Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modem Problem

Options
  • 21-06-2004 1:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭

Hello, I think that I have a problem with my internet connection. My modem seems to be sending a lot more bytes than it trecieves and this is seriously slowing down my connection speed ( 56k ) I have gotten Avg and adware and spyware all updated and scanned but nothing shows up? Anyone got any opinions?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Well if you want to get a bit hands-on, you can bring up a console and use the netstat command, that'll list what connections are currently open... look for any suspicious forign addresses etc.
    Also, a very handy util is TCPview which will identify the program(s) accessing your connection.
    Or if you want to get your hands even more dirty, you could try a packet sniffer like ethereal, but that'll probably raise more questions than it'll answer ;)

If you're more worried than annoyed, you could always install a software firewall like zonealarm who have a free version that might suit.

Try running msconfig aswell just incase there's anything starting that may use the net connection yet not be flagged as spyware.

I'm sure there's more things to try, but I'm tired now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

That sounds like the old Welchia virus that came after Blaster. A friend of mine had it, it was using all of his bandwidth sending itself on to others. Have you done a virus scan? Patched windows (assuming you're using 2k/xp) against Blaster/Welchia/Sasser?

Advertisement