Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 2000 Pro

Options
  • 21-06-2004 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭

Running on SP4, not sure whats causing this problem but whenever i try to run certain exe's I get the following error message:

"attempt to access invalid address"

Any ideas?
    i was thinking a reinstall of Win2k

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

that sounds like flakey ram .... try reseating / running on different sticks in different slots

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭^whitey^

Thanks BigEejit tried your suggestion but no luck, this is sreally pissing me off I only just reinstalled windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭maxpower

Is it a blue screen of death error message or is it just a windows pop up message???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

What are the "Certain Exe's" ?

Thanks JoePC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

The error that you're mentioning could easily be hardware or software related...we need moreinfo to go further with this.

Have you substituted your current RAM with different RAM suited to your system to verify that it's not hardware related?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭timeout

I'd say it could be the hard drive based on it saying invalid address or is it invlaid path for hard drive problems:confused:

It happens on some cd's and some floppie's.
    The exe's are installation programs.
    I didn't change the ram recently so I'm not sure it would be that. I'm guessing its a piece of software.
    It's not a BSOD just that a small window with the message.
    Thought it might be a common thing thanks anyway lads.

Hmmm just noticed that in safe mode there's no problems :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Run memtest86 and that way you can rule out the ram issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

check your startup and what programs are currently running, i have heard of problems relating to objects starting up that arnt suppose to be there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 707 ✭✭✭deevey

i have heard of problems relating to objects starting up that arnt suppose to be there.

Like windows ?? :p

Seriously though, I'd also try unchecking a load of the services as opposed to just startup progs, e.g. system restore, remote desktops, even the networking options, if you can getaway without them for testing, and see if you get any further.

Do you have any antivirus or security software running that might be blocking the running of EXE's ?

laters

Steve

Advertisement