Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would this work

• 20-06-2004 10:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭

Just got broadband with utv with the usb modem. I was planning on getting a new modem/router with a 4 port switch so i could use it on 2 pcs in my house. Today my brother went out on his own without saying anything and bought another usb modem for his room.

Now im thinking that he will have to bring it back. Is it possible for the 2 of us to go online at the same time with one modem in this room and one in his room. We have a line going to both rooms from when we were on dial up

Surely this wouldnt work would it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

AFAIK, only one of those routers will be served an IP address by UTV. This means that the other one will be pretty much redundant.

Now the question is which one of you has the one that syncs the fastest :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Dont know what you mean by which one syncs the fastest??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by bush
    Is it possible for the 2 of us to go online at the same time with one modem in this room and one in his room. We have a line going to both rooms from when we were on dial up
    No - only one "dsl modem" can use the line, just as only one analog modem could use it.

Return the new USB modem, and contact UTV about swapping their USB modem for an ethernet/USB model (they charge an extra €50 for it, I think). You can connect one machine to it using the USB port, and the other using the ethernet port. (Though a DSL router with 4 port switch might be a bit more flexible).

I was thinking it wouldnt. Will get him to bring it back so. Another question while im here. When i get a new modem/router i wont have to put different cable into the rooms will i?. Will the existing lines i had for dial up work when i stick them into the router?

I was thinking it wouldnt. Will get him to bring it back so. Another question while im here. When i get a new modem/router i wont have to put different cable into the rooms will i?. Will the existing lines i had for dial up work when i stick them into the router?
    The exiting cable won't work - you'll need to use ethernet cable. If that's a problem, you coulld consider going wireless, but it will add a hundred euro or more to the cost (when you include a wireless card for your brothers computer).

• Advertisement

Oh yeah, remember someone saying that before. Its rj something isnt it??. Whats the exact name of it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

AFAIK it's RJ45 cable.

Oh yeah, remember someone saying that before. Its rj something isnt it??. Whats the exact name of it?
    You want Cat5 cable - it uses RJ-45 connectors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

Yeah, that's the stuff. I think you'd be better off getting it locally though - paying UK shipping charges on something that small doesn't make financial sense. Try Elara if you want to do it online, or you can pick them up in Compustore or a lot of electrical/hardware shops.

• Advertisement

I know yeah, im planing on buying a couple of things off there. Ive worked it out cheaper than getting it in Ireland

Advertisement