Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Network Newbie

Options
  • 20-06-2004 4:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I want to setup a network like follows:-

1 system to act as a firewall and have the broadband connected to it (2000)
    1 desktop (XP Home)
    1 wireless connection for laptop (XP Pro).

What is the best way of setting this up?

Should I do it all wirelessly? What kind of speeds and range can I expect from wireless? Also would there be conflicts with my ripwave connection?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Morgoth

Personally I'd sell the PC that you're planning on using as the firewall/gateway and buy a wireless broadband router. Depending on the PC's age you'll probably make money out of it.

I have both wired and wireless connections to my router, I find both equally as solid. Doing it all wirelessly should work fine, even if you're a gamer I found that so long as you have a good signal to the wireless access point/wireless router, your ping will be fairly steady. You'll definitely notice a difference in speeds compared to a wired network if you're transferring large files across the network, but so long as you maintain a decent signal the wireless will happily out-do anything your broadband can throw at it.

Mind you, if your PC is close to the firewall-PC/router, there's not much point in not using a bit of ethernet cable. Wireless is cheap but if you're not running much cable around, wired is cheaper. :E If you go the way of getting a wireless router, make sure you look for recommendations that mention good range (personally I'd recommend linksys kit) or else you'll find yourself needing a seperate repeater access point if you consistently move the laptop far enough away from the router.

Advertisement