Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

F-zero GX Questions.

Options
  • 20-06-2004 10:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭

Hey, is there anyone out there who already has F-zero GX on their gamecube that could answer a few questions for me that I have not seen answered in any reviews I have read. Firstly, Is that great mode that was in F-zero X, "Death Race" in GX cos I have'nt seen it mentioned anywhere as a mode included in the game. And If not is there anyway to re-create it , maybe by tweaking options in the practice mode, for example? Also has anyone seen F-Zero GX going cheap anywhere, as it seems most places are still selling it for the 60 yo-yo's pricetag that it had when first released. Also, what are your personal opinions on the game, is it something thats gonna keep ya glued to the screen? Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭huge

if by death mode you mean theres one short track and you have to ram everone of it or kill em by spinning then there is and its great but if you dont already have mario kart dd i recomment you get it over f zero gx

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

i agree with above, i have both, and i would recommend to get MK DD before you get F Zero. F Zero has alot of the same stuff, over and over.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think that MK:DD is a better multiplayer game but Fzero GX is a far superior single player game. It's rock hard and there is no annoying cheating CPU. It's all about skill. I prefer Fzero to MK:DD since I don't get to play enough MK:DD in multiplayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

The game was recently added to the Player's Choice range in the United States (only $20) and it is quite possible that the same will happen in Europe down the line.

As for the game, there's no death race, yet the game still provides a satisfying single-player experience. If you're looking for a multi-player game, I'd opt for Mario Kart: DD!!, but F-Zero GX is better overall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

What retro said ,MK for MP and F Zero for SP.
    I shaved 2 seoncds off my big blue time and think im deadly ,thats 8 months after buying it.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭lan

There no death race exactly but one of the story missions is close, I think it's misson 4. You have to kill a gang leader but to get to him you pretty much have to kill the gang first.

since this is the only really gamecube topic i was wondering if any1 thinks i should get metroid prime coz its on players choice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

Metroid Prime is on players' choice? Definately get it. It was the best gaming experience I'd had in years. Played it through three times in a row to get 100% in it, superb game.

As for F-zero GX I'd definately recommend that too for the pure adrenaline rush it gives you. I prefer it to MK DD myself. Got F-zero ages ago on US import after seeing those gorgeous screenshots, It's not a game that will keep you playing for hours though, just good for short half-hour bursts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

definitely get metroid prime!
    an utterly superb game in every way.

zelda must be well on its way to the players choice range by now, grab that as well once it comes out.

oh yeah, have a look at the top selling gamecube games on play.com. they should have a couple of super cheap games there (viewtiful joe & resident evil zero are highly recommended)

Yeah I've got viewtiful joe on the way in the post from play.com, €24 is a bloody bargain for it, I've heard good things so I've high hopes for it.

Also bought Soul Calibur 2 for the GC today, Played it for about 3 solid hours.. its the most addictive beat-em-up ever. I mean there's sword-whips in it! SWORD WHIPS!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Originally posted by huge
    since this is the only really gamecube topic i was wondering if any1 thinks i should get metroid prime coz its on players choice
    You dont THINK you should get Metroid Prime. You KNOW you should get Metroid Prime. I've spent so much time playing this game lately its unreal. I'm on my 2nd playthrough, trying to get 100%...
    damn magmoor bomb jumping for the energy tank...

alright ill get it calm thank god for players choice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Originally posted by rainbow kirby
    I'm on my 2nd playthrough, trying to get 100%...
    damn magmoor bomb jumping for the energy tank...
    tis hair pulling stuff alright.
    turn the sound effects off in the options menu & turn the music up full... it helps a lot if you time the bomb drops to the music.

god damn it, i wish i hadn't leant my cube to my bro:(

speaking of the cube can you get a different colour in ireland besides black and purple? id like silver but i dont want to import it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

yah that platinum range is about in some places, v nice my nephew has one but wont swap me. little git i have silver everything and it would fit in nicely.

kdjac

well most of my stuff is black but i thought it would be cool anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Roller Toaster

Well its about a year since I got F-Zero GX and I still love it. I've never gotten the sort of play time out of any other racing game as I did with GX. It's the game that keeps on giving. It's definitely up there as one of my top 3 gc games and it still blows me away now even after all this time.

Just to demonstrate. You've got 5 different race cups, each with 4 difficulties.
    You've got a story mode with 9 levels each with 3 vastly different difficulties.
    Once you have those two done (which will test you to the absolute limit but its sooo worth it) you've still got the 40 different endings to collect and the staff ghosts to beat. I don't think I finished it properly until about March but even with all the ghosts done and tracks collected it's still awesome to take out and play now.

As for the death race, it's a lot of fun but killing opponents is slightly more awkward than it was in X so it's not quite as good as the old version. It's also not a seperate mode but rather part of the story mode and the course is a lot more complex than the loop of old.

Anyway, I definitely think you should get GX and if you get stuck in it pm me and I'll help you out :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Slane

Thanks for all the advice guys, as always you are a never ending waterfall of helpfull...er...ness. I think I will almost certainly be picking up F-zero GX within the next few days, has anyone seen it going cheap anywhere recently? Thanks again.

You've beaten the Staff Ghosts Roller? They're impossible! Don't think I can even beat the one on the first track.. haven't tried in ages though.

Heh actually Mute City is the hardest course in the game to beat the staff ghost on. Levels like Slim Line Slits and Half Pipe are piss easy in comparison. The main key to beating the ghosts is using tricks like quick turns (turning left quickly then right for a right and turn etc), side boosts (where you skim the side of a boost plate which makes you go faster than going straight through) and most importantly the right custom car for each track. I had my times up somewhere...I can't remember now but I'll see if I can find them.

As for where to get it cheap, play.com is a safe bet and http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/233043.asp has it dirt cheap second hand but I'm not sure about shipping since I couldn't find it listed on the site. I'm sure they'll give you the price if you add it to your cart though.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Roller Toaster
    Well its about a year since I got F-Zero GX and I still love it. I've never gotten the sort of play time out of any other racing game as I did with GX. It's the game that keeps on giving. It's definitely up there as one of my top 3 gc games and it still blows me away now even after all this time.

Just to demonstrate. You've got 5 different race cups, each with 4 difficulties.
    You've got a story mode with 9 levels each with 3 vastly different difficulties.
    Once you have those two done (which will test you to the absolute limit but its sooo worth it) you've still got the 40 different endings to collect and the staff ghosts to beat. I don't think I finished it properly until about March but even with all the ghosts done and tracks collected it's still awesome to take out and play now.

As for the death race, it's a lot of fun but killing opponents is slightly more awkward than it was in X so it's not quite as good as the old version. It's also not a seperate mode but rather part of the story mode and the course is a lot more complex than the loop of old.

Anyway, I definitely think you should get GX and if you get stuck in it pm me and I'll help you out :)

you lie it came out in europe in nover or october and it wasnt even out in japan a year ago dont bs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Originally posted by Swifty
    Yeah I've got viewtiful joe on the way in the post from play.com, €24 is a bloody bargain for it, I've heard good things so I've high hopes for it.

Also bought Soul Calibur 2 for the GC today, Played it for about 3 solid hours.. its the most addictive beat-em-up ever. I mean there's sword-whips in it! SWORD WHIPS!

Viewtiful joe only costs 30euro new in game which means it will go for 20euro second hand. but anyway.... that is one of the wisest buys any gamecube owner could make. the game is pure genius.

F-zero on the other hand bores the crap out of me. I havnt played gx but apart from amazing graphics it cant be much different from the n64 one which i though was rubbish.

Originally posted by huge
    you lie it came out in europe in nover or october and it wasnt even out in japan a year ago dont bs

Hence the word about, jesus christ I was just illustrating a point...I didn't think I'd get some anal retentive jumping down my throat for being 3 months or so off the mark and it doesn't exactly make any difference whatsoever to what I was saying since 9 months is still a long time in the world of games.

Oh, and:
    Originally posted by evad_lhorg
    F-zero on the other hand bores the crap out of me. I havnt played gx but apart from amazing graphics it cant be much different from the n64 one which i though was rubbish.

It actually feels fast this time around...

Advertisement