Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What comic are you reading at the moment.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Just finished Saga vol. 7. God damn, that book breaks my heart every issue...

Daredevil: Back in Black vol. 3 was a lot more grim than I was anticipating... good read. I like this series, though I still can't gel with on non-red DD costume and, after years of the Waid/Samnee DD with its fun vibe and bright colour palette, it's a little tough to get back to grim Matt Murdock.

I'm mostly reading Captain America: Steve Rogers because I'm looking forward to Secret Empire but #15 was pretty good anyway. Tbh, I much prefer Spencer's more lighthearted stuff. His Ant-Man book and his creator-owned The Fix are both much more enjoyable than either of his Cap books, but I like his ambition with these stories nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Trip Hazard

Just jumping in here on this tread to get stuck into the overall comics forum.

I've literally just finished Batman: The Long Halloween, the past year and a half I've been getting through all the classic Batman stories, and thats the last one i read, absolutly fantastic stuff.

After a chat with a guy in Sub City Mary street, and wanting an alternative to superheroes I read Velvet: Before the Living Dead (Vol.1) and Saga Vol 1.

Saga is fantastic and I'm going to pick up other volumes pretty fast I reckon, Velvet I may dip in and out of.

I reckon I'm very close to starting The Walking Dead from the beginning, but am yet to buy any.

Right now I don't have any comics that I haven't read so a trip to the shop is due ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Jesus another delivery from Big Bang this morning. Moved to monthly shipments in the thought I'd have more time to clear my backlog, but now getting 20+ issues a month. Think the backlog around 110 issues of stuff now :O

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I reckon I'm very close to starting The Walking Dead from the beginning, but am yet to buy any.

Yeah Ive been a big fan of the show from day one and then got into the comics after a few seasons. Decided to go down the Volume route as the compendiums once I got hands on looked horrendously uncomfortable to actually read with the size of them.

Great value at like €15 a pop but stopped at a point and havn't been able to continue. Too much on the backlog, but one I'm planning to get back into once I get the catchup going.

I got started on them using Adverts, picked up about volumes 1-8 for about €2-5 a piece from various people. I always keeps tabs on there for people selling them off cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭Ridley

I've been working towards closure for certain arcs/books so I can make some space on the shelves and floor. Plus I'm hoping to tackle Rebirth just by buying all the first volumes of the deluxe hardcovers which collect the equivalent of two TPBs released later this year. Partly it's an exercise to force myself into looking at characters I wouldn't normally bother with - on the DC side of things anyway - rather than just relying on the more well known creatives or storylines.

Batman 5: Zero Year - Dark City
    Batman 6: Graveyard Shift*
    Batman 7: Endgame*
    Batman 8: Superheavy*
    Batman 9: Bloom*
    Batman 10: Epilogue*

Batman
    dies
    and someone else
    takes the mantle
    . The thing with reading at this pace is that I've just been there with Grant Morrison! Jim Gordon becomes Chappie which I thought was fine for street level crime but wouldn't stand a chance once a supervillain paid attention. Or Tim Burton apparently. The (Zero Year - Dark) specificity of New 52 Batman having been in the role five years is an unnecessary distraction which is pretty much the only lip service paid the reboot anyway. Oh well, it's done now.

Is Batman: Eternal worth a look in?

Green Lantern 1: Sinestro
    Green Lantern 2: The Revenge of Black Hand
    Green Lantern 3: The End

Simon Baz gets sidelined fairly quickly after his rather on-the-nose origin.

The Flash 2: The Road to Flashpoint

JLA 3* - Slow march to Waid's run continues. Has a line about Bruce Wayne being Gotham's answer to Donald Trump. Oh '90s.

New X-Men: Childhood's End 4*
    New X-Men: Childhood's End 5

Uncanny X-Men 1: Revolution
    * - The plan was to read through Uncanny X-Men to get to issue #600 where All-New X-Men claims their story is concluded but Revolution finishes with the beginnings of Magik/Darkchild/Limbo stuff which I was in the middle of reading with a volume of anyway through New X-Men 5. And that had Skottie Young's art so I might have to leave it for a while.

Like Young's art, and that volume shows how much his work is improved without inking, but there are a couple of panels that are supposed to be Darkchild walking toward the 'camera' with her goat legs that ultimately just reminded me of this.

Uncanny Avengers 2: The Man Who Fell To Earth
    Uncanny Inhumans 2: The Quiet Room

Star Wars: Kanan

Doctor Who FCBD 2015*

King Conan 3: The Hour of the Dragon
    King Conan 4: The Conqueror
    King Conan 5: Wolves Beyond the Border

Nice to see that one lone statue again which got the story going in the first place. Shame that The Conqueror isn't the last story as its having Conan be forced to relive the greatest hits of his life on fast forward as a more experienced but much older man feels like a good place to end the timeline. Doesn't help that Wolves does that thing of having a character choose not to have the seemingly more interesting story in favour of the one we got.

*Digital version

Batman Eternal is decent. If you're a fan of Detective Comics or the back-up stories from N52 Batman, you'll like it cos it's all written by Tynon.

Just read the following Rebirth books:

Batman vol. 2: I Am Suicide - this was great. The stuff with Bane less so but the two issue arc with Catwoman was some of the best Batman I've read.

Action Comics vol. 1: Path of Doom & vol. 2: Welcome to the Planet - these books were so good, I was totally hooked. Really looking forward to volume 3. This has become one of my favourite Rebirth books.

Green Arrow vol. 2: Island of Scars - I absolutely whipped through this. Loads of fun and so good to have the book essentially co-headlined by Black Canary. Artwork by Irish artist Stephen Byrne is an extra incentive to pick this one up.

I also just read the first three parts of The Button, the 4 part Batman/Flash crossover event. The first two parts, in Batman 21 and Flash 21, had lenticular covers in the states that weren't sold in Europe due to copyright stuff (I think?) but I was in Florida this week so I managed to nab the last copies in an indie store. They're beauts. Great story so far but I really don't see how they can wrap it up in one more issue...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭dunworth1

I also just read the first three parts of The Button, the 4 part Batman/Flash crossover event. The first two parts, in Batman 21 and Flash 21, had lenticular covers in the states that weren't sold in Europe due to copyright stuff (I think?) but I was in Florida this week so I managed to nab the last copies in an indie store. They're beauts. Great story so far but I really don't see how they can wrap it up in one more issue...

yep the smiley face is copyrighted in Europe... But Big Bang comics the Legends they are managed to get some :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,126 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Button is a good read so far love the absolute killer reveal in the batman part 2 has massive implications for what was is and will be in the greater dc universe. Hope to find some of the lenticular covers at either MCM or Dublin Comic Cons later this year.

• Advertisement

Just read Mooncop by Tom Gauld. Hilarious and heartbreaking in one fell swoop. I'll be looking out for his other stuff, this was really great!

Detective Comics (Rebirth) vol. 1: Rise of the Batmen was okay. I'm not a fan of Tynion but I gave this a shot anyway. The Red Robin stuff was interesting but not enough to bring me back for volume two...

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭L.S.F

Just started Spider-verse making my way through the Amazing Spider-Man relaunch from a few years ago.
    Just started issue 3 but am I better off getting all the adjoing stories as a lot of "read 2099 to find out..." and reading in the order of releases. Or would they hold up after reading the main arc?

L.S.F wrote: »
    Just started Spider-verse making my way through the Amazing Spider-Man relaunch from a few years ago.
    Just started issue 3 but am I better off getting all the adjoing stories as a lot of "read 2099 to find out..." and reading in the order of releases. Or would they hold up after reading the main arc?

I read the whole Spider-verse event. A lot of it was fun but tbh the main story is in the ASM issues. You could easily just read that and get the best bits of the story. I don't like Dan Scott's Spider-man but Spider-verse was a great read.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

After a while of just not feeling it, I've been getting back into some of my comics backlog recently, including stuff I picked up last year at Thought Bubble and still haven't read (!):

The Cleaner: Man of Destiny #1-3

Surprisingly funny autobio comics by one of the chaps from the Mindless Ones podcast. A good mix of insightful autobiography shot through with a good sense of humour that helps make sure the mundanity of the plot (such as it is) doesn't grate. Sort of like a more laugh-out-loud version of a feature-length Banal Pig story, if that means anything to you.

Witch Trade #1-3
    Print collections of the Witch Trade webcomics, this caught my eye with a loose style that owes a lot to Brandon Graham, amongst others. King City or Multiple Warheads are also good reference points for how worldbuilding, characters and plot are jugglex here. Promising, very enjoyable stuff.

Mr Picto's The Painted Men
    A peculiar horror-comedy anthology comic with a Lovecraft-crossed-with-clowns theme. Some very nice stuff here, slightly marred by a few typos and one unfortunate case of repeated text block in the middle of a prose story. Worth a read in any case.

• Moderators Posts: 51,765 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Some of the comics I've been reading lately:

Monstress - really loving both the story and the art to this comic.

Dept H - I loves me some Kindt :)

Unfollow - recently finished last issue of this series. Enjoyed it very much.

Death be damned - a 4 issue mini. A western with a supernatural slant. Was pretty good.

Eclipse - a disaster has hit Earth, and humans can no longer walk out in daylight as the sunlight will incinerate them.

Black Hammer - Loving this book. It's a different spin on the 'Golden Era' superheroes story.

Plastic - Is like a mashup of Dexter and 'Lars and the Real girl'. Only 2 issues in but enjoying it so far.

Spencer and Locke - another mashup type of comic, this time Sin City and 'Calvin and Hobbes'. Working for me so far :)

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Jayd0g

Delirium wrote: »
    Some of the comics I've been reading lately:

Monstress - really loving both the story and the art to this comic.

Dept H - I loves me some Kindt :)

Unfollow - recently finished last issue of this series. Enjoyed it very much.

Death be damned - a 4 issue mini. A western with a supernatural slant. Was pretty good.

Eclipse - a disaster has hit Earth, and humans can no longer walk out in daylight as the sunlight will incinerate them.

Black Hammer - Loving this book. It's a different spin on the 'Golden Era' superheroes story.

Plastic - Is like a mashup of Dexter and 'Lars and the Real girl'. Only 2 issues in but enjoying it so far.

Spencer and Locke - another mashup type of comic, this time Sin City and 'Calvin and Hobbes'. Working for me so far :)

Is eclipse any good? I've given it a miss so far. What did you like about it?

• Moderators Posts: 51,765 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Jayd0g wrote: »
    Is eclipse any good? I've given it a miss so far. What did you like about it?

I'm liking it. It's as if the population of Earth were made into vampires (without the need to drink blood) due to them having to hide away from daylight.

The main story is one about a killer who is using daylight to kill his victims.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Jayd0g

Delirium wrote: »
    I'm liking it. It's as if the population of Earth were made into vampires (without the need to drink blood) due to them having to hide away from daylight.

The main story is one about a killer who is using daylight to kill his victims.

Ah cool, Ill give it a second look then!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I picked up the Humble Comics "Eisner 2017 Nominees Showcase" Bundle recently, and started by reading Jordan Crane's "Uptight #5", because several years ago I remember picking up Uptight #2 and #3 (I think) and enjoying them in a sort of "nicely sparse b&w art, not a lot happens but focus is on characters" way. This issue doesn't disappoint, not least because it's 113 pages long (as opposed to the ~32 pages I think the previous issues were). There's some very strange and confusing character-based stories that appear to deal with post-natal depression and mental illness, and in a nice change of pace the Eisner-nominated story is actually a tense little sci-fi number at the end of the issue. Well worth a read, even if you don't much care for the more surreal character-focused stuff that precedes it.

• Advertisement

I also decided, after re-watching Scott Pilgrim vs the World, that I was overdue for a re-read of the comics, so I've read volumes 1-3 in the last day or so. Ah, fun times :)

Secret Empire #5 was great, really loving this series.

Superman #25 continues such a great series.

Captain America: Sam Wilson vol. 3 - Civil War II was another great book. Really enjoying catching up on this run.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,516 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

RessurXion in general is a great burst of life to the X-Men.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Black Bolt: a great read also my first Marvel comic was recommended by one of the big bang comics guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Paleblood

Yesterday I decided I'd buy some DC comics to see what they're like these days. I've only ever read DC trades before so these would have been my first single-issue purchases. Anyway I picked up Detective Comics (or maybe it was the latest Batman), had a flick through and was sickened to see an advertisement for Snickers encroaching onto the actual page!

Whatever about the irritating and ugly in-house advertising that you get with Marvel... at least they don't interfere with the layout of the page. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. As far as I'm concerned the comic-page is sacred and is not to be messed with. As well as being ugly it actually compromised the overall aesthetic of the entire page.

Have DC being doing that long?

Paleblood wrote: »
    Yesterday I decided I'd buy some DC comics to see what they're like these days. I've only ever read DC trades before so these would have been my first single-issue purchases. Anyway I picked up Detective Comics (or maybe it was the latest Batman), had a flick through and was sickened to see an advertisement for Snickers encroaching onto the actual page!

Whatever about the irritating and ugly in-house advertising that you get with Marvel... at least they don't interfere with the layout of the page. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. As far as I'm concerned the comic-page is sacred and is not to be messed with. As well as being ugly it actually compromised the overall aesthetic of the entire page.

Have DC being doing that long?

Just to clarify; you know that ENTIRE page was the ad, right? Like, it wasn't a grotesquely outrageous product placement written in to the story.

It is really annoying though cos, depending on what book you're reading and what ad they're running, it can really seem like that.

Just to clarify; you know that ENTIRE page was the ad, right? Like, it wasn't a grotesquely outrageous product placement written in to the story.

It is really annoying though cos, depending on what book you're reading and what ad they're running, it can really seem like that.

No, this wasn't the entire page. It was a small horizontal bar at the bottom of the page .

No, this wasn't the entire page. It was a small horizontal bar at the bottom of the page .

Ooh, haven't seen those ones yet. Just checked Superman #27 and it's a 2 page spread - a mini comic about Superman and Flash fighting Grodd, who turns out to just be a hungry guy in need of a snickers... ugh...

Ooh, haven't seen those ones yet. Just checked Superman #27 and it's a 2 page spread - a mini comic about Superman and Flash fighting Grodd, who turns out to just be a hungry guy in need of a snickers... ugh...

Ah, I see. Well then that could have been it so. I just noticed the Snickers at the bottom. I saw what I thought was a regular comic page above it, but perhaps it was all an add.

Well I'm glad to hear that so!

• Advertisement

Ah, I see. Well then that could have been it so. I just noticed the Snickers at the bottom. I saw what I thought was a regular comic page above it, but perhaps it was all an add.

Well I'm glad to hear that so!

More than once, I've gotten halfway through the first of those pages and thought "what the fcuk are Flash and Superman doing showing up in the middle of this?!"

Advertisement