Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ESB De-energisation

• 21-06-2004 3:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭

I got a letter today saying that the ESB had finally given up on us ever paying our bill, and had contacted a third-party called ESB Networks to come around 'de-energise' our house (what a great phrase).

Does anyone know how long it generally takes from the time of receiving this letter to the time of this crowd actually coming around and cutting us off? And will locking the porch door and preventing them getting at the meter do any good?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Only Human

no, theres usually a box outside your house or at the end of the road that they go to to cut people off. De- Energise maybe they've hooked up an advertising scheme with energiser batteries.:confused: i supose the best thing to do would be to pay your bills. you probably wont ever see this if you dont!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Thankfully, they haven't shut off the ESB supply at work yet. :) Personally, I have no problem paying my bills (I only owe a fraction myself, none of which is arrears), but the people I live with aren't in quite such a positive position. It may be quite difficult for them to raise the necessary cash in a short space of time. Hence, I'm wondering just how long we have, or if there are any stalling tactics we can realistically employ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭subway_ie

Whos name is the account in? If it's in yours, you could run the risk of taking damage to your credit rating and having trouble with the ESB in the future. Plus the fact that you'll have to probably py an exorbitant amount to be reconnected to the ESB network when you're in a position to pay the bills... unless you plan to live without electricity?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Talk to them, give them some money, agree a weekly payment schedule, ask them nicely not to de-energise you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

De-energisation is a friendly, non-threatening way of saying that "yer lecky is gonna be cut lad." It all depends on how often, if ever, you have paid an ESB bill. If your payment record is really bad, then it's very unlikely that they will give you an option of paying your arrears in installments. You WILL definitely be cut off if you haven't paid any bills this year, you should have received a SOFT warning by letter, then a HARD warning, then a final notice. I suggest you cough up as much sheckles as you can asap.

BTW ESB networks is the section of the ESB that drive around in the yellow vans fixing poles and cables etc. ESB Supply is the section that deals with accounts/bills etc.

PM me your ESB a/c number and arrears situation etc.
    I know a little birdie who works in ESB accounts. ;)
    I might be able to help.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

They cant by law completley cut you off, so they just reduce your service.
    So to watch tv you have to turn off fridge lights etc:

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Well, we've had a bit of a chat, and discussed who owes what. We've managed to stump up €410 of the last bill (which was a whopping €600 in total). We still have €190 to pay, but we're hopeful of sorting it tomorrow. The only problem is that its through Internet Banking, so there might be a couple of days delay. Fingers crossed that that yellow van stays away from the house until then...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

I prepare my bat and cats for defence of the electricity line.

mr_angry, if you phone esb supply, tell them you'll pay €410 of the bill and the rest at a later stage, they'll have no problem giving you a few days for the money to go through, if it's by internet banking/cheque or whatever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Originally posted by Victor
    Talk to them, give them some money, agree a weekly payment schedule, ask them nicely not to de-energise you.

I working in ESB. Customer Service software so somewhat familiar with the processes.

I recommend what Victor mentions above. Bargain with them.

• Advertisement

...or you could do exactly what I said in my previous post...i work there.

Advertisement