Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BoI charges

Options
  • 21-06-2004 1:27pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I just got a list of BoI transaction charges yesterday for the first time. How long have BoI been charging for ATM withdrawals? Do I have to pay a fee on every direct debit every month or just once off for each direct debit? Can I also smack those thieving bastards in the mouth repeatedly?

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Go on smack them in the mouth, they well deserve it. You are charged per 3month period. if your transactions are more than €25 you can ask to be charged a fixed €25. But here's how they will screw you once again. IF you ring now to be put on fixed fee per 3month period they won't let you start for this current period. You'll have to wait till probably September, when the next three month period comes.
    Best option use 24hour banking, go to ATM as little as possible.

Any Banks do Free banking? Anyone with a free bank?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

How long have BoI been charging for ATM withdrawals?

Forever.
    Do I have to pay a fee on every direct debit every month or just once off for each direct debit?

I believe so, I hope not......

Can I also smack those thieving bastards in the mouth repeatedly?

Yes you can.....

Final note: Bank of Ireland is not there to help you, its a business like any other, out to make a profit.

Thanks JoePC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Originally posted by kikel
    See National Irish Bank's Freebank account.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Customers have not been charged for ATM transactions forever! I went away to the States for a few years beginning 1999, arrived back in 2003 and was SHOCKED to find them charging me. Had to learn not to take out 10 or 20 a go anymore and instead go for 100 to 200 to last me a while. I'm about to change over to Ulster Bank's free current account (need to leave over 500 in credit to qualify) and will let you know if I have any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

I've never been charged a cent from transactions with BOI.
    I applied for a laser card and was told that I couldn't as I was still using a student account. So they converted me over to a standard current account and outlined all the charges etc.
    That was about a year and a half ago and I still haven't been charged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

Originally posted by Sleipnir
    I've never been charged a cent from transactions with BOI.
    I applied for a laser card and was told that I couldn't as I was still using a student account. So they converted me over to a standard current account and outlined all the charges etc.
    That was about a year and a half ago and I still haven't been charged.

Are you sure you didn't get a graduate a/c ?

Usually you get "upgraded" to a grad a/c from a student a/c (which has no charges for about 18 months)

davej

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭tylerdylan

Check out a cash extra a/c w/ Permanent TSB.

I have that with 2 atm cards on the a/c .
    NO and i mean NO atm fees at all!no matter what bank I use.
    Its a charge of just 5.00 euro per quarter.
    If u set up a new direct debit its a fiver(this started when TSB took over)
    A one off cost.

I have had up to 10 direct debits a month going to different places.
    No charges at all.

You dont get any intrest on ur balance....but who cares about that its so small!
    U can also access the online 24 banking and phone banking.NO cost!
    Also no fees to lodge a ck,speak to a real person or withdraw at the counter!

U can have ur pay directly deposited no charge.
    Its a cool no frills a/c.will suit any and all!
    Good luck
    Better the money in your pocket........:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭tylerdylan

Also u dont have to keep a load of money in the a/c:D

They wont close u down for having a fiver just before pay day!(or less)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Yes, NIB's Freebank account, only hitch is no overdraft but I don't need one anyway (2 credit cards are plenty for me!)

No setups for direct debits, not ATM, direct debit or standing order charges. And a cheque book and laser card to go with it too.

Nice account - agreed that NIB are very slow for processing some lodgements and also putting through laser transactions, but if you keep your spending under control its excellent.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I add to all the NIB recommendations.

Was with both BOI and AIB and both started charging me so I left to go to NIB

So far so good, no charges ( including no charges for setting up DD's ), the online site is quite good.

Would recommend

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

I still have the same savings account with BoI that I’ve had since the late seventies. Around three years ago I discovered that my Pass card no longer allowed me to withdraw from non-BoI ATMs, so I called up and was informed that to be able to do so I would have to upgrade my account.

I never did, and still use the same savings account, which can often be inconvenient - although surprisingly not as inconvenient as you would think. However, it has also meant that I’ve never been charged for my ATM transactions - or anything else, for that matter (except government levies, that is).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

guys, Banks are out to make a profit and are entitled to charge for their services

Architects
    Solicitors
    Accountants

to name just three charge exhorbitant fees in my opinion but are rarely castigated - £300 Irish pounds to meet with an architect for 15 mins to discuss planning on a site
    - come on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭raster

Originally posted by nlgbbbblth
    guys, Banks are out to make a profit and are entitled to charge for their services

Architects
    Solicitors
    Accountants

to name just three charge exhorbitant fees in my opinion but are rarely castigated - £300 Irish pounds to meet with an architect for 15 mins to discuss planning on a site
    - come on!

banks are businesses yes, but not like those other businesses you have mentioned.

an architect for example, provides a service for you, and you pay him money in return, one way, simple.

a bank however is different, because you are giving them something, the use of your funds, which they invest in whatever and already make a profit on, so they shouldnt charge fees on simple things like lodgements/withdrawls, only on loans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Originally posted by raster
    a bank however is different, because you are giving them something, the use of your funds, which they invest in whatever and already make a profit on, so they shouldnt charge fees on simple things like lodgements/withdrawls, only on loans
    I understand that banks generally lose money on their current account business, i.e. the costs of running the branch network, running the IT systems, exchanging funds between banks, issuing statements exceeds the benefit they get from having your current account money on deposit.

The current account business is really a 'loss leader' to get you in the door, so they can make some real money through a loan or better still, a mortgage.

The current account business is really a 'loss leader' to get you in the door

I disagree, as perviously stated the banks use the money they hold on deposit to fund their activities, mortgages, credit cards, loans etc so without money on deposit they would simply not make any money.

IT costs etc are all sunk so whether their infastructure maintains 50 accounts or 500 costs are the same, albeit a bit more for statements etc but sure thats what they try and charge for.

They are all a shower, just find one that offers the cheapest fees, in my case NIB because they don't charge anything, cant get cheaper than that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

gotta love student accounts:)
    i'll tell them one day... honest

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

The Irish banks make a lot more proportionately to their UK counterparts because there's much more competition. It is very rare to recieve bank charges of any kind in the UK. In fact, when I moved to Ireland I found it cheaper (free) to use my UK card account in BOI machines than use my BOI card in them.

Believe me, BOI is ripping us off the same way AIB was up until they got caught - so don't be saying 'they are a business, they need to make a profit.' They're a business in a privileged position and they're taking advantage of it as long as they can.

I'm with NIB Freebank service, since leaving BOI, but the service is awful, so you pay that way. They've made mistakes most months and if you deposit cash in an NIB branch other than yiour own you have to wait two days for it to 'clear', 4 if it's the weekend and 5 days, if in my case you deposit the money two days before the Easter hols - that's simply appalling.

Three months ago I decided to apply for their credit card (interest free until Sept) - I still haven't heard anything. Think I'll go to Permanent TSB until Bank Of Scotland starts competing like it said it would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Originally posted by Tazz T
    The Irish banks make a lot more proportionately to their UK counterparts because there's much more competition. It is very rare to recieve bank charges of any kind in the UK.

that is simply untrue

have you ever seen the charges UK Banks impose ?

for exceeding your overdraft
    for lodging a cheque that subsequently bounces
    for returning a direct debit/standing order unpaid

they are significantly higher that here and the service is a lot worse.

I was with Lloyds when working in the UK, never a problem, never charged a penny even when withdrawing from Irish ATMs, and they pay interest ( obviously not much ) every month on my account, excellent service to boot, still using the account when in the UK tfrom time to time and its free visa card

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Again, not in all cases. I used to be with NatWest, but they were fleecing me. However there were many other options out there to switch to, and I did. I'm with Nationwide now and my last bank charge notice came through in may for the 6 months previous. It amounted to 1p

So again, not in all cases and in my case, the service is the best I've ever had from a bank.

[edit] It's interesting that two of the banks mentioned most often as being better banks and having lower charges (NIB and Ulster) are owned by outside entities (Royal Bank of Scotland and National Australia Bank respectively). However, I suspect both are happy not to upset the apple cart too much. What's needed is a big banking group to come in from the outside who isn't afraid of the pre-existing setup and take on of the bigger players. [/edit]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Originally posted by nlgbbbblth
    that is simply untrue

for exceeding your overdraft
    for lodging a cheque that subsequently bounces
    for returning a direct debit/standing order unpaid

Agreed that the charges are huge but only the charges for "being bad." If you keep your account in order its fairly cheap and the government have forced them to offer "basic bank accounts" with DD, SO and ATM facilities for people on low incomes. The unfairness on Ireland is that even an unemployed person on a very low income is charged a large amount by Irish banks. The difference in the UK is that there are standard current accounts and premium accounts - the only thing like this in Ireland is the Ulster bank offereing, where you pay more and get a little more.

What I disliked about BOI and AIB is that they charge huge amounts for relatively little - for example AIB's "cashsave" account (no longer available) is charged the same as a current account without offering services of a current account (cheques, overdraft, laser card).

Thumbs up to NIB, I've reasonably good service from them and no problems, depends on your branch I suppose, also transferred most of the balance from my BOI VISA, which I hope to close when cleared - again good service. The online service is by far superior to AIB or BOI's offerings.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

looking at mini statement here there's a DD for 2.11 for "student online" Am I being charged for doing online banking?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Originally posted by BuffyBot
    Again, not in all cases. I used to be with NatWest, but they were fleecing me. However there were many other options out there to switch to, and I did. I'm with Nationwide now and my last bank charge notice came through in may for the 6 months previous. It amounted to 1p

[/edit]

I was with Nationwide in the Uk - they ruled!

Advertisement