Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amish Community In Stillorgan

• 21-06-2004 10:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭

Damn this bband is infuriating.

Thinking of setting up an amish community in stillorgan as over the last several years bband has been unavailable to me.

eircom .... line not suitable (" what replace your copper are you mad ted we're far too busy rolling out bband ") Also told by "helpful" eircom employee/robot that YOUR line is not up to required quality ...spent a frustrating 20 mins trying to explain that it was her/eircoms line I only pay sky high rent for this quality line! ARRRRGGGHHH!

Anyway calm down ther's always NTL cable way better then DSL anyway! NTL " sorry only available in tallaght and parts of dub 16 however we will be rolling out in the next year" ( this told to me every year for the last 3 years ! Anyways have you seen NTL's balance sheet they couldn't have rolled out a wheelbarrow over the last 3 years )

No dice

Irish BBand come in your service is required.
    No good ripwave (irish bband product) needs strict line of sight to three rock mast or rte tower which apparently is not available from stillorgan !

So it is with great pride that I launch the Society of Amish In Stillorgan we'd like to reach out to any more brotherhoods around the country.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

:D nice one - there are many like you who yearn for the simpler life - I'm sure you will have many converts and when your numbers are great enough you can kill eircon:D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,212 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Originally posted by OfflerCrocGod
    when your numbers are great enough you can kill eircon

that's against their way of life, English.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,567 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Tis a fine barn but sure tis no wireless broadband mast, English...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by istep
    No good ripwave (irish bband product) needs strict line of sight to three rock mast or rte tower which apparently is not available from stillorgan !
    Ripwave absoluetly DOES NOT require strict line of sight - that's the whole point!

I've used Ripwave in a North facing bedroom, with block walls between it and the 3 Rock mast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

i'm curious, Are there many Amish people in ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,212 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

well, you wont find any on here...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭istep

Ripwave originally said
    Ripwave absoluetly DOES NOT require strict line of sight - that's the whole point!

Well I had the tech guy at my house last summer and he said ripwave at the time was los ( hence he wass positioning the unit upstairs in my house at a window that had to be facing three rock ) Damn it if it's not line of sight I would get a signal in stillorgan I am literaly 3 mins drive from IBB in Sandyford they are just a bit more elevated.

Ibb tried me on a different product that did not need strict los ( these were their words) which meant another visit from the techs installing this square reciever on my roof about 12" x 12" the tech guy ( bruce that personable aussie guy again ) gave me a web sight to look up on this technology and it blabbed on about how it could be recieved through buildings and trees ( even trees can give ripwave problems I was told )

So there you have it.

Maybe the change in frequency to 5.8gghz has something to do with it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

Originally posted by Superman

There is some down in Wexford is there not?

tribble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

Originally posted by Superman

Sure are. :D The Beachy Amish:

http://www.mwc-cmm.org/Directory/europe.html

There's only 15 of them in the country mind...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Look up www.navini.com if you want info on the technology behind Ripwave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Originally posted by tribble
    There is some down in Wexford is there not?

tribble

I think that's knackers and strawberrys.

fair nuff.... I'll have a punnet of strawberries then!

Well I had the tech guy at my house last summer and he said ripwave at the time was los ( hence he wass positioning the unit upstairs in my house at a window that had to be facing three rock ) Damn it if it's not line of sight I would get a signal in stillorgan I am literaly 3 mins drive from IBB in Sandyford they are just a bit more elevated.
    Then you misunderstood him, or have gotten your systems mixed up. Ripwave is the ONLY NLOS (non-Line of Sight) offering from IBB.

(And being 3 minutes from their office in Sandyford wouldn't make any difference, as the Ripwave Transmitter is on 3 Rock, not in Sandyford).

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Ripwave is right

Ripwave is non los
    Everything else needs los

(And being 3 minutes from their office in Sandyford wouldn't make any difference, as the Ripwave Transmitter is on 3 Rock, not in Sandyford).

Ripwave the reason I said that was that the tech told me they were getting multi mbit signals from 3 rock at sandyford just 3 mins from my house.

Point taken on the NLOS but why was he hanging the damn unit upstairs pointing it at 3 rock ???

OK read that back ... presumably trying to get a stronger signal ( go to the back of the class istep )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Da Man

Neither here nor there, but somebody wispered in my ear that the Ripwave stuff violates the 2.4GHz power regulations.

Still didn't hear back on one of my original questions ... can anyone useing ripwave let me know how they find it is it as good as / better than dsl

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Wait for their 3.5ghz stuff to be in use and then ask the question again

Originally posted by Da Man
    Neither here nor there, but somebody wispered in my ear that the Ripwave stuff violates the 2.4GHz power regulations.
    They might have been violating it last year, but given the performance for the last couple of months, I don't think they're violating it now :(

Still didn't hear back on one of my original questions ... can anyone useing ripwave let me know how they find it is it as good as / better than dsl
    At the moment, the 2.4GHz gear is giving me little better than dialup performance. (slightly better throughput, but worse latency).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭chabsey

Ripwave is not 'technically' LOS but in the absense of a clear and strong signal the tech guy installing it will start wandering around rooms, go upstairs in your house, point it at windows facing three rock and generally act like it is very much related to positioning.

Put it this way, to use Ripwave properly (ie. to get a decent speed out of it) you might not have to be able to *see* the transmitter but in some cases you might have to be very limited in terms of where you can acutally place the device.

Note that this isn't every case, just a couple of cases I've heard of. My own experience of ripwave was that it barely worked and if the clouds aligned correctly and all the leaves on all the trees in Dublin stayed perfectly still then you *might* get connected. Some others have no problems at all, just don't assume that because you're within it's range that it'll work.

Originally posted by chabsey
    Ripwave is not 'technically' LOS but in the absense of a clear and strong signal the tech guy installing it will start wandering around rooms, go upstairs in your house, point it at windows facing three rock and generally act like it is very much related to positioning.
    Obviously, you'll get a better signal in some parts of the house than others. Usually, placing it in a window facing 3 Rock will get a better signal than you'd get stuck in a corner on the other side of the house.

Unfortunately, unlike your average mobile phone, the Ripwave unit doesn't have any way of indicating how strong the signal is at any given time (a 3 colour LED hardly counts, and the software that's supposed to deliver that info to your PC doesn't work with Win2K, Windows XP, or through a firewall).

The more I hear I'm kinda glad it didn't work at my place!

Advertisement