Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom cap?

• 21-06-2004 8:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭

I had Eircom bb installed 2/3 weeks ago. I've already hit 110% of my cap. Just wondering if Eircom have charged anyone yet?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

i dont think they have, we have not seen any offical evidence on boards of someone being charged but eircom have plans to introduce charges very soon so they say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭huge

what is eircom bb 256k cap? and do eirocm offer anything faster than 256k?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

eircom only offer 512k for home use, cap is 4gig for the cheap one and 8gig for the dearer package

how much is 512k 4gb and 8gb and how much gb would you download a month on average

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭muffen

Originally posted by huge
    how much is 512k 4gb and 8gb and how much gb would you download a month on average

Actually, Eircom offers up to 2MBit at home. Would be very hard for me to have 2MBit from Eircom otherwise :)

Regarding the cap, it kinda depends on what you do and how you use it. Last month I downloaded 68gigs, and the month before I think I was 65gigs.

If you don't use the line for downloading, but playing games, browsing etc, 4gigs should be enough.

• Advertisement

the 4gig service is €39,99 a month and the 8gig service is €54,99 a month, both are 512k..... big difference in price and only a mere 4 gig between them.

Im on the 8gig service and altho no-ones been charged yet for exceeding the limit Im not gonna risk it. Its very easy to reach 8gig on broadband unless all you do is surf and read emails so you have to take it very easy most days. I always download within 100kb of my limit at the end of every month but if there was no download limit I coud easily down 1 to 2 gigs a day.

I wouldnt recommend the 4gig service for a gamer tho as it also has a 1gig upload cap which would be well exceeded with a couple of hours of gaming every day by the end of the month. gaming uploads almost as much as it downloads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

I wouldn't recommend Eircom fullstop. Get over to www.iol.ie/broadband for some better deals.

€54 hmm to much but i guess i have no choice i download a lot of music and videos and roms and emus plus play a lot of online gaming guess ill go for 8gb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

Eh did you miss my post?? IOL are far cheaper, if you wanna be ripped off go with Eircom.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Originally posted by Gonzo
    I wouldnt recommend the 4gig service for a gamer tho as it also has a 1gig upload cap which would be well exceeded with a couple of hours of gaming every day by the end of the month. gaming uploads almost as much as it downloads.

I play Battlefield Vietnam almost every night for 2-3 hours or so and so far Ive never exceeded the 1 gig cap.All I use the BB for is gaming so Im not worried about the cap.
    Most months Id upload say 400-500mb and download probably 2 gigs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

eh no , if you stayed on a server for the entire month 24/7 you would not get close to a gb, i would say at a guess 356mb upload for the entire month play a game.

just a guess tho maybe 356560kb or there abouts:D

kdjac

• Site Banned Posts: 105 ✭✭dark_knight_ire

Esat/BT are doing a good deal, ive signed up (waiting for them to install) 3 months free with a 8GB cap then the package is 37 a month however after the 3 free months i'll upgrade to a 16GB for 47 come on 10 euro for double the bandwidth i think its a sweet deal lol.

Even better if you switch your home phone to them you can get the 16GB line for 39 a month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 SolarSys

Eircom aren't charging for going over your monthly download cap at the moment! But be careful, any charging that they may start doing in the future could be back-dated and if you regularly go over your monthly cap you could be stung big time!

To give you an idea of the kind of usage you would have do if have an 8GB monthly download.

To use up your monthly download of 8BG you would have to do the following:

Webpages - most webpages are about 20Kbytes so you would have to download 409,600 web pages.

E-mail - the average text e-mail's are 2kbytes so you would have to download about 4096 e-mail's. (this can vary of course if you have attachments)

Streaming - most audio streaming is 20 kbps so you would have to do about 24 days of constant streaming.

Software - most software programs and games are about 100 MB so you would have to download about 80 or these!

Hope this helps!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Originally posted by SolarSys
    To give you an idea of the kind of usage you would have do if have an 8GB monthly download.

To use up your monthly download of 8BG you would have to do the following:

Webpages - most webpages are about 20Kbytes so you would have to download 409,600 web pages.

E-mail - the average text e-mail's are 2kbytes so you would have to download about 4096 e-mail's. (this can vary of course if you have attachments)

Streaming - most audio streaming is 20 kbps so you would have to do about 24 days of constant streaming.

Software - most software programs and games are about 100 MB so you would have to download about 80 or these!

Hope this helps!!
    lol
    do you work for eircom?
    a game can be anywhere between 700mb & 8gb
    even most demo's are over 300mb these days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Goosey

I play DOD most nights and I have not exceeded my cap of 1 Gb upload.

So no you will not exceed the upload based on gaming alone ..unless you do a rediculess amount of gaming during the month.

Goosey

I wasn't talking about online Gaming such as XBOX Live. I really meant just general software downloads of about 100 MB's.

All I'm stating is that you have to download 80 100 MB's files to use up your cap!

basically your tied to download relatively small files and holding yourself back from downloading most of the day, the eircom 8gig cap works out an average of 265mb per day download which represents only 2 or 3 hours of downloading a day @ 54k/sec, basically 1mb every 20 seconds.

If someone decides overnight to download a game or divx of 1.5 gb thats almost your weekly allowance used up already on just one download.

Even if you never go near warez files your cap can still get eaten very quickly from high quality video streaming/online radio broadcasts, game demos, patchs, software trials, movie trailers, windows updates, emailing/receiving large work projects such as photoshop documents and lots of other stuff, then you got your regular web browseing, msn, icq, irc, gaming after that. Then most ppl have other members of the family using the broadband for their own use after you have finished.If most of us did the above on a daily basis for upto 5 or 6 hours a day (its broadband after all) on average the caps would be well blown by the end of the month. I would deem 30gig a month a fair usage agreement for someone who wants to use broadband as it was intended for non-warez activities.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

If most of us did the above on a daily basis for upto 5 or 6 hours a day (its broadband after all) on average the caps would be well blown by the end of the month.
    And yet, funilly enough, on average the caps aren't well blown by the end of the month!
    I would deem 30gig a month a fair usage agreement for someone who wants to use broadband as it was intended for non-warez activities.
    In other words, Gonzo thinks that the average user should subsidise his usage patterns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

this is way off any decent web radio is 128 kbs
    if i wanted to listen to a radio at 20 kbs i would of stuck with dial up

also u arnt a gamer are u? alot of mods for games are 500 mb
    i play ut2004 and there are a few of these released ever month

and stating oh u can download so many webpages or so many email is stupid
    thats like stating people will only use their connect for one purpose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

*mulitplies 2k x 4096*

answer seems to be about 8192k or 8mb....

thats a pretty big way off :lol:

Originally posted by Ripwave
    And yet, funilly enough, on average the caps aren't well blown by the end of the month! In other words, Gonzo thinks that the average user should subsidise his usage patterns.

No i dont think that others should subsidise for my usage patterns thankyou very much, I am merely suggesting that a 30gig cap would be a more realistic cap to allow us a little more leg room so we could download a couple of movie trailers per day and game demos, maps, patchs, mods etc without having to constantly check our usage patterns with every small download so we dont end up over 8gig at the end of the month. Apart from that it makes our broadband a more realistic experience thus better for the Irish consumer, something that most of us wouldnt argue with.

No i dont think that others should subsidise for my usage patterns thankyou very much, I am merely suggesting that a 30gig cap would be a more realistic cap to allow us a little more leg room so we could download a couple of movie trailers per day and game demos, maps, patchs, mods etc without having to constantly check our usage patterns with every small download so we dont end up over 8gig at the end of the month.
    If you want a bigger cap, pay for it. It's becoming increasingly commonplace for the broadband market to be segmented by "volume" as well as speed - high usage packages cost more than low usage packages (look at the offerings in many other EU countries). The "average user" doesn't need 30G a month, and should have to pay more to keep the price of a 30G package down.
    Apart from that it makes our broadband a more realistic experience thus better for the Irish consumer, something that most of us wouldnt argue with.
    Believe it or not, the vast majority of broadband users in this country are perfectly happy with their "broadband experience", and aren't finding that their style is cramped by the download cap. (If there was a significant demand for higher caps, then someone would be offering a high cap product).

unfortunately I cant pay for a higher cap as there isnt one available for home radsl yet, the eircom business is uncapped but its adsl which I cant avail of, I failed the test for adsl but passed for radsl. So im stuck with the 8gig cap weather i like it or not, there shud even be upgrade packs available to download extra stuff at a set fee but unfortunately we dont have that either so all we can do is wait for the download cap to be raised again in the future or else hope eircom bring out a 3rd package for the home with a higher cap and hopefully higher speed - i wud be prepared to pay a lil bit extra if that was the case.

unfortunately I cant pay for a higher cap as there isnt one available for home radsl yet, the eircom business is uncapped but its adsl which I cant avail of, I failed the test for adsl but passed for radsl. So im stuck with the 8gig cap weather i like it or not, there shud even be upgrade packs available to download extra stuff at a set fee but unfortunately we dont have that either so all we can do is wait for the download cap to be raised again in the future or else hope eircom bring out a 3rd package for the home with a higher cap and hopefully higher speed - i wud be prepared to pay a lil bit extra if that was the case.
    Well there you go - the "market" has responded to your needs, but you ignored the providers who offer a higher cap and ordered from eircom.

Obviously you can't have been all that pushed about the cap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

aye, fair enough point.
    web pages are rarely 20k though... perhaps after you've cached their images they might be.
    point yourself at an unmoderated forum with no rules on sig image size and you'll soon have notched up 10mb of images just by browsing through a couple of threads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

how do you monitor your downloads?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Depends on your ISP - IOL have this site here (leave out @iolbb from username) UTV have a similar thing and eircon also have one somewhere on their site.

Advertisement