Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VPN & firewall

Options
  • 20-06-2004 8:21pm
    Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm trying to help someone connect to a Microsoft Small Business Server using a VPN connection. He can connect to it with no problems when he uses dialup, but at 7.2k it sucks.

I've connected him to the Knockmore Community Network, and he can get on the web with no problems, but the VPN doesn't want to work. I've opened ports 1723 and 47 on the firewall, which has allowed the VPN client to get past the "establishing a secure connection" step to "verifying password" but it gets stuck there.

Anyone familiar with using Microsoft VPN clients behind a NAT firewall connection?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

What router is he using...some have known to be very problematic with VPN. (Linksys in particular)

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

There isn't a simple answer to that question.

KCN is a mesh network. In the case of this particular subscriber, he's connected via a DLink access point to an OSbridge wireless bridge, which connects wirelessly to the nearest mesh node. The mesh gateway connects through a Demarc wireless bridge to a Demarc access point, which is connected to an Allied Telesyn DSL router/firewall.

Having said all that, I'm most inclined to suspect the AT router, but I can't see what else I can do besides opening the ports I mentioned earlier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Wow mesh networks sound cool! Im waaayy outa my league tho! sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Running NAT ? This may be causing trouble by mangling packets a bit

Possibly. Also are you certain it's ports 47 and 1723 ? From what I remember of setting up a vpn, you need to allow protocol 47 not TCP port 47.

yup, that seems to be it.
    http://www.winnetmag.com/Windows/Article/ArticleID/20274/20274.html

Gav

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Originally posted by Verb
    Running NAT ? This may be causing trouble by mangling packets a bit
    True, but it's not something I have much choice about.
    are you certain it's ports 47 and 1723 ? From what I remember of setting up a vpn, you need to allow protocol 47 not TCP port 47.
    That could be it - cheers Gav! I've updated the firewall settings. The chap in question is away for the day, but I'll test it again tonight and let you know how it goes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement