral also happens a bit too quick for me and could have been more gradual
    , I might be in the minority but I do like the suit though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

Just finished Saga Vol 1 by Brian K Vaughan and Fiona Staples.

Blown away by it...really great stuff, quality art as well

Batman: Court of Owls/Night of Owls.

This is my first attempt to follow Batman in a chronological order and it was a good jumping on point. Snyder's does a good take on Batman although he is a bit too advanced technology reliant for me....I much prefer the street level almost a myth Batman. The Court of Owls provide good villains although I think they undersell the original Talon and he could have been standout villain for Batman if the outcome of their first fight hadn't been so decisive.

Also Capullo's art is a bit divisive...his costumed characters look really good but his takes on Bruce, Dick, Time etc are a bit bland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,179 ✭✭✭Ridley

Rex Mundi Omnibus 1 - Only the first half of the story but I'm interested in seeing where it goes. 1930s alternate history murder-mystery set in a France which has stayed a monarchy and a Europe that saw the Protestant Reformation suppressed. And magic happens to be real. Most of the background detail is in newspaper articles at the back of each issue and I don't recall any of it being important to the story. Knowing the state of America at the time is nice 'n' all but I'm allergic to pages of text in comics. EricJ's art ain't my bag either. While he's better at showing emotion without the need for captions, I'll take Ferreyra's pastel look over it. First issue's on the website if anyone's interested. (NSFW)

Northlanders 1: Sven the Returned - Bought it to see what the fuss was about Brian Wood was since he's started on the Star Wars ongoing series and there's not nearly enough historical comics around. Picked up Scalped as well, thinking it was set in the 18th/19th century but no. Think I was more interested in the setting rather than the story but it's not a bad.

Assassin's Creed 1: Desmond
    Assassin's Creed 2: Aquilus
    Assassin's Creed 3: Accipiter
    - Meh. Knew going in that the French comics weren't all that faithful to the games (apparently the ancestor sections are canon to the franchise but the Desmond parts ain't). Still, they're fairly pathetic reads that are nowhere near the standard set by the games, especially compared to the Daniel Cross/Nikolai Orelov saga in AC: The Fall.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Ultimate Collection 1 - Didn't realise how much TMNT was influenced by Daredevil and I'll take the Splinter from the cartoon who was a man turned into a rat rather than a rat that can learn martial arts by observing his owner. wink.png Good to see the origins though. Seen some complaints about the blown up art but I dont mind it. Was surprised They bothered to.

Akira 1 - Glad Kaneda's awful 80's sweater didn't make it into the film. tongue.png Plus he's the jerk he's supposed be what with being in a gang that didn't really get explored in the film. No complaints.

The Purple Smurfs - Three stories in one. Man, their saying "smurf" gets old really quickly. In the French version the purple Smurfs were black but I don't see the supposed racism in the story compared to it definately being present in Tintin in the Congo and Asterix.

Uncle Scrooge: Only A Poor Old Man - Way back when Barrington Penn asked what our favourite pages were, I didn't have one. Still don't, but I now have a favourite panel in comics and it was easily worth the price of the book alone.

Cormorants_zpsb2f884ea.jpg

First time I laughed out loud at a comic in a while (and I'm not usually a LOLer in general). There are some good stories afterwards but that first story about the Beagle Boys employing increasingly absurd methods to steal Scooge McDuck's money is brillant. And I bought the other available Donald Duck books when I finished that one story. That never happens. McDuck's an interesting character too. It may end up just being covenience for one duck tale (woo-ooh) considering how long Carl Barks drew the strip for but while the last thing McDuck ever wants is to lose his money, when that actually happens the first thing he does is go about rebuilding his fortune.

Hellcyon - Got it for Lucas Marangdon's art and in that regard I wasn't disappointed. If he wants to keep drawing giant floating mecha having to do a sharp turn around a corner while pursuing a motorbike and thus throwing dust into the air, I won't stand in his way. Story's premise is awfully similar to that of Mobile Suit Gundam before settling into something seemingly more biographical what with Marangdon having being forced out of Argentina by the junta as a child. Took me a few attempts to get through it though.

Hulk: Boiling Point - Still enjoying Bruce Jones's run. It's where I'd direct someone if they wanted to start reading Hulk stories. Unlike, say, Jeph Loeb's stuff.

Nightwing: A Knight in Blüdhaven - Dunno how I feel about it really. It's supposed to be a story about Nightwing making his own path away from Batman but at the same time is moving the pieces around to make Nightwing the Batman of Blüdhaven. So you get someone who isn't as dark as Batman policing a city that is supposedly worse than Gotham which is only worse than Gotham because there is no Batman yet Blüdhaven is just a few miles from Gotham anyway.

Mateki: The Magic Flute - An art book by the Final Fantasy guy which I was tricked into thinking was a comic adaptation of an opera. Only listing it here so I can see if Yo****aka Amano's name makes it past the filter.

Star Wars Omnibus: Droids - Love R2-D2 and C-3PO but this didn't do much for me.

Star Wars: The Crimson Empire Saga - In the aftermath of Episode VI, the last surviving Imperial Guardsman Kir Kanos takes on the enemies of the Emperor that saw his fall from grace. Part one: yes. Part two: no. Part three much better than two but a bit of let-down since the showdown
    set-up in the first story with Luke Skywalker never comes to pass
    . Shame, really. Especially when Crimson Empire I is clearly influenced by Star Wars's Asian origins but fizzles out as the story goes on and time gap between II and III being published seems to alter the natural conclusion.

Star Wars: Dark Times 5 - Out of the Wilderness

Star Wars: Agent of the Empire 1 - Iron Eclipse
    - Star Wars does James Bond
    right down to the gadget scene

Star Wars: Dawn of the Jedi - Force Storm - What I like is that the first thing they do in a book about the origins of the Jedi Order is establish that the story is just a beginning and not the beginning overall. Back before the Republic existed, a "Je'daii Order" is a group of neutral Force observers trying to maintain balance at the centre of the galaxy unaware that the Infinite Empire has already upset it. Although at this point, I never, ever want to see a Twi'lek in Star Wars again. tongue.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Batman: Court of Owls/Night of Owls.

This is my first attempt to follow Batman in a chronological order and it was a good jumping on point. Snyder's does a good take on Batman although he is a bit too advanced technology reliant for me....I much prefer the street level almost a myth Batman. The Court of Owls provide good villains although I think they undersell the original Talon and he could have been standout villain for Batman if the outcome of their first fight hadn't been so decisive.

Also Capullo's art is a bit divisive...his costumed characters look really good but his takes on Bruce, Dick, Time etc are a bit bland.

Perchance were u at the Will Sliney signing the other night? Just there was a guy there talking about making his way through USM too :P

Also i agree with you on Batman, DOTF is really good though and i'll be picking up Night of the Owls HC next week when it's out

Thwip! wrote: »
    Perchance were u at the Will Sliney signing the other night? Just there was a guy there talking about making his way through USM too :P

Also i agree with you on Batman, DOTF is really good though and i'll be picking up Night of the Owls HC next week when it's out

Nah it wasn't me...or was it?:D (Nah seriously it wasn't).

I have just started DOTF, am currently an issue and a half into it and really enjoying it. I am normally a fan of slow moving character driven stories, but the fast pace, action to action really works for Batman. Same goes for Action Comics.

Nah it wasn't me...or was it?:D (Nah seriously it wasn't).

I have just started DOTF, am currently an issue and a half into it and really enjoying it. I am normally a fan of slow moving character driven stories, but the fast pace, action to action really works for Batman. Same goes for Action Comics.

haha must be someone else with good taste in spidey so :P

DOTF is good...gets a bit WTF at times though, and not necessarily in a great way

Two Issues which I left out of my Marvel Now round up, only got around to reading them today.

Captain America 1: I really enjoyed Brubaker's real world take on Cap, this takes all of that and throws it out the window by stranding him in Dimension Z. Even Romita JR's art won't be enough to keep me reading this.

Indestructible Hulk 1: An issue based around a conversation to set up the books status quo going forward with a battle against a villain tacked onto the end of it. I will give it another issue or two at least to see where it goes. Good to see Lenil Francis Yu has moved away from the overly dark style that has dominated his Avengers work but this still isn't a patch on his X-men work from ....12/13 years ago :eek:. Although due to the panel positioning it does have one page where it looks like a random background character is rubbing Maria Hill's giant forehead.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Started a mail order sub with the Big boom as before that I've been buying on eBay (pain in the hole). Anything I'm kinda half way through is down to some of the ebay ones not arriving to date.

What I'm enjoying most at the moment.

Bedlam - read part 1 + 2 (part 4 is in my possesion but haven't received 3, stupid eBay), this started incredibly, I really just loved issue 1, art work is great, I honestly feel that madder red (the main man) is one of the better new costume designs I've seen. The premise is interesting, saying all that I felt issue 2 was taken very slowly, so I'm not as high on this as I was, possibly that's because it's been so long since I've been able to read it because issue 3 has not arrived.

Mara - Again this is all about the premise being something I'm not used to, for anyone who doesn't know it's vaguely about a future where volleyball is very important, I've only had a chance to read issue 1, as again the second issue is included in that fabled eBay shipment. Lots of potential here, although I think this is going to have a very limited run.

Dia De Los Muertos - Issue 1 is all that's out so far, series of semi-related short stories (I assume they'll inter-twine more over the final 2 issues). Either way I though it was a really good read, thought the artwork throughout was great, thought that writing was very coherent for each chapter having a different writer. Definitely going to get the rest of this.

All-new X-men - 1-7 - I like Bendis, I know he's become a somewhat polarising writer, but at very least dialogue wise in my opinion he's about as good as it gets. All-new X-men is moving along really nicely, like Marquez's art a lot, issue 7 seems to be bring it to the boil.

Uncanny X-men Issue 1 - Just read this this morning, not wild on the art, maybe it's just because I'm moving from All-new X-men and it's a bit jarring. Again Bendis is writing this well, at least for me. Like where this is going.

Wolverine Max 1-3 - I guess the Max comics are where Wolverine in a lot of ways belongs. As dark as they can write it, as violent as they can write it. Saying that it feels like it's treading old ground. I wouldn't give it any more time were it not for a reasonably interesting turn in issue 3, I'll say no more but I'll give it another chance.

Deadpool Killustrated Issue 1 - I've never really read any deadpool stuff, he's shown up in other series I read but not his own stuff, this just seemed like a lot of fun, high-concept fun. It doesn't disappoint.

Savage Wolverine Issue 1 - I guess the savage lands are at least a different setting to everything else, everything else is so urban with a hint of sci-fi and that gets tedious. Issue 1 was average enough but I'll give it 2 or 3 to see where it goes.

Superior Spider-Man Issue 1 - Again I've been struck by this bastard eBay bug so thus far I've only read issue 1, I guess this doesn't quite hit the high notes of the run up issues 698, 699 and 700. All the same I think the premise here is just wonderful, so long may it last(unlikely).

Avengers - Have issue 1, haven't read it because I wanted to read a couple of them together, 2 and 3 are in the exiled shipment, 4 and 5 arrived in my first big bang sub, so I guess I'll just keep on waiting.

Finally Death of the Family - It's just a wonderful story, I'm dying to read the last issue, it's been built so brilliantly across the whole of the bat-family titles. For me, this is one of the better Batman stories ever told, the trade paperback of just the batman issues will not do it justice.

Have just read Superior Spider-man 1 myself and was a bit wary of the concept but I enjoyed it...I like the fact that it actually seems/reads like a different character under the mask. Also picked up Avenging Spider-man 16, and while the story is throwaway it will go down as one of my favourite issues solely for the fact that someone
    beats the sh*t out of Wolverine.:D

Gonna have to pick up the other DOTF issues now too.:D

Still really enjoying the Marvel Now Thor series....stuff is like crack.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Enraged at myself for not getting in on the ground floor of the new Thor and the new Hawkeye

I only got one issue of Hawkeye...5or6 I think but it was one of the funniest issues I have read in a while...great writing but Aja's art is fairly meh.

mayordenis wrote: »
    Finally Death of the Family - It's just a wonderful story, I'm dying to read the last issue, it's been built so brilliantly across the whole of the bat-family titles. For me, this is one of the better Batman stories ever told, the trade paperback of just the batman issues will not do it justice.

Oh man oh man, have you read #17 yet???? twas class :)
    Have just read Superior Spider-man 1 myself and was a bit wary of the concept but I enjoyed it...I like the fact that it actually seems/reads like a different character under the mask. Also picked up Avenging Spider-man 16, and while the story is throwaway it will go down as one of my favourite issues solely for the fact that someone
    beats the sh*t out of Wolverine.:D

Gonna have to pick up the other DOTF issues now too.:D

Still really enjoying the Marvel Now Thor series....stuff is like crack.

You and I have very similar tastes... That Thor is just astounding. You reading Uncanny avengers? We're getting a Thor heavy arc in that soon

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

If you love mad science and you've not been reading The Manhattan Projects, do yourself a favour and at least get the trade.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Dammit, I was hoping it to be a Watchmen spin off...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

old hippy wrote: »
    Dammit, I was hoping it to be a Watchmen spin off...

If only someone would heed the constant cries for Watchmen follow-up comics and release some such material. I bet they'd be uniformly well-received both critically and commercially ;)

(In all seriousness though, Manhattan Projects is great and well worth picking up in trade)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Fysh wrote: »
    If only someone would heed the constant cries for Watchmen follow-up comics and release some such material. I bet they'd be uniformly well-received both critically and commercially ;)

(In all seriousness though, Manhattan Projects is great and well worth picking up in trade)

I picked up one of the Before WM titles and it was... ok. Weird, actually. I'm not sure it added much to the existing cannon. Nor did it detract from it. It's just someone else's take on the story, I guess. It didn't have me cursing DC comics over a perceived betrayal...

I'm going to hell, right? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

I for one can't wait to experience Watchmen 2: Electric Boogaloo

• Advertisement

Oh man oh man, have you read #17 yet???? twas class :)

You and I have very similar tastes... That Thor is just astounding. You reading Uncanny avengers? We're getting a Thor heavy arc in that soon

Yeah I am reading Uncanny Avengers....I was a little wary of it first mainly because of the name, and the fact that I think there are too many Avengers titles, but it's actually an ok read. On the Thor thing I am not normally a fan of Thor in the 'real world' setting so not sure about his Uncanny Avengers story, but the whole mythical God killer aspect of the current story just works...it's brilliant. JIM is terrible though.

Also seen this morning that the Superior Spider-man take may not be long term.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 214 ✭✭twilightzone

I'm reading The Walking Dead, also going back through issues of EC stuff and a lot of Image Comics such as Snapshot and Fatale. Been reading some of The Flash comics from the mid 90s when Wally West becomes The Flash too, great stuff.

I'm reading The Walking Dead, also going back through issues of EC stuff and a lot of Image Comics such as Snapshot and Fatale. Been reading some of The Flash comics from the mid 90s when Wally West becomes The Flash too, great stuff.

Are you reading Fatale in singles or trades? It's the first Brubaker/Phillips series I'm tradewaiting since I discovered Criminal and I find I'm missing the essays and backmatter :( That said, it's much more satisfying to read 5 issues at once...

Fysh wrote: »
    Are you reading Fatale in singles or trades? It's the first Brubaker/Phillips series I'm tradewaiting since I discovered Criminal and I find I'm missing the essays and backmatter :( That said, it's much more satisfying to read 5 issues at once...

I'm reading the singles, haven't quite invested in the story yet but it looks awesome. What others do you recommend my friend?

Yeah I am reading Uncanny Avengers....I was a little wary of it first mainly because of the name, and the fact that I think there are too many Avengers titles, but it's actually an ok read. On the Thor thing I am not normally a fan of Thor in the 'real world' setting so not sure about his Uncanny Avengers story, but the whole mythical God killer aspect of the current story just works...it's brilliant. JIM is terrible though.

Also seen this morning that the Superior Spider-man take may not be long term.

I was wary of it mainly because of Cassaday work pace been so drawn out (pun intended)

But i'm finding Hickman's Avengers to be the better of the two tbh, I love Rememder and Hickman but i think this is playing very well into Hickman's wheelhouse as a writer and he's nailing it plus the art is beautiful.

And yeah i cant get over how awesome Thor is. Such an amazing title

With regards to Superior S-M, i kinda figured as much because theres currently no Parker spidey books, and that sort of thing doesnt last too long. But I'm enjoying the heck out of the ride and the story/art has been stellar

Trying any New 52 outside of Bats?

I was wary of it mainly because of Cassaday work pace been so drawn out (pun intended)

But i'm finding Hickman's Avengers to be the better of the two tbh, I love Rememder and Hickman but i think this is playing very well into Hickman's wheelhouse as a writer and he's nailing it plus the art is beautiful.

With regards to Superior S-M, i kinda figured as much because theres currently no Parker spidey books, and that sort of thing doesnt last too long. But I'm enjoying the heck out of the ride and the story/art has been stellar

I'm enjoying New 52 Justice League, nice and colourful and harking back to the older style of narrative.

I'm enjoying New 52 Justice League, nice and colourful and harking back to the older style of narrative.

Havent read that tbh, heard good things though. Been reading Wonder Woman, Batman and The Flash... and I'ld rank them accordingly

1. Flash
    2. Wonder Woman
    3. Batman

Flash has been damn near perfect

I am enjoying Hickman's Avengers but not really his New Avengers...I just don't like the Black Panther character.

Avengers Assemble is still my favourite Avengers book though...even if I dunno where it fits...it's like a sequel to the film mixed with the comics Marvel used to put out for kids.

Writing wise Fraction is blowing everyone away for me.

Also got Young Avengers...I think Loki is going to make the book.

I never expected Superior to be long term myself but it had potential to last longer than 6 months.

The only other New 52i have read is Action comics...as far as number four...it's enjoyable especially the frantic pace of the first two issues...and this is coming from someone who really dislikes Morrison work. I have never really connected with DC comics the way I have with Marvel but I am willing to give them a nother shot this time around so if you have any recommendations fire away please :D.

Also would it be ok with the moss to set up a thread/threads to discuss X-men/Avengers/Spider-man instead of clogging up this thread and maybe accidentally spoiling an issue on someone?

Just seen your post Thwip!...recommendations sorted :D.

• Advertisement

I am enjoying Hickman's Avengers but not really his New Avengers...I just don't like the Black Panther character.

Avengers Assemble is still my favourite Avengers book though...even if I dunno where it fits...it's like a sequel to the film mixed with the comics Marvel used to put out for kids.

Writing wise Fraction is blowing everyone away for me.

Also got Young Avengers...I think Loki is going to make the book.

I never expected Superior to be long term myself but it had potential to last longer than 6 months.

The only other New 52i have read is Action comics...as far as number four...it's enjoyable especially the frantic pace of the first two issues...and this is coming from someone who really dislikes Morrison work. I have never really connected with DC comics the way I have with Marvel but I am willing to give them a nother shot this time around so if you have any recommendations fire away please :D.

Also would it be ok with the moss to set up a thread/threads to discuss X-men/Avengers/Spider-man instead of clogging up this thread and maybe accidentally spoiling an issue on someone?

Ah dude, Fraction is one of my faves. Plus he seems to be pretty much the nicest guy in comics ha

And Young Avengers goes without saying as being the book i wish were a weekly as i'm that excited for it.

I'm in favour of the thread idea. Saves the risk of spoiling a storyline for someone

Just seen your post Thwip!...recommendations sorted :D.
    You're going to love the art in Flash. It's brilliant

Advertisement