Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Random thoughts on Euro 2004 Presentation....

• 20-06-2004 11:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

I know the topic of best station for footie is not new but I thought I'd ask it again for Euro 2004 with respect to

technical presentation

panels

time given before and after game for analysis

commentary

Anything else that springs to mind!

The sound is deplorable on RTE N2
    tinny and distant I had the volumn control at 50% then had to drop it back to 25% for BBC or ITV and the quality is much richer too (this maybe a NTL problem though).

Panels - Yesterday was very bad. The Holland/Czech game was a joyous 90 mins and the panel on BBC reflected that - RTEs studio-bound "panel" consisted of Trevor Whatisface and "Wild Bill" it was like a morgue.
    I like Strachen on the BBC as he actually talks tactics and stuff whereas Wrighty is a pain. ITV panel slick but dull.

Time given is best on BBC as they rarely have to rush to
    next programme, ITV can be poor. RTE give little time unless they decide its a BIG GAME.

Commentary - Mixed bag here ITV the worst unless TV3 included! BBC depends on wh'os doing it while RTE not bad but the sounds so poor I tend not to tune in if BBC have same game. I miss Big Ron, he'd keep ITV in the running. Clive Tidesley should be retired by gunshot.

Mike.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

I very impressed with eurosports coverage ,they have the old Football italia dude as anchor. he knwos his stuff.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

technical presentation - I know this isn't BBC/RTEs work - but as long the camera is framed right (ie highly placed with a wide view) and it doesn't look like the 'Ireland home game camera method' then I'm happy with presentation. Anything else done right is a bonus. I'm not very picky about the technical side really.

panels - I never listen to panels except the half-time on the BBC and of that I find it to be nothing more than a cliche-mill. That is, except for Strachan who I have been impressed by.

time given before and after game for analysis - Never watch it so I can't comment. I don't need people spending 20 minutes telling me about what I've just watched with my own two eyes. I honestly can't understand why panels are so popular anyway.

commentary - I find if I stay clear of Johnny 'Think Lately' Giles then it doesn't bother me. Personally I'd like an isolated soundtrack w/o commentary and just crowd noise. That'd beat having to listen to any commentary team IMHO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭por

Originally posted by mike65
    - RTEs studio-bound "panel" consisted of Trevor Whatisface and "Wild Bill" it was like a morgue.

The reason for that was cos Dunphy got 'Tired & Emotional' again and 'Whatisface' had to hold the show

From the Sunday Indo.

No show for 'sick' Dunphy

LARISSA NOLAN and SHANE HICKEY

BROADCASTER Eamon Dunphy was sent home from RTE yesterday, just moments before he was due on air.

Dunphy, who is currently working as sports pundit in the station's coverage of the European Championship, was said to be "too sick" to go in front of the cameras.

However, according to sources, the former footballer and TV3 presenter was in fine form the night before, when he partied the night away with stars in Renard's nightclub.

He arrived at the RTE studios yesterday just after 4pm to comment on the Latvia vs Germany programme, starting at 4.30pm and later the Holland vs Czech game.

But bosses at the show told him he could not go on air when they saw he was not well and sent him home in a taxi.

Spokesman for RTE Sport Richie Ryan said that the veteran presenter had turned up for work "not very well" and went home.

Mr Ryan confirmed that he will be working for them again: "As far as we are concerned, he was sick."

In Dunphy's absence, former England player Trevor Steven provided the comment on the match, with Bill O'Herlihy presenting as usual.

A staff member at the station said that Dunphy appeared at the studios "looking a bit worse for wear".

"He said he was hungover and he wasn't allowed to go on air," said the staffer. "They had to send him back home in a taxi."

A nightclubber at Renard's said Dunphy was out until four in the morning the night before. "He was there until four, partying away."

Dunphy's appearances on the Euro 2004 coverage on Network Two has resulted in massive viewing figures and he is due back soon to cover the rest of the European Championship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

The sound is deplorable on RTE N2
    tinny and distant I had the volumn control at 50% then had to drop it back to 25% for BBC or ITV and the quality is much richer too (this maybe a NTL problem though).

I couldnt agree more, it quite annoying to watch a match like that. Why dont they go the whole hog, mute it all together and do us all a favour:) (maybe there is a customer complaint line ? )

I have surround sound and watching the England France game for example, you could hear a lot of what the supporters were chanting. Great atmosphere.
    That is, except for Strachan who I have been impressed by.

Noooo I dont belive you. Him and Wright have severly pissed me off.
    the BBC and of that I find it to be nothing more than a cliche-mill

I couldnt agree more.
    Johnny 'Think Lately' Giles
    Johnny quote " goals can change games" observations.

BBC have an interactive option to turn off commentary and only have crowd noises.
    Overall i not impressed with any of them, have yet to watch a prematch or after match analysis.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by Pigman II
    commentary - I find if I stay clear of Johnny 'Think Lately' Giles then it doesn't bother me. Personally I'd like an isolated soundtrack w/o commentary and just crowd noise. That'd beat having to listen to any commentary team IMHO
    If you have Sky digital you can listen to the crowd without commentary by pressing the red button.

Trevor Steven (pundit) and Darragh Maloney (commentator) from RTE have actually made RTE a lot more watchable. People like watching Dunphy just to listen to the crazy things he has to say but I prefer people who actually take an interest in football outside of the UK and know what their talking about. Irwin is also very good and I'd like to see him permanantly on RTE's team for the Ireland matches. Liam Brady is just pure boring. I haven't heard much of Houghton but he seems OK. Giles is one of the worst commentators I've ever heard TBH. I have never been a fan of Hamilton either.

I haven't watched ITV once its not on Digital and the reception on my 'pipe' is terrible.

Strachan and Hansen on the BBC are good, I saw Bruce on the BBC the other day but haven't seen him since, he's also very good. The rest of BBC's pundits aren't the best. The main commentator's on BBC are their usual self but the no. 2's (McCarthy, Lawrenson..) aren't too easy on the ear. BBC's interactive service is very good, I watched the second half of the Greece-Russia match by using interactive so unfortunately missed all 4 goals of the night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭pogcica

I have to listen to commentary and analyisis in either danish,swedish or norwegian.
    It does make it harder to get into the buzz of a game. but I dont miss all the usual suspects wheeled out by the irish and english channels as experts.
    except Dunphy maybe for pure laughs.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,314 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Anyone notice that the camerawork hardly ever shows shots from behind the goals.
    Lack of replays is bad too.

90% of camerawork is the portuguese director type dude, they all running the same feed.
    We see what he wants us to see.
    Some tv stations (not RTE) have the power to show their own replys without a technical hitch.

There are other cameras there for certain tv companies ,like the ones that caught the spittting but mostly everyone in the world seeing the same footage.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Alltogether now -

Motty - Shut the F:mad:ck Up!

He had me yelling at the telly several times tonight. He even managed to work in a reference to 1966 before the first kick of the ball.

Spare us.

Mike.

• Advertisement

He did call Vassell Rooney in the build to lampards goal, i was sure of it someoen just informed he did.

A bit OTT on the whole rooney thing considering Vassel is black.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Originally posted by KdjaC
    I very impressed with eurosports coverage ,they have the old Football italia dude as anchor. he knwos his stuff.

kdjac

ya but they're commentators are poor and their time and score yoke is lower down the screen than many other stations .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Was there any reason given for Giles being back in Dublin? I didn't think RTE would have the bottle to send him back to Ballsbridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Italy -v- Bulgaria

RTE N2 Program.

1. Before the game Bill asked the lads ( Dunphy, Brady and Giles ) if the Swedes and the Danes had some kind of conspiracy going for the 2-2 result. Brady said they would, and he knew this because he played in Italy, but quite what that has to do with a Sweden/Denmark cunning plan is still beyond me. Dunphy on the other hand said no way, but he respected Brady's time spent playing in Italy anyway.

2. Still on the conspiracy theory, Dunphy said that if he was the Denmark manager, and the Sweden manager asked him to take part in some kind of plan, then he'd say yes, but make sure his team was the one to go 2-1 up, then "screw them" :D

3. After the game, and they are talking about the demise of the "Big Teams" in international football. One argument put forward by Dunphy was that it was because the kids just aren't playing football on the streets anymore, they are more interested in playing with their "game boys and computers", fair enought point Eamo, but when Gilesy tries to back up the point a few minutes later he blamed the modern luxury like "personal stereos", yeah Johnny, todays players are crap because they have Walkmen.

Originally posted by eirebhoy
    Was there any reason given for Giles being back in Dublin? I didn't think RTE would have the bottle to send him back to Ballsbridge.

his condition must be worsening ;) .

Bill even told him he seemed a bit dilushioned .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Originally posted by Big Ears
    dilushioned .

?, what does this mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by seansouth

3. After the game, and they are talking about the demise of the "Big Teams" in international football. One argument put forward by Dunphy was that it was because the kids just aren't playing football on the streets anymore, they are more interested in playing with their "game boys and computers", fair enought point Eamo, but when Gilesy tries to back up the point a few minutes later he blamed the modern luxury like "personal stereos", yeah Johnny, todays players are crap because they have Walkmen.

John Giles = ancient!

Mike.

Originally posted by seansouth
    ?, what does this mean?

sorry I spelt it wrong I ment delusioned .

Advertisement