Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spain v portugal /Rus v greece

• 20-06-2004 8:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

0-0 Spain
    2-0 to russia.

Who have thought that , portugal doing most of the running v spain.
    Been switching channels a lot RTE are crap (ronaldos crossing been crap ,did they see his cross for Costa? he has played well every game) BBC have weird sound co commentar sound is low.

kdjac

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

BBC have the crowd noise up much louder than RTE - better atmosphere on the BBC.

Portugal would want to get their fingers out - they don't look like doing it right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Russia 2-1 Greece . If it stays this score in this game Greece qualify no matter what .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

BBC have the crowd noise up much louder than RTE - better atmosphere on the BBC.

I've noticed that as well, I thought it was my poor reception. RTE should defintely sort their sound out, I would prefer to hear the crowd and ACTUALLY hear John Giles when he is talking.

However the commetary on RTE seems a lot better than on the BBC. Some of the fellas they have on - Ian Wright and that guy with the red hair WTF are they on about?

I was just about to say hasnt portugal put on a dreadful display but they have scored:D :D !! I want to see portugal but their team looked terrible at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Spain have to get the finger out now ,Morientes for that Wackeem lad ,man hes worth 20 million :confused:

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Spain never fail to dissapoint! Portugal were pretty crap but a great goal when it finally came, and after that - mayhem! How mnay chances did both sides spurn. Good for competition they got through. Well done Greece too.

Mike.

• Advertisement

great to see portugal through. Spain totally under performed all through the game, they were quite negative throughout. Not the classic that i expected but decent enough..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Seriously, what is it with Spain?

Of all the European superpowers they are by far the biggest underperformers! Startlingly, they haven't got past the QuarterFinals of either a World Cup or a Euro for 20 years now and this weeks failure is the 2nd time in the last 4 tournaments that they've failed to even navigate past the group stages!

It's not as if they (before tonight anyway) were playing particularily badly either and IMHO should have won the first 2 games with room to spare.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Terrific - more antics from Maniche and Deco to come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by thejollyrodger
    I would prefer to hear the crowd and ACTUALLY hear John Giles when he is talking.
    I'd just prefer to hear the crowd and have Giles muted TBH.
    Originally posted by thejollyrodger
    Ian Wright and that guy with the red hair WTF are they on about?
    You don't know who Gordan Strachan is?

Portugal were lucky to win the group, it looks like they'll avoid France for a while so. Tomorrow night should be interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Originally posted by TwoShedsJackson

Portugal would want to get their fingers out - they don't look like doing it right now.

In all fairness, this is always the case with RTE. With other channels like Sky Sports, BBC and ITV you can jack the sound up and really enjoy the atmosphere. With RTE all you hear is some hick who refuses to learn how to pernounce foreign names. I would prefer to hear the English commentators talk about 1966 than listen to the likes of Giles, Houton, Bonner and all the other boring ****es.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Dewey

I thought it was a great match but there should of been more goals. Spain only have themselfs to blame, they should of beaten Greece by a few goals and been on there way to the quater-finals but they could only manage a 1-1 draw. If they hadnt of started tonights game looking to get the draw and gone for a win then I dont think Portugal would be in the Quater-Finals now. But i'm delighted to see Portugal still in the tourament.

I was listening to John Toshack on TV3 and he said dont be surprised to see Russia beat Greece tonight and far play to him he got it spot on.

Does anyone know who gives out Man of the Match?? Deco got it and i didnt think he deserved it. There was a Portugal defender (cant remember his name) who missed a sitter at the end with the header, i think he should of gotten MOTM, his defending was brilliant at times.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Costinha, he's not a defender

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Dewey

Originally posted by kaids
    Costinha, he's not a defender

Well he defended great tonight.

Originally posted by kaids
    Terrific - more antics from Maniche and Deco to come.

Spot the bitter Man United supporter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Hmm not so sure about that Twosheds. Deco especially was a disappointment, how he won MotM is beyond me. All I saw bar one or two good touches was him falling over alot (normally quite easily) or him giving the ball away.

Glad to see Portugal thru though, makes a tourny more interesting if the hosts are still involved :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Spot the biggest Arsenal supporter on boards :)

He probably secretly supports them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Naw PHB its worse Twosheds supports Newcastle !!!!!

(hmm can't talk thou that 20 quid I lost to SheroN cause I said they would get relegated a couple of seasons ago still hurts !!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

Originally posted by gandalf
    Deco especially was a disappointment, how he won MotM is beyond me. All I saw bar one or two good touches was him falling over alot (normally quite easily) or him giving the ball away.

I can't understand how Carvalho didn't get MotM ... he was outstanding in defence & seemed to be everywhere ... made a great last ditch tackle against Torres, I think :dunno:[even though it was off-side]!

You don't know who Gordan Strachan is?

Ja, thats him. WTF is he on about, Linker/ stupid puns asks him a queston and then he start babbling on about formations with his finger... Even the rest of the commetators dont understand him.:D

Ian Wright... great player but looks like he is sitting at home having a laugh at all the games rather than on camera in front of millions making an effort.
    Seriously, what is it with Spain?

I couldnt agree more, a great team on paper and play some nice football but they have a serious problem when it comes to delivering the goods. Maybe its because they are so regional and have a national identity problem :confused: ? Well Im glad in some ways that the teams that are out to play negatively are getting stung for it.

I thought Ronaldo played reasonable well last night but he looks a little weak or something. Having all the tricks in the book is ok to watch but its a matter of his actual delivery thats dodgy

Originally posted by PHB
    Spot the biggest Arsenal supporter on boards :)

He probably secretly supports them

Oh well forget about that comment then, I just read his sig and saw he had a quote from Kolo Toure in it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,314 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Spain blow it yet again.
    Starting lineup was all wrong.
    Raul should have been dropped.
    He has been absolute rubbish for the last 6 months both in La Liga and the national side.
    Morientes should have started.

Advertisement