Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom cap?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Shamo

Originally posted by neacy69
    how do you monitor your downloads?

A program I use to monitor downloads is DU Meter, you can get it here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

E-mail - the average text e-mail's are 2kbytes so you would have to download about 4096 e-mail's. (this can vary of course if you have attachments)

Ok, assuming the average e-mail is 10kbytes (meaning kilobytes), you should be able to download roughly (8*1024*1024)/10 messages, which is actually something along the lines of over 800,000 e-mails.

And if each message is only 2kbytes, which would probably be a bit more accurate, you could get over 4 million e-mails a month.
    out an average of 265mb per day download which represents only 2 or 3 hours of downloading a day @ 54k/sec, basically 1mb every 20 seconds.
    1 meg every 20 seconds allows you to download 265mb in under an hour and a half... when you think of it that way, an 8gb cap is very restrictive.
    Streaming - most audio streaming is 20 kbps so you would have to do about 24 days of constant streaming.
    Actually, most streamed stuff is a fair bit higher than that. If you're streaming audio only, the lowest you'd expect to find would be 40kbps (56k speeds), going up to 96kbps for broadband. We'll just assume its 40kbps. That means you could listen to 24 days, which is a lot alright. However, this rockets skywards if you do video streaming/conferencing. The typical video stream could be about 200kbps, small enough to run on 256kbps internet. You could watch about 5 days of this. Quite a large amount though.
    Software - most software programs and games are about 100 MB so you would have to download about 80 or these!
    Let me just check out a demo for Unreal Tournament 2004... 200megs. I'm surprised it was so small myself. Still, you could download 40 of these demos, not too shabby at all.

The problem is, when you combine all these activities, it is VERY easy to go over. I might watch some high quality streaming video for an hour or two (done that before), then download 2 game demos, then play some online games, do some video conferencing. Soon the cap is gone....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

Originally posted by dark_knight_ire
    Esat/BT are doing a good deal, ive signed up (waiting for them to install) 3 months free with a 8GB cap then the package is 37 a month however after the 3 free months i'll upgrade to a 16GB for 47 come on 10 euro for double the bandwidth i think its a sweet deal lol.

Even better if you switch your home phone to them you can get the 16GB line for 39 a month.

Why are you starting off using the 8gb for the three months?? As its free for the first three months wouldn't it be better to start off with the 16gb, that way you're already getting double the download limit for free*.

Also the mothly rate for IOL plus is only €47.00 (16gb)** compared to eircoms €54.45 (8gb) with main difference being as far as i can see slightly better speeds and better, but not by a whole lot in game pings.

I can see only one option here...

*T&C apply. Always read the small print!

** As its been mentioned before that price goes down to €39 if ya use their home package. Thats a saving of nearly €15/month with 8gb more to download

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭huge

it aint free for the 1st 3 months with 16gb cap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Originally posted by huge
    it aint free for the 1st 3 months with 16gb cap
    **** it!
    looks like they changed that recently, it offered a free trial of both packages a few days ago:(
    prolly go with utv instead then

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

Originally posted by tman
    **** it!
    looks like they changed that recently, it offered a free trial of both packages a few days ago:(
    prolly go with utv instead then

As much as I like UTV, I'd advise you to go with IOL. Unless of course you want pings ranging anywhere from 50 to 250 at any given time, which is what I've been getting this weekend.

no way could i make do with an 8gb cap though:(
    damn it! wish i'd connected my phone line when i moved into this gaff

http://www.iol.ie/broadbandplus/bb_offer.htm

hmmmm... seems that they haven't dropped the broadband plus free trial after all...

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭sector

Call me crazy but when your using "broadband" you don't want or should need to worry about caps, it's madness.

I was told recently that Eircom hasn't charged a single person for overusage so I guess until it becomes a problems like when they start to approach ratios then they'll consider it worth enforcing.

When that'll be I don't know but with the uptake that's expect with the free 3 months it'll probably be 4th quarter 04 or 1st quarter 05

T

tell me should i get the 4gb or 8gb cap i play online games every night and i only download music (rarely videos) and also rarely apps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

Neither, fu*k Eircom get IOL.

do you work for iol or something god.. can some1 answer my question

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

id get the 8gb just to be safe i know we dont use dads dsl line much and its generaly around the 3.5gig mark

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Originally posted by huge
    tell me should i get the 4gb or 8gb cap i play online games every night and i only download music (rarely videos) and also rarely apps

If its just for gaming and the occasional download the 4 gig one is fine.For example this month Ive only uploaded 452mb and downloaded 2.5 gigs.Thats BF vietnam most nights for 2+ hours or so.Ive 2 days left to use up 2 gigs so maybe Ill get a few torrents or something.
    Richie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭The Song Thrush

Originally posted by sector
    Call me crazy but when your using "broadband" you don't want or should need to worry about caps, it's madness.

I was told recently that Eircom hasn't charged a single person for overusage so I guess until it becomes a problems like when they start to approach ratios then they'll consider it worth enforcing.
    They probably just want people to pay the extra €15 for 8gb.

I just got brodband from Eircom last week @ 4gb a month. I've been keeping track of my downloads, but now that you all say no-one has been charged for overusage.... should I bother keeping track?

Originally posted by The Song Thrush
    I just got brodband from Eircom last week @ 4gb a month. I've been keeping track of my downloads, but now that you all say no-one has been charged for overusage.... should I bother keeping track?
    you're expecting eircom - the biggest bunch of money grubbing, mother whoring bastids out there - to not charge you for services rendered???
    i feel sorry for all the poor ****ers that go multiple gigs over their cap, it's only a matter of time before you get billed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

And word on the street is they will back date the charges, even though the web site may not have been working apparently they have been capturing correct info.

People won't have a leg to stand on if they do, its all in the T&C!!

Advertisement